Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

meatpimp, the only one shitposting here is you. That noble isnt a civic, or a corolla, I have no idea why you're even crying about the dudes car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

GazChap posted:

My pride and joy, probably posted in this thread before:

My "new" run-around. Makes the GT-Four feel like a Nissan Micra by comparison:

Lovely! Do you get grief because of the numbers on the Celica?

Not to reignite the Noble wing thing or anything, but go back 30 years and people would have the same conversation about the Countach. Also, lets not pretend Lee Noble spent billions on CFD and months in the wind tunnel with that car, it would be a different story if we were talking about removing a stock aero device from a 458 or 12C. It was designed in a shed in Leeds, not the full scale wind tunnel of Maranello.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 24, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Oh look. It must be Thursday. It's either a Motronic, or a Meatpimp derail.

My $1500 1996 OG900 SE 2.0t w/ 123k before I fixed the windows, and half of the doors, at Lake Davis, California on Saturday.

Got 3 of the 4 doors working from both the inside, and the outside. 3 of the windows work, and so does the radio, now. :smug:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bob NewSCART posted:

meatpimp, the only one shitposting here is you. That noble isnt a civic, or a corolla, I have no idea why you're even crying about the dudes car.
He isn't crying, all he is saying (I think) is "Thats a cool car but imo it would look better without that taller spoiler", thats all. No big deal.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Flynn posted:

Are you suggesting I remove the wing depending on where I'm driving it?

If it will make meatpimp stop posting, maybe it's worth it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

kylej posted:

If it will make meatpimp stop posting, maybe it's worth it.

That may be a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

My wife hates it too but I've heard handling can get a bit...wild...without it. I will eventually be lightly tracking it and I do some spirited mountain driving so anything to keep me from careening off a cliff is fine in my book.

a big fwiggen terd posted:

Comrade I notice your one doesnt have that little carbon front lip, I never did ask him if that was standard or not.

Oh, yeah, they do come with a lip but as I understand it if you make it a month without ripping it off you are blessed by the gods. The shop actually took it off before I picked it up. I should ask about it.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Plasti-dip is great for hiding nasty baked paint.

The car is running well after fixing a cracked intake boot, replacing all rubber engine bay hoses, replacing two missing turbo bolts, and sending the fuel injectors out to be cleaned. 2/4 were dripping and all four tested excellent afterwards.

Next sweet mod is installing an 80's Saab 900 intercooler. The important part is selecting the right Turbo decals to apply when the engine upgrade is complete!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Took the r36 for a run to the hills this weekend gone.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

drgitlin posted:

Lovely! Do you get grief because of the numbers on the Celica?
Nah. There's no law against it, despite what people think (for some reason.)

If I had an MSA licence I might get a bit of jip from them, but I couldn't care less ;)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Caught a stowaway

A decade old now but still running great

I just hope nothing goes wrong with the fuel system (early direct injection, bleh)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Lilbeefer posted:

Took the r36 for a run to the hills this weekend gone.

Man if we got the R36 here in the States I would own one immediately. That thing owns.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wamsutta posted:

Man if we got the R36 here in the States I would own one immediately. That thing owns.

300hp wagon with AWD and DSG, sounds like a pretty sweet deal. 9.2l/100km is only marginally worse than my car, while having almost twice the horsepower.

E: Lilbeefer, what's your real-life fuel consumption?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 24, 2012

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

dissss posted:

A decade old now but still running great

I just hope nothing goes wrong with the fuel system (early direct injection, bleh)

four doors is the right amount of doors for skylines but what happened to the hotplates? Did they just put them on the GT-R after some point?

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Much worse then that. On this trip I got 10l/100. Mind you this included 4 separate aggressive tofu/ski runs up the mountain. If anyone is interested, burnt dsg clutch smells the same as burnt normal clutch.

During the week I live centrally and ride to work. When I use the car it sits in the HIGH teens.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

GazChap posted:

My pride and joy, probably posted in this thread before:

Holy sweet flying gently caress that is awesome.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Getting there...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I will back up meatpimp in saying that the stock wing "looks" like ricer wings, but that is because ricers are trying to make civics look like really really fast cars. Being a really really fast car is why the Noble has that wing, so it's the ricer's fault, not the Noble. That being said, now that I see a photo without the wing, that looks pretty slick. I certainly wouldn't remove it because it's stock, but if they made that car without it I wouldn't complain. I just don't get why they have that huge lip AND the spoiler. Seems like they could do something more interesting with the rear if they have the spoiler, unless it really requires both for traction.

But anyway, I really like your Monte Carlo Admiral.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Plasti-dip is great for hiding nasty baked paint.

Holy poo poo that's plasti-dip? It looks great from this distance, how is it up close? Did you use rattle cans or paint sprayer?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tobu posted:

four doors is the right amount of doors for skylines but what happened to the hotplates? Did they just put them on the GT-R after some point?

That Skyline is really a rebadged G35 (and thus a platform-mate with the 350Z), rather than a continuation of the R32/33/34. The GT-R went away after the R34, and only returned recently as its own model separate from the G37-based Skyline.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My new 97 M Edition

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Getting there...

What car is that? It looks good as all hell.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Monte Carlo

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Tindjin posted:

Holy poo poo that's plasti-dip? It looks great from this distance, how is it up close? Did you use rattle cans or paint sprayer?

Rattle cans because they were on hand, but I would use a paint sprayer next time for better volume and consistency. Plasti-dip is somewhat difficult to remove, even if sprayed thick enough, so I wouldn't paint anything that isn't likely headed to a junkyard or at least a paint booth afterwards.

Some mistakes with plasti-dip are not spending enough time taping, not going over taped edges with a roller knife for removal, spraying too close to the surface. See the right spoiler area :(

The bumpers were plastidipped about two years ago, they look like new with a wipe of 303 protectant at every wash. These pictures show a week of pollen & grime (which rinses off easily:)

This ~svx inspired~ 2-tone paint job wouldn't look bad with Mercedes black on top and Mitsu Fuji Blue for the rest.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

organburner posted:

What car is that? It looks good as all hell.

1988 Monte Carlo SS

The grille still needs to be painted black, and they have to reattach the lower fascia and rear lights and bumper. Should be complete in the next few days.

Does anyone have advice in buying a really good car cover? Before the repaint I had a cheapo $60 one that already has holes in it. I'd like to get something that's going to keep that fresh paint gleaming, even if it is pricy. Recommendations?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That Skyline is really a rebadged G35 (and thus a platform-mate with the 350Z), rather than a continuation of the R32/33/34. The GT-R went away after the R34, and only returned recently as its own model separate from the G37-based Skyline.

Yeah its a new platform.

I like to think of the G35 as a rebadged Skyline though, after all the V35 Skyline did come first (2001)

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

opengl128 posted:

My new 97 M Edition

I notice that someone switched out your shift knob, that's not the M edition knob.

Can I ask what you paid for it?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kastein posted:

Is there just an electric hydro pump and no vacuum boost on those vehicles? If so, that sounds remarkably similar to the terrible Bendix ABS setup used on Jeep XJs from the early 80s through '91, at which point they switched to a sane setup that actually has fully mechanical brakes plus ABS and won't turn into a 3300lb, 50mph game of russian roulette if the hydro pump fails.

The 80s and very early 90s: a bad time to be an ABS-equipped passenger vehicle, apparently.

The power steering and brakes are completely hydraulic with no vacuum boost. The bomb stores up enough pressure for ~30 applications of the brakes or a couple of lock to lock turns of the steering with the engine off. Back in the day, the hydraulic fluid (green gold) ran about $30/qt. The seals in the bomb and the steering rack are notorious for leaking. I believe the door locks are also hydraulic.

Mine didn't come with the UFO brakes (I think yours does) -- the calipers are internal and the rotors are not attached to the hub when the tire is off. On mine, the rotor also rotated free of the hub. With either design it makes changing a tire fun. They give you a handy gizmo to keep the wheel and rotor holes aligned but in general it's a pain in the rear end.

http://ranwhenparked.net/2009/11/17/what-lies-beneath-audi-ufo-brakes/

Be prepared to have at least one door handle and one door lock to break. They're attached to the door internals with pot-metal which wears out over time. They do make steel replacements though.

I'm totally not dumping on your car...I've always liked them, but I found them to be quirky as hell, a blast to drive and requiring a lot of maintenance.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 25, 2012

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I notice that someone switched out your shift knob, that's not the M edition knob.

Can I ask what you paid for it?

Yeah that's the one part of the interior that's not original.

Paid $3500, which I consider a great deal since that's what clapped out early NA's go for in this area, while nicer ones usually sell for at least $5k.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Gave the car (2012 Mustang) a quick wash and wax last weekend.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

AdmiralViscen posted:

I'd like to get something that's going to keep that fresh paint gleaming, even if it is pricy. Recommendations?

A garage? Seriously, no substitute, and, to contribute content, here's why I built my garage, also here's to you, my fellow late 80s cool as gently caress American car owner:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grimster posted:

A garage? Seriously, no substitute, and, to contribute content, here's why I built my garage, also here's to you, my fellow late 80s cool as gently caress American car owner:

I'm hoping to be in the market for a Grand National some time this fall or winter, would you mind if I picked your brain about yours some time?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I'd love to garage it, but my condo only lets us park two cars there so I have to keep the Monte around the corner at my aunts-in-laws and they don't have a garage.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Rhyno posted:

I'm hoping to be in the market for a Grand National some time this fall or winter, would you mind if I picked your brain about yours some time?

Anytime, I unabashedly love talking about the car.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Grimster posted:

Goddamn, I think I just found my new 80's dream car.

Tried to see if there were any for sale in my country, but nope, just the generation before that which looks nowhere near as good.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Cross post from the fiat thread, since most won't go in there. I just picked it up today, spring will be put on as soon as it gets back home.

right before the wrap 2nd day I owned it

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 26, 2012

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Haha so it matches the Subaru now?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Lowclock posted:

Haha so it matches the Subaru now?

yep, I had a lot of vinyl left over so I figured why not. I will put on 25k+ miles on it per year driving in the desert, so it will protect the paint too.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Nice. Who did your tint? I'm looking for a good place but there's like a billion tint shops out here. kbkb187@yahoo.com if you want.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Goober Peas posted:

The power steering and brakes are completely hydraulic with no vacuum boost. The bomb stores up enough pressure for ~30 applications of the brakes or a couple of lock to lock turns of the steering with the engine off. Back in the day, the hydraulic fluid (green gold) ran about $30/qt. The seals in the bomb and the steering rack are notorious for leaking. I believe the door locks are also hydraulic.

Mine didn't come with the UFO brakes (I think yours does) -- the calipers are internal and the rotors are not attached to the hub when the tire is off. On mine, the rotor also rotated free of the hub. With either design it makes changing a tire fun. They give you a handy gizmo to keep the wheel and rotor holes aligned but in general it's a pain in the rear end.

http://ranwhenparked.net/2009/11/17/what-lies-beneath-audi-ufo-brakes/

Be prepared to have at least one door handle and one door lock to break. They're attached to the door internals with pot-metal which wears out over time. They do make steel replacements though.

I'm totally not dumping on your car...I've always liked them, but I found them to be quirky as hell, a blast to drive and requiring a lot of maintenance.

I don't have any Audis - I think you might be replying to the guy I was replying to. Either way, that sounds like some truly stunning 80s brake system engineering, as I expected :aaa:

Steering and brake hydraulics are on the same pump? Who thought THAT was a good idea? I might be retarded, but I'd rather have separate systems, so a brake failure won't also take out my steering or vice versa. If I can't stop at least I want to be able to dodge...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
My girlfriend's uncle's GN. I've been wanting one ever since I've seen his.