Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Tim, your cochins are adorable and beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Wish I could knock on your door and ask if your chickens could come out and play. It's like I would like to visit Velvet Sparrow and Chido and their chickens too. I'm hoping perhaps next year I might have a little flock.

Tim, when your chickens molt you could probably make a couple of feather pillows!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Found more old photos I had saved away. First two are of a lemon blue cockerel.

Reverend Cleophus James ,the brown-red cockerel at a show somewhere looking awkward.

Charmin the Silkie hen, 30 white hens at this show and she was the best looking,she was holding her self wonderfully and was fitting the standard perfectly,she was a sure thing for show champion as well. Then it happened, her tiny Silkie brain just flipped the switch and she went into mother clucker mode. This picture was snapped after I dragged her out of her corner.

Back to her corner to sit on imaginary eggs.

Judge made his first pass,got her out and was looking at her,impressed,when he came back to compare her to some others she had gone broody and refused to do anything but fuzz and cluck in the corner. Reserve feather leg. :bang:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

LOL that's so funny! Just going from normal to broody so fast is hilarious and adorable, chickens are so dumb yet endearing :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

LOVE that - Mother Clucker Mode - that is hilarious!

Amazing how fast that happens! Lovely prize winning to crazed Mother Clucker in minutes!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 24, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Judge made his first pass,got her out and was looking at her,impressed,when he came back to compare her to some others she had gone broody and refused to do anything but fuzz and cluck in the corner. Reserve feather leg. :bang:

I've never been to any sort of poultry show so I have no idea what goes on there. I don't understand why she was disqualified? Aren't they mainly judging for looks? Why would she disqualified just for acting broody? :(

Also, Reverend Cleophus James is gorgeous. I really like his comb and he's got such beautiful feathers. Is he also a lemon blue?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

It's hard to judge a bird that refuses to stand up and just hunkers down in the corner. They judge based on feathering,body type and how the bird holds it self. All they can really tell if the bird goes broody is thats it's really fuzzy and angry.:(

Cleophus is Brown-Red, the little bird in the pictures above him is lemon-blue.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Broodyism is infectious. The judge must have touched another broody hen and passed it to your girl. :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Those drat hormones/pheromones!

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

coyo7e posted:

"Whenever you want some nuggets"? What exactly does this mean? Do you think you can just get chicken mcnuggets by casually pulling them off of your chickens? Have you ever slaughtered a bird and cleaned it?

Also, raising and caring animals because you would like to "just be able to step out the back door for free food" is idiotic. You don't raise animals to increase convenience, you start a window herb garden. You raise animals to improve your quality of life.

Many people do exactly this, regardless of how you feel about it. In many of our grandparent's time it was common, and the animals were better treated than the animals in the factory/farms that provide meat to stores and fast food franchises.

Which is more honest; to raise, kill and eat your own food or buy it prepackaged in a bag so you don't have to look it in the eyes beforehand?

Where do you get your nuggets?

Quality of life includes being able to eat something without fear of additives and hormones as well as the knowledge that the animal was happy and well cared for before it gets to the table.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

TIM YOU ARE KILLING ME WITH THOSE COCHIN PICTURES. My absolute favorite breed, and right now I only have two--Boots, a partridge hen and Moet, a buff Frizzle hen. Both of whom are 9 years old. :smith:

I need new bantam Cochins in the WORST WAY. If you ever have any Cochins that need a good home, let me know.

Also, Pepper isn't a chicken, she is a puddle. One of the Chickam names someone suggested fits her to a 'T': The Oncoming Fluff. :keke:

coyo7e, lots and LOTS of people raise chickens for both meat and eggs, the fun and companionship of them is secondary. Home-grown meat and eggs are some of the most amazing-tasting, fresh, healthy and fulfilling things ever. Being self-sufficient, no matter if it's raising your own meat, gardening/canning or whatever, is very empowering and satisfying--and lots of small farmers supply local produce and meat/eggs that more and more people are turning to as a healthier alternative to factory produced food.

BTW, anyone who keeps livestock animals that happen to produce food can tell you, it's hardly 'free food'. There is a lot of money, sweat and time that goes into keeping livestock.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tim the Enchanter posted:

It's hard to judge a bird that refuses to stand up and just hunkers down in the corner. They judge based on feathering,body type and how the bird holds it self. All they can really tell if the bird goes broody is thats it's really fuzzy and angry.:(

Poultry shows need to give out an award for most Fuzzy and Angry Broody Hen! Your broody girl was still lovely and adorable. I don't think it's fair they would take off points for her suddenly going all broody 'n' moody.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

As long as we're sharing broody pics, here are Boots and Moet, our two Bantam Cochins in action!

Moet in 2001 with 5 chicks, not hers but heck she didn't care! Since she'd hatched them in the coop with all the other chickens, we moved her and the babies into a cardboard box in our living room.

\

Moet also fostered chicks in 2009 (the pics of her and the babies asleep on the couch), and if she or Boots are still around next Spring and go broody like they do every year, we'll offer next year's Chickam chicks to them to mother.

Boots in 2006, in this pic she is clamped down on 7 chicks.

Running around in the living room, chasing mealworms.

Mealworm tug o' war! Terrific fun for the chicks...not so much so for the bug.

First dustbath with mom, pure chicken-y bliss!

Cochins, like Silkies, make excellent mamas. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Rusty being an Angry Bird.

I see murder in those eyes :ohdear:

I've been thinking that if Turkey goes broody again when I get the chicks, I'll try having her adopt them. I get the feeling she's the only hen that wouldn't try to rip my face off if I get close to her babies.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Rusty gives good Broody Glare.

Also, just 'cause it's hilarious, Moet from the top:

And from the back:

She really DOES look like a champagne bubble. :keke:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

She's adorable :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Boots is such a pretty hen. :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Moet and her babies from 2001.

Boots in 2006, in this pic she is clamped down on 7 chicks.

Moet looks like she is so incredibly happy in this shot!

This image of Boots with a baby nesting on her back is seriously one of the cutest photos I have ever seen. :3:

Chido posted:

Rusty being an Angry Bird. I see murder in those eyes :ohdear:

Rusty is such a fluffy, angry broody! Was she growling at you while you were taking the photos? Look at the death lasers she's got for eyes! :D

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also, just 'cause it's hilarious, Moet from the top:

Moet is doing her impression of a large pine cone! VS, you definitely need more Frizzles!

Velvet Sparrow! I'd love to see more photos from Chickam 2009 and 2010! I missed those years! Or any more chicken photos you'd like to post. You always take such amusing pictures! :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I love the BEWARE BROODY HEN WITH CHICKS on the side of the box! AHA HA HA I'm laughing so hard I have tears!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 25, 2012

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Angry Birds: IRL Edition.

Never mind the pigs.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

So, there's a reason why I only have 29 sex link pullets right now. Meet number 30, who was cornered nearly pecked to death by the brown hens. In the space of about an hour they had totally skinned her head and neck. Not being the wasteful sort of person I put it out of it's misery and since it was the size of a cornish game hen I figured I might as well toss it in the freezer until I felt like having some chicken for dinner. E: Killing a chicken humanely and then dressing it is not hard to do. You truss the legs, chop the head off (they DO tend to flutter a bit when you do this but it is a very quick death), hang it upside down to let the blood drain. If you want to keep the skin you scald them to make feather plucking easier. If you don't want to keep the skin you just use a knife to cut the the skin near the breast and then peel. The offal is the only hard part, you have to reach up inside and pull it out without puncturing the organs. The lungs are the hardest part to remove because they are attached to inside of the carcase near the neck, chances are your first few times you won't remove them fully, don't worry about it. Once you've dressed a chicken a few times you get the hang of it and can do it fairly quickly and humanely.

Oh god the eggening. As of today the ones in the yellow container are 2 weeks old, the rest have been laid more recently than that. I like egg salad and pickled eggs so I tend to let them sit around awhile until they're old enough for easy post-boil peeling. I'll probably be cooking most of the pictured eggs this weekend.
[/quote]

Fermented Tinial:

I'm jealous - I LOVE egg salad sandwiches - I refuse to purchase eggs at the store so it's been YEARS since I've had one. You're awesome - to be able to harvest your own meat. I saw a few videos on the youtube. Learned a lot.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

:siren: First eggs from this year's Chickam hens today! :siren:

Two tiny, pigeon-sized eggs plus one slightly bigger, all in the bottom row. The two eggs on the top are Brahma/Giant Cochin eggs for comparison.

Pretty sure the two tiny ones are d'Uccle eggs, the other one is a mystery! Tons of mating going on from all three youngster roos, so no doubt these are fertile.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 26, 2012

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
My coop progress so far:

bought a book:

looked closer at cover and dreamed up some measurements:

had some old telephone poles, a few sheets of roofing tin, and used lumber. I threw them together (including a bathroom window left over from a construction project) under a big shade tree:

I didn't make it big enough, so I extended the back of the pen behind the hen house using an old dock walkway that was just wasting away in some tall grass behind my tool shed. (this also works as a raised platform to stand on when getting eggs out of the nesting boxes that I will add to the back of the hen house):

added lumber around the perimeter of the floor:

leveled the ground with rake & shovel, used old plywood that I had in shed for sides and front of hen house:

put on some hardware cloth for opening around top of hen house for ventilation:

put hinges on side walls of house:

added sand to floor of coop:

framed the whole thing up (so that sides would be square and straight for wire) and then stretched hardware cloth across bottom half, and chicken wire on the top half, then added my Wheaten Marans chickens (raised from one day old!)

made a drawer system for easy clean out:

chickens standing around insulted because the house is not painted yet:

things yet to do:
paint
exterior roosting perch
nesting boxes with outside access
Colonel Sanders portrait for interior of hen house

What I've learned so far:
Wait till winter to build a project like this - it's been way too hot!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:siren: First eggs from this year's Chickam hens today! :siren:

Two tiny, pigeon-sized eggs plus one slightly bigger, all in the bottom row. The two eggs on the top are Brahma/Giant Cochin eggs for comparison.

Pretty sure the two tiny ones are d'Uccle eggs, the other one is a mystery! Tons of mating going on from all three youngster roos, so no doubt these are fertile.

Congrats! Are all the chickens doing well? After your move and the new chicks and the new chicken house there were a lot of changes going on! I know I sound like a broken record, thank you VS for sharing! Hope your MIL is doing well.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Bantaras posted:

My coop progress so far:

bought a book:

looked closer at cover and dreamed up some measurements:

had some old telephone poles, a few sheets of roofing tin, and used lumber. I threw them together (including a bathroom window left over from a construction project) under a big shade tree:

I didn't make it big enough, so I extended the back of the pen behind the hen house using an old dock walkway that was just wasting away in some tall grass behind my tool shed. (this also works as a raised platform to stand on when getting eggs out of the nesting boxes that I will add to the back of the hen house):

added lumber around the perimeter of the floor:

leveled the ground with rake & shovel, used old plywood that I had in shed for sides and front of hen house:

put on some hardware cloth for opening around top of hen house for ventilation:

put hinges on side walls of house:

added sand to floor of coop:

framed the whole thing up (so that sides would be square and straight for wire) and then stretched hardware cloth across bottom half, and chicken wire on the top half, then added my Wheaten Marans chickens (raised from one day old!)

made a drawer system for easy clean out:

chickens standing around insulted because the house is not painted yet:

things yet to do:
paint
exterior roosting perch
nesting boxes with outside access
Colonel Sanders portrait for interior of hen house

What I've learned so far:
Wait till winter to build a project like this - it's been way too hot!

Bantaras - lovely looking! How many chickens are you building for? I'm thinking of starting a small flock next year, maybe 6 (but you know chicken math!) How many chickens do you have and how much bigger would you have gone. I see 8 by 10 feet. I love the look of your set up!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

18 days after being attacked by a fox, Pip finally laid an egg again this morning. Such a relief, was concerned her egg system had got backed up and she was possibly heading towards egg peritonitus.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

spookygonk posted:

18 days after being attacked by a fox, Pip finally laid an egg again this morning. Such a relief, was concerned her egg system had got backed up and she was possibly heading towards egg peritonitus.

HOORAY for Pip. So it appears she has made a full recovery!?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Velvet Sparrow posted:

santa baby, not to be mean, and in the gentlest possible way--but if you can't afford to properly protect your chickens perhaps you should rethink having chickens for now. They are on the menu for many, many predators (not to mention little critters that are attracted to chicken food, get in and carry disease) and their first and most overwhelming need is a good, strong coop and run. Just out of curiosity, how big is your run? Making the run a bit smaller at first and then expanding it a few months later might work. Perhaps hunting around (like on Craigslist or a recycled building materials store) for wire someone wants removed (trading your hard work for the wire) and reusing it would help bring the cost down...?

When we moved, we dismantled and moved the entire chicken run, including all that damned 1/2 inch hardware cloth (welded wire). It IS expensive, and the pain in the butt of taking apart the run and building it again was weighed against the cost of buying the wire all over again--the pain in the butt hard work won easily. But then again we'd built it once, and doing it the second time was MUCH easier and faster. So our welded wire run has been in use for 10+ years and took the abuse of being taken apart, moved and rebuilt--and still looks brand new, no holes, rust or weak spots.

I've heard so many heartbreaking stories of whole-flock massacres and fatal maimings from people who didn't use welded wire hardware cloth that I'll never use anything else and have total confidence in the stuff. It's because of the horrific stories I've heard from people who kick themselves afterwards that I am so adamant about not using anything else, forgive the soapbox. :)

This, and Chido's response, is all very reasonable -- I just objected to the unqualified "everybody uses quarter-inch welded wire". When people actually talk details about their setup, as you and Chido have done, it looks like half-inch is what people use if they need to be secure. I have vent openings in the coop covered by half-inch mesh as well. I stand by saying that quarter inch is generally unnecessary.

Our run is about 25x15 feet for 4 hens, and I can walk in it. And of course it's never a matter of "can't afford" -- it's always a cost-benefit tradeoff. I guess I'll say that so far we've been doing well with the reinforced 2x4 welded wire, and if anything bad happens we'll adapt. Actually, I expected to see a lot of small rodents going after the feed, but the hanging feeder seems to be working rather well in that regard.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

hey santa baby posted:

This, and Chido's response, is all very reasonable -- I just objected to the unqualified "everybody uses quarter-inch welded wire". When people actually talk details about their setup, as you and Chido have done, it looks like half-inch is what people use if they need to be secure. I have vent openings in the coop covered by half-inch mesh as well. I stand by saying that quarter inch is generally unnecessary.

Our run is about 25x15 feet for 4 hens, and I can walk in it. And of course it's never a matter of "can't afford" -- it's always a cost-benefit tradeoff. I guess I'll say that so far we've been doing well with the reinforced 2x4 welded wire, and if anything bad happens we'll adapt. Actually, I expected to see a lot of small rodents going after the feed, but the hanging feeder seems to be working rather well in that regard.

Well, in my defense, I finally figured out that the wire in y coop is half an inch. I'm sorry Santa Baby, I grew up using the metric system and I still have some problems visualizing measurements in inches. So I agree, half an inch is pretty good. XD

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Some more white cochin pullets,both these are fairly young,just 8 weeks but they're developing nicely.

I finally finished putting up the long sides of my new barn,now gotta install vent fans and get the doors built on the ends. After that ill be building enclosed runs off the sides with interior access for the birds. Havent been working as fast as id like,havent had time in between work to build.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Tim the Enchanter, do you wait to name them, after you have decided to cull them or not? I know, this probably sounds like a stupid question.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

I usually name at 6-7 weeks since by that time ill have weeded out most defects. The 2 pullets above dont have names yet.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Your cochins are so pretty :3: If I lived in your town (and if it wasn't rather creepy) I would love going to your farm and see your chickens, they are just so pretty!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

piscesbobbie posted:

HOORAY for Pip. So it appears she has made a full recovery!?
Thanks. She's still improving day by day but not quite there yet. Her jumping skills are getting better (up / down steps & up into flower beds) and she's getting higher without hurting herself. She can now properly sit down and also dust bathe. It's good to see Pip's taking it easy with her recovery, she's not trying to do too much too soon.

Only thing of notice is the feathers on top of her rump and tail are looking unkempt, so I think she's still having trouble reaching that far round to preen them. The feathers in her bald patches are coming through at a rate of knots and we have another egg from her today.

Pip's steely eye is definitely back and she's (re)asserting her position as top hen.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 27, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Glad to hear pip is doing well.. :)

My chicks are 5 weeks old today! And their coop is almost finished. They will be in it tonight or tomorrow.

My favorite chicken is Bubbles, the white rock:

She likes to help me feed everyone else. as soon as I lift the next off the box she flies up to see me:

She is also the only one that will occasionally come and jump into my lap for attention.

The dogs are getting use to the chickens. Sasquatch is the most intrigued/obsessed.

and, The little seabright bantam can be such a LOUD MOUTH:
http://youtu.be/8uq-SfGIhe8

the video is a little long, but you can skip towards the end to hear her out her loudest.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

GREYCIOUS- Beautiful birds. Your little sebright is sooooo cute. Was there talk that perhaps she was a rooster? She is VERY loud! So adorable.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Greycious and Tim the Enchanter: I really enjoyed seeing the photos of your cute chickens! Thanks for sharing them!

Found this image on Reddit's front page today. I see a few chickens there with the turkeys (at least I think they're turkeys?).
VVV Edit: okay, they are guinea fowl. Thanks Chido! :)

"Some poo poo is about to go down."

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 27, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

They are guinea fowl :).

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Greycious and Tim the Enchanter: I really enjoyed seeing the photos of your cute chickens! Thanks for sharing them!

Found this image on Reddit's front page today. I see a few chickens there with the turkeys (at least I think they're turkeys?).
VVV Edit: okay, they are guinea fowl. Thanks Chido! :)

"Some poo poo is about to go down."

The chickens are clearly thinking they've hit the giant mealworm jackpot. I can only imagine the amount of noisy cackling that was going on, especially from the guineas.

Rose Wreck
Jun 15, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The chickens are clearly thinking they've hit the giant mealworm jackpot. I can only imagine the amount of noisy cackling that was going on, especially from the guineas.

Did anyone identify it? Hard to tell from this angle and side, and it's too grainy to tell if it's rough-scaled, but that looks uncomfortably like a big ol' rattler (markings vary by region! Fat body, sudden taper to tail, broad flat head... good thing those birds are as far as they are.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Rose Wreck posted:

Did anyone identify it? Hard to tell from this angle and side, and it's too grainy to tell if it's rough-scaled, but that looks uncomfortably like a big ol' rattler (markings vary by region! Fat body, sudden taper to tail, broad flat head... good thing those birds are as far as they are.)

The snake was identified an Eastern Diamondback rattler and evidently guinea fowl like killing and eating snakes.

That image I found was actually taken from this badly-edited video (stupid music with no audio and it does NOT show the aftermath of the guinea fowl VS. the rattlesnake).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUu-GcLSoHc