Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

jamal posted:

It's the same map for all the different sport settings. The dial only changes the throttle response. For the launch control/ffs there should be some more settings for it to turn it on and change the rpms for it.

Also, did you install the accessport manager? I like to do that, make sure the ap and maps are the latest version, and then take all the maps you won't be using off the AP.

yes, I installed the manager.

I DID unplug it before I started the car so do you suggest I keep it plugged in and play with the settings there?

Honestly, I was just happy that I got it installed and didn't brick the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Flyinglemur posted:

I DID unplug it before I started the car so do you suggest I keep it plugged in and play with the settings there?

Honestly, I was just happy that I got it installed and didn't brick the engine.

Yes. And all the new maps have the LC/FFS options built into them so you just need to alter them with the AP plugged in (and I think the ignition switch to "on").

And cobb has a pdf about it here:
http://www.accessecu.com/support/docs/tutorials/Subaru_LC-FFS_FAQ.pdf

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
You're awesome.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Pulled the trigger on that 2006 Outback XT, picking it up tomorrow.

So what's my first move toward more power, start reading then a down pipe and a tune?

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 27, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The guy at the window tint shop told me that underneath the matte covering around the door window frame is shiny paint the same color as the body. I'm not about to start peeling things off my car to find out, but is what he says true?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yes.

VVV :flashfap:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 27, 2012

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The Focus RS is finally coming to the states with 320hp, hopefully this motivates Subaru to be a bit more competitive again with the STI: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-focus-rs.html

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blargle posted:

The Focus RS is finally coming to the states with 320hp, hopefully this motivates Subaru to be a bit more competitive again with the STI: http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-focus-rs.html

Or point and laugh as the RS scrabbles like a dog on wet tiles.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any reason for this besides styling? Is there a correct term for it? I'm trying to find examples of people who have done it, but can't seem to find any.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

FogHelmut posted:

Any reason for this besides styling? Is there a correct term for it? I'm trying to find examples of people who have done it, but can't seem to find any.

I'm a little confused, are you talking about the matte covering or the paint itself? The former is purely for styling, I guess some people get pissy about seeing metal/paint inside their cars. Lots of cars cover it up with trim or lovely rear end vinyl that peels away after a few years anyway (I'm lookin at you, Toyota). As for why the paint is there at all, they paint the entire door the body color at the factory. Sometimes they dip the whole car in the primer/paint, with doors, hood, and trunk already attached.

e: as an aside, I just started watching Archer the other day; great avatar.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm a little confused, are you talking about the matte covering or the paint itself? The former is purely for styling, I guess some people get pissy about seeing metal/paint inside their cars. Lots of cars cover it up with trim or lovely rear end vinyl that peels away after a few years anyway (I'm lookin at you, Toyota). As for why the paint is there at all, they paint the entire door the body color at the factory. Sometimes they dip the whole car in the primer/paint, with doors, hood, and trunk already attached.

e: as an aside, I just started watching Archer the other day; great avatar.

I mean the matte covering on the outside.

Also there's a pretty active Archer thread in TVIV, someone there made the avatar.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Are there any sporty subaru wheels that come in 17x7? I'm looking for a lighter set than my current ones (~22lb/wheel, I think) and I'm thinking of getting something like this: http://www.machiii.net/index.php/wheels/5zigen-fn01r-c-hot-version.html

However, if there is an OEM wheel that I could get for cheaper that's also lighter (and used), I wouldn't mind dredging craigslist and car forums to find someone selling them.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

FogHelmut posted:

Of course. So you can peel it off when it starts to come apart and mask it off then spraypaint with Rustoleum Hi-Temp BBQ black. Nobody will ever notice. :ssh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

FogHelmut posted:

[TIMG]http://i.imgur.com/7tk5u.jpg[/TIMG
Also there's a pretty active Archer thread in TVIV, someone there made the avatar.

Oh. Yeah, I'm an idiot. I forgot that Subaru stopped doing frameless door glass a few years ago :argh:. I have no idea why they decided the matte covering was better than leaving the paint exposed. Possibly to make the frame less obvious in pictures, making the car look "sleaker" or some such nonsense.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 28, 2012

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

bladesamurai posted:

Are there any sporty subaru wheels that come in 17x7? I'm looking for a lighter set than my current ones (~22lb/wheel, I think) and I'm thinking of getting something like this: http://www.machiii.net/index.php/wheels/5zigen-fn01r-c-hot-version.html

However, if there is an OEM wheel that I could get for cheaper that's also lighter (and used), I wouldn't mind dredging craigslist and car forums to find someone selling them.

The saabaru wheels look good and I think are pretty light. The 05-09 Legacy GT and 06-10 WRX wheels are also 17x7. Not sure how light they are but I got mine for free so I'm using them. The 04 STi wheels are pretty light and 17x7.5.

Is there any reason why you're set on a 7" wheel? If I were actually going to buy something it would be 8" (or wider if I had more fender clearance).

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

jamal posted:

The saabaru wheels look good and I think are pretty light. The 05-09 Legacy GT and 06-10 WRX wheels are also 17x7. Not sure how light they are but I got mine for free so I'm using them. The 04 STi wheels are pretty light and 17x7.5.

Is there any reason why you're set on a 7" wheel? If I were actually going to buy something it would be 8" (or wider if I had more fender clearance).

I'm sticking with 7" because I want to stay in the stock class for autocross. If I went up in width the aftermarket options open up a lot more. Probably also going to go a bit wider on tires, something like 225/45-17 instead of the stock 215.

e: I was thinking of relegating the stock brz wheels to winter wheel duty if I can finder lighter/better-looking wheels for cheap, but if I find a good deal on used wheels I might just get any old set for winter.

bsamu fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 28, 2012

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bladesamurai posted:

I'm sticking with 7" because I want to stay in the stock class for autocross. If I went up in width the aftermarket options open up a lot more. Probably also going to go a bit wider on tires, something like 225/45-17 instead of the stock 215.

e: I was thinking of relegating the stock brz wheels to winter wheel duty if I can finder lighter/better-looking wheels for cheap, but if I find a good deal on used wheels I might just get any old set for winter.

IIRC you can fit 255 rubber on the 2011 WRX rims...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Legacy Gt wheels aren't light (at least compared to my SSRs and RPF-1s), but they do look good.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
04 STI wheels cost about as much as an entire car nowadays. I use the OE 17s or a 17x7 "UK17" that I picked up (and is super light).

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Both of my inner front cv boots are spraying a small amount of grease, the bands appear to be tight and I don't see any rips, can I just replace the bands or do I need to add more grease? I have 79k miles on the car should I just replace the axles?
I also feel a pop when I pull out of my driveway turning either direction at low speed, is that related to the cv joints?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattmofob posted:

Both of my inner front cv boots are spraying a small amount of grease, the bands appear to be tight and I don't see any rips, can I just replace the bands or do I need to add more grease? I have 79k miles on the car should I just replace the axles?
I also feel a pop when I pull out of my driveway turning either direction at low speed, is that related to the cv joints?

A pop? It's usually a "click click click." Get a friend to listen while you drive around in circles in a parking lot.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Amandyke posted:

IIRC you can fit 255 rubber on the 2011 WRX rims...

I was thinking 225 because I'd still be using the tires for daily driving and I like my tires to be responsive. I feel like 255, although having a lot of grip, would be a bit numb and slow to turn in.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Picked up the new car yesterday.

Should of picked up a WRX sooner. The car is seriously addictive and a joy to drive.

Swapping out the engine oil this weekend, everything under the car seems similar to the liberty I had before.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

bladesamurai posted:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findWheelDetail.do?dVeh=dVeh&bp=&tc=MBMWEA&c=1&rcz=78703&yr=2004&pc=53624&wd=17&rw=&vid=008268&rc=TXAINT

Ive had good luck with my MB wheels from Discount Tire. They are rebranded A-tech wheels and are pretty light and also pretty cheap.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
For any Subaru peeps in the Madison / Milwaukee / Chicago area, I'm selling my snow tires: http://madison.craigslist.org/pts/3201309520.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Altimax Arctic with studs is one seriously pimp tire. I bet even without the studs it kicks a mud hole in most "winter tires" until you start paying 2x-3x the price.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
If you were closer to Minneapolis I'd buy those from you.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

FecalFajita posted:

If you were closer to Minneapolis I'd buy those from you.

What up, fellow Minnesotagoon?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

not sure this is the right spot, but I'm interested in an MY05 Impreza, most likely the GX (entry level). Is there anything in particular I should be looking at when I check it out? I'm told they're almost bulletproof mechanically, but I thought I'd ask.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
In a shocking development, I have discovered that the suspension is bent on my RS project car. It looks like both lateral links on the driver's side and the trailing arm.

1) Is it worth it to buy something aftermarket, or should I just grab the links from the 98 parts car?

1a) Will these come of easily, or will I have to burn off the bushings? (which makes it not worth using the parts car?)

2) The Trailing arm just has a slight bump on the bottom. Does it look ok to keep on there?

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
So I'm considering installing sound deadening in the doors and hatch area on a FXT. I'm sure it will quiet down road noise and exhaust drone to some degree, and apparently make my new speakers sound better, but is it worth all the effort? Anyone done it on a Subaru?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There are a few guys locally who have done it to Imprezas of various kinds. I imagine it's somewhat worth it but most of the noise in either of my station wagons is the hatch banging around because I apparently can't figure out how to adjust the strikers.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

daslog posted:

1) Is it worth it to buy something aftermarket, or should I just grab the links from the 98 parts car?

1a) Will these come of easily, or will I have to burn off the bushings? (which makes it not worth using the parts car?)

2) The Trailing arm just has a slight bump on the bottom. Does it look ok to keep on there?

The aftermarket links and arms are pretty expensive. Or at least the ones I'd trust like from whiteline. They will give you more control over the camber and toe if you care. Stock, they use a eccentric bolt in the rear subframe to control the toe.

I don't recall having to burn out bushings when I changed out my rear lateral links. I wonder if I still have the old ones... probably chucked em out already.

http://turninconcepts.com/index.php?cPath=1_9_10_1496_1502_1519

I can't comment on #2.

*Edit - The whiteline rear lateral links are nice though... About $500 though.

Wait, gently caress. There is one goddamn bastard 12" bolt back there.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f9/t60033-lateral-link-bolt-stuck-hell.html

I got lucky and mine was able to be airgunned off. But yes, potentially those bushings and the bolt itself may have to be uh mangled out.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 31, 2012

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I did Whiteline lat links on my '98 LGT which was an Ontario car. They were a bitch, but no burning required.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You might also be able to fit WRX/STI takeoff lateral links onto it. The STI parts should be way stiffer and I've been hunting for a set from a crashed car myself rather than do the bushings.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You might also be able to fit WRX/STI takeoff lateral links onto it. The STI parts should be way stiffer and I've been hunting for a set from a crashed car myself rather than do the bushings.

Check the lengths, I recall stories about the axles popping out. I could be mistaken though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

c355n4 posted:

The aftermarket links and arms are pretty expensive. Or at least the ones I'd trust like from whiteline. They will give you more control over the camber and toe if you care. Stock, they use a eccentric bolt in the rear subframe to control the toe.

I don't recall having to burn out bushings when I changed out my rear lateral links. I wonder if I still have the old ones... probably chucked em out already.

I can't comment on #2.

*Edit - The whiteline rear lateral links are nice though... About $500 though.

Wait, gently caress. There is one goddamn bastard 12" bolt back there.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f9/t60033-lateral-link-bolt-stuck-hell.html

I got lucky and mine was able to be airgunned off. But yes, potentially those bushings and the bolt itself may have to be uh mangled out.

:smithicide:

I ended up burning it out. Any recommendations for bushings?

How horrible is this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Lower-Lateral-Link-4-PCS-1995-2007-Subaru-Impreza-Pillowball-RED-/230844548832?fits=Make:Subaru|Model:Impreza&hash=item35bf6846e0&item=230844548832&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

daslog fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 31, 2012

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

daslog posted:

:smithicide:

I ended up burning it out. Any recommendations for bushings?

How horrible is this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Lower-Lateral-Link-4-PCS-1995-2007-Subaru-Impreza-Pillowball-RED-/230844548832?fits=Make:Subaru|Model:Impreza&hash=item35bf6846e0&item=230844548832&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

TURN IN CONCEPTS

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Does Jamal sell Bushings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

FecalFajita posted:

So I'm considering installing sound deadening in the doors and hatch area on a FXT. I'm sure it will quiet down road noise and exhaust drone to some degree, and apparently make my new speakers sound better, but is it worth all the effort? Anyone done it on a Subaru?

A Lexus is a Camry with more insulation.