Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SB35 posted:

Any suggestions as far as an (electrical or general) Engineer's desk reference book?

Well for EE, it really depends on what you do. If you're a RF guy, a say signal processing textbook/handbook may not be the most useful for you. That said, I don't really keep too many general reference books on hand at work, all of mine are very specific (high-speed signal integrity, PCI/PCIe specific, FPGA specific, etc).

I've actually found the FE prep book from Lindeburg and the NCEES reference manual they give you the FE to be very handy in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Honestly? I have all my college textbooks and company supplied manuals and texts on a shelf next to my desk and 99.9% of what I want to know is easier to find on the internet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 10, 2023

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Thoguh posted:

I've found that an engineer's bookshelf is much more of a personal statement than an actual daily resource.

"I didn't have to sell my books back for booze money after my paid internship." :smug:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

What is wrong with western Australia that is making them offer these obscene salaries?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wolfy posted:

What is wrong with western Australia that is making them offer these obscene salaries?

Blind guess, I'd assume the money is intended to offset suicidal thoughts from having absolutely nothing to do.

At least that's why salaries for people working in the Alaskan wilderness and stuff are so high, I think.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Wolfy posted:

As movax touched on, you're in the middle of absolutely nowhere, in obscenly hot places, working a fairly nasty shift before piling back out to civilisation.

When your life consists of 12-14 hours of work, then sitting in a mess hall eating a meal before sitting in a dorm (which they often give to someone else when you're off roster, so you can't necessarily decorate it to your liking) touching yourself to sleep, you don't really have much to do.

It's really not much different to working on an offshore oil rig, or in the boonies in Alaska/northern Canada, or probably somewhere horrid in the North Sea. They pay you wheelbarrows of solid gold in exchange for you not having a life.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Just accepted an offer for my second "grown-up" job, after starting my first about a year and a half ago. This one is almost a perfect match for my skills, interests, and career goals, while the other one had me doing web development work (as an ECE specializing in digital design and firmware). I'm glad to be moving on (I get a real, honest to God office!), but I don't think it's going to be possible to leave the old job in good graces: they're already understaffed and in the middle of a hiring freeze. Any advice, aside from the obvious "be gracious, don't be a dick"? Any tips on things to look out for when transitioning "big boy" jobs? I'm sure there's a lot that can be lost in the shuffle.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
Anybody experienced with getting an engineering masters through distance learning? I'm active duty military living in Tucson. I have a BS EE. It's not really possible to attend classes in person as I'll be deploying frequently. I really need to start working a masters of some kind. I'd prefer to stay in the EE field if possible. Any advice?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Zuph posted:

Just accepted an offer for my second "grown-up" job, after starting my first about a year and a half ago. This one is almost a perfect match for my skills, interests, and career goals, while the other one had me doing web development work (as an ECE specializing in digital design and firmware). I'm glad to be moving on (I get a real, honest to God office!), but I don't think it's going to be possible to leave the old job in good graces: they're already understaffed and in the middle of a hiring freeze. Any advice, aside from the obvious "be gracious, don't be a dick"? Any tips on things to look out for when transitioning "big boy" jobs? I'm sure there's a lot that can be lost in the shuffle.
Just as a matter of courtesy, if/when your current employer makes a counter-offer to try to get you to stay, don't tell your current coworkers about it. We recently lost 7 people to another company and in the process I found out that an engineer who had started a month after me was (a) getting paid almost $2/hr more than I am and (b) was offered even more to stay. Really wish I didn't know that.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Noctone posted:

Just as a matter of courtesy, if/when your current employer makes a counter-offer to try to get you to stay, don't tell your current coworkers about it. We recently lost 7 people to another company and in the process I found out that an engineer who had started a month after me was (a) getting paid almost $2/hr more than I am and (b) was offered even more to stay. Really wish I didn't know that.

Why?

Why aren't you asking for more money based on that disclosure? I don't really understand how it is bad that you now know you could be making more money.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Seems like it would be more courteous to tell your workmates that they're letting their lovely employer rip them off, but maybe that's just me.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
mistake post.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Corla Plankun posted:

Why?

Why aren't you asking for more money based on that disclosure? I don't really understand how it is bad that you now know you could be making more money.

Safe and Secure! posted:

Seems like it would be more courteous to tell your workmates that they're letting their lovely employer rip them off, but maybe that's just me.

If you two are aware of any realistic way to leverage that information for a raise (and to do so without poisoning your former coworker's ability to get a reference), I'm all ears. Show me a boss that will give a raise solely based on "well [x person who did the same work as me and started around the same time I did] was getting paid that much" and I'll show you my surprised face. More than ever, the only useful leverage employees have for a raise these days is "or else I'll take my talents elsewhere." That's a bluff many people can't make in the current job market.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

manic mike posted:

Anybody experienced with getting an engineering masters through distance learning? I'm active duty military living in Tucson. I have a BS EE. It's not really possible to attend classes in person as I'll be deploying frequently. I really need to start working a masters of some kind. I'd prefer to stay in the EE field if possible. Any advice?

I am not sure how many worthwhile degree programs would fit in with an AF deployment lifestyle (I forgot which airframe you ended up with). I assume most officers end up with management masters from the usual diploma mills.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

manic mike posted:

Tons of online MBA programs out there if that's your cup of tea. I'm in the process of starting a masters in engineering management through Old Dominion University, which is offered as distance learning, but not all their courses are on Adobe Connect or other true "you can take it anywhere" sense. A lot of what they pitch as distance learning appears to mean "branch campuse via VTC".

ODU's catalog:
http://eng.odu.edu/enma/academics/EMSELongSched22Nov2011.pdf

Edit: wow, oddly enough, they offer distance learning in Arizona through Yavapai College. I seriously wouldn't have expected that! Nowhere near Tuscon, though, so still doesn't help you. ODU works closely with the Navy, so they're accustomed to dealing with active duty military.

grover fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 26, 2012

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Noctone posted:

More than ever, the only useful leverage employees have for a raise these days is "or else I'll take my talents elsewhere." That's a bluff many people can't make in the current job market.

In any job market this is a good way to shoot yourself in the foot. You'll probably kill any potential promotions as well as get to the front of the line if any layoffs come about.

The best way to negotiate is with another company's offer letter in hand.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

movax posted:

I am not sure how many worthwhile degree programs would fit in with an AF deployment lifestyle (I forgot which airframe you ended up with). I assume most officers end up with management masters from the usual diploma mills.

You're right, most do. The koolaid is so tasty how can we resist. But I knew at least one pilot who managed a MSEE. It is possible.

grover posted:

Tons of online MBA programs out there if that's your cup of tea. I'm in the process of starting a masters in engineering management through Old Dominion University, which is offered as distance learning, but not all their courses are on Adobe Connect or other true "you can take it anywhere" sense. A lot of what they pitch as distance learning appears to mean "branch campuse via VTC".

ODU's catalog:
http://eng.odu.edu/enma/academics/EMSELongSched22Nov2011.pdf

Edit: wow, oddly enough, they offer distance learning in Arizona through Yavapai College. I seriously wouldn't have expected that! Nowhere near Tuscon, though, so still doesn't help you. ODU works closely with the Navy, so they're accustomed to dealing with active duty military.

I don't know much about the MBA but I did consider something like that. Truth is I'm a little overwhelmed at the number of degree types available to me. Many of them are related to engineering it seems. How would I pick one?

I'd really like to do an MSEE though.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

manic mike posted:

I don't know much about the MBA but I did consider something like that. Truth is I'm a little overwhelmed at the number of degree types available to me. Many of them are related to engineering it seems. How would I pick one?
The big question is: where do you want to go with your career? Hate to say it, but I haven't seen many jobs out there where a technical masters would be of any benefit at all; outside of academia, the higher level positions all seem to tend towards the business/management side, and all an MS would do is help you compete a little better against BS applicants for journeyman-level positions. Burns me, too, as I don't enjoy the business side nearly as much as I enjoy the technical side (it's why I became an engineer in the first place!), but there's nowhere to go with my career at this point but deeper into management.

grover fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 26, 2012

Flash18
Apr 3, 2009

Wolfy posted:

I wouldn't say the work is as horrible as the aforementioned have made it out to be. Different mine sites have different amenities; ie gyms, sports fields etc. You *might* not have someone in your room when your off-shift.

Because of the mining industry, the cost of living in Perth is stupidly high. Despite not having near the facilities as Sydney, it's median house price is on par with it. The low population isn't enough to service the mining industry, and no-one will move here because of the living cost. Nepotism is rife, so it's pretty hard to get in the industry without knowing someone. The qualifications they want are generally super specific, and most companies aren't keen on hiring someone to train them up because the turnover rate is extremely high because of the conditions: they want someone that is tried and tested.

Renting in Perth is stupid as hell. Demand is outstripping supply and most folk are actually having to offer more than the asking rent in order to secure a place.

So basically a combination of
a) A small amount of people are actually willing to do the work
b) Of that small group, the companies will only hire a few of those people
c) The cost of living in Perth constraining that group even further

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'd like to get my feet wet with robotics. Since I'll be pretty busy this semester with work and school(mech eng) I thought Lego Mindstorms would be a fun start. Two things, is this a worthy endeavor and is it possible to somehow put this experience on my resume? I plan on doing lots of exploration and not just basic stuff with it before I consider the knowledge resume worthy.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

huhu posted:

I'd like to get my feet wet with robotics. Since I'll be pretty busy this semester with work and school(mech eng) I thought Lego Mindstorms would be a fun start. Two things, is this a worthy endeavor and is it possible to somehow put this experience on my resume? I plan on doing lots of exploration and not just basic stuff with it before I consider the knowledge resume worthy.

You might be better off picking up an arduino and some basic servo or stepper motors and going that route. Lego Mindstorms is great, but probably limiting if you want to do projects for a resume. Plus you learn how to program in something more like a real programming language.

If you're not comfortable jumping in that deep, maybe look at the Vex Robotics kit. It's like an older version of Lego Mindstorms.

Also, look to see if there's a Mechatronics or intro to embedded class offered at your school. It might be an EE class instead of ME, but that'll get you started as well.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 27, 2012

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Frinkahedron posted:

You might be better off picking up an arduino and some basic servo or stepper motors and going that route. Lego Mindstorms is great, but probably limiting if you want to do projects for a resume. Plus you learn how to program in something more like a real programming language.

If you're not comfortable jumping in that deep, maybe look at the Vex Robotics kit. It's like an older version of Lego Mindstorms.

Also, look to see if there's a Mechatronics or intro to embedded class offered at your school. It might be an EE class instead of ME, but that'll get you started as well.
Is there anything that works along with Python? Hopefully that's not a dumb question but that's currently the language I'm teaching myself. Sadly as far as classes go I'm out of room for classes before I graduate.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

huhu posted:

Is there anything that works along with Python? Hopefully that's not a dumb question but that's currently the language I'm teaching myself. Sadly as far as classes go I'm out of room for classes before I graduate.
If you're doing mech eng, teaching yourself Matlab/Octave or C would probably be more useful (in that I haven't seen Python used in mechanical engineering but Matlab and C turned up a lot). The undergrad robotics course I tutored used both of those, as did many other courses. Most of the hardware you would want to use is very easy to program in C.

If you're set on Python, it'd be a little harder but doable; google indicates that people have gotten python working on arduinos, but you can also just control an arduino over serial from a PC using a control program in python (this is what I mostly do with Arduinos anyway although my control programs are in C++). You'd need to pick up a tiny bit of C to run on the Arduino but there's a lot of documentation; something as basic as "read serial, if input A do B, if input C do D, else do nothing" wouldn't take you long to work out. You can get an arduino, a couple of servos, a breadboard, some header pins and some connector leads off ebay for under $50 total.

If you have the money, you can shell out for a gumstix/beagle board/raspberry pi, all of which can run linux and could run python fairly easily, but aren't as easy to set up and the higher level of complexity could make things more difficult.

Be warned that this can very easily turn into an expensive hobby. Also, I've posted this before, but the most important thing in robotics is the software rather than the hardware. Depending on your level of programming experience, it might be worthwhile to do an online CS or AI course (Sebastian Thrun runs a really good one at udacity and there are some other good ones there) before you start on the hardware.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

grover posted:

The big question is: where do you want to go with your career? Hate to say it, but I haven't seen many jobs out there where a technical masters would be of any benefit at all; outside of academia, the higher level positions all seem to tend towards the business/management side, and all an MS would do is help you compete a little better against BS applicants for journeyman-level positions. Burns me, too, as I don't enjoy the business side nearly as much as I enjoy the technical side (it's why I became an engineer in the first place!), but there's nowhere to go with my career at this point but deeper into management.

This sounds like wise advice. I'm committed to the AF until 2022 so it's difficult to answer a question about my career. In fact for the past several months I've been considering all kinds of different paths. But the pressure is on to get a masters. Or at least that's what Big Blue keeps telling me.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Finally moving back to engineering. I did tech writing for nearly 5 years, and I thought I was ruint for getting back into to mechanical engineering. Turns out I was, as I'm going to be a process controls engineer.

HMI Graphics was my "in" that let me apply 4 of my 5 years of writing. I did all sorts of writing (which make no bones people appreciate, but in general that is a plus-up skill for an engineer, rather than a "We need that guy" kind of skill), but my main focus was P&IDs, PFDs, GAs, etc for training animations. I drew the little vessels and valves and such, then programmed them in flash to interact.

Well, it turns out that's what controls engineers do, in addition to setting up the PID loops and laying out control panels. I had no idea. I mean they (we?) have a controls PE exam, so it's an actual career path.

I just need that offer letter to come today so I can pee in a cup.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

T-1000 posted:

If you're doing mech eng, teaching yourself Matlab/Octave or C would probably be more useful (in that I haven't seen Python used in mechanical engineering but Matlab and C turned up a lot). The undergrad robotics course I tutored used both of those, as did many other courses. Most of the hardware you would want to use is very easy to program in C.

If you're set on Python, it'd be a little harder but doable; google indicates that people have gotten python working on arduinos, but you can also just control an arduino over serial from a PC using a control program in python (this is what I mostly do with Arduinos anyway although my control programs are in C++). You'd need to pick up a tiny bit of C to run on the Arduino but there's a lot of documentation; something as basic as "read serial, if input A do B, if input C do D, else do nothing" wouldn't take you long to work out. You can get an arduino, a couple of servos, a breadboard, some header pins and some connector leads off ebay for under $50 total.

Python is decent if he doesn't know any programming at all right now; the basic constructs/concepts can be taken from language to language. That said,

quote:

If you have the money, you can shell out for a gumstix/beagle board/raspberry pi, all of which can run linux and could run python fairly easily, but aren't as easy to set up and the higher level of complexity could make things more difficult.

A cheap board like these (well, the RaspPi anyway) can save you from having to deal with embedded C and a possibly expensive programmer/debugger for the micro in use.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've already taken two courses in Matlab. I was talking with some people at my internship and they said Python is a useful language to learn. From what I've read it's pretty easy to work with. I've already been involved with some HTML and Visual Basic so I'm not a beginner to coding. How easy does C rank in all of these? School starts in a week so I don't really have time for a language with a large learning curve. As far as Python goes I've already written programs to "Discover the largest product of five consecutive digits in the given 1000-digit number." and "Find the only Pythagorean triplet, {a, b, c}, for which a + b + c = 1000." just to give you an example of where I'm at in the language.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

huhu posted:

I've already taken two courses in Matlab. I was talking with some people at my internship and they said Python is a useful language to learn. From what I've read it's pretty easy to work with. I've already been involved with some HTML and Visual Basic so I'm not a beginner to coding. How easy does C rank in all of these? School starts in a week so I don't really have time for a language with a large learning curve. As far as Python goes I've already written programs to "Discover the largest product of five consecutive digits in the given 1000-digit number." and "Find the only Pythagorean triplet, {a, b, c}, for which a + b + c = 1000." just to give you an example of where I'm at in the language.

I assume that since we are in Engineering thread computer language for you is a way to get job done rather than actual job. From this perspective Python is a best choice, imo. 'C' has much more complicated syntax and was never expected to become a computational language. Fortran used(?) to be a de-facto standard in scientific and engineering world due to the computational abilities. Despite a large amount of legacy code written in Fortran I see more and more engineers switching to Python.

Also if you like Matlab and Python you absolutely need to take a look at NumPy and SciPy - it is a great replacement of Matlab. And there is a nice Python thread on SA.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

huhu posted:

Do a competition. Something like this:
http://ewh.ieee.org/reg/3/southeastcon2013/documents/IEEE%20Southeastcon%202013%20-%20Hardwave%20Rules%20-%20Version%201.pdf

Though not that specifically because this year's task is going to be really hard for a complete beginner. But I would imagine there is similar stuff going on around the country. Get a few people from your school together and put together an entry. It gives you something concrete for your resume and, more importantly, having a deadline and a goal is great motivation.

huhu posted:

For robotics you are looking at embedded systems programming. Mostly that means you are going to be programming in some form of embedded C or assembly. Which means you are going to be programming in C because you really, really don't want to use assembly.

If you are just getting started I think an Arduino is the only choice. If you get stuck you can type almost literally anything and "Arduino" into Google and find somebody telling you exactly how to do it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

T-1000 posted:

You can get an arduino, a couple of servos, a breadboard, some header pins and some connector leads off ebay for under $50 total.
I looked into Aruino and I like the coding of it over Lego Mindstorms which looks a little too basic for what I want. I also like the cost a lot more. I can justify spending $100 or less on a nice used/non used setup, could you guys help me pick a good setup? If possible I'd like to include a simple motor of sorts to do dynamic mechanical stuff. I tried looking on Ebay myself I'm just not sure what I need or don't need.

huhu fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 28, 2012

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

huhu posted:

If you already know Matlab, there's the option of just using it (or Octave if you can't afford Matlab). There are serial packages for both and you could fairly easily control an Arduino to do a whole bunch of stuff. That said, if you want to learn something else, Python is getting pretty popular and it definitely wouldn't hurt to know it. C is probably one of the harder languages to pick up; it's very low-level in how it controls memory, for example, but that is also one of its strengths once you know what you're doing. Knowing Matlab would help as the basic syntax in C can be very similar, but the more advanced stuff in C can be much harder and you get compiler errors that drive you up the wall. I'd still say it's easier than VB, but I hate VB and can't really be trusted. If you're keen on python, you may as well stick with it, it's user friendly.

movax posted:

A cheap board like these (well, the RaspPi anyway) can save you from having to deal with embedded C and a possibly expensive programmer/debugger for the micro in use.
Not really an issue with arduinos, the embeddedness is mostly abstracted away and the programmer is a USB cable (and half the sellers on ebay throw that in for free with the board itself). Their other big advantage is that you can get a lot of I/O pins very easily and do stuff like PWM and serial comms very, very easily. That said, the raspberry pi is powerful enough that you can probably do everything onboard up to and including video processing (albeit slowly) which is pretty cool. They're pretty cutting edge and there is a pretty keen development community which would help but you may have a slightly harder time interfacing with sensors and actuators as I don't recall the raspberry pi having that many I/O pins.

Exergy posted:

I assume that since we are in Engineering thread computer language for you is a way to get job done rather than actual job. From this perspective Python is a best choice, imo. 'C' has much more complicated syntax and was never expected to become a computational language. Fortran used(?) to be a de-facto standard in scientific and engineering world due to the computational abilities. Despite a large amount of legacy code written in Fortran I see more and more engineers switching to Python.

Also if you like Matlab and Python you absolutely need to take a look at NumPy and SciPy - it is a great replacement of Matlab. And there is a nice Python thread on SA.
Not trying to start a programming-derail, but for what it's worth, I've never even been exposed to Fortran - everything I or any of my friends have done was C, C++, Matlab or Python. I don't think it was even taught at university (admittedly not that long ago). I always got the idea that Fortran was largely obsolete unless you needed really, really fast execution or had a legacy system running it. Also, what do you mean by C not being intended as a "computational language"?

My python-advocating friends also rate NumPy highly.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

For robotics you are looking at embedded systems programming. Mostly that means you are going to be programming in some form of embedded C or assembly. Which means you are going to be programming in C because you really, really don't want to use assembly.
I must respectfully disagree. Programming the embedded system is a part of the whole problem, but really should be as minimal a part as possible because embedded system programming is a nightmare and huhu wants to be doing awesome robotics stuff rather than debugging a bad timer or servo control. Most of the low-level code you need to run a robot you can get off the shelf, leaving you free to focus on getting the robot to do something interesting. C is the predominant (only real) low-level language and familiarity with it is very helpful, but arduino-C is easy to pick up. Beyond that, he has the option of putting all his processing on the Arduino (in which case C would be more helpful) or having the brain be on another board and controlling via bluetooth/zigbee/wifi/serial, in which case he would have more flexibility in his language choice.

edit:

huhu posted:

I looked into Aruino and I like the coding of it over Lego Mindstorms which looks a little too basic for what I want. I also like the cost a lot more. I can justify spending $100 or less on a nice used/non used setup, could you guys help me pick a good setup? If possible I'd like to include a simple motor of sorts to do dynamic mechanical stuff. I tried looking on Ebay myself I'm just not sure what I need or don't need.
The easiest thing to do if you're starting out is to copy someone else's design. Chances are you can do a search and get a million robot how-to's using arduino.

Alternatively, all you need is an arduino board, a solderless breadboard, a bunch of cables for wiring the board (don't know what they're called), a couple of servo motors, and a few LEDs and resistors to get started.

If you want a mobile robot, you can pick up a dual gearbox kit (Tamiya make a good one), an H-bridge chip or equivalent (for powering the motors, they draw too much current to run direct off the microcontroller), some batteries, and maybe some sort of wireless shield for the arduino to let you send commands wirelessly if you want to remote control it.

Sonar and IR sensors are pretty easy to acquire but a little more fiddly to make work. LCD screens can be useful for status info. Keypads can be useful for control. Plenty of documentation out there for all this. It's probably best to start small though.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 28, 2012

Flash18
Apr 3, 2009
You could get one of these 3pi robots http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/975 and try that out. They have expansion kits so that might be suitable for you. They're programmable in C.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Flash18 posted:

You could get one of these 3pi robots http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/975 and try that out. They have expansion kits so that might be suitable for you. They're programmable in C.

Thanks but I like the idea of separate components over everything together. How is this:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2190

Edit: Sorry for derailing the thread, hopefully after this post or two it'll be back on track.

huhu fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 28, 2012

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm a college student (UK, so I'm 17 and will be applying for universities in a few months) interested in engineering, and I was originally going to go for a mechanical engineering degree but my main interest is in robotics and that sort of thing. Anyway, looking through a course guide, I spotted mechatronic engineering as a course at a few places, and thought it seemed right for me. A combination of electronic and mechanical engineering to deal with the various situations when the two collide, from what I gather, incorporating systems design and some computing.

Leeds University offers a Mechatronics and Robotics (MEng) course, and that's my top choice at the minute, but I just wanted to make sure that mechatronics wasn't less valued in some way than a straight mechanical/electronic engineering degree. I dread coming out with my fancy newfangled degree and being told it's worthless, basically. It doesn't seem that way, but only a few places offer it and it's quite new, so just wanted to make sure it is in fact a respected field, and was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it with regards to job opportunities after uni, and how they compare to ME/EE degree prospects. Thanks a lot.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jakabite posted:

I'm a college student (UK, so I'm 17 and will be applying for universities in a few months) interested in engineering, and I was originally going to go for a mechanical engineering degree but my main interest is in robotics and that sort of thing. Anyway, looking through a course guide, I spotted mechatronic engineering as a course at a few places, and thought it seemed right for me. A combination of electronic and mechanical engineering to deal with the various situations when the two collide, from what I gather, incorporating systems design and some computing.

Leeds University offers a Mechatronics and Robotics (MEng) course, and that's my top choice at the minute, but I just wanted to make sure that mechatronics wasn't less valued in some way than a straight mechanical/electronic engineering degree. I dread coming out with my fancy newfangled degree and being told it's worthless, basically. It doesn't seem that way, but only a few places offer it and it's quite new, so just wanted to make sure it is in fact a respected field, and was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it with regards to job opportunities after uni, and how they compare to ME/EE degree prospects. Thanks a lot.

I am not familiar with the situation in the UK, but my gut tells me that a mechatronics degree might be considered the same as a biomedical engineering degree here in the States. It may be more applicable to getting a biomedical engineering degree at the masters or PhD level, but some people here view it as a "jack of all trades, master of none" type degree, versus someone who does straight ME or EE, and specializes in biomedical-related areas. ME is incredibly broad, as is EE.

What are you most interested in about robotics? The controls? Software? Electronics? Mechanical design?

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

T-1000 posted:

Not trying to start a programming-derail, but for what it's worth, I've never even been exposed to Fortran - everything I or any of my friends have done was C, C++, Matlab or Python. I don't think it was even taught at university (admittedly not that long ago). I always got the idea that Fortran was largely obsolete unless you needed really, really fast execution or had a legacy system running it. Also, what do you mean by C not being intended as a "computational language"?

This note is based on my experience in chemical and petroleum industry. In early 2000's when doing PhD I worked with several relatively large ChE software packages, both with numeric part written in Fortran and GUI in C/C++. I even did some development for one of it as a side project.

Then I joined my current company and again - majority of software uses the same combination. And those are not small university or student projects - large-scale simulators widely used in petroleum industry and available commercially. From this I can tell that majority of large and established packages are originating from 80's and 90's with numeric written in Fortran and none of these companies will ever commit their resources to converting it to Python or what have you. Now with the raise of Python new software may be developed in it, although Fortran still is very appealing due to huge repository of well-established math and specialized libraries. So comparing the amount of legacy code with new developments in industry I believe that Fortran may easily stay for another 5-10 years. The fact that it was not taught at university is a poor argument against language, more against the relevance of education. I also had to learn Fortran myself.

As for C - it was created as a general-purpose language mainly for system programming, while Fortran was created just for numerical computations. Really let's avoid derailing, especially since there are plenty of discussions on C vs. Fortran and we may spend a lot of time trying to reach an agreement.

Overall, what I am trying to say - whether you like it or not real world chemical, petroleum, CFD and many other applications run on Fortran. And sustaining or development of new features requires Fortran.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

movax posted:

I am not familiar with the situation in the UK, but my gut tells me that a mechatronics degree might be considered the same as a biomedical engineering degree here in the States. It may be more applicable to getting a biomedical engineering degree at the masters or PhD level, but some people here view it as a "jack of all trades, master of none" type degree, versus someone who does straight ME or EE, and specializes in biomedical-related areas. ME is incredibly broad, as is EE.

What are you most interested in about robotics? The controls? Software? Electronics? Mechanical design?

I'm not really sure, that's the thing. Just the overall design, and then getting an idea of how all the parts work together. The algorithm writing aspect is good fun too, the programming, but I don't really want to do straight computer science. Like I said, I did lean more towards mechanical but now I'm probably swaying more towards EE. Thanks for the input by the way!

I saw a few other mechatronic engineers further up the thread, I don't suppose any of you guys could weigh in if you're reading this?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Jakabite posted:

I'm not really sure, that's the thing. Just the overall design, and then getting an idea of how all the parts work together. The algorithm writing aspect is good fun too, the programming, but I don't really want to do straight computer science. Like I said, I did lean more towards mechanical but now I'm probably swaying more towards EE. Thanks for the input by the way!

For what it's worth, many of my mates did Mechatronics at UQ here in Australia and none struggled to get a job. They were all good students with decent marks and the job market here at the time was seeing an average of over 90% instant employment in engineering, so take what you will from that.

For what it's worth, my company at the time did not accept Mechatronics degrees - only pure mech or elec. We do a lot of combining those fields though so it was almost certainly to their detriment. I expect them to change it if they haven't already.

It's a pretty interesting major. I was personally very close to choosing it myself. It really shines at the interface of both fields, eg: power transmissions in electrical motors and traction equipment, or in control systems eg: for robotics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Jakabite posted:

I saw a few other mechatronic engineers further up the thread, I don't suppose any of you guys could weigh in if you're reading this?

The lab I do my graduate work is basically a Mechatronics lab, but we are all mechanical or electrical engineers that are specializing. You are probably better off doing an ME or EE and either getting a minor in Mechatronics (or at least plan your electives to have a lot of those classes you can put on a resume). That way you can still say I'm an Electrical/Mechanical engineer for a whole slew of other jobs as well as having that mechatronics experience.