Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

Have you ever ridden one? The new VMax handles terribly in my opinion so it's possible the old one might, too. I love the engine and the looks, though.

I remember reading a review of the original V-Max that described the riding experience as:

quote:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
poo poo, a corner two miles away
Stop. Please stop. Please please please please please stop.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Repeat until hospital.

The new V-Max apparently handles a thousand times better than the old one, which might give you an idea how bad the old one was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Abe Froman posted:

I don't think $3k is insulting at all. Plus, it's craigslist. I'm sure he's gotten offers for $1500 + a microwave oven by now.

Since I need to coordinate seeing this bike with a friend that I don't want to drag all over town on wild goose chases I emailed the seller and said if the bike was in good condition I was prepared to offer $2800.

He said he already had better offers. Oh well, if I see it still advertised next week I'll offer him $2700. :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember reading a review of the original V-Max that described the riding experience

I've heard the Vmax described as an overengineered tire disposal device.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember reading a review of the original V-Max that described the riding experience as:

The new V-Max apparently handles a thousand times better than the old one, which might give you an idea how bad the old one was.

I can't find any stock I guess I'll just have to ride it and see how bad is bad. This is one with all the community mods to improve handling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DtzCANz9Ck

Looks like it's holding lines just fine. I'm not afraid of wrench time - this will be replacing my 83 Honda Shadow that has needed a few garage weekends for the 6 years I've owned it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Well luckily for you the Vmax first came out in 1985 so riding it will be a very similar sensation...

Edit:
To make a helpful suggestion I'd check out any of the naked standards made in the last 10 years by pretty much every major maker out there. Think SV1000 / Tuono / 919 / Speed Triple / Z1000 / etc.

n8r fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 22, 2012

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Halo_4am posted:

Looks like it's holding lines just fine.

To be fair the world's biggest piece of poo poo motorcycle could replicate that video. It's not that it can't get around just fine, it's just that it's sort of a pain to do it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not that bad, just that it has a bit of oversteer if you gas it. Not nearly as hosed as a vtr sp2 I test rode, that thing would only corner if you climbed all over it like a monkey on cocaine.

Not nearly as powerful as you might expect though, and that's the 140hp extra boost whatever version. Shakes the rear end when doing superlegal speeds.

The one I've ridden had abysmal ergos but with straight bars, rearsets about half an inch from your exit hole and gangly unflexible legs it was to be expected.

PS only the old & respectably fat people seem to keep these around.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Other helpful input:

The Yamaha Royal Star (tour deluxe!) is a nice metric cruiser that's propelled by a Vmax-derived 1300cc four. The only thing I'd fault it for is having a shaft and not a belt but I suppose that preference is pretty subjective.

The Yamaha (Road Star) Warrior has an eager EFI 1700cc on a smallish frame with decent suspension, drag/musclebike ergos, more classic look.

Both of the above put down about 80hp though, not exactly up to your 100hp bar.

The H-D vrod is probably the closest Harley gets to the Vmax - similar musclebike ergos, lots of horsies for a Harley.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

n8r posted:

Well luckily for you the Vmax first came out in 1985 so riding it will be a very similar sensation...

Edit:
To make a helpful suggestion I'd check out any of the naked standards made in the last 10 years by pretty much every major maker out there. Think SV1000 / Tuono / 919 / Speed Triple / Z1000 / etc.

I'm very comfortable with the current bike. The pegs have seen plenty of asphalt high center of gravity be damned. I'd be just fine if the max were identical to it.

As to your suggestions it goes back to the cruiser for riding comfort/preference. I can sit straight up on the old and busted Shadow with plenty of room to lean forward or stand as conditions warrant. I much prefer it to the modern laid back style of cruisers and the more aggressive forward leaning sport bikes I've been on.

The 919 seems close enough to take a look at though, thanks!

clutchpuck posted:

Other helpful input:

The Yamaha Royal Star (tour deluxe!) is a nice metric cruiser that's propelled by a Vmax-derived 1300cc four. The only thing I'd fault it for is having a shaft and not a belt but I suppose that preference is pretty subjective.

The Yamaha (Road Star) Warrior has an eager EFI 1700cc on a smallish frame with decent suspension, drag/musclebike ergos, more classic look.

Both of the above put down about 80hp though, not exactly up to your 100hp bar.

The H-D vrod is probably the closest Harley gets to the Vmax - similar musclebike ergos, lots of horsies for a Harley.

I hadn't considered the royal star and it seems to ride very neutrally. I'll dig into it a bit. The only thing keeping me off a V-Rod is the price tag, they're sharp as hell.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 22, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

I'm very comfortable with the current bike. The pegs have seen plenty of asphalt high center of gravity be damned. I'd be just fine if the max were identical to it.

As to your suggestions it goes back to the cruiser for riding comfort/preference. I can sit straight up on the old and busted Shadow with plenty of room to lean forward or stand as conditions warrant. I much prefer it to the modern laid back style of cruisers and the more aggressive forward leaning sport bikes I've been on.

I hadn't considered the royal star and it seems to ride very neutrally. I'll dig into it a bit. The only thing keeping me off a V-Rod is the price tag, they're sharp as hell.

Bmw r1100/1150/1200r have a relaxed, upright riding position but handle, plus 50mpg.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If forward lean is a concern, check out the Ulysses, you sit up bolt straight.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

epalm posted:

A 2010 DL650 for $3000? I haven't seen anything even close to that price.

I think you read my post wrong. $5000 for the bike.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I think you read my post wrong. $5000 for the bike.

Yep :downs:

Still, I haven't seen a 2010 for even close to $5000 :(

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

epalm posted:

Yep :downs:

Still, I haven't seen a 2010 for even close to $5000 :(

I've got this theory that people on the internet sell their bikes for more because we're young and not as good at negotiating deals. I'd try calling around all the dealerships and see what they've got. Also, there's a thread on gtamotorcycle about importing bikes from the states that you might want to check out. It's not very much work and it's waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper, plus if you can get a few days off work it's great for a first scenic ride!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Bikes w/ handlebars are always about $25 away from a changed riding position..

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

n8r posted:

Bikes w/ handlebars are always about $25 away from a changed riding position..
I've never had a motorcycle that didn't look and feel better after changing bars. For me it's a major step in shaping the fit of the bike from a broad design made for most people to a custom setup made for me.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Thanks for the alternate suggestions - I did look into them and was honestly really liking the idea of the BMW standards.

Then this 2006 VMax popped up on the local craigslist with 2200 miles on it... I'm afraid I did the old 'give me all kinds of advice so I can promptly ignore it and do what I want anyway' thing.

Coming soon to the 'what did you do to your ride today' thread:
Frame stabilizers, swing arm replacements, larger fuel tank mod and a E/N thread about why not to buy a drag bike disguised as a cruiser.

I might even get proper goony and put a big stupid scary face on my bike:
http://www.sascustomcycles.co.uk/VMax-Bodywork-GEN1%282294587%29.htm

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If it's the bike that will make you happy, go for it dude. Most any bike is going to compromise on something you want and riding isn't all about any one aspect. Go for it.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Halo_4am posted:

old 'give me all kinds of advice so I can promptly ignore it and do what I want anyway' thing.

Congrats dude, I like those bikes.

Requesting video of upcoming rolling burnouts.

Cylon bike.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Thanks guys. I got it home tonight and without proper insurance or plates I took it easy so I can't say anything on high speed handling... but <45mph turns it's quite honestly an improvement to my 83 Shadow. I guess that means I don't know what I'm missing as far as how easy bikes are to turn these days.

It is not forgiving at all. I didn't properly roll through a turn on it and let off the throttle then gave it a bit more to finish up... bike bucks like a bull. Way more so than a Ninja 250, CBR600, or Norge 1200 which is all I have as sport riding experience to compare it to. I'll have to practice some fast stops in turns and weaves and all kinds of other poo poo to be sure my skill set is where it needs to be to not die on this thing before I can comment too much on high speeds.

From conversations I'm pretty sure the original owner got this to spite an ex-wife and it was his first bike. If this were my first bike I'd have been terrified of it, and I'm guessing from the miles he was a bit too.

That said - I've now got an 83 Honda Shadow vt750c I need to unload. I'm giving a couple of first time rider friends of mine first crack at it but I'll toss it here with maintenance history and photos if they don't want it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
So here's my dilemma.

This guy is willing to sell his 2010 DL650 for $7,500. As you can see, it has all the trimmings. It also has 20K kms in 2 years, meaning it hasn't ever sat in a garage for very long.

The alternative is a 2012 DL650 for $9,000. It's the demo model at my local dealership. It has no trimmings.

I'm definitely going to want at least bags, heated grips, engine guard, centre stand. Is this a no-brainer and I should get the used 2010? If I do, will I be missing out on significant 2012 improvements?

epswing fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 24, 2012

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Halo_4am posted:

:getin:

The 919 is a sweet old dude bike. I sure as hell don't need any more power. It breaks all speed limits in 2nd gear easily. It is not a high strung 4 cyl, plenty of low end grunt. I shift well before 5K under normal driving. I blast away from traffic at about 1/4 throttle. Cruises at 80 mph nicely. The 17 front 44 rear sprocket conversion is popular to lower highway RPM a bit. I see no need for it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I really like the 919 but I've heard it's a budget built bike and it shows in build quality and terrible suspension. What do you think?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

hayden. posted:

I really like the 919 but I've heard it's a budget built bike and it shows in build quality and terrible suspension. What do you think?

I think it's on par with the other available used ~$3000 dollar bikes, at least that's what I paid for mine. I wouldn't call it budget. I have ridden a Ninja 250, and a 76 CB550 so I'm not really qualified as a suspension expert. I feel comfortable on it, and I'm on the version that came without front adjustable suspension. It goes around turns with confidence, but I'm not out trying to drag a knee on public roads or hitting track days.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

hayden. posted:

It's much more of a cruiser than the Hornet (599), but both suffer from the direct-acting linkageless setup and fairly nasty Showa shocks. It's like Honda did it deliberately to nobble both bikes so people would keep buying the CBR6/'blade.

IIRC the 919 also suffered from the usual Honda in the 90s thing of underspringing and underdamping forks, at least until they put better forks on towards the end of its run. The build quality isn't the budget part, though with the 919 and pre-2007 Hornets, if the bike has been anywhere with a winter, the steel frame will almost inevitably rust, much as with the CBR600 steelies.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
A '93 Suzuki GS500E is too much bike for an absolute beginner, right?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I see it recommended for beginners all the time. In fact that's the first bike I'm looking to get.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not too much at all, it's a pretty tame little kitten.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
05 Suzuki GS500F was my first bike. Wasn't too much bike, and you can still pass on the highway!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

hayden. posted:

This was probably more an issue with the early Z1000, which had a sportier appearance and a rowdier engine than the Honda ( or similar Yamaha FZ1.) The Honda and Yamaha were both marketed and styled more as commuting / do everything bikes versus the Kawi streetfighter; their parts were budget but sporting expectations were lower and the target buyer less likely to ride beyond the bike's capability.

I had an '03 Z, a black one same year as the orange linked earlier, and in retrospect it was quite crudely built and suspended. Clearly the budget had been blown on the engine, which made it a poo poo ton of fun nonetheless. Remember that the fit/finish and suspension standards are relative to a high-end race rep, if you're comparing it to a muscle cruiser it'll be much more favorable.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.

clutchpuck posted:

Not too much at all, it's a pretty tame little kitten.

That's great news! There seem to be a lot in the area, and I love the look of them. Thanks!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

epalm posted:

So here's my dilemma.

This guy is willing to sell his 2010 DL650 for $7,500. As you can see, it has all the trimmings. It also has 20K kms in 2 years, meaning it hasn't ever sat in a garage for very long.

The alternative is a 2012 DL650 for $9,000. It's the demo model at my local dealership. It has no trimmings.

I'm definitely going to want at least bags, heated grips, engine guard, centre stand. Is this a no-brainer and I should get the used 2010? If I do, will I be missing out on significant 2012 improvements?

Get the 2010 if there's nothing wrong with it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Chris Knight posted:

Get the 2010 if there's nothing wrong with it.

If all goes according to plan, the 2010 will be mine by Monday night :)

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I know this post is sort of useless without pics or specifics, but here it goes:

I'm looking for a DRZ. There are three local to me, one at a dealer and two on CL.

I test rode the Dealer one. It's a 00 with a laundry list of mods including larger tank, Excel rims/Continental tires, stock rims and tires, exhaust, big bore kit, etc. The dealer wants $3200 for it.

The other two are:

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/3204075837.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/3170308979.html

I'm leaning towards the dealer one even though it costs a bit more due to the fact it comes with both sets of rims and piece of mind that it was inspected.

Any opinions?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I wouldn't really rely on a dealer to inspect it beyond "it works". I certainly wouldn't pay more for it.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I've been considering using a motorcycle to save money on commuting (I drive a total of about 17 miles on weekdays and an extra 68 on Sundays) and have been looking into how financially feasible it is with the cost of an MSF BRC, gear, and of course the bike. The Suzuki TU250X seems like a perfect candidate (very good MPG, relatively inexpensive, visually attractive, only 250cc but apparently can go fast enough to help me not become a smear on the highway). Is there any particular reason that this wouldn't be a good bike for what I intend to use it for?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

E4C85D38 posted:

I've been considering using a motorcycle to save money on commuting (I drive a total of about 17 miles on weekdays and an extra 68 on Sundays) and have been looking into how financially feasible it is with the cost of an MSF BRC, gear, and of course the bike. The Suzuki TU250X seems like a perfect candidate (very good MPG, relatively inexpensive, visually attractive, only 250cc but apparently can go fast enough to help me not become a smear on the highway). Is there any particular reason that this wouldn't be a good bike for what I intend to use it for?

I will only answer your first question: the financial feasibility of economic 'cycling.

I looked for a car for almost a solid year and couldn't find a used deal that would work with the limited funds I had available.

Within two weeks of deciding I wanted to ride a motorcycle I was on the road.

MSF course was: $199
'87 Honda Rebel 250 & modular helmet & tax, tag, and title: $1500
Insurance: $93
License update fee: $17
Jacket & boots & full-fingered gloves: $230

All together my never-motorcycled-before to on-the-road cost was less than $2100. I've since had people tell me that "It's a myth that motorcycling is cheaper than driving a car." My up-front expenses disprove that; where can I find a working, used car in good condition for 2100 bucks? Of course, I'm trying to be generous and am waiving tax, tag, and title and insurance.

The guys in my MSF course were in the same boat and we all ended up talking about our on-the-road cost. One guy did it for $500 because his Dad gave him an old 'cycle, another did it for $2300, and another did it for about $1700.

It goes without saying that gas is cheaper - it costs me nine bucks to fill my tank and I get 70mpg. My tank needs a refill around 190 or so miles.

Seriously, whoever started the "motorcycling is not cheaper" thing needs to look at some real numbers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wulframn posted:

Seriously, whoever started the "motorcycling is not cheaper" thing needs to look at some real numbers.
Good post, but it really depends on the person and where they live.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I thought one of the main reasons why commuting by bike is more expensive than by car is that the extra maintenance costs will eat you up in the long run. Wear items like tires and batteries last for a fraction of the time and maintenance intervals are generally more demanding, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wulframn posted:

If you have no other vehicle to pay for and you really can ride year round and you never need to carry moving boxes around in your vehicle and poo poo, yeah, a bike is cheaper. Very few people in the USA fit in those categories.