Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HighHobo
Aug 23, 2012

Shaggar posted:

visual studio sucks.

Tell me what's better??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
p

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

lachose1 posted:

Tell me what's better??

IntelliJ IDEA™

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Condiv posted:

IntelliJ IDEA™

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

lachose1 posted:

Tell me what's better??

your favorite text editor. I recommend Sublime Text 2 or vim.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
actually IDEs do have their place its just most of them also have a lot of problems and aren't as good at just editing code as a nice ... editor.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yesssss text editor chat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if speed of text entry is the limiting factor of your coding then you're already doing so many things wrong I dont even know where to start

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ronald Raiden posted:

actually IDEs do have their place
far away

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
shitlord web developers think debuggers are arcane, what a surprise

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lachose1 posted:

Tell me what's better??

eclipse

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

vapid cutlery posted:

shitlord web developers think debuggers are arcane, what a surprise

well debuggers are great, thats one of the benefits you get out of putting up with an IDE. Or if you are doing like, c, you can just use gdb.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Ronald Raiden posted:

well debuggers are great, thats one of the benefits you get out of putting up with an IDE. Or if you are doing like, c, you can just use gdb.

lol

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i use gdb or the llvm debugger too. in xcode

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you can tell I'm a hardcore coder by the lovely, archaic tools I use.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

i use advanced debugging tools such as print and echo

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
being paid to write objc is basically the best thing in the world

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

you can tell I'm a hardcore coder by the lovely, archaic tools I use.

this is me in real life

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i do all my work in vim and gdb

welp, see ya!

HighHobo
Aug 23, 2012

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!
Walked over to the new hire's desk and watched him try and code C in notepad.exe
Wanted to cry

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i do all my work in emacs and gdb

welp, see ya!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Meiwaku posted:

Walked over to the new hire's desk and watched him try and code C in notepad.exe
Wanted to cry
why

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Meiwaku posted:

Wanted to cry

used to code c in nano/pico due to that's how my intro to c course was taught. gently caress you intro to c course. also c.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

c# is ok. visual studio sucks. theirs no .net version of maven. sometimes u gotta be aware that the library ur using is actually wrappers around unmanaged code and u gotta be careful to dispose it properly. duck typing is dumb and breeds bad habits. all exceptions being unchecked is stupid.

shaggar was right

Also I've said this before, but if you are developing unmanaged code for Win32 in Visual Studio instead of using the DDK then you are doing it wrong.

Doing an embedded project at the moment and I'm being forced to use a toy programming language (nesC) to do it. Surprise surprise, toy languages suck. I mean it's not actively a hindrance as such, it just doesn't give me anything and its pre-emption static analysis model is really naive and stupid.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so i taught myself more sql with perl this weekend. im scraping the local police dispatch logs, storing them in mysql and then geolocating them all. then i have a client script that calcs distance and alerts me if poo poo goes down within 1 mile radius of my house.

the sql bit was a little tricky b/c timestamps, incident descriptions and addresses can all be duplicated, but all 3 will never be duplicated at once, so I ended up taking an md5 of $timestamp.$desc.$addr and using that as a unique index field. Then since i'm scraping the whole page each minute and will see entries multiple times, i md5 each item and if that index exists, skip. i guess sql can do this but i didnt want to build up a bunch of huge gross queries at 2am saturday night

for the geo i'm doing a v. simple query via geocoder.us, which rate limits to one query every 15 seconds for free accounts, so i set up a background script to build a LIFO queue of items with no location and geolocate them out.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
ios owns

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Jonny 290 posted:

the sql bit was a little tricky b/c timestamps, incident descriptions and addresses can all be duplicated, but all 3 will never be duplicated at once, so I ended up taking an md5 of $timestamp.$desc.$addr and using that as a unique index field. Then since i'm scraping the whole page each minute and will see entries multiple times, i md5 each item and if that index exists, skip. i guess sql can do this but i didnt want to build up a bunch of huge gross queries at 2am saturday night

tbh that sounds like a shitton more work than making a unique index on (timestamp, description, address)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

tbh that sounds like a shitton more work than making a unique index on (timestamp, description, address)

lmao

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Jonny 290 posted:

so i taught myself more sql with perl this weekend. im scraping the local police dispatch logs, storing them in mysql and then geolocating them all. then i have a client script that calcs distance and alerts me if poo poo goes down within 1 mile radius of my house.

for the geo i'm doing a v. simple query via geocoder.us, which rate limits to one query every 15 seconds for free accounts, so i set up a background script to build a LIFO queue of items with no location and geolocate them out.

why not just use a synthetic key instead of a hodgepodge md5 thingy

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

c# is ok. visual studio sucks. theirs no .net version of maven. sometimes u gotta be aware that the library ur using is actually wrappers around unmanaged code and u gotta be careful to dispose it properly. duck typing is dumb and breeds bad habits. all exceptions being unchecked is stupid.

checked exceptions are dumb in java

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wrong

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

this is not a shaggar was right moment, sorry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont think i can just use a serial number because entries don't always show up on the page in the order of their timestamps. a quick noise complaint call at 01:00:00 might go up right away but then you'll reload and see there was a big old hostage rescue thing or whatever at 00:58:27 and it took them longer to put it up on the page, but it'll still show up before the 01:00:00 in the list. so i'd then have to renumber and insert. i think.

back when i scraped the intake logs, i had a unique index in the inmate log, but no such luck here.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
time for another day of doing my part to usher in the glorious web 2.0 future but before i do i'm going to take a minute to reflect on how lucky i am not to be using java

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
checked exceptions are good because they force the programmer to handle problems that are likely to occur and can be handled by your code or presented to the user. IOExceptions, for example. java decided to make these exceptions checked because otherwise its up to the developer to realize they need to handle them.

The only people who dont like checked exceptions are lazy p-languagers who arent writing code that matters.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont think i can just use a serial number because entries don't always show up on the page in the order of their timestamps. a quick noise complaint call at 01:00:00 might go up right away but then you'll reload and see there was a big old hostage rescue thing or whatever at 00:58:27 and it took them longer to put it up on the page, but it'll still show up before the 01:00:00 in the list. so i'd then have to renumber and insert. i think.

back when i scraped the intake logs, i had a unique index in the inmate log, but no such luck here.

well that's why you have a `created` column, and never consider the synthetic index unless you're doing crud operations on the row

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Jonny 290 posted:

Where do you get these logs?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

checked exceptions are good because they force the programmer to handle problems that are likely to occur and can be handled by your code or presented to the user. IOExceptions, for example. java decided to make these exceptions checked because otherwise its up to the developer to realize they need to handle them.

The only people who dont like checked exceptions are lazy p-languagers who arent writing code that matters.

oh no we shouldn't let the developer decide what to do :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
developers are objectively terrible people with worse business sense

they should shut up and write code and do the least amount of that possible