Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Gindack posted:

Played in my LGS Summer Rampage event today, was running a Trollblood list, was lots of fun.

50pts.

Jarl +6
Mountain King 20pts
Bomber 10pts
Mulg 12pts
Horthol 5pts
Longriders 7pts
Trollses 2pts

Got there late so only got two games in, one against the other TB and lost to the Circle guy that was running Warpwolf spam.

How did the Mountain King work in actual play? It's Mat and Rat of 5 scare the hell out of me and make me very hesitant to ever consider getting it in my slow grow Troll army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Mage Hunters with UA are total bullshit.
That is all.

(Actually, what's a good tool for cryx to not get shot to gently caress before we can even touch them?)

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Anything with stealth. Congrats, now you can beat retribution!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Oh, hey. We have a ton of stealth.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Stealth really fucks over the angry elves, my friend got real sad when I popped Shadowpack with eLylyth.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I won't soon forget the day my roommate popped Ron's feat from 10 inches away from all my banes :v:

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

How did the Mountain King work in actual play? It's Mat and Rat of 5 scare the hell out of me and make me very hesitant to ever consider getting it in my slow grow Troll army.

Honestly, he was a great distraction for Mulg, they were worried about him so much they didn't worry about the biggest threat.

First game I played against another TB player who fielded the Wagon, 2nd turn I charged it and killed it in like 3 hits. Then on their next turn they charged MK with Mulg and took him down to 5 boxes but he spat out 5 whelps and healed 8. I usually run MK hot because Mulg is there to do the heavy lifting in that list. Hopefully the Longriders will be on the flank and able to Slam something into their Warcaster.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Manifest posted:

That is all.

(Actually, what's a good tool for cryx to not get shot to gently caress before we can even touch them?)

pDenny, eGoreshade etc

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Gindack posted:

Got there late so only got two games in, one against the other TB and lost to the Circle guy that was running Warpwolf spam.

Incidentally, unless there were three or more Stalkers or like 20+ Fury of whatrver, that's just a Circle list. Unless it's a bunch of Wold heavies, I almost never see or play fewer than three warpwolves.

Edit: I may be exaggerating. Now that I think about it, I often take Brine and/or a Geomancer instead. But with Kaya or Kromac, you'll never catch me without at least three Warpwolves.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 26, 2012

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Manifest posted:

That is all.

I decided to write up a list of ways cryx delivers their infantry, and the silver bullets that stop it. This might help people who are new to the faction or have trouble with fighting Cryx:

Stealth: bane thralls, occultation. Counter: gunmages/Siege, high pow AOEs, sprays, fire AOEs, corrosion, chain lightning/electroleap (shoot your own models in the back to proc the leaps), legion warbeasts

Coven Feat: no real counter other than walking out of feat range then shooting in.

Incorporeal: blood witches, blackbanes, denny2, wraith engines. Counter: spells, magic attacks, aiyana and holt, etc. Circle and Ret.

Death Ward: +2 arm spell that puts a lot of our higher ARM infantry out of the "die to pow 10 or blast damage" armor range. Skarre2, Scaverous. Counter: fire, higher pow shooting.

Recurring Mechanics: Goreshade2, Tartarus, Necrosurgeons/mechtralls. Counter: kill the solos that create more dudes. Necrosurgeons can be picked out by spells or aoe drifts. They hate fire, electroleap as well. Tartarus is harder to pick out, but high pow stealth-denying shooting works, and he doesnt love fire either. Stay out of his and his banes threat until you can pluck him out. Keep your living infantry away from them vs Shade2 or you will be sorry. Kill entire units of mechtralls if you cant get the necrosurgeons. If the entire unit is dead, no new mechtralls.

Skarre1 feat: +5 arm, which makes most infantry very hard to kill with traditional infantry-sweeping tools. No real counter since its a feat, other than backing up and making the cryx player waste the feat turn (if scenario allows it). Feel better that the offensive power of the feat got wasted at least.

Denny1 feat: Nerfs the poo poo out of the offensive stats of the opposing army, which allows a fairy easy next turn to position for the cryx player. Counter it by spreading out laterally and vertically, not giving the denny player your entire army in the feat.

Denny2 feat: Stops the other player from moving, which saves you from melee forces. Guns however, are a huge problem for denny2, because her feat effectively just makes the enemy have to aim.

Skarre2 feat: usually protects important jacks or solos. Kill everything else, slam things into the feated models, or spray at other eligable targets and hit the feated models that way.

Wraith Engine clouds: counter is eyeless sight, if you have access to it. Or dont let the wraith engine collect souls to make clouds.

Terminus: giant swarm of tough mooks. Tough removal, massive AOEs, anything that can go fishing for terminus and yank him away from the army, removing tough from the army (its his command range). You need a lot of guns to deal with this type of list.

General Anti-Cryx Tech: Bring fire, electroleap, pow 10 guns, stuff that cant be charged, board control/terrain creation, hellmouth, AOE 4 and 5s of any type, any of the "d6 extra hits" spells, feats that cause damage for moving or slow models down, anything that can create rock walls.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
^^^This is a really good writeup

Sulecrist posted:

Incidentally, unless there were three or more Stalkers or like 20+ Fury of whatrver, that's just a Circle list. Unless it's a bunch of Wold heavies, I almost never see or play fewer than three warpwolves.

Edit: I may be exaggerating. Now that I think about it, I often take Brine and/or a Geomancer instead. But with Kaya or Kromac, you'll never catch me without at least three Warpwolves.

I ran eKrueger with two heavies at 50pts yesterday. Stalker Warden turned out ok, but Feral Warden is probably better for that additional STR. Reach isn't terribly important because of TK and gallows and forcebolt and berserk can be handled by the warden geomancing a lightning storm.

My new pet list is a gunline. I have a few casters in mind, but I think Kromac is gonna be my dude. I'm gonna crack it out next week.

!amicable fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 26, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Do you know any awesomely converted Warmachine armies, like scratchbuilt finely detailed warjacks, stuff like that (post links/pics)? The game seems interesting, but I'm turned off by the way stock warjacks look and I'm wondering how much can be done with that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The newer plastic kits are pretty pose-able and you can do some really cool things to them with some basing work, but the old metal sculpts are pretty lame I have to admit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I hate the aesthetics, not the kits. I have yet to see a Colossus(sp?) I'd like the look of.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

Terminus: giant swarm of tough mooks. Tough removal, massive AOEs, anything that can go fishing for terminus and yank him away from the army, removing tough from the army (its his command range). You need a lot of guns to deal with this type of list.

Since Terminus was the only Cryx caster I played, his big weakness is he's a huge motherfucker and can't get the assassination off if he can't land where he needs to go.

Mowing down Mechanithralls is what Terminus wants to happen, because they are literally there to take hits and die for him or tie things up so they can't get to Big T. If the necrosurgeons are still alive, you're getting back up to 6 of those touch shits each round. More than a few games I ended with more mechanithralls than when I started because surgeons take corpse tokens from all living models destroyed in their 5 inch radius.

Magic and slowing Terminus down is what you want to do. He has to stay in a cloud of thralls because he'll die to any meaty attacks assuming average rolls. A good pull of his feat turn is hard to counter unless you can knock off his focus, so just staying the gently caress away from him after feat turn is the only way to live through a train of death with 16 focus to blow on either killing your caster or destroying the heavies of your list and making you lose next turn anyways.

Best advice is kill the loving necrosurgeons, then concentrate on clearing a path to Big T and hoping those thralls don't make their tough rolls.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Pierzak posted:

I hate the aesthetics, not the kits. I have yet to see a Colossus(sp?) I'd like the look of.

Have you tried looking at Hordes instead of Warmachine? I ask because I had the exact same issue when I got into the game years back (this was before Retribution came out; I'm one of the freaks that actually likes the aesthetics of myrmidons). Over time, the other factions' warjacks have grown on me, but I still feel that the warbeasts have more impressive scuplts.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Denny1 feat: Nerfs the poo poo out of the offensive stats of the opposing army, which allows a fairy easy next turn to position for the cryx player. Counter it by spreading out laterally and vertically, not giving the denny player your entire army in the feat.
I hate this feat, it's like my army instantly becomes retarded, oh my god.

e: Dudes, Legion of Everblight? I was told that I could skimp infantry in some lists with how they play, I was tempted to try out Saeryn with this:

System: Hordes
Faction: Legion of Everblight
Casters: 1/1
Saeryn, Omen of Everblight (*5pts)
* Raek (4pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
3 Spell Martyrs (3pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)

I own Striders and Raptors at the moment, and the Striders did really well today with eLyly but I'm curious on trying Saeryn with beast spam, her feat looks absolutely rude when this list gets into combat and the Shredder/Raek are good Blight Bringer targets.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 26, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Paper Kaiju posted:

Have you tried looking at Hordes instead of Warmachine? I ask because I had the exact same issue when I got into the game years back (this was before Retribution came out; I'm one of the freaks that actually likes the aesthetics of myrmidons). Over time, the other factions' warjacks have grown on me, but I still feel that the warbeasts have more impressive scuplts.
Yes and Hordes does have much better beasts, but I'm still hoping for a squad of giant steam-powered magic mechs :)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

!amicable posted:

^^^This is a really good writeup

I ran eKrueger with two heavies at 50pts yesterday. Stalker Warden turned out ok, but Feral Warden is probably better for that additional STR. Reach isn't terribly important because of TK and gallows and forcebolt and berserk can be handled by the warden geomancing a lightning storm.

My new pet list is a gunline. I have a few casters in mind, but I think Kromac is gonna be my dude. I'm gonna crack it out next week.

Boy that is just not enough killing power for me. I've been taking either two Stalkers + Gorax or Stalker + Ghetorix + Gorax in all of my eKruegers 35 and up. I find I always have plenty of Fury with him if it's not his personal hail-Mary with lightning so I never take a Geomancer anymore with him.

That 1.5" (or Pathfinder) never matters until it does.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 26, 2012

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sulecrist posted:

Boy that is just not enough killing power for me. I've been taking either two Stalkers + Gorax or Stalker + Ghetorix + Gorax in all of my eKruegers 35 and up. I find I always have plenty of Fury with him if it's not his personal hail-Mary with lightning so I never take a Geomancer anymore with him.

I think the lack of pathfinder is the biggest problem with the feral.

That any circle warbeasts lacks pathfinder is stupid imo, but was probably done to try to encourage taking an Argus for its animus.

FuncType
Mar 29, 2007

Tactical Wiener Lover
Played my first 35pt eFeora game last night against a Mercs player running Damiano and had a blast. I got tabled pretty hard but ended up winning by using Flame Step to get into cover and dodge a shot from his Nyss and one from Damiano, then flamestepped back out for a charge that set him on fire. 12 boxes on the attack and the fire won it next round. Overall it was REALLY intense, but I think I did well enough.

The list I ran:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Feora, Protector of the Flame (*6pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer (2pts)
Temple Flameguard (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
* Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard (2pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)
The Covenant of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

If anyone has some input that would be swell. One thing I immediately thought of was dropping the Reckoner in favor of a Vanquisher, but that is still sitting on the painting table.

FuncType fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 27, 2012

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Drop Errants IMO, way too much infantry for Feora as she can't support them really and they don't do a huge amount for her, drop them for a Vanquisher and you've got so many templates and sprays it's hilarious. Keep the Reckoner, it helps the Redeemer and consider dropping something for a second Vassal, at 35pts I tend to run:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Feora, Protector of the Flame (*6pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Temple Flameguard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard (2pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

Gorman keeps her protected as she's usually up the field, Vassal give lots more shots, TFG are a roadblock, before the enemy gets to charge I mini-feat them, they set each other on fire, Feora feats and throws the fire onto the enemy troops and then it's an attrition fest which Feora tends to win (because she owns).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think the lack of pathfinder is the biggest problem with the feral.

That any circle warbeasts lacks pathfinder is stupid imo, but was probably done to try to encourage taking an Argus for its animus.

Definitely. Incidentally, Pureblood for Ghostly pulls a lot more weight than an Argus, I think Wraithbane may actually be better than Primal in the current/near future competitive environment.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

Do you know any awesomely converted Warmachine armies, like scratchbuilt finely detailed warjacks, stuff like that (post links/pics)? The game seems interesting, but I'm turned off by the way stock warjacks look and I'm wondering how much can be done with that.

Most WM/H players can't be bothered to prime, let alone paint, their stuff. So not a lot of cool conversions, alternate models from 3rd parties, etc. and to be fair with most of the range still in metal, that's difficult to do.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

I took Feral Stalker Gorax Warden today. I can't decide if I like the Warden or not. Lightning Storm is incredibly lovely, but it's even worse to have Krueger waste time casting it. The warden can also TK himself, which is sort of funny. Obviously gallows is what you want to be doing.

Overall eKrueger is just not clicking for me. He is a bag of tricks, but he lack the solid defensive tech or solid offensive tech that I like. He gets the same stuff done, but it's not in a way that I am really prepared to exploit. Sure, you can fish heavies, deny charges and deal with AOEs, but all of that takes really tight managment of druid placement, fury economy and useage of stones. He is super hard to play tightly.

That being said, the Feral are amazing with him. I like that option more than double stalker these days. I don't mind the lack of pathfinder because there is plenty of board to cover without it. I used to be more upset about it, but now I am tired of huddling in forests. The feral is good in an eKruger army, you just get to bring stuff to him and he can walk up and murder it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fyrbrand posted:

Most WM/H players can't be bothered to prime, let alone paint, their stuff. So not a lot of cool conversions, alternate models from 3rd parties, etc. and to be fair with most of the range still in metal, that's difficult to do.

That isn't entirely true. Check out the pictures from the French masters at Lyons. Awesome paint jobs and cool conversions. It seems to be mainly American players who are too lazy to paint :p. The problem is that the steamroller rules are very conversion unfriendly, where all models must consist mostly of the original model and absolutely no weapon swapping. The French TOs are a lot more lenient.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

I think this depends on your local meta. We went for Warmahordes night at our FLGS this week and almost every army there was painted.
Also the majority were Khador, but I guess that's a different thing.

Also, Mulg the Ancient is one of the neatest models I've ever built.

Manifest fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 27, 2012

Tommmmm
Jan 1, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

I hate this feat, it's like my army instantly becomes retarded, oh my god.

e: Dudes, Legion of Everblight? I was told that I could skimp infantry in some lists with how they play, I was tempted to try out Saeryn

Pretty solid/standard list. I wouldn't take that many martyrs though. Swamp gobbers would give her even more protection. Alternatively swap the Forsaken for Deathstalkers and 2 Martyrs for Shepherds for more Infantry chewing - when you feel confident about keeping your support alive.

Tommmmm fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 27, 2012

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Khisanth Magus posted:

The problem is that the steamroller rules are very conversion unfriendly, where all models must consist mostly of the original model and absolutely no weapon swapping. The French TOs are a lot more lenient.

Oh.

Let me... be right back. I need to, uh, make a call.

Manifest posted:

Also the majority where Khador, but I guess that's a different thing.

Almost everybody at my lgs is cryx or khador. I'm the only trollblood, there's no sign of Menoth, and to-date I've still never seen a Skorne or Cygnar army played.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 27, 2012

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Oh.

Let me... be right back. I need to, uh, make a call.

Almost everybody at my lgs is cryx or khador. I'm the only trollblood, there's no sign of Menoth, and to-date I've still never seen a Skorne or Cygnar army played.

We've got a fair amount of Cygnar, Skorne, Circle, and Cryx too. But Khador rules the school at our shop. I don't know why, but the other night almost every table was red on red.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tommmmm posted:

Pretty solid/standard list. I wouldn't take that many martyrs though. Swamp gobbers would give her even more protection. Alternatively swap the Forsaken for Deathstalkers and 2 Martyrs for Shepherds for more Infantry chewing - when you feel confident about keeping your support alive.
Will give that a try mate, I'm waiting on my Shepherds in the post so I'm stuck with Forsaken for now but I do own a Deathstalker and they are pretty good. Is there a general consensus on how many Spell Martyrs to take? I mean Saeryn has 2/3 offensive spells to my memory so anything that keeps her back and alive I thought would've been a good thing.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Khisanth Magus posted:

That isn't entirely true. Check out the pictures from the French masters at Lyons. Awesome paint jobs and cool conversions. It seems to be mainly American players who are too lazy to paint :p. The problem is that the steamroller rules are very conversion unfriendly, where all models must consist mostly of the original model and absolutely no weapon swapping. The French TOs are a lot more lenient.

Yeah I'm being American centric here I guess. The French rule at mini hobbies. But take a look at pics from major events here in the US and at times its a sea of bare metal with exceptions for guys like Watt. That the major "competitive" podcasts, for lack of a better word, have at times expressed disdain for the hobby side of things demonstrates the problem as well. Helps to keep it that way too.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

You should see how Neutralyze treats his minis. :v: It does seem to be pretty common amongst the high level players, you don't tend to see a lot of overlap between skilled painters and amazing players.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Fyrbrand posted:

Yeah I'm being American centric here I guess. The French rule at mini hobbies. But take a look at pics from major events here in the US and at times its a sea of bare metal with exceptions for guys like Watt. That the major "competitive" podcasts, for lack of a better word, have at times expressed disdain for the hobby side of things demonstrates the problem as well. Helps to keep it that way too.

Why would anyone express a disdain for the hobby side of things? Is not being a powergaming douche bag that actually enjoys minis uncool or something? Are we putting nerds into degrees of nerd?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Why would anyone express a disdain for the hobby side of things? Is not being a powergaming douche bag that actually enjoys minis uncool or something? Are we putting nerds into degrees of nerd?

It's actually an interesting contrast from 40k. The 40k community is known for showing disdain for people who don't convert and paint.

Although I can't say I've ever personally witnessed anyone saying bad things about painting. My meta is very encouraging towards people like me who have never painted before and are struggling to start out, and are very open about expressing how impressed we are with our resident artist's paint jobs. Even if I do want to strangle her at times with how modest she is, as she is never satisfied with paint jobs that put the entire rest of my meta to shame, saying they suck, and then strips all her models, and starts over. On the other hand, I will probably be able to get her to paint my Archangel, so there is that.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 27, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think by disdain they might just mean "I hate gluing this one stupid single tiny arm on to my solo" and stuff like that. Not a disdain towards the people who enjoy it and put pride in to their work.

I personally cannot stand scrubbing the release agent off, removing mold lines, pin / magnetize and then glue my model, straightening staves, and painting. So I totally get what they're saying :v:

e; Yea, I picked up Mercs for my second army and bought some halberdiers too... Possibly the must frustrating thing I had to assemble, with my Bane Thralls being a close second.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 27, 2012

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
I helped a buddy put some Steelhead Halberdiers together last night and I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with a piece of metal before in my life.

Also what do you guys do to weigh down your bases? 40k I put pennies in the bottom but PP bases can't really do that with. My poor Flameguard Standard Bearer falls over if anyone looks at him.

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Gindack posted:

I helped a buddy put some Steelhead Halberdiers together last night and I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with a piece of metal before in my life.

Also what do you guys do to weigh down your bases? 40k I put pennies in the bottom but PP bases can't really do that with. My poor Flameguard Standard Bearer falls over if anyone looks at him.

I just buy metal bases, PP sells some, and so do other vendors.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
There really isnt a disdain for painting on any of the podcasts from what Ive heard, mostly just "I suck at painting so I dont bother, but cool models are cool".

I think the dudes from chain attack said they dont paint, but they also send their stuff out to be painted by commission, so I guess make your own conclusions from that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gindack posted:

I glued small magnet I had lying around to the bottom of my Flameguard Standards base, it does the job.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 27, 2012

• Locked thread