Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Jackard posted:

Hard to tell whether the blankets are an actual tradition or if the grandmother is just loving with them again :v:

I'm still undecided on this one too :v:

Here's a few videos I found, one is a lovely promo video for the comic and the fourth volume in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yO7Ybp91WA

And the second is Mori at a signing event, banging out an Amir like it ain't no thing: (with a big ol ink pen even :stare:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5YtWxwBic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

Well there it is. The real plot of Vinland Saga emerges. Everything up until now has been to give Thorfinn the perspective to want to build a better society in a new world.

Well, the story has a long way to go. He has to be tutored on how to sail a ship first off and find his wife back on Iceland. More than likely you're going to see a plot arc with Leif and Thorfinn doing this before he makes the trip to Vinland.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Thorfinn will likely escape Denmark back to Iceland with Lief by this arc's conclusion anyway, so most of that can be wrapped up on the way to Vinland.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

And the second is Mori at a signing event, banging out an Amir like it ain't no thing: (with a big ol ink pen even :stare:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5YtWxwBic

:stare: is right, that's so awesome. Otoyomegatari has so much detailed work it's stunning to see her just hammer that character out so quickly.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I'm still undecided on this one too :v:

Here's a few videos I found, one is a lovely promo video for the comic and the fourth volume in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yO7Ybp91WA

Well, I can see it being very much like a sauna which does do a wonderful job clearing out your pores etc.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

Well there it is. The real plot of Vinland Saga emerges. Everything up until now has been to give Thorfinn the perspective to want to build a better society in a new world.

But... [major history spoilers for the likely end of the whole Vinland Saga manga] This is going to be such a god drat sad story... Thorfinn Karlsefni's expedition historically ends with a misunderstanding leading to war with the Skraelings. In Vinland Saga Thorfinn is going to get all the way to loving Newfoundland, build a town there, start to raise a family... but war is going to follow him there and destroy it all. :smith:

Well, since the manga is just loosely based on real events and not an illustrated history book, it's entirely possible that the ending will be happy :unsmith:

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 25, 2012

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, since the manga is just loosely based on real events and not an illustrated history book, it's entirely possible that the ending will be happy :unsmith:

I don't know, it would be just like Vinland saga to poo poo all over Thorfinn's dream. Character development doesn't stop here, I wouldn't expect Thorfinn's newfound pacifism to not be harshly tested.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Recorded history isn't always accurate either, so it might turn out he fakes the death of the village or something.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I've been reading this new manga that came out of nowhere called Hishintan, and it's a fictional, low fantasy version of the events of the Roman Crisis of the Third Century, just after the death of Caracalla. And while its obviously a fantasy (especially everything about the main character), it is incredibly well-researched and there are many an injoke and reference that only the most nerdy of Roman history geeks will get.

Also the artwork is great:

I also loving love how they set up the historical characters, especially seeing how unnerving lil' Elagabalus can be.

Link: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hishintan-Vita-Arcana/001?id=129204

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 24, 2012

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Never thought I'd read a manga featuring Elagabalus. :psyduck:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming the little high-priest kid is Elagabalus? How can he be unnerving?

Loved the giga-phallus fertility statue candle-light, i'm pretty sure i've seen that in real life somewhere. Not so much loving the constant tits&rear end and the sometimes incomprehensible action scenes. The artist uses way too many straight lines.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, you kinda have to slow down for the action scenes and read some of the sound effects or else you'd be totally lost do to all the lines in them.

The tits and asses sure are gratuitous though. But then so are erect penises :gonk:

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/84

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ha just noticed that Thorfinn face is pretty similar to Askeladd now that he's older

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
This will turn out badly.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This will turn out badly.

How long have we been saying that for again?

(This will turn out badly.)

AnonymousGuest
Jul 24, 2007
http://www.mangareader.net/vinland-saga/85

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

:suspense:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

loving only 20 pages. :negative:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Viking monks hell yea

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Fuckkk too short

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Oh goddamnit, these are the cruelest months. :suspense: describes it perfectly.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Askeladd :unsmith:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Simstim posted:

Fuckkk too short

Holy crap after about 6+ months of awesome but slow farmville build up we get 20 pages and a serious case of gently caress you I dont want to wait a month :smithfrog:

Zasze fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 25, 2012

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man the months of buildup just made that one chapter all the more incredible.

Askeladd. :allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zasze posted:

Holy crap after about 6+ months of awesome but slow farmville build up we get 20 pages and a serious case of gently caress you I dont want to wait a month :smithfrog:

6+ months? It's been three years since the "prologue" ended.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
Vinland Saga is a breath of fresh air amongst the usual manga pulp that is entirely about glorifying violence. Gotta love pacifist badasses!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Hoooooooly poo poo. How long till the next chapter?

I loved every minute of farmville, and now I'm loving every panel of this. Next chapter can't possibly come fast enough.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Snake has been my favorite character since the farming started (minus the appearances by Askeladd) so dang I am looking forward to this

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Simstim posted:

Fuckkk too short

That's how I feel about every Vinland Saga update. They could make the next one 300 pages and I'll still think it's too short. I loved the little bit with Askeladd challenging Thorfinn on his new found beliefs. I think this fight closely mirrors the fight that Thors had with Askeladd and is first step to becoming a "true warrior"

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

You know, if they actually pulled this off and somehow went on their little journey I'd be pleasantly surprised.

But will TRAGEDY STRIKE AGAIN?! :ohdear:

(and will the creator die before finishing all of this?)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Askeladd :swoon:. And we better have some Swedish Kung-fu next chapter.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
So what do you guys think will happen with this escape? I am guessing they will manage to work it out without killing anyone, then Knut's men will show up and wreck everybody's poo poo!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

furiouskoala posted:

So what do you guys think will happen with this escape? I am guessing they will manage to work it out without killing anyone, then Knut's men will show up and wreck everybody's poo poo!

I think the arrival of Canute's soldiers will force Snake to withdraw from his fight with Thorfinn, giving Thorfinn the chance to escape from the farm.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

Oh goddamnit, these are the cruelest months. :suspense: describes it perfectly.

Cruelty is a word that is too kind. Waiting for the next chapter after this one ended with Thorfinn deciding to fight Snake despite his desire to be peaceful is an appalling concept.

Going to echo the love for Askeladd though. :buddy:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mo_Steel posted:

Cruelty is a word that is too kind. Waiting for the next chapter after this one ended with Thorfinn deciding to fight Snake despite his desire to be peaceful is an appalling concept.

Going to echo the love for Askeladd though. :buddy:

I disagree. In the ultraviolent world that Thorfinn lives in his original pacifism epiphany doesn't really work. However his new synthesis of ideas, as aided by the ghost of Askeladd, retains his desire to not fight while acknowledging that when a dude with a sword wants to do something you think is wrong there's not much other option. Further he's not fighting to kill Snake, but rather fighting to temporarily incapacitate him.

As long as he retains his reluctance to fight, and when forced to do so utilizes the least violence and damage necessary to get away, this is a good balance between his training and his desire for peace. Especially given the idea that he's leaving this violent world behind when he finally goes to Vinland.

They also did a good job of building Snake up just with his internal dialogue. We knew he was pretty good, but determining what weapons Thorfinn is most comfortable with after just one pass is a nice little addition to the implied legend of Snake. It's too bad that I don't think things will end well for Snake.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The best fight in this manga was Thorfinn's father beating down all those other vikings with his bare hands. I'm glad we are going to get more

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Thorfinn is basically aiming to be like his dad was during the fight on the boats. Not killing but still being able to defend yourself and others.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Cbouncerrun posted:

Thorfinn is basically aiming to be like his dad was during the fight on the boats. Not killing but still being able to defend yourself and others.
It's a nice tie-in, and much more interesting than the original stance.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah there is definitively a mirror between the fight with Snake and the fight between Thors and Askaledd. The thing I love about this manga is that they just leave it at that. Any other artist would have had a two page spread of Thors spirit watching down on Thorfinn with an approving hand on his shoulder, a word bubble saying "good job son" and a few other pages to make sure you picked up on that.