Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Athenry posted:

Oh, I'm sorry; I misunderstood. You can get added to hers no problem, Hers getting added to yours will be.

Can't he start a new contract for his phone, then assume her contract as well and add it to his share plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, I am eligible for a corporate discount of I think 18%. If we get the plan with 4GB of data for $150/month ($40 +$40 +$70), but the eligibility only extends to me, how does that work? Is the 18% only calculated on the $40 cost of having my phone on the account? Or do I get the 18% calculated on the whole $150, since I'm the account holder regardless of who uses each phone on my account?
As I understand it, with the new Share plans the 18% would only apply to the $70 charge.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Has anyone gone from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus with the 2100 mAh battery to a Verizon Galaxy S III? I'm curious what kind of battery life difference (if any) folks are noticing day-to-day. Is the radio hardware much different in the GS III? Obviously the move from an OMAP4460 processor in the GNex to a Snapdragon S4 in the GS III should help, but I guess I'm suspicious of the real-world savings.

Also, can any previous Verizon GNex owners speak to the GS III's (improved?) radio performance? The GNex definitely seems tolerable if you manage to get a working one, but it still feels like a far cry from a "good" radio experience.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place, I guess. The GNex burns through batteries and has so-so radio quality, I don't want to reward Samsung with more money on the GS III (Wolfson removed, caved to Verizon on the bootloader, sorta incremental upgrade from the GNex anyway), and the Droid RAZR HD is basically dead to me since Motorola seems to be taking steps backwards. Gee guys, people really loved the RAZR Maxx, maybe we should make the display use more battery (reasonable choice) and lop off a quarter of the loving battery capacity while we're there (effing retarded choice). Enjoy Blur and a locked bootloader!

It's like you can't win with these shitheels.

kbar fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 27, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Since the Razr HD is using an LCD rather than AMOLED, i'm assuming the 3300mAh battery would have made it a bit too thick.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yes, it's as if they should have used the thinner screen technology.

The obsession with "thin" really sucks, especially given how thick something like the RAZR Maxx, 3300 mAh battery and all, isn't. I feel like I'm a reasonable individual; but I don't feel comfortable paying a hundred bucks and putting up with a colossal pocket-brick to have a legit phone with a legit battery.

Please sell us a legit phone with a legit battery, somebody.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kbar posted:

Yes, it's as if they should have used the thinner screen technology.

But people railed against Motorola for using a pentile screen. Well the only non-pentile screens available are LCDs and those are a bit thicker. They listened to complaints and used a non-pentile screen.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't it seems.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yes, it's as if they should use a competitive AMOLED screen.

There's a big quality delta between PenTile qHD and PenTile 720p. One looks pretty lovely at these densities, one looks great at these densities and powers a veritable sales freight train.

You know all this, you're just being silly.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

But people railed against Motorola for using a pentile screen. Well the only non-pentile screens available are LCDs and those are a bit thicker. They listened to complaints and used a non-pentile screen.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't it seems.

Well at this point, I think they did themselves in with the MAXX battery. It's set an expectation as far as I'm concerned. I can easily overlook the screen on my MAXX. Regardless of how beautiful a screen may be is not worth the phone dying by 4pm. Just my perspective. They should put the MAXX battery in freaking everything from now on.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

hotsauce posted:

They should put the MAXX battery in freaking everything from now on.
This, absolutely. It's like, hey dummies, you did something right here (even if it was a Maxxcident). Congratulations, this is how you build all your phones now.

no guys i'm pretty sure people bought our last phone because blur is so great let's cut the battery back down and run that poo poo into the ground

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kbar posted:

Has anyone gone from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus with the 2100 mAh battery to a Verizon Galaxy S III? I'm curious what kind of battery life difference (if any) folks are noticing day-to-day.
I personally haven't, no. If you're willing to tolerate secondary-sources on it, Droid Life's review does talk about battery life and LTE signal quality improvements, the latter particularly in comparison with the Galaxy Nexus. The comparison isn't as thorough as I'd like, but perhaps it gives some impression.

kbar posted:

Is the radio hardware much different in the GS III?
Yes, absolutely. The US SGS3's SoC (S4 Krait) includes an on-die baseband that integrates CDMA, GSM/UMTS, and LTE support. It's far better than past multi-chip solutions, and just works well.

kbar posted:

I don't want to reward Samsung with more money on the GS III (Wolfson removed, caved to Verizon on the bootloader, sorta incremental upgrade from the GNex anyway),
The Wolfson is more-or-less a necessary trade in going from the Exynos 4412 to S4/Krait. I can't comment on whether it's technically feasible/infeasible to add the Wolfson to S4 designs, but if it is possible, it would've been a good deal of effort for Samsung to shoe-horn (and likely fuckup) whereas the S4's integrated audio is a working packaged solution. So I'll give them a pass on that. No comments on its quality though, that's not something I evaluate well.

As for the bootloader, it's really not clear that Samsung had any real choice in the matter given that the S4 already includes a secure boot facility (which Verizon knows) and it was literally a matter of Samsung (being forced) to acknowledge it through loading of the kernel. Of course, that much was even a "botched" (as in, perhaps they made it just sufficient to pass internal testing) job, Samsung promised to release (don't think it's actually hit yet though) a developer unit as some means of compensation, and Samsung leaked an unsecured bootloader anyways.

I mean, it's a lovely situation either way. But it's pretty clear here that Verizon forced Samsung's hand on the matter when they've never locked down their devices otherwise. This contrasts to Motorola who, until very recently was consistently locking down their devices whether they needed to or not.

Honestly give the SGS3 a spin on CM10. Cyanogen has already commented that the latter (especially on the SGS3) is nearing the RC phase, so it's a good time. If it doesn't work out for you, I'm sure you'll have no trouble flipping it.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 27, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, that's the direction I've been leaning. Thanks for your (well-sourced) feedback, as always. I've been wading through this thread on R-dub trying to decide if it's a good idea. The general consensus is veering toward the GNex being a very good experience, but a hacked-up SGS3 being a better one. Weirdly enough, I think I'd actually enjoy having the better-quality camera, and some dude in there was saying you can disable the capacitive buttons and mod the hard button to be a camera shutter. So like, that'd be pretty cool.

Basically every comment re: GNex with 2100 mAh battery vs. SGS3 mentions a difference of anywhere from "a few extra hours" to "holy poo poo, lol." So yeah, sounds like you're spot-on about the legitimacy of the S4 package. Some bro in there posted side-by-side RSSI readings for both CDMA and LTE on both phones in his area, and the SGS3 was a decent improvement on both. That'd definitely make my life a little nicer for tethering.

The DAC bitching is something I do mostly in a vaccuum, I guess. I miss the Wolfsons from my SGS1-based phones, but in practice the DAC on the GNex has been "good enough" and the Krait DAC is supposed to be decent. We'll see.

The thing that spurred this was managing to lose my spare GNex battery this morning, so it's like, do I get another extended battery for ~$30, or I just spend the $100-125 delta and move up to better hardware? (And possibly spend less time swapping batteries on the subway)

What are you carrying these days, and why?

kbar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 27, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

With the bootloader leak/unlock, the Verizon S3 steps right up with the rest of the S3 handsets. CM10 is coming along well and is almost daily-driver territory and has already been included in the official nightlies.

So far, I've been getting all-day+ for my standard usage patterns on my S3. I work in a pretty well-saturated LTE market, and it's pretty rare that I'm fighting for a signal.

The biggest battery sink for the S3 is the same as every other (S)AMOLED(+)(HD) equipped device out there, the screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kbar posted:

Yes, it's as if they should use a competitive AMOLED screen.

There's a big quality delta between PenTile qHD and PenTile 720p. One looks pretty lovely at these densities, one looks great at these densities and powers a veritable sales freight train.

You know all this, you're just being silly.

I also know that the colorboost LCD that motorola put in the Atrix HD is quite a bit better looking than the AMOLED display that's in my Galaxy Nexus.

I also know that there just might be supply issues sourcing 720p AMOLED panels seeing as how Samsung uses them in every model and they are selling in high volume. You notice that there aren't exactly a lot of other manufacturers using 720p AMOLED either.

You were NEVER going to buy the Razr HD anyways due to the bootloader, so I don't know why you are so incensed about the battery they put in it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 27, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You were NEVER going to buy the Razr HD anyways due to the bootloader, so I don't know why you are so incensed about the battery they put in it.

Because Motorola somehow manages every time to make awesome hardware with one or two deal-breaking flaws, and when they finally introduce a feature that fixes a flaw on basically every other phone in existence, they inexplicably decide to walk it back on the next generation.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kbar posted:

What are you carrying these days, and why?
Sprint SGS3. Still on SERO, which despite Sprint's laughably-woeful 3G data service, is basically the right price for my usage habits. I'm not a volume data consumer away from WiFi, but I need email and Navigation to work nearly everywhere, so the voice/1x data roaming on Verizon and USCC when I'm out in the boonies is very much prized over comparably-priced prepaid options.

As for the device itself, I honestly have to say that Samsung/Qualcomm knocked this one out of the park. My experience with the OG Epic was "pretty good" compared to par, especially once CM9 became an option. But the Epic 4G Touch is somehow actually a worse device in nearly every aspect, and my experience with it nearly made CDMA Samsung (and frankly, has made Exynos CDMA Samsung) irredeemable in my eyes. To say that my experience with the SGS3 is the antithesis of that is an understatement. It's a rock solid, drat reliable device, that actually works well, and works equally well on GSM and CDMA, which is huge for us (Sprint, USCC, Verizon, etc.) as we really are second-class citizens otherwise.

Since I'm not really into Google Now I've been flipping back and forth between the stock ICS TW ROM and CM10, the latter of which is coming along quite nicely. Again, it's hard to emphasize how much of a boon it is the SGS3 was released as a nearly-equivalent device on five US carriers. The two GSM models (d2att and d2tmo) are effectively-identical software wise, running the same kernel and all, with the main difference being in the radio (and even those might be swappable like the T989 radio was on the Skyrocket :o:).

The Sprint model is probably the most painful (aside from the Verizon bootloader shenanigans) because rear end in a top hat-Sprint has, apparently, decided to forego SIM slots on all their future LTE and global (GSM) devices. But even that only required a little RIL hackery--shared with the Evo 4G LTE even!--and pretty much works. Hell, even the USCC model was brought online with CM10 with nothing but a single kernel bug fix.

But in short, I find the cross-carriers situation absolutely pretty amazing. Right now US wireless is pretty hosed and it's going to stay hosed until VoLTE hits and legacy networks die. Until then, this is the closest we're going to get to "one phone that works on everyone" and if they can keep this trend going for a while (one of the next Nexus devices please?) it'll be awesome.

I will say there's three downsides to the SGS3. First, it's PenTile (albeit 720p) AMOLED for those who aren't thrilled with one or either of those. Second, the capacitive buttons are the same somewhat-janky single-brightness ones used all the way back in US SGS days. On screen probably really is the right answer. But since there's only two of these buttons, one on each side of the physical home key, meh turn off their lights and who cares. Third, the S4's Adreno GPU is underwhelming compared to it's contemporaries, but as a casual-gamer at best, it's not something I've been terribly concerned over.

Edit: Oh, and the SGS3 supports SVDO for simultaneous voice and data over 1x/EVDO, which is at least an interesting, if not nice perk over the Galaxy Nexus.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 27, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's because after years of frustrations over phones with pathetically small batteries, Motorola finally got the memo and did something unthinkable with the RAZR MAXX. And while you're probably right about the size issue with-respect to using an LCD panel (which perhaps also offsets its actual power consumption), seeing Moto put a smaller-than-the-MAXX battery into their next flagship can't help but to yield that kind of reaction.

That said, it seems other vendors have gotten the memo "please please just let us get through the day" and > 2000 mAh batteries in reasonably power efficient devices is a much better situation than what we've been in, in the past.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I wanted the RAZR HD to be S4 + 3300mAh so badly. I could go for several days with that kind of battery, even with a SAMOLEDHD screen.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Anyone else have trouble with a Galaxy Nexus and the USB port charging issue due to alleged 'water damage' and/or corrosion? Any luck getting it repaired either by Verizon without the $300 fee, or through Samsung directly?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Anyone else have trouble with a Galaxy Nexus and the USB port charging issue due to alleged 'water damage' and/or corrosion? Any luck getting it repaired either by Verizon without the $300 fee, or through Samsung directly?

Oh hey, I hadn't even heard of this issue. My wife's got one of these and the thing stopped charging (and indeed reeks of ozone) when charging through a USB cable connected to a car charger or computer. Maybe I should replace that before her phone blows up. :v:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

So using an LCD screen in the new RAZR decreases power usage a lot. Then just put the Maxx battery in it and we'll have a phone with mind blowing battery life!

There are people out there who say the Maxx is bulky, though, so I don't know what the hell. I think it's thin to the point where making it thinner would be a negligible difference and I'm sure the screen accounts for most of its height. Even with a thicker LCD I can't imagine it would add more than a few millimeters of thickness to an already super thin device.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 27, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Man_of_Teflon posted:

My USB port stopped charging and wouldn't connect to a PC. After a few days, it decided it would trickle charge plugged into a computer, but not the wall, and still wouldn't be recognized by the computer. That said, mine looked absolutely undamaged. Verizon 1-day shipped me a replacement, very hassle free. I don't even think mine was covered under warranty because I did some upgrade juggling to get it, but I had no problems.

Meldonox posted:

Oh hey, I hadn't even heard of this issue. My wife's got one of these and the thing stopped charging (and indeed reeks of ozone) when charging through a USB cable connected to a car charger or computer. Maybe I should replace that before her phone blows up. :v:

Yes, replace it :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sprint SGS3. Still on SERO, which despite Sprint's laughably-woeful 3G data service, is basically the right price for my usage habits. I'm not a volume data consumer away from WiFi, but I need email and Navigation to work nearly everywhere, so the voice/1x data roaming on Verizon and USCC when I'm out in the boonies is very much prized over comparably-priced prepaid options.

As for the device itself, I honestly have to say that Samsung/Qualcomm knocked this one out of the park. My experience with the OG Epic was "pretty good" compared to par, especially once CM9 became an option. But the Epic 4G Touch is somehow actually a worse device in nearly every aspect, and my experience with it nearly made CDMA Samsung (and frankly, has made Exynos CDMA Samsung) irredeemable in my eyes. To say that my experience with the SGS3 is the antithesis of that is an understatement. It's a rock solid, drat reliable device, that actually works well, and works equally well on GSM and CDMA, which is huge for us (Sprint, USCC, Verizon, etc.) as we really are second-class citizens otherwise.

Since I'm not really into Google Now I've been flipping back and forth between the stock ICS TW ROM and CM10, the latter of which is coming along quite nicely. Again, it's hard to emphasize how much of a boon it is the SGS3 was released as a nearly-equivalent device on five US carriers. The two GSM models (d2att and d2tmo) are effectively-identical software wise, running the same kernel and all, with the main difference being in the radio (and even those might be swappable like the T989 radio was on the Skyrocket :o:).

The Sprint model is probably the most painful (aside from the Verizon bootloader shenanigans) because rear end in a top hat-Sprint has, apparently, decided to forego SIM slots on all their future LTE and global (GSM) devices. But even that only required a little RIL hackery--shared with the Evo 4G LTE even!--and pretty much works. Hell, even the USCC model was brought online with CM10 with nothing but a single kernel bug fix.

But in short, I find the cross-carriers situation absolutely pretty amazing. Right now US wireless is pretty hosed and it's going to stay hosed until VoLTE hits and legacy networks die. Until then, this is the closest we're going to get to "one phone that works on everyone" and if they can keep this trend going for a while (one of the next Nexus devices please?) it'll be awesome.

I will say there's three downsides to the SGS3. First, it's PenTile (albeit 720p) AMOLED for those who aren't thrilled with one or either of those. Second, the capacitive buttons are the same somewhat-janky single-brightness ones used all the way back in US SGS days. On screen probably really is the right answer. But since there's only two of these buttons, one on each side of the physical home key, meh turn off their lights and who cares. Third, the S4's Adreno GPU is underwhelming compared to it's contemporaries, but as a casual-gamer at best, it's not something I've been terribly concerned over.

Edit: Oh, and the SGS3 supports SVDO for simultaneous voice and data over 1x/EVDO, which is at least an interesting, if not nice perk over the Galaxy Nexus.

Seconding the Galaxy S3 love (and as someone who also hates Samsung). I just got off a 2 week trip of traveling from the east to midwest (and then flew to the west coast), and the S3 would seriously last 3 times as long as the Galaxy Nexus (both on Sprint).

Btw, Kalibar I think it was you that mentioned the Ankar portable chargers, and I finally ended up getting one. Works great, thanks for mentioning that if that was you.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Well, I finally cracked my razr screen and it wont display anything no matter what I press or remove. Its cracked internally,meaning I can't feel them at all,only see them.

What are my options for a new phone? I am less then one year in a contract,and I don't have insurance on it. Am I resolved to trolling for cheap old phones I can pop a similar into or is the entire display changeable?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motorola will fix the display for $169 + tax which isn't really so bad when you think about it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
That is not terrible,unless that same money gets me into a different phone like a nexus. But I'm not choosy

I assume I contact motor direct for that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roundboy posted:

That is not terrible,unless that same money gets me into a different phone like a nexus. But I'm not choosy

Yeah, there's an online form you can fill out. After you get an RMA number from the form, you ship it to the address and they'll have it back to you 5 days after they receive it.

Note, I did this and they actually DIDN'T charge me. I don't know if it's because they hosed up or if they determined that the breakage wasn't due to accident or abuse and decided to cover the repair.

It looks like you can get a pre-owned Galaxy Nexus from Cowboom for about $330.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Motorola will fix the display for $169 + tax which isn't really so bad when you think about it.

It isn't a great price when used ones are going for ~$225 on eBay and dropping everyday. I imagine you could get at least $50 for a broken screen Razr, too; it looks like even bricked ones get $50-100. I also haven't had any bad experiences buying used phones, like bad ESNs, but maybe I've been lucky.

Roundboy posted:

If you're interested in upgrading to a Razr Maxx, you could probably flip your broken Razr and grab a used Maxx for ~$250-300 total out of pocket via eBay.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 28, 2012

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Does anybody know what the deal is with Verizon wireless blocking IRC? It worked fine for me over 3G until this spring. The ports used are open, but it seems that attempting to connect to most of the major IRC servers gets you immediately timed out regardless of the android client used. Everything works fine when connected over WiFi. A google search seems to indicate Verizon is selectively blocking IRC servers. I've been able to work around it for now, but its pretty annoying.

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 28, 2012

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

It isn't a great price when used ones are going for ~$225 on eBay and dropping everyday. I imagine you could get at least $50 for a broken screen Razr, too; it looks like even bricked ones get $50-100. I also haven't had any bad experiences buying used phones, like bad ESNs, but maybe I've been lucky.

If you're interested in upgrading to a Razr Maxx, you could probably flip your broken Razr and grab a used Maxx for ~$250-300 total out of pocket via eBay.

I debate a nexus now,at least the razr has been rock solid. I have a bit to decide I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

It isn't a great price when used ones are going for ~$225 on eBay and dropping everyday. I imagine you could get at least $50 for a broken screen Razr, too; it looks like even bricked ones get $50-100. I also haven't had any bad experiences buying used phones, like bad ESNs, but maybe I've been lucky..

Depends if you want to play the used/refurb game and hope you get a decent device. If your phone is otherwise problem free, I think I would rather pay to get the screen fixed and get my own device back.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
gonna go the moto rma route for now. I think ebay / craigslist phones are too chady to bother with and i dont have the time to find legit sellers.

Thanks all

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

cuedotnet posted:

So a month ago or so I deactivated my $30/mo unlimited hotspot after I heard vzw couldn't block hotspot apps anymore. So I started using FoxFi to tether my desktop. I blew up about 25 gigs using FoxFi alone. Curious and nervous to find out if verizon is going to drop the hammer and charge me for all that usage lol. Would probably run me about $400(including my bill). Maybe a little more. I won't know to the first, but, I'll post an update here as soon as I get that invoice xD

So I got my bill for Sept. I owe a measly $65.29. Its nice to see my bill finally normalize after grabbing the RAZR Maxx. July was $283 and August was $209. Even after eating 25 gigs of unpaid/tethered data, Big red only wants $65.29. I'm OK with it. For the record I'm on the grandfathered unlimited plan (individual line) 300 anytime minutes and 1000 texts. The lesson of the day: if you need a hotspot option and you have unlimited data, whether it be short or long term and you don't want to pay for it, get FoxFi. Apparently it really is as Daniel Hesse says..

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
actually stupid question: is it feasible to get a new phone as an additional line on my family plan, and switch sims so i get the new phone to use, and the other borked phone is relegated to $10 cell phone jail per month?

it almost works out to be going rates for phones in the long run

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Roundboy posted:

actually stupid question: is it feasible to get a new phone as an additional line on my family plan, and switch sims so i get the new phone to use, and the other borked phone is relegated to $10 cell phone jail per month?

it almost works out to be going rates for phones in the long run

You can if you have a dumbphone that doesn't require a data plan; I did that back in December to get my Galaxy Nexus when I wasn't upgrade-eligible. The thing to remember is that your local sales taxes and federal fees will make this not just $10. My sacrificial dumbphone was $17.40/month after taxes.

Doing that would have saved me mayyybe $50 over 2 years and I should've just paid full up front. I ended up ETF'ing out in the first month when I realized it all was a wash.

I wouldn't bother unless your aim is that you want to keep grandfathered unlimited data but you want to pay for your full-price phone over time.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 28, 2012

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

cuedotnet posted:

So I got my bill for Sept. I owe a measly $65.29. Its nice to see my bill finally normalize after grabbing the RAZR Maxx. July was $283 and August was $209. Even after eating 25 gigs of unpaid/tethered data, Big red only wants $65.29. I'm OK with it. For the record I'm on the grandfathered unlimited plan (individual line) 300 anytime minutes and 1000 texts. The lesson of the day: if you need a hotspot option and you have unlimited data, whether it be short or long term and you don't want to pay for it, get FoxFi. Apparently it really is as Daniel Hesse says..

It is. I'm over 20 gigs right now with lots of lte foxfi abuse. Enjoy it while it lasts I suppose

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

You can if you have a dumbphone that doesn't require a data plan; I did that back in December to get my Galaxy Nexus when I wasn't upgrade-eligible. The thing to remember is that your local sales taxes and federal fees will make this not just $10. My sacrificial dumbphone was $17.40/month after taxes.

Doing that would have saved me mayyybe $50 over 2 years and I should've just paid full up front. I ended up ETF'ing out in the first month when I realized it all was a wash.

I wouldn't bother unless your aim is that you want to keep grandfathered unlimited data but you want to pay for your full-price phone over time.

i'm on double data currently, so 2 phones @ 4gb each. I was just playing silly math games to figure out the best phone to get into my hands the cheapest. Cant pass the chance for a better phone if i can swing it

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

cuedotnet posted:

But Dan Hesse is the CEO of Sprint...

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

AlexDeGruven posted:

But Dan Hesse is the CEO of Sprint...

Yes but unlimited is unlimited :D

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
So, my girlfriend and I are both in a grandfathered Data plan, we're "eligible" for upgrades in three days but the very aggressive guy at Verizon let us know that we'd be dumped into a bucket plan if we upgrade -- there is currently no way around this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Each of you could buy a new phone off-contract and activate it on your lines. That would be more expensive up front, but save you cash in the long run.

• Locked thread