Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Undrhil posted:

When I make a Revenent and choose Mul as my Past Life and then take the Past Soul feat, I do not gain the Mul's racial encounter power.

Correction: Past Soul doesn't appear to be giving any of the racial powers associated with any of the races available.
You need to take the "Past Soul (race)" feat, which appears in a separate tab rather than under "Racial Feats". (It occurs to me that I haven't adapted any of the races that were released after a certain point, so I'm pretty sure the HotFeywild races, for instance, aren't currently covered by this.)

I'm not sure why the "vanilla" Past Soul feat still exists at all. There may well be reasons for it, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnemyOfFun
Aug 14, 2012
Content Removed.

EnemyOfFun fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 30, 2012

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

MMAgCh posted:

(It occurs to me that I haven't adapted any of the races that were released after a certain point [to the new Past Soul feat format], so I'm pretty sure the HotFeywild races, for instance, aren't currently covered by this.)
I went and did a thing. The Past Soul series of feats should now cover every race in the LCB.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

You need to take the "Past Soul (race)" feat, which appears in a separate tab rather than under "Racial Feats". (It occurs to me that I haven't adapted any of the races that were released after a certain point, so I'm pretty sure the HotFeywild races, for instance, aren't currently covered by this.)

I'm not sure why the "vanilla" Past Soul feat still exists at all. There may well be reasons for it, though!

What's really sad is I think I knew this from the last big update you guys did, someone had mentioned about Past Soul being different from the individual Half-Elf Soul, Human Soul, etc. feat.

But I really think the Past Soul feat was meant to replace those (much like Versatile Expertise replaced the Expertise feat that was in the Monk playtest article in Dragon so long ago.....)

I'm not complaining. Being able to get Knack for Success and Dilettante on one character at the same time is awesome. :)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Undrhil posted:

But I really think the Past Soul feat was meant to replace those (much like Versatile Expertise replaced the Expertise feat that was in the Monk playtest article in Dragon so long ago.....)
Definitely, and that's how I'd rule as a DM as well. I'm not sure WotC ever explicitly stated as much, unfortunately.

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011

Undrhil posted:

Functionally, I'm sure it was meant to replace them, much like Heavy Blade Expertise replaced Weapon Expertise: Heavy Blade. Sure, they still exist and are completely legal choices, but there really isn't much point to them.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

scpredmage posted:

Functionally, I'm sure it was meant to replace them, much like Heavy Blade Expertise replaced Weapon Expertise: Heavy Blade. Sure, they still exist and are completely legal choices, but there really isn't much point to them.

I was more comparing it to how Versatile Expertise replaced the Focused Expertise feat which was released in the Monk playtest article. It was kind of a silent redaction, too. Because they didn't officially come out and say "OK, this is replacing that other feat." in the book. Rather, they waited until people were asking about it on the boards and stuff. When the new feat showed up in the builder and the old feat was removed, many people thought it was another bug. But WotC said it wasn't a bug and this feat replaced the one that was in the playtest article.

The only reason that we can't say that's the case here is because in the online builder, the Human soul and Half-elf soul feats are still available.

Attention Deficit
Nov 25, 2006
fine til you came along..
Another quick one.. Does anyone know of a mod that will grant an extra free feat? DM is looking to give the players a free Expertise Feat at level 5, but can't see how to do so in Character Builder.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Attention Deficit posted:

Another quick one.. Does anyone know of a mod that will grant an extra free feat? DM is looking to give the players a free Expertise Feat at level 5, but can't see how to do so in Character Builder.
No modding needed: you want the little house-shaped icon just below and to the right of the "feat choice checklist" header.

Attention Deficit
Nov 25, 2006
fine til you came along..

MMAgCh posted:

No modding needed: you want the little house-shaped icon just below and to the right of the "feat choice checklist" header.
Holy balls. Awesome stuff, thanks! :)

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Attention Deficit posted:

What I will often do when starting a new campaign is create either a background or a theme that gives out any extra benefits out that I want my players to have for their new characters. I usually did this through backgrounds since it is easy to create a new background that mods and uses the code from the "Customized Background" part file. But recently in a new campaign I decided to ban themes for that campaign since the current selection of themes didn't seem appropriate and went ahead and created a new campaign theme with the freebees. This works well since theme doesn't automatically show up on the character sheets. Obviously, if you are using themes then background mods are a better approach.

You can also add mods like this via Magic Items boons or similar.

In the default UI you can add extra languages, skills, powers, and feats without mods.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm trying to get CBloader to work and just can't seem to figure it out. I found this which seems to describe my problem and some possible solutions, but the ones I understood well enough to try don't work. I've got the character builder installed, updated to nov 2009, working fine. I have a fresh download of CBloader from the website so there should be no problem with the .part file (it's just the sample).

What can I do to make this work? It is possible I'm not following the solutions in the link very well because they are not written in a way that is easy to follow if you don't know anything about coding.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You're supposed to be using the October 2010 update, as I recall.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

isndl posted:

You're supposed to be using the October 2010 update, as I recall.

God, that's what I meant, sorry. The last one before they went to online.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

I'm trying to get CBloader to work and just can't seem to figure it out.

Unfortunately there are a lot of issues which could be giving you the grief. This is further complicated in diagnosing because there are several versions of Windows folks are using out there.

Some Tips
    First, I would delete everything you have done up to this point.
    Empty your temporary files and delete the &AppData%\CBLoader directory.
    If you are using an older Windows computer make sure you have Microsoft .NET v3.5 installed.
    Second, do a search on your computer and delete all these files everywhere:
      cbloader.merged
      combined.dnd40
      combined.dnd40.main
      combined.dnd40.part
      All part files everywhere
      All index files everywhere

Reinstall the Character Builder and do not put it into the default location in C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files.
    Where ever you put it make sure you write down the location. As strange as it may seem the current content developer of CBLoader suggests you install the builder in your "My Documents" area. This is the safest area to avoid problems with Windows authority over your files.
    Next, make sure your legacy character builder is up to date with all October 2010 patches. Then run your legacy builder and make sure it works. Check the dwarf race and make sure you have selectable secondary ability assignments to confirm you are up to date. If your builder doesn't start up it is a problem with your backups or the way you patched it.
    Grab the current CBLoader Zip file.
    Make a new separate directory and unzip CBLoader into it. It is recommended to do this right on your Desktop area. Keep it out of C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files.
    Copy the file ApplicationUpdate.Client.dll from your builder directory to your new CBLoader directory.
    Edit your cbloader.cbconfig file in your CBloader directory.
    Something along the lines of:
    code:
    <Settings xmlns="http://code.google.com/p/cbloader/cbconfig.xsd">
      <VerboseMode> true </VerboseMode>
      <FastMode> false </FastMode>
      <UpdateFirst> true </UpdateFirst>
      <CBPath>Path to your legacy character builder</CBPath>
      <BasePath>%AppData%\CBLoader\</BasePath>
      <Ignore>
        <Part>sample.part</Part>
      </Ignore>
    </Settings>

Lastly put the index files and any extra part files you want to use in \Documents\ddi\CBLoader.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
Hey. Is there a detailed changelog for updates which are auto-published?

I'm curious as to what was fixed in the new batch of updates (Fight On feat, Druid of the Wastes, etc.) but the update log that opens in my browser just says "blah blah fixed."

Can we get a link on that update log to a full update list or get better descriptions of what was changed instead of just "fixed"?

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Undrhil posted:

Hey. Is there a detailed changelog for updates which are auto-published?

I'm curious as to what was fixed in the new batch of updates (Fight On feat, Druid of the Wastes, etc.) but the update log that opens in my browser just says "blah blah fixed."

Can we get a link on that update log to a full update list or get better descriptions of what was changed instead of just "fixed"?
I am hearing more complaints that the change logs are already too long. LOL. The write-up for Druid of the Wastes had rules elements for the 1st level bonuses but they had never been granted. Fight On now outputs a field to the power card because it never had previously. If you want detailed compares then backup your local files and check them versus the updated ones. You should keep backups anyway because the files could disappear at any time and never return.

That brings up a good point I wanted to talk about. The bug list is currently garbage. Despite the fact it has been previously cleaned up several folks keep adding the same bugs to the list in more than one spot. Please read through all the items if you want to add to it. Also, many of the bugs listed have been fixed by different folks over the last year and never removed from the list.

I think we need to delete the bug list and start over fresh. Also, I think it would be a good idea to put any complaints about Hybrids into a second bug list specifically for them. Between confusion on how hybrids are supposed to work and that fact that the legacy builder was designed only for hybrids 1.0 I think any actual work on hybrids would be a monumental undertaking, time consuming, and very much interconnected with the other hybrid issues. So it should be separate.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Greyhawk Fan posted:

I am hearing more complaints that the change logs are already too long. LOL. The write-up for Druid of the Wastes had rules elements for the 1st level bonuses but they had never been granted. Fight On now outputs a field to the power card because it never had previously. If you want detailed compares then backup your local files and check them versus the updated ones. You should keep backups anyway because the files could disappear at any time and never return.

That brings up a good point I wanted to talk about. The bug list is currently garbage. Despite the fact it has been previously cleaned up several folks keep adding the same bugs to the list in more than one spot. Please read through all the items if you want to add to it. Also, many of the bugs listed have been fixed by different folks over the last year and never removed from the list.

I think we need to delete the bug list and start over fresh. Also, I think it would be a good idea to put any complaints about Hybrids into a second bug list specifically for them. Between confusion on how hybrids are supposed to work and that fact that the legacy builder was designed only for hybrids 1.0 I think any actual work on hybrids would be a monumental undertaking, time consuming, and very much interconnected with the other hybrid issues. So it should be separate.

Sounds like a great plan of attack.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've created a bug tracker that you can use for everything:
http://bugs.cbloader.com

The Anonymous login should allow you to create issues, but you'll have to create an account to update them or whatever.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

I've created a bug tracker that you can use for everything:
http://bugs.cbloader.com

The Anonymous login should allow you to create issues, but you'll have to create an account to update them or whatever.

Done.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
I am working on coding the Cerulean Circlet custom reward from the LFR mod Cerulean Dreams. It's a rare item based on the Gaj Headdress item.

I have it coded, but as it is right now, I'll have to manually go in and swap the item for the paragon and epic versions when I get to 15 and 25. I want to code it as one item that automatically advances to the next tier when you get to the appropriate level (since that's what Rare items are supposed to do...)

How would I go about doing that?

Link to the .part file I am using currently for this. I have a custom source in there also, that links to https://www.livingforgottenrealms.com.

Kitsap Charles
Dec 29, 2010
The secondary power of the Warlock (Hexblade) power, Tentacles of Cryonax (called "Tentacles of Cryonax Secondary Power"), does not display in the power cards. I've fiddled with it a bit but can't get it to show itself.

I would appreciate someone with better insight into this to take a look at it.

Thank you.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Undrhil posted:

(since that's what Rare items are supposed to do...)
Is that some kind of campaign ruling for LFR?
PS: Tentacles of Cryonax is fixed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Greyhawk Fan posted:

Is that some kind of campaign ruling for LFR?

Not a general one. Some specific items do this, but only if mentioned specifically. Epic!Faervian, for instance, or Lesser Shadowbane.

Kitsap Charles
Dec 29, 2010

Greyhawk Fan posted:

PS: Tentacles of Cryonax is fixed.

Thank you. I can't believe I didn't try granting the power via a <rules> tag.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Not a general one. Some specific items do this, but only if mentioned specifically. Epic!Faervian, for instance, or Lesser Shadowbane.

Huh. I'll have to go ask on the LFR forums now. I thought any item listed as Rare would auto-level with you, if it could.

Well, I'm not sure why I thought so, but I guess I was wrong. Oh well. I still coded the Cerulean Circlet for anyone else in LFR who needs the item in their builder. :)

EDIT: The author of the mod stated that it was his intent that the Cerulean Circlet would "level up" with you. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from a LFR Global admin to see if they removed this wording from the story award on purpose or on accident. So, this might be something that I still want to know how to do..... :)

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 28, 2012

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Undrhil posted:

So, this might be something that I still want to know how to do..... :)
I bet it was removed on purpose. :) Regardless, having a game element remove itself in the builder is wonky and I recommend against it. So having the magic item automatically replace itself is not something I would do. I would just use the shop mechanic in the builder when needed. If it is just the matter of changing the power that the item gives at heroic/paragon/epic then just code up 3 power cards that are granted by the item for only certain levels. This would also fill in your attack and damage numbers--a bonus for sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wrong Thread

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2012

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Are essentials character supposed to be able to take the extra at-will as a human? I was pretty sure they weren't supposed to be able to, thus heroic effort.

The reason I ask is because someone brought up a Human Scout who takes throw and stab or twin strike being able to make three attacks per turn.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Namagem posted:

Are essentials character supposed to be able to take the extra at-will as a human? I was pretty sure they weren't supposed to be able to, thus heroic effort.

They certainly can. Most human scouts I've seen take Heroic Effort, though, because...

Namagem posted:

The reason I ask is because someone brought up a Human Scout who takes throw and stab or twin strike being able to make three attacks per turn.

...this doesn't work at all. Dual Weapon Attack only triggers off melee basic attacks.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

tzirean posted:

They certainly can. Most human scouts I've seen take Heroic Effort, though, because...

...this doesn't work at all. Dual Weapon Attack only triggers off melee basic attacks.

Throw and stab gives you a melee basic after the move.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Namagem posted:

Throw and stab gives you a melee basic after the move.

Forgot about that. It's still pretty far from optimal for a scout, though; the thrown weapon attack will be at a disadvantage because no human scout will ever have their Str and Dex equal, and the ability doesn't count as a charge, which takes away a lot of what makes scouts good. But if they want to take it, it's clearly allowed.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have been working on this off and on for the last four days. I've probably spent 4-5 hours trying to get CBLoader to function properly on my computer to no avail.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. I have installed the legacy builder and updated it to November 2009. It has the correct flex stats for the original PHB races. I try to apply the October 2010 patch and it gets reverted to an older, pre-flex stat form. I tried dropping the CBL files into the legacy builder directory both before and after the October 2010 patch. I have tried installing it on my desktop, straight into C:\, in various locations on my D:\ drive, in the default Program Files (x86) folder, and on a USB drive. So far no combination of those things has made it work for me.

I tried following Greyhawk Fan's instructions as well as the getting started page on the CBLoader wiki but neither have worked for me.

I'm getting a little disheartened here. :(

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Aranan posted:

I'm getting a little disheartened here. :(
First, You should only have to update the legacy builder once. So install it from your backup and make sure you have the October 2010 updates. You don't need anything from November 2009. Make sure everything works good before trying to to add CBLoader. I wouldn't install it to a USB drive. I mean you technically can install it there but recommend against it unless it is a decent modern drive with a SuperSpeed 3.0 connection. Make sure your October update is pointed at the correct location.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Greyhawk Fan posted:

First, You should only have to update the legacy builder once. So install it from your backup and make sure you have the October 2010 updates. You don't need anything from November 2009. Make sure everything works good before trying to to add CBLoader. I wouldn't install it to a USB drive. I mean you technically can install it there but recommend against it unless it is a decent modern drive with a SuperSpeed 3.0 connection. Make sure your October update is pointed at the correct location.

The USB thing was really just desperation on my part.

Okay, I have successfully installed and updated the legacy builder to October 2010. I'm getting the right flex stats, etc. I then tried copying over the CBL files (Custom folder, CBLoader.exe, default.cbconfig, and NativeDebugWrappers.dll) and fired it up. It took a little longer to load than previously... but it's still all the same. I know it has to be functioning at least a little bit because I'm not getting error messages and it loads when using CBLoader.exe, but as far as I can tell it's just the same character builder.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Do you have any index files or part files in the Custom folder? CBLoader isn't going to do anything unless it has something to work with or knows where to look for stuff to work with.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

isndl posted:

Do you have any index files or part files in the Custom folder? CBLoader isn't going to do anything unless it has something to work with or knows where to look for stuff to work with.

I was under the impression that launching CBLoader would automatically download some part files. Is that wrong?

edit: Looks like I was misunderstanding CBLoader. Whoops! I snagged a few part files to try it out and it works fine now. :)

Aranan fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 30, 2012

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nothing to see here. Move along, citizens. Have a Happy Day.

navyjack fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 30, 2012

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Edit your post. We have no idea what you're talking about.

If you have further questions, take it to PM's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithrus
Oct 17, 2011
Thri-Kreen Weapon Master feat isn't adding damage to chatkcha. The damage line has gythka instead of chatkcha.

Mithrus fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 1, 2012

• Locked thread