Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Autumncomet posted:

Well, Film Z is also between Fishman Island and the next arc and the anime managed to stick a filler arc between Loguetown and entering Reverse Mountain. v:shobon:v

I don't wanna give away too much but in this case it'd be like if they had thrown in a filler arc while the Merry was flying up Reverse Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Oh, I follow the manga and I really want to get to Punk Hazard too, but I also don't want to see the pacing ruined. :smith:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Autumncomet posted:

I just watched the dub of most of the Davy Back Fight. It goes up until afro Luffy. And my god, they loving nailed the arc's dialogue, Foxy, and Usopp's "does the champion make the afro" speech. It's a pity the arc is so stretched out, because condensed it'd be near perfect.

"So funky! I can feel the jive like a fire in my soul!"

I'm really happy with Foxy's voice too, dude nailed the laugh and he's one of the few characters who I don't mind having some sort of funny accent.

That being said I'm really curious who's going to voice Brook if they ever get to that part.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Autumncomet posted:

Oh, I follow the manga and I really want to get to Punk Hazard too, but I also don't want to see the pacing ruined. :smith:

Yeah, I'd much rather have filler arcs too. Some of them weren't bad. G8 was great, I thought the Ice Hunter stuff was okay, and the one with the giant beetle wasn't awful...Wow that was pretty backhanded actually, but God they're still better than 20 minutes of flashbacks or wide shots of dudes bouncing up and down between two frames while the same stock "group of men running" sound effect plays.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given the popularity of One Piece in Japan I'm kind of surprised they don't just do filler or take a break. I mean, I know Japanese TV works way differently than TV as thought up in the Americas and Europe, but One Piece seems to be popular enough for them to do a little dictating of how stuff gets done. poo poo, run some best of reruns and put the free money in your bank while Oda gets far enough ahead to where the padding isn't so horrible Stevie Wonder wearing earplugs can tell.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Just a few months of "old favorites" or reruns would be enough for them to condense some stuff back together.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm watching the davy back episodes they've added to hulu, and jesus christ. I never watched this part before, but did they really just extend the arc by having luffy agree to another set of games?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

"So funky! I can feel the jive like a fire in my soul!"

I'm really happy with Foxy's voice too, dude nailed the laugh and he's one of the few characters who I don't mind having some sort of funny accent.

That being said I'm really curious who's going to voice Brook if they ever get to that part.
They got Strong World, we'll get him sometime next year! :woop:

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm watching the davy back episodes they've added to hulu, and jesus christ. I never watched this part before, but did they really just extend the arc by having luffy agree to another set of games?
Yes. :negative: They also moved the appearance of Aokiji from the end of the Davy Back Fight to the end of a filler arc.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kingtheninja posted:

It's not like it's something out of character for Luffy to do, and it's probably one of the best instances of "padding" I can think of. Would you rather have 3 extra games or have the original 3 games take twice as long as they need to? I thought it was fine my first time through.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It works yeah but the fact the whole decision happens in about two minutes is why it sucks. Also these games don't seem as fun. And Aokiji happens at the end of filler? Does that mean there's filler AFTER the davy back fight?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Autumncomet posted:

They got Strong World, we'll get him sometime next year! :woop:

Oh yeah forgot about that, radical.

Speaking of radical, here's something they posted to their facebook the other day.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ryaomon posted:

Samuel L Jackson.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Neon Alley, a subscription based anime service for the PS3, adds One Piece to its lineup, both uncut and in English

It's $7 a month, but I really don't think I'd be watching anything else on Neon Alley so it's not worth it for me. Others might jump for it though and at least it shows One Piece is finally becoming viable in North America. :)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why the hell are they launching a console streaming service that has a set schedule? The fact it's also dub only just makes it worse. I was excited at first, hoping it might come to Europe, but poo poo, what's the point when I have to tune in at specific times to catch an episode of a given show and it might not even be one I want to see. :downsgun:

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 21, 2012

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Are they just starting from the beginning? That could be cool to introduce people to the series who are intimidated be the 500+ episodes. Other than that I can't see any reason for this.
EDIT
To the post above me, do you realize you just described cable?

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 21, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The main problem is that this streaming service that works like a cable channel, which is more or less combining the worst of both options.

The second problem is that Neon Alley's catalog is basically stuff that's already on Hulu, outside of a few movies. It looks like the only difference is that most of the stuff here will be dubbed instead of subbed which I'm sure will interest some people, but I'd be surprised if many of them will shell out nearly the cost of a Netflix subscription for less content that they can't access at will.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Senor Candle posted:

To the post above me, do you realize you just described cable?

Yea, but as Srice said, what's the point of launching a cable channel on a console streaming service? It's anachronistic as hell. Netflix style services are the way of the present, never mind the future, and Neon Alley is a step back in to the past for no good reason.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

WhiffleballDude posted:

It's not like it's something out of character for Luffy to do, and it's probably one of the best instances of "padding" I can think of. Would you rather have 3 extra games or have the original 3 games take twice as long as they need to? I thought it was fine my first time through.

The second set was padding? :stare: drat that was clever.

I honestly didn't know or guess. When he shot for the second round I just started laughing my butt off because yep, Luffy would do that.

I agree with the whole Marineford arc though. Too much screaming, crying, and not even any variation in what they were crying about. Too much of that arc was about NOT fighting and they WERE IN A WAR!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is the Arlong Park OVA starting this week or next week?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Is the Arlong Park OVA starting this week or next week?

I've been wondering that myself. This article says it airs on Saturday night, and it makes it sound like they mean this Saturday.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Isnt One Piece a Sunday morning show? It should be out by now then.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

It is, at least the next one of the current series, dunno about the Arlong thing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

No love for the newest episode?

Most of it was just setting up the fight arrangements, but while it lasted, Usopp and Chopper proved once again that their teamwork moments are the best.

I'd also be more than happy with the new Horn Point being used more often. It has a really cool design, and especially when compared to his default form, it better shows off how he's aged and become more confident after his training. That said, I hope he'll reveal some way of using the old version of Horn Point one day. Without it, he only has Walk Point to prove that he is, in fact, a reindeer.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

No love for the newest episode?

Most of it was just setting up the fight arrangements, but while it lasted, Usopp and Chopper proved once again that their teamwork moments are the best.

I'd also be more than happy with the new Horn Point being used more often. It has a really cool design, and especially when compared to his default form, it better shows off how he's aged and become more confident after his training. That said, I hope he'll reveal some way of using the old version of Horn Point one day. Without it, he only has Walk Point to prove that he is, in fact, a reindeer.
I end up skipping through all but around six minutes of the episode because it's just soul-crushing padding. :smith:

The fights are setting up to be great though, but it's going to take god knows how long for them to really pick up, and even then; we'll probably get a minute per fight spread over 8 weeks or longer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode is up. Hordy becomes Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

They didn't skimp on the blood. :unsmigghh:

I have difficulty watching while the episode streams but I can watch it fine afterwards. Anyone else have this issue?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gyges posted:

New Episode is up. Hordy becomes Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living.
With the amount of padding this episode, I'm surprised it didn't take him 15 minutes to transform with an 11 minute flashback to a flashback from a previous episode.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, is anyone actually subbing the Arlong Park OVA? Or is a week just too soon for a sub of it?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I saw on Arlong Park that there were a few groups working on it, Yibis and a few others. It'll probably be out soon. We can link to a sub of it right, since Funimation isn't going to be doing a sub or a dub of the special any time soon?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The Human Human Fruit grants human powers. Horns are not human powers. Nor is tunneling. :colbert:

Vander Decken is really good at living. Luffy's Jet attack didn't keep him down, nor a stab to the chest. In fact, he seemed completely over it by the time he was back to screwing things up. I think Oda should have just let him die from the stab wound, being unconscious because he fell over from an axe he was carrying anyway is kind of silly in my opinion.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

Vander Decken is really good at living. Luffy's Jet attack didn't keep him down, nor a stab to the chest. In fact, he seemed completely over it by the time he was back to screwing things up. I think Oda should have just let him die from the stab wound, being unconscious because he fell over from an axe he was carrying anyway is kind of silly in my opinion.

I think that was the joke. After all that he only passed out by tripping over something.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

The Human Human Fruit grants human powers. Horns are not human powers. Nor is tunneling. :colbert:

Chopper has totally chemically-hacked his fruit.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Chopper has totally chemically-hacked his fruit.

His devil is probably just tripping out on drugs.
"What? Horns as wings? Sure, why not?" :okpos:

It's unfortunate that his medical research into boosting the powers of a devil's fruit conveniently works solely for him.

I guess it's still better than Brook creating musical drugs that affects specific targets, not just anyone that hears it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, Luffy's managed to boost his powers on his own, what with the gears, Robin's powers are already kind of absurd, and I don't really see any way you could boost Brook's.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I was flipping through the channels and came across Top Gear, which put a question in my head. Are Luffy's gears based on automotive or bicycling gears? I ask because if it's the former we've got anywhere from one to three more gears to see, but if it's the latter then there's possibly a shitload more to see.

Shadow0 posted:

I guess it's still better than Brook creating musical drugs that affects specific targets, not just anyone that hears it.

Chances are pretty good that the funkadelic music drugs also work on Luffy, despite his not being the target. It's just that the only thing weaker than his willpower against mind altering states is his attention span.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

well hypnosis is moderately effective.

The main thing keeping Chopper from rumbling up Luffy :science: is he's been doing years and years of research AND self experimentation.

Luffy would never have the patience.

Although, to be perfectly honest do we even know how the guy trains? I've never seen him pick up dumbells or practice his punching. Hell when first pulled out his gears it felt like it was only a theory before he pulled them out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dukeofdummies posted:

Although, to be perfectly honest do we even know how the guy trains? I've never seen him pick up dumbells or practice his punching. Hell when first pulled out his gears it felt like it was only a theory before he pulled them out.
Not seeing him train is a good thing. Training arcs are terrible.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I'm pretty sure Luffy trains by beating wild animals to a pulp. Also, wasn't it said at some point that the rumble ball only works on Zoans? That would explain why Chopper hasn't tried it on the other fruit users.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
It's medicine for Reindeer used to disrupt the energy waves of a Human-Human fruit. Find another reindeer with a different human human fruit and I'm sure they could share his stash. :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Not seeing him train is a good thing. Training arcs are terrible.

Luffy also only really thinks about his fighting style when he loses. Crocodile kicked his rear end because all his attacks were straightforward and the same 5 things, Gear 2 was non-canon retconned by a movie to have been an accidental discovery (theres no way Luffy would have thought that up on his own anyway, though Gear 3 seems like a dumb Luffy idea that happened to work out), and all his new moves are from training by himself for a year and a half on an island filled with monsters.

Up until the timeskip, his new moves were usually "hit harder" or "hit more."