Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Moon Slayer posted:

Here's a test post for a possible Star Wars: The Old Republic LP.

The Old Republic Test Post

Some things I think need improving: I don't quite have the hang of taking screenshots at the right times yet, so I tend to miss some stuff. Since TOR has non-repeatable cut scenes, I can't really go back and catch things I miss. Also I'm worried about the size of the screenshots. Are they too big?

Also, the in-game subtitles are too small to read in the screenshots, which leaves me doubling the text. I've poked around the game settings but can't find any way to make the subtitles bigger.

For those that don't know anything about The Old Republic, there are actually eight different classes and each one has it's own unique storyline. I played the Smuggler class in the test post, but I'll probably present a summary of the different classes in the OP and then let people vote on which one I play.

So, what can I do to make it better?
I really don't see any large problems with this, though personally I'd say reduce the size of the character portraits. Otherwise it might be interesting to see another MMO done as a SSLP (since the Star Trek one actually was fairly entertaining). It's just a bit surprising the game seems so empty. Is that just due to it being a starting area or is the game really that dead?

Xeras posted:

I forgot to ask what do you intend to do to differentiate this from the current LP? While there is certainly nothing wrong with two LPs of a game I'm not sure how much interest I would have in two LPs of it unless they offer very different gameplay. I might even suggest something like doing areas out of order but that's just an idea.
I'm assuming one of the larger differences would just be maybe an actually skilled and knowledgeable one, as Geop's current LP of the game is working more off his personal exploration of the game and people have mentioned in the thread wanting to see something of a skill run similar to what Squint did with Demon's Souls. Also since Zain is playing the PC version it already has the new DLC that the console versions don't have yet which he'll probably also be showing off. Really even in the original Demon's Souls thread there were another two runs of the game going on in the thread at the same time as the initial LP, so there's plenty of ways to make it different though it is hard to tell just from the initial test post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
For those who critiqued my second attempt, essentially I just have to make sure to remember to resize all images to 843 x 480, eliminate the row of black pixels on the top and right of each image, make the first post a bit longer, and I should be good to post the thread?

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

quote:

:darksouls:

"They gave him a huge rear end because, hey, that's where you're supposed to be." That's, like, my philosophy on life.

I think it looks fairly good, and I'm enjoying it as a skillful run. I also like how you're playing as the pyromancer, since that's actually a character I've been playing a fresh run of myself.

Only tip I could provide is to fool around with auto-ducking so that you're a bit louder, since the game does drown you out a bit. I also recommend linking to the boss musics in the thread, because god drat, :darksouls:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Moon Slayer posted:

I don't quite have the hang of taking screenshots at the right times yet, so I tend to miss some stuff. Since TOR has non-repeatable cut scenes, I can't really go back and catch things I miss.

If possible, record the gameplay and then take screenshots of the video. That way, you won't miss a crucial screenshot, and you could also upload videos of the cutscenes.

Or even just record and take screenshots as you go, then use the video to get any you missed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Moon Slayer posted:

Some things I think need improving: I don't quite have the hang of taking screenshots at the right times yet, so I tend to miss some stuff.
What I've been told is the way to go and am currently trying to figure out - record the game as you play, take screenshots (and youtube videos / gifs / etc) from the footage.

Edit - Ugh, missed the fact that there's a new page.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Niggurath posted:

Is that just due to it being a starting area or is the game really that dead?

A little bit of both I would imagine. He could also be on one of the less populated servers that have a couple hundred people at most.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Xeras posted:

I forgot to ask what do you intend to do to differentiate this from the current LP? While there is certainly nothing wrong with two LPs of a game I'm not sure how much interest I would have in two LPs of it unless they offer very different gameplay. I might even suggest something like doing areas out of order but that's just an idea.

Well I do plan on being more informitive for sure, show of high skilled play. (Not to say Geop is bad of-course) and I always to run things my own way. I mean first thing is always first is to take out the Taurus Demon, but other than that I'm not going to be using the Drake Sword. Not sure if Geop is using that, but it's a MAJOR crutch in the game.

Also yeah I understand slowing the commentary down. I'm going to reshoot the whole thing because yeah there are parts where I'm happy of what happened and there are more parts I'm not.

One of the main things I'm doing is being human ALL the time. So we'll get invasions by NPCs or even PCs. Also I know where all these invasions occur. I might hate myself for doing this but I could also do the latter half of blighttown first. Also get some of the hidden Summons to help out on boss fights, since there are A LOT of NPCs you don't see unless it's a summon.

Though, I haven't seen Geop's LP so I'm not sure what he's done outside of the first level.

Right now though with the changes I've made in the video's audio and visual is there anything more I can improve on the technical side?

Mezurya posted:

"They gave him a huge rear end because, hey, that's where you're supposed to be." That's, like, my philosophy on life.

I think it looks fairly good, and I'm enjoying it as a skillful run. I also like how you're playing as the pyromancer, since that's actually a character I've been playing a fresh run of myself.

Only tip I could provide is to fool around with auto-ducking so that you're a bit louder, since the game does drown you out a bit. I also recommend linking to the boss musics in the thread, because god drat, :darksouls:

Thank you very much. Yeah the music is awesome and I didn't want to try and drown it out too much. So Autoducking might be a better idea than what I was initially doing.

Also I'll also do a broken sword fight with the first boss as a bonus.

Zain fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 26, 2012

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Moon Slayer posted:

Some things I think need improving: I don't quite have the hang of taking screenshots at the right times yet, so I tend to miss some stuff. Since TOR has non-repeatable cut scenes, I can't really go back and catch things I miss. Also I'm worried about the size of the screenshots. Are they too big?

Also, the in-game subtitles are too small to read in the screenshots, which leaves me doubling the text. I've poked around the game settings but can't find any way to make the subtitles bigger.

For those that don't know anything about The Old Republic, there are actually eight different classes and each one has it's own unique storyline. I played the Smuggler class in the test post, but I'll probably present a summary of the different classes in the OP and then let people vote on which one I play.

To start with, take a Fraps (or camtasia + lagarith, or whatever) video, and take your screens with that. What you can do for the subtitles, if you're willing to, is either lower the resolution so that it appears bigger on the screen, OR, black it out in photoshop or what have you and sub over it. I'm sure someone here has knowledge of a program that can batch something like that for the second option.

As for update content, I can't tell since I can't currently open it up and check.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Niggurath posted:

I really don't see any large problems with this, though personally I'd say reduce the size of the character portraits. Otherwise it might be interesting to see another MMO done as a SSLP (since the Star Trek one actually was fairly entertaining). It's just a bit surprising the game seems so empty. Is that just due to it being a starting area or is the game really that dead?

I'll definitely reduce the size of the portraits. As for other people there were a few running around but I went out of my way to not get them in any screenshots. But it really is kind of a dead game unless you are on a few select servers.

Mega64 posted:

If possible, record the gameplay and then take screenshots of the video. That way, you won't miss a crucial screenshot, and you could also upload videos of the cutscenes.

Or even just record and take screenshots as you go, then use the video to get any you missed

Pythonicus posted:

To start with, take a Fraps (or camtasia + lagarith, or whatever) video, and take your screens with that.

I'll look into this for sure. What's a good program to use for that? One of the previously mentioned ones and then IrfanView to take the screenshots, or do those programs have a feature to take screens of the video? I should probably post that question in the Tech Support Fort, though.

One more thing I'm worried about. This game combines Bioware, MMOs, and Star Wars, three things that can equal a lot of angry posting and really lovely threads. I'm trying to think of thread rules I could make to try and keep things from getting out of hand, but I really don't want to put something like "No discussing sexism!" or "No fighting about Bioware!" in the OP. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to keep the thread from turning into a big fanboy fight?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Moon Slayer posted:

I'll look into this for sure. What's a good program to use for that? One of the previously mentioned ones and then IrfanView to take the screenshots, or do those programs have a feature to take screens of the video? I should probably post that question in the Tech Support Fort, though.

One more thing I'm worried about. This game combines Bioware, MMOs, and Star Wars, three things that can equal a lot of angry posting and really lovely threads. I'm trying to think of thread rules I could make to try and keep things from getting out of hand, but I really don't want to put something like "No discussing sexism!" or "No fighting about Bioware!" in the OP. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to keep the thread from turning into a big fanboy fight?

I would always recommend FRAPS myself. It costs a bit, but it takes the best video. As for the angry posting, I'd say just keep an eye on the thread as much as you can. In the Dragon Age thread, arguments would pop up occasionally, but they generally died out decently fast.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zain posted:

Alrighty, so I just got a little clip of everything people have addressed so far.

Dark Souls TEST CLIP I've lowered the gamma, decreased the game volume, and I hopefully got rid of the screen blending. Anything else is still subject to change from the original video.

Is there anything else?

Well, assuming this is the PC version, it's worth noting that the new content still is subject to the three month rule...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hey guys,

I'm doing sporadic screenshot updates in my Mega Man Zero thread, the below image links to the latest:

I thought I might gather some comments on if everything I do is cool or if there's room to improve in the thread, but it's kinda slow going. So as it's the fourth time I've done a screenshot update period, I'd just like a little style critique. Have I read the best long enough to not make rookie mistakes, is my pacing working, should I split them up more, how about that big rant in the middle, put it maybe in pastebin for people to read if they're really interested, or does it really not matter that much? I did so for the first update, but I wonder. Would be nice if you could spare a few words, thanks :)!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Zorak posted:

Well, assuming this is the PC version, it's worth noting that the new content still is subject to the three month rule...

It is the PC version, thank you so much in responding to that. I wasn't 100% sure and I was about to PM some mods to get the full verdict of it. Kind of lovely that it is, but not that bad. I can make it work since it'll be more of a chilled pace through the game.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Zorak posted:

Honestly, I'm sure it's set up to where he could dodge the new content until three months have passed. Plus, by the time he gets to them in the LP (depending upon his pacing), they might be fair game :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Geop posted:

Honestly, I'm sure it's set up to where he could dodge the new content until three months have passed. Plus, by the time he gets to them in the LP (depending upon his pacing), they might be fair game :v:

Yeah from my understanding I'll have to save Dusk which is completely situational over all. So it's really all choice on which I do and when. So since it's 3 month rule I'll just wait until the 3 months to actually do the extra content.

I'm sure that's what he was talking about though.

Edit: Oh yeah and there's something in Ash Lake, which means I'm almost never going to see it because really gently caress the path to ash lake. (I will show it off eventually)

Zain fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 26, 2012

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Moon Slayer posted:

The text isn't really that small, I can read it just fine. Though I could see why others would want the text doubled, it's a bit jarring to basically read the same lines twice. You may be better off just removing subtitles entirely, but I can't remember if that's in the options or not.

Apart from that it seems fine. Once the thread starts I'm going to try to cast 100 separate votes for the Imperial Agent class because it's by far the best story in the game, at least in my opinion.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Niggurath posted:

It's just a bit surprising the game seems so empty. Is that just due to it being a starting area or is the game really that dead?

Sith Empire players outnumber Republic players 10-1 on every server, so it was kinda like this even at launch. But yeah, like Moon Slayer said it's also due to the game being dead for the most part.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Here's a second test post for Pokemon White. I'm working off the same screenshots but I reworked the commentary and stopped transcribing all the text, instead summarizing dialogue. Because of that I got a little more of the game in there. Also now I put in move information boxes and tried to make explanations a little more... 'organic,' I guess? Better, whatever.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Zellus posted:

Sith Empire players outnumber Republic players 10-1 on every server, so it was kinda like this even at launch. But yeah, like Moon Slayer said it's also due to the game being dead for the most part.

Probably doesn't help that they decided to make a World of Warcraft clone, but didn't have the massive amount of end game variety that keeps people playing the former, but not this. I understand the game is going free to play, with the pretty good (as I understand it) story content being free, and the rather lacking (again, as I understand it) end game content being what you have to pay for...

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Here's a second test post for Pokemon White. I'm working off the same screenshots but I reworked the commentary and stopped transcribing all the text, instead summarizing dialogue. Because of that I got a little more of the game in there. Also now I put in move information boxes and tried to make explanations a little more... 'organic,' I guess? Better, whatever.

Yes, perfect. You're good to go.

Edit-Did you have a possible thread title to go with the last test post?

Thunderfinger fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 26, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Another question for the Old Republic guy. How are you planning on handeling flash points and other such roup areas. I know a few off the top of my head that are solo-able below the recommended level, but I figured it would b safe to have a group to make those easier.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Thunderfinger posted:

Yes, perfect. You're good to go.

Edit-Did you have a possible thread title to go with the last test post?

Espeon Supremacists Unite - Let's Play Pokemon White

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The White Dragon posted:

So would a Pokemon Black/White thread that doesn't wind up with race jokes be the shiny version? Because, swear to god, those things are so loving rare.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Here's a test post for Fantasy Maiden Wars E, a Touhou parody of Super Robot Wars.

I'm kind of worried I was too wordy. Also, whenever I say "later" I almost always mean the second update, where I'll be going over the rest of the game's basic mechanics.

Heren
Jul 11, 2012

After seeing how amazing the TWEWY LP was (though granted part of the credit definitely goes to the game itself) I'm really looking forward to this. The attack stat blocks are good additions, and the destroyed room lines are well-timed to break up the more technical explanations with some humor. Glad you pointed out the footprints on the walls too, not sure if I noticed that the first time.

Overall, great job. One thing I think could be added is pointing out "Special" is the series "Magic" equivalent. You could address this when you explain tackle is a physical attack (add an "as opposed to" line or such) or after the level-up when we see the relevant stat gains.

Quick question on the type limitation though - are you planning on making it inclusive or exclusive for dual-types?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Niggurath posted:

But I'd say if anything that you might want to slow down a tad bit and take in the scenery. At times it felt like you were rushing through the starting area, not even really giving notice to things you were seeing, and not letting the audience soak in the feel of the game.

You know, I'm going to disagree with this. The entire reason I can't get into Geop's LP is because he moves SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOW because it's a blind LP and he looks at everything. People obviously like this so I'm not criticizing him but if we're going to have another Dark Souls LP I'm fine with not taking in the scenery and moving it a little bit faster.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Proteus4994 posted:

You know, I'm going to disagree with this. The entire reason I can't get into Geop's LP is because he moves SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOOW because it's a blind LP and he looks at everything. People obviously like this so I'm not criticizing him but if we're going to have another Dark Souls LP I'm fine with not taking in the scenery and moving it a little bit faster.
Aye, but he's moving at a pace that his commentary isn't keeping up. I know what you mean though; I'd just prefer if someone could take in the scenery and not be lost/wondering into every room to find out that it's empty, while showing the game off to it's relative fullness.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So would a Pokemon Black/White thread that doesn't wind up with race jokes be the shiny version? Because, swear to god, those things are so loving rare.

One might suggest that the shiny version would be the most racist LP one could possibly manage to produce.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The White Dragon posted:

As if there were a single Eevee to even turn into an Espeon in White. I suppose having an OP wherein I say that no old Pokemon show up before the postgame would help, huh?

Also, I had forgotten that people make race jokes with the two games and I plan on not doing that.

Heren posted:

One thing I think could be added is pointing out "Special" is the series "Magic" equivalent. You could address this when you explain tackle is a physical attack (add an "as opposed to" line or such) or after the level-up when we see the relevant stat gains.

At level 7 Oshawott and Tepig learn special attacks, and Panpour has one if I get Snivy, so it'd be then when I actually have special attack that I go over the difference.

quote:

Quick question on the type limitation though - are you planning on making it inclusive or exclusive for dual-types?

Exclusive, I think is the word? Getting Snivy means no grass, grass/bug, or grass/poison. The only exception is Tepig and Scrafty because the two are just different enough to justify it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Brainamp posted:

Another question for the Old Republic guy. How are you planning on handeling flash points and other such roup areas. I know a few off the top of my head that are solo-able below the recommended level, but I figured it would b safe to have a group to make those easier.

This isn't going to be a 100% run of the game, since that would take forever. I'm planning on mostly just showing off the planet and class quests since they contain the most narrative, with a few sidequests that are the most interesting, story-wise. So probably no Heroics.

As for Flashpoints, they take place outside the narrative, but I was still planning on showing them off. When I got to them I was planning on asking the thread if anyone wanted to participate and, if nobody did or had characters of that level I would probably just run them with random people using the group finder.

BlackFrost posted:

Apart from that it seems fine. Once the thread starts I'm going to try to cast 100 separate votes for the Imperial Agent class because it's by far the best story in the game, at least in my opinion.

I agree, even though I still haven't gotten around to finishing Chapter 1 of the IA. I'll post in the OP that in a lot of people's opinions the Imperial Agent, Smuggler, and Light Side Sith Warrior have the best storylines and to take that into consideration when voting. And then everyone will vote Bounty Hunter.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Moon Slayer posted:

And then everyone will vote Bounty Hunter.

Mostly cause it's the best class :colbert:

Yeah I didn't figure you were going to show off every single thing in the game, but some of the flash points are still pretty fun to play.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I like it! I say you're pretty much good to go.

One minor thing: plurals do not get apostrophes, as in "Professor's" in the game's introduction.

I know you said you're going to be summarizing the dialog, but I think the exchange between Cheren and Bianca about the dangers of battling indoors needs to be shown off in its entirety! (I would hope you would do the same for any really amusing and/or important conversations).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BlitzBlast posted:

Here's a test post for Fantasy Maiden Wars E, a Touhou parody of Super Robot Wars.

I'm kind of worried I was too wordy. Also, whenever I say "later" I almost always mean the second update, where I'll be going over the rest of the game's basic mechanics.

Looks fine to me, and the only problem I have with this is that Keine's just too sensible to be a Super- at least, the way she is right now :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The stars have finally aligned and I have managed to put together some footage for the Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix LP that I have been planning for a while. Let me know what I can improve about this video. Also, you can turn on accelerated CPU speed and 32-Bit Color Depth, but not until you get to the world map iirc, so it doesn't look the best it could. I also recorded the next video without it, but I am totally willing to redo that world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMK5xlRX1Y8

EDIT: wanna clarify that this is the second video, the first one has even less gameplay, and is twice as long, so I figured this would be the easiest one to use as a test. I'm gonna make a test post soon.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 28, 2012

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna start out with the obvious "Talking over cutscenes/dialouge."

Do you explain the system better in the first video? Like this odd Active Time Bar for attacks, and why you gotta scroll them around?

Video looks fine, audio is fine.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Volume posted:

Gonna start out with the obvious "Talking over cutscenes/dialouge."

Do you explain the system better in the first video? Like this odd Active Time Bar for attacks, and why you gotta scroll them around?

Video looks fine, audio is fine.

Yeah the first video has a battle tutorial, during which I explain the mechanics. I was thinking about doing a version with the commentary muted during the cutscenes, but there's just so goddamn many of them that I feel like the videos would be 90% silence.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
To be quiet honest, I didn't mind the commentary over the cut scenes that much. I actually laughed at most of the jokes in there.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah the first video has a battle tutorial, during which I explain the mechanics. I was thinking about doing a version with the commentary muted during the cutscenes, but there's just so goddamn many of them that I feel like the videos would be 90% silence.

IIRC Chip and Ironicus had entire videos of MGS4 that were cutscene, but still did the dual audio thing.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone know if any mirrors of taxidermistpasta's bubble bobble LP exist? Google Video seems to have killed it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Volume posted:

To be quiet honest, I didn't mind the commentary over the cut scenes that much. I actually laughed at most of the jokes in there.

I like the commentary, but all the same, Blackbelt Bobman tells us all these cool people voice the characters and then doesn't let us listen to them. :(

I realize, though, that these games have a shitload of cutscenes. Perhaps some compromise can be reached?

• Locked thread