Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Slow-burn is an understatement. I've only seen the Director's Cut, but every time I watch it I end up falling asleep. Took me three views to see the whole thing. The only other movie I have fallen asleep during was the fourth Harry Potter. Maybe now that I'm a fair bit older I can get through Blade Runner in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I tried watching the theatrical cut of Blade Runner a year ago for the first time. My advice to anyone else who has only ever seen the later cuts with no narration: don't do this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

So, I watched An American Tail for the first time since childhood and that's been some time. There are a few subtle bits in there.

- At Ellis Island, a man comes through the line.
Clerk: Name?
Man: [Eastern European-sounding name]
Clerk: OK, Mr. Smith.

- Tiger the cat describes the family he lost, "eight brothers, 10 sisters, three fathers."

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Robert Denby posted:

Hate to get :spergin: on ya, but that's in every version of the movie. It's not a post-production effect either, it was done on set using a beam splitter (basically a series of mirrors that reflect light back into the camera). The reason why Deckard has this at one point is because Harrison Ford happened to walk into where the light was being reflected (its a scene between him and Sean Young right after she's killed Leon).

"Blade Runner" still has a mind-boggling amount of detail to it, though. Ridley Scott actually got someone to design futuristic magazines that could be in prop newstands.

I've always wondered how they did that.

IMDB's Trivia section posted:

Ridley Scott and Jordan Cronenweth achieved the famous 'shining eyes' effect by using a technique invented by 'Fritz Lang' known as the 'Schüfftan Process'; light is bounced into the actors' eyes off a piece of half mirrored glass mounted at a forty five degree angle to the camera.

Oh, and get :spergin:. Most of what I know about this movie I have gleaned from repeated viewings over the years.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress you guys i'm gonna buy the Bluray and a new TV. Its not that i don't own it on DVD and a perfectly working TV or something..

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

poonchasta posted:

I tried watching the theatrical cut of Blade Runner a year ago for the first time. My advice to anyone else who has only ever seen the later cuts with no narration: don't do this.

What is wrong with you? The narration was awful and that movie is a drat masterpiece.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chichevache posted:

The narration was awful

Yeah he's saying not to watch the theatrical release and to stick with the narrative-less versions.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've got the two-disc DVD version of the last major Blade Runner release, though I still want to hunt down the 5-disc tin that was released.

That said, Blade Runner is one of the few films I would willingly pick up on BR if I had a player. Watching the BR version on a big (40+ inch) screen is something everyone should do. It's like when you first saw The Matrix on DVD with a good home cinema set-up and were blown away by what was possible over VHS way back when.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah he's saying not to watch the theatrical release and to stick with the narrative-less versions.

Whoops, don't know how I misread that. I came away with him saying "dont watch the version without narration" somehow.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chichevache posted:

Whoops, don't know how I misread that. I came away with him saying "dont watch the version without narration" somehow.

Wake up, time to die get glasses.

(The way he wrote it was pretty ambiguous.)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
The first version I ever watched was the Director's cut, I had no idea the theatrical version had voice-overs until I watched the making-of documentary. It's an abomination, and completely ruins the dreamlike atmosphere, and just seeing snippets of it is goddamn depressing.

I don't own a blu ray player yet, but when I finally do decide to get one it will be so I can see Bladerunner in HD.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite little touches in The Dark Knight is during the end, when Batman uses his sonar lenses or whatever to catch Joker, it makes his eyes completely white, making him look more like he's always drawn in comics/animation.

I'm not sure if that was intentional (probably not), but I've always thought it was cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Third Man posted:

The first version I ever watched was the Director's cut, I had no idea the theatrical version had voice-overs until I watched the making-of documentary. It's an abomination, and completely ruins the dreamlike atmosphere, and just seeing snippets of it is goddamn depressing.

Harrison Ford apparently hated the idea of the voiceovers and unsuccessfully fought against them. In fact the entire shoot was so grueling (for an example, after two weeks of shooting Scott decided the lighting wasn't good enough and insisted they reshoot everything, putting the project two weeks behind schedule right from the start) that Ford refused to speak about it for years afterwards.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Zushio posted:

Slow-burn is an understatement. I've only seen the Director's Cut, but every time I watch it I end up falling asleep. Took me three views to see the whole thing. The only other movie I have fallen asleep during was the fourth Harry Potter.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever watched "The Last Temptation of Christ" or "The Deer Hunter"? Both of those seem like interesting movies to me, and I have tried to watch each of them several times, but ended up falling asleep every time.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Harrison Ford apparently hated the idea of the voiceovers and unsuccessfully fought against them.

This is one of the reasons the voice over is poo poo, Harrison put on effort into the as an act of protest.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

SkunkDuster posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you ever watched "The Last Temptation of Christ" or "The Deer Hunter"? Both of those seem like interesting movies to me, and I have tried to watch each of them several times, but ended up falling asleep every time.

I loving love Star Wars, but ever since I was little I tend to fall asleep during Return of the Jedi. Don't know what it is about it but the middle act makes me sleepy.

notaspy posted:

This is one of the reasons the voice over is poo poo, Harrison put on effort into the as an act of protest.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arschlochkind posted:

I loving love Star Wars, but ever since I was little I tend to fall asleep during Return of the Jedi. Don't know what it is about it but the middle act makes me sleepy.

Oddly, I get easily bored by some movies with too much action. Something with a lot of slow moments like 2001: A Space Odyssey or The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly really draws my attention.

quote:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Fixing the two typoes, that post reads "This is one of the reasons the voice over is poo poo, Harrison put no effort into them as an act of protest."

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Chamale posted:

Fixing the two typoes, that post reads "This is one of the reasons the voice over is poo poo, Harrison put no effort into them as an act of protest."

Couldn't guess English is my first language! I blame office 2010 for auto-correcting my poo poo grammar and making me lazy everywhere else.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

notaspy posted:

There's a little more to it than that. Most drafts of the script have narration, but no-one was happy with it. Harrison Ford recorded quite a bit of narration under Ridley Scott's direction and neither of them liked it. On the DVD, they play a few outtakes from the sessions, and at the end of one of them Ford just says something like, "Ridley, this is just bizarre. I'm trying here but this is terrible."

Late in post-production, after a disastrous test screening (the workprint version, which has narration only after Batty's death), the producers of the film took over, booted out Ridley Scott, and had someone under their hire write narration. Harrison Ford has said the work was so last minute that the writer was still typing up the narration minutes before they recorded.

Oh, and the happy ending? Those landscape shots are outtakes from the title sequence of "The Shining". Ridley Scott actually got Stanley Kubrick on the phone, who told him where the outtakes were, and Kubrick's only request was that Scott not use any of the footage that was actually in "The Shining".

Back on topic... one of my all-time favorite subtle moments is in "A Prairie Home Companion". Kevin Kline is walking, talking, and opens a champagne bottle. The cork flies off-screen and you hear a faint "Ow!", to which Kline quietly says, "Sorry..." That was the cork hitting Robert Altman.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
In The Meaning of Life, right before the Galaxy Song, you can see a bunch of people behind the scenes either dressing up or getting stuff through the window behind John Cleese. I'll post the Youtube to show you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYSXBsGOVuc

It's right at the beginning, but you can clearly see it's neither of the actors moving. It's not really meant to be there (I don't think) but was probably an oversight on the director's/editor's part.

Also I suppose it's mostly not NWS but it does have a line drawing pregnant woman giving birth towards the end so uh, yeah watch for that.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Toad on a Hat posted:

In The Meaning of Life, right before the Galaxy Song, you can see a bunch of people behind the scenes either dressing up or getting stuff through the window behind John Cleese. I'll post the Youtube to show you:

It's right at the beginning, but you can clearly see it's neither of the actors moving. It's not really meant to be there (I don't think) but was probably an oversight on the director's/editor's part.

Also I suppose it's mostly not NWS but it does have a line drawing pregnant woman giving birth towards the end so uh, yeah watch for that.
I saw that movie a long time ago but isn't that Cleese's character's partner in the other room with the woman's husband?

Edit: I found the beginning of the sketch and its pretty obvious at 2:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o

Ziggy Smalls has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Aug 24, 2012

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Toad on a Hat posted:

Actually, watch the full scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o - the whole scene helps if you've never seen it before, but the relevant part is about 2:15 onwards - the window, weird as it is, is between the kitchen and the main room, and so what you're seeing is continued action by Graham Chapman to extract the organ donor's liver. It's not an oversight - it's specifically there to add more absurdity to the fact that Cleese is hitting on the donor's wife even as her husband is being killed in the other room, and she's kind of receptive to it.

Edit: efb, same link and everything

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
PYF Blade Runner Thing

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I watched 12 Angry Men recently and one of the jurors voiced piglet.

"I just have a feeling that this guy is g-g-g-guilty."

Not particularly subtle I suppose but I went through that whole movie thing "where do I know that voice from".

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lord Lambeth posted:

I watched 12 Angry Men recently and one of the jurors voiced piglet.

"I just have a feeling that this guy is g-g-g-guilty."

Not particularly subtle I suppose but I went through that whole movie thing "where do I know that voice from".

John Fiedler has been acting for 60 years, the dude's been in a ton of stuff and he always sounds like Piglet.

As much as people bitch about modern animated movies using recognizable voices of celebrities, it's been going on for as long as people were making cartoons. Just like how Piglet was just Fielder doing his usual schtick, Ed Wynn can't not sound like the Mad Hatter which makes watching old Twilight Zone reruns even weirder.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mu Cow posted:

In The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly there's a scene where they are walking through a forest and get ambushed by some soldiers. The camera then pans over to reveal a massive fortification teeming with soldiers. It would seem like something they would have noticed long before getting ambushed, but Sergio Leone filmed on the principle that things didn't exist until they were shown on camera.

This is one of those things popularized by Roger Ebert which is true enough in general sense, but not really as big a deal as it sounds. Many movies follow that principle at one point or another, like in Lethal Weapon 2 when a whole fleet of helicopters manages to sneak up on Mel Gibson's beach house. Cheating geography is kind of a basic building block of editing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I just saw The Prestige yesterday. Where do I even begin.

There are a lot of obvious clues to the ending revelation. Most of them are obvious, like all that talk about working with a double, the bird trick, "some days it's true", but one of the more subtle ones is that whenever Angier asks Borden which knot he tied, he replies he doesn't know. Presumably whichever brother Angier happened to ask on both occasions wasn't the one on stage that night.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

My Lovely Horse posted:

Presumably whichever brother Angier happened to ask on both occasions wasn't the one on stage that night.

I don't see how that could be right because Borden writes in his diary that "one half" of him swears he used one knot, the other half the other. Far as I can tell, the only way that makes sense is if the twin who did tie the knot that night lied to his brother and claimed he used the normal knot.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

peer posted:

I don't see how that could be right because Borden writes in his diary that "one half" of him swears he used one knot, the other half the other. Far as I can tell, the only way that makes sense is if the twin who did tie the knot that night lied to his brother and claimed he used the normal knot.

I think the point of that was to help keep the Twin reveal that much more of a surprise. Even in his top secret encoded journal, he maintains the "There's only one of me" act.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Wasn't Borden's diary pretty much a ruse -- meant to occupy, distract and misguide Angier? He knew Olivia would give it to Angier despite leaving him for Borden. So the writing makes sense, in trying to maintain that he was still acting alone.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Watched A Beautiful Mind last night. What a great film. I was clued in to the fact that Charles and Marcee are hallucinations early on. When Nash is talking to Charles, Marcee runs off to play in the grass - and somehow doesn't disturb the pigeons. Nice little moment. I'm sure there are more hints, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Philip J Fry posted:

Wasn't Borden's diary pretty much a ruse -- meant to occupy, distract and misguide Angier? He knew Olivia would give it to Angier despite leaving him for Borden. So the writing makes sense, in trying to maintain that he was still acting alone.

Yes. At the end of the diary (And movie), he writes directly to Angier.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Super when Darbo says he can't show him what's in the closet because he keeps his dog there Detective Felkner says he's dog person, later he's seen drinking from a I Love Cats cup.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

- Tiger the cat describes the family he lost, "eight brothers, 10 sisters, three fathers."

Amusingly, cats are superfecund, meaning that ova can be fertilized by multiple different partners and birthed in one litter. I kind of doubt they were going for that with a throwaway line in "An American Tail," but it is funny.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

In Bunraku, Josh Hartnett's character is scared of heights.
I'm not eloquent enough to explain why I like this, but I'll try.

No one says he is, they don't beat you over the head with the fact, nor is it even any sort of notable plot point. It just so happens that when he's faced with heights, you can tell in his body language. He hesitates, he has to psyche himself up, he holds onto things for dear life.
It only even comes up in 2 scenes (that I noticed), I just thought it was nice to have a character quirk like that without making it something the plot needed to revolve around to move on.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

Slither has a lot of references to older monster movies. My favorites are a store named MacReady's and the town high school being named Earl Basset High School. Kurt Russel's character in The Thing is R. J. MacReady and Earl Basset is Fred Ward's character in the Tremors movies.

Bobblehead Biddy
Nov 6, 2008

Then I will sit here consumed with lust for the rest of the evening!

My Lovely Horse posted:

There are a lot of obvious clues to the ending revelation.

Not to mention that the opening line of the movie is "Are you watching closely?" They straight up tell you you're about to be fooled. And if you do look closely, it's pretty obvious that Fallon is one of the twins in disguise.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Not so sure if this is considered subtle enough but this shot from Drive is my favourite shot in any film, symbolizing the fact the Driver is about to become a dark intrusion on her family.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
My favorite aspect of The Dark Knight Rises, I think, or at least the one I keep coming back to, is Selina Kyle wearing Martha Wayne's pearls at the end. It says so much about the character of Bruce and his development over the course of the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

NGL posted:

My favorite aspect of The Dark Knight Rises, I think, or at least the one I keep coming back to, is Selina Kyle wearing Martha Wayne's pearls at the end. It says so much about the character of Bruce and his development over the course of the trilogy.

That's called an Oedipus complex.