Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Well, and how does the rider stay on and remain uninjured after riding directly into something the size of a small human being on a 100kg dirt bike?

More plausible scenario, the dog wasn't under control, the rider was a dick (well, he did steal the bike so that fits) and didn't slow down, the dog got its head in the way and got hit by something hard going about 30mph.

And the dog owner is someone who refers to a dog as his "lost ... beautiful companion" (:stare: realdoll redux?), so he makes up a self justifying sob-story suitable for Daily Mail readers and animal crazies across our fair land.

I live about 15 minutes away from Farnham, so I'm just waiting for one of the many crazy animal people of my acquaintance to put this on facebook. Take bets amongst yourselves on how long this will take, I'll report back as and when.

e: all bets are off, posted about an hour ago!

Saga fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

That dog owner is full of poo poo.

Dog probably chased the bike (which they often do) leaped to intercept the bike (which they will do) and the collision injured and killed the dog. Dog walker decides to pin it all on the biker.

Biker leaves the psycho real-dog lover behind, ditches the bike and claims it to be stolen until this blows over or Walter Mitty, Dog Patron, is debunked.

That won't take much because Mitty's story doesn't add up at all.

Assume the biker is truly a cartoon villain that would straight up charge and kill some stranger's dog.

He did not manage to joust the dog at 60 mph (or 35mph v0v) on a disused quarry and survive.

He did not vault the dog 25 feet while leashed without loving up Mitty's arm.

He did not circle the scene maniacally for several minutes while Mitty's dog bled out, etc.

Mitty's bullshit about crying out the death of the dog, prompting biker to bolt when Mitty pulled a camera is fantasy. If biker can crank up from 0 to 60 mph on dirt/gravel within Mitty's sight range, he would be gone before Mitty could get pictures, let alone a picture from the front of the bike with his feet on the ground.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Ew it gets worse:

Capital FM posted:

They've traced the owner of the bike and found out it was stolen - the owner's been eliminated from their enquiries.

Steals a bike AND THEN kills a dog with it? What a tosser. Got to love the comments page too- I haven't seen such vitrol since the Mass Effect 3 thread. The concencus is that the locals will comb the community for him (how they will identify him whilst he is wearing full gear in the picture, I have no idea) and if found he will be either run over at 60mph or tried for attempted murder. :allears:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Saw this on the QPS Facebook feed today:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I wonder how he highsided..

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

JP Money posted:

I wonder how he highsided..

Yeah, not sure, my best guess is he was speeding, light goes red so he grabs a handful of front brake and goes over?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

A highside would be pretty impressive there. I'd expect lowside from the front tucking / endo. Unless endo means highside here. It would be pretty crazy watching him lock the rear up and have it come around, catch traction and kick him off.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Uncool bike news from the UK:

http://www.capitalfm.com/southcoast/on-air/news-travel/local-news/help-find-biker-who-killed-dog/

"THE RSPCA is trying to find a man who deliberately hit and killed a dog with his motorbike in Hampshire."

From the comments section:

code:
Melissa Berry · Works at I'm a full time Mummy!
It looks like a ktm bike ?

Lucy Jennings · Brunel Technical College
    omg!!what kind of person does that!!!!!

Oh come on they're not that bad :colbert:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Booked my road test for Sept. 2, just hope the weather's agreeable!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've got some great roads just outside my city, but up until recently I'd always get lost and and up in Monroe or worse, Granite Falls. Last weekend was the first cohesive curve-heavy run I've done through this area that took me where I wanted to go.

I think I can improve the route some; I don't like 15mph turns - they're almost always completely blind, there is often a patch of gravel or grass clippings on the road behind one, and I don't ride faster than I can see so am compelled to break pace for them.

Other than the hairpins and right angle turns, it's nice and shady and the speed limit is high enough to lean deep into turns and flip the bike back and forth a few times without breaking any laws - flipping the Uly's high CG back and forth is a bit of a wrestling match, gotta say.

Pretty accessible to Seattle folks, just north on I5 to US2.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's funny, but there's something about the place names near you that make me think of Grand Theft Auto. They sound just fake enough.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CJ YOUS A BUSTA

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Where are the curves in that picture...

edit: here i found some http://goo.gl/maps/5OfIH

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 27, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

I've got some great roads just outside my city, but up until recently I'd always get lost and and up in Monroe or worse, Granite Falls. Last weekend was the first cohesive curve-heavy run I've done through this area that took me where I wanted to go.

I think I can improve the route some; I don't like 15mph turns - they're almost always completely blind, there is often a patch of gravel or grass clippings on the road behind one, and I don't ride faster than I can see so am compelled to break pace for them.

Other than the hairpins and right angle turns, it's nice and shady and the speed limit is high enough to lean deep into turns and flip the bike back and forth a few times without breaking any laws - flipping the Uly's high CG back and forth is a bit of a wrestling match, gotta say.

Pretty accessible to Seattle folks, just north on I5 to US2.

If you have time, head to Granite Falls then hit up Mountain Loop Hwy. It'll connect up to 530 then 20. Alternatively, you can skip Granite Pass and start from 530 in Arlington. If you want to start out on 20 immediately, jump on I5 until Burlington. 20 is an amazing road, but it's only open during the warmer parts of the year.

E: Most of my friends live on the Kitsap Peninsula, so we do a lot of our riding there. We usually end up doing some sort of Dewatto run.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...&sz=15&t=m&z=11

There are so many random backroads it's easy to mix things up.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 27, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

Where are the curves in that picture...

OK Mill, Spada, Trombley all have you consistently transitioning from the last and setting up the next turn. Between Spada and Trombley, there's a fun straightish descent with lots of undulations that sends my stomach into my throat like a roller coaster - I could probably get hang time if I left my sense of self preservation at home. Speed limit is 45 with a blanket "curves ahead, 25mph" advisory and as I mentioned, a few 15mph blind puckerpins.

nsaP posted:

edit: here i found some http://goo.gl/maps/5OfIH

What you highlight is way straighter than it looks on a map and there's a lot of traffic on those main roads - you need to break laws and pass a lot of traffic to have much fun up there on pavement. Speed limit in most places here is 45-60 with occasional 35mph advisories.

Also, the southern tip on the Mountain Loop highway portion is where it turns into gravel until Darrington.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing though, 'cause I do have a lot of fun up there:

Pope Mobile posted:

If you have time, head to Granite Falls then hit up Mountain Loop Hwy. It'll connect up to 530 then 20. Alternatively, you can skip Granite Pass and start from 530 in Arlington. If you want to start out on 20 immediately, jump on I5 until Burlington. 20 is an amazing road, but it's only open during the warmer parts of the year.

I usually take 9 up to 530 and then 20 to avoid any en-route gravel drama on Mtn. Loop. Have you explored 20 east of Winthrop? Twisp to Okanogan is fun, and then east of Tonasket between there and Colville is absolutely breathtaking from scenery, road condition, road design, and (lack of) traffic.

http://goo.gl/maps/SVoQy

Some other fun ones (that aren't really part of a quick 40minute loop):

Sultan Basin, deserted, tight, undulating: http://goo.gl/maps/sqcdy
Chumstick Hwy, fast with some tight sections, lots of traffic: http://goo.gl/maps/mCASD
High Bridge deserted during the week during work hours, PACKED weekends: http://goo.gl/maps/q8R9I

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 27, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
This reminds me, I was thinking of doing a PYF roads/corners/meetup spots thread - any interest?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Maybe regional threads? I worry one thread would get unwieldy. On the other hand, I worry too many regions would get unwieldy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe regional threads? I worry one thread would get unwieldy. On the other hand, I worry too many regions would get unwieldy.

Yeah, regions would get too big too quick I think - besides why would you want to miss out on the fun of people arguing over whether the Pacific Coast Highway or the 13 Bends of Death is the superior biking experience?

e: gently caress it, I'll do it, the worst that can happen is it slides gracefully off to the gas chamber like a squid into a lamppost.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I thought about that previously, especially with gopros etc. we'll be able to learn a lot about other roads. Unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to make the thread so I've only done a few small posts of roads I like in the pics/videos or POV cam thread.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

I usually take 9 up to 530 and then 20 to avoid any en-route gravel drama on Mtn. Loop. Have you explored 20 east of Winthrop? Twisp to Okanogan is fun, and then east of Tonasket between there and Colville is absolutely breathtaking from scenery, road condition, road design, and (lack of) traffic.

Unfortunately not. I've only been as far as Ross & Diablo lakes. I've been thinking of getting together for an eastide run with my friends and running via 20 before it closes.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This reminds me, I was thinking of doing a PYF roads/corners/meetup spots thread - any interest?

I like this idea. I think CA is small enough that one thread would work.
Speaking of corners; this is from point C on the route I linked above (linked for huge) :
http://imgur.com/YSnVR

I'd make a gif out of it but no longer have Photoshop.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

Unfortunately not. I've only been as far as Ross & Diablo lakes. I've been thinking of getting together for an eastide run with my friends and running via 20 before it closes.

Doing a loop over North Cascades WA20, US97, and US2 or I90 is a good day's ride. But further east on 20 is well worth the extra miles/day. There are even a couple small breweries for good drinking if staying in town overnight - Republic Brewing in Republic and Northern Ales in Kettle Falls.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

I thought about that previously, especially with gopros etc. we'll be able to learn a lot about other roads. Unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to make the thread so I've only done a few small posts of roads I like in the pics/videos or POV cam thread.

Done - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503807 - but I bailed out on screenshotting the maps and stuff. Weirdly I've not got any photos of them, I never think about that sort of thing before riding and my phone camera is poo poo.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Went to sit on a few more bikes today to help decide what to get next. Tried the Triumph Scrambler at last, seemed really big initially but after sitting on it for a few minutes I got used to it and it felt pretty good. My buddy who I've been visiting all the dealers with said the bike looks absolutely perfect for me. :black101:

Also I had another sit on a Bonneville SE. Bizarrely, last time I absolutely hated it and scratched it off my list but this time it felt amazing. :confused:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Maybe I -will- buy another Kawi... New ZX6R is listed as 129hp / 636ccs.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/2013-kawasaki-ninja-zx-6r-636cc-epa-spreadsheet/

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Maybe I -will- buy another Kawi... New ZX6R is listed as 129hp / 636ccs.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/2013-kawasaki-ninja-zx-6r-636cc-epa-spreadsheet/

Nice. I'm interested in what the body will look like, the old 636s or the current 599 Ninjas.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
ZX10R style :v:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The new 250r.
http://www.gaadi.com/blog/kawasaki-reveals-the-2013-ninja-250r
And a new 300 & 400? WTF
http://www.gaadi.com/blog/kawasaki-ninja-300r-and-400r-to-be-launched-in-2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Glad that after 20 years of barely changing a drat thing they finally blow their entire load at once...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm assuming they won't have all the models on the same markets. Having the 250 and a 300 on the same market seems pretty redundant.

Didn't Japan have a license limit at 400cc? If so that would explain that one at least.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
From what I read elsewhere the 300 will probably replace the 250 in the USA, and we won't get the 400. The 400 (which is a smaller 650, rather than a bigger 250) apparently was on the EPA list for last year, too, and nothing came of it (for the US)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I wish they'd do a 400cc ZX4R that spun to 22,000 RPM and produces like 75-80 HP.

Oh god I want it to be real.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would so buy a 400cc i4. The Bandit 400's that float across craigslist every once in a while tempt me so.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I was super excited about that 400 and then heard it was a sleeved 650, bleah

Wish they'd do a 300RR with nice suspension / brakes

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

I was super excited about that 400 and then heard it was a sleeved 650, bleah

Wish they'd do a 300RR with nice suspension / brakes

Well you never know - the old Ducati 750 engines, which were just sleeved 900s, were a lot better than the idea suggests. The longer (relative) stroke made them pretty torquey for the displacement and the lighter piston made them quite revvy, especially for an undersquare engine.

Going from 600 down to 400 is probably too much though. Those old Japanese 400s were amazing - part of me still wants an RVF400, as ridiculous as i'd look on it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It's more that the appeal of a sub-600 is in the extra light weight since the frame doesn't have to handle as much HP. The Ninja 650 isn't particularly light and sleeving it down won't help; the RVF400 you mention was at least a good 40 pounds lighter.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The local college is back and riding around this week I think I saw more people texting while driving than I have the entire rest of the year. Just kind of careening around while doing it, too; I'll count my stars if I get through the fall without getting T-boned.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Snowdens Secret posted:

The local college is back and riding around this week I think I saw more people texting while driving than I have the entire rest of the year. Just kind of careening around while doing it, too; I'll count my stars if I get through the fall without getting T-boned.

I saw a driver driving very, very, very erratically on the highway here. All over the road. Hitting rumble strips on both sides. Can't maintain speed. Normally, that just means "way too drunk" and I was about to pull over and dial 811 on them. Then I notice the glow. I pull cautiously up behind them, and they've got some form of game device out; approximately PSP form factor, and they're monkeying with that while driving. Well, while siting in the driver's position of a vehicle in motion, since "driving" was probably about third on their priority list.

Downshifted twice, passed at maximum possible safe velocity.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I saw a driver driving very, very, very erratically on the highway here. All over the road. Hitting rumble strips on both sides. Can't maintain speed. Normally, that just means "way too drunk" and I was about to pull over and dial 811 on them. Then I notice the glow. I pull cautiously up behind them, and they've got some form of game device out; approximately PSP form factor, and they're monkeying with that while driving. Well, while siting in the driver's position of a vehicle in motion, since "driving" was probably about third on their priority list.

Downshifted twice, passed at maximum possible safe velocity.

Christ.

I feel like motorcyclists shouldn't have to make excuses or explain themselves when they say they occasionally take a phone call or eat a burger when in the car. You've already proven you can take all sorts of sensory input while working multiple controls at once and (hopefully) keeping a 360 degree area of awareness around you, go ahead and fiddle with the radio. It's the person who's so checked out of life that the most excitement they receive is their fiddling with the tv (and therefor get one for their car), it's the 17 year-old who's eyes are spinning like pinwheels because they're functionally retarded (by virtue of being 17) who need to be forced to keep their full attention on the road.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It could be that people like your driver's seat PSP player are literally so addicted to games that they don't even stop to consider, "this is retarded." I once got myself pretty hardwired into boredom -> phone games that, while driving home one evening, I was in pretty heavy traffic and I stopped at a long light (the type where you could tell you weren't going anywhere for several cycles. Without thinking about it, I picked up my phone from the center console and opened up the applications menu. Only then did my conscious brain kick in and say "no, stop that, that's wrong."

I'm not defending anybody, just positing that people you see texting/gaming/watching TV while driving aren't really even aware of what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/a-tragedy-too-far-for-racer-farquhar-1-4214162

Sad news about his uncle. Sad double loss for roadracing that Ryan has quit due to his death, he was always really entertaining to watch.