Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

Fireworks taped to the rear fender :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It looks like turbo boosters from an 80s sci-fi (I mean that in a good way).

Here's some missile launchers to go with your countermeasures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrEiP8X0AbA

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Pfft, amateurs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPjWrDmsZ0

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Left blinker, fire right missile.. that's counter-intuitive :colbert:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Went by a local shop for some clamps, no dice and had to go to the Harley dealer... they were having some wing-ding or other so I took a walk around.

Only bikes worth looking at (that were NOT chromosexual celebrations of bro-hood):

And this non-sporty had a cool idea for a tank mount

And just because it was a nice bike

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DILLIGAF posted:

And this non-sporty had a cool idea for a tank mount

What's going on here? Is something bailing-wired to the head of that engine?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Safety Dance posted:

What's going on here? Is something bailing-wired to the head of that engine?

Optical illusion.. what you are seeing is the front tank mount tab connected by a heim joint to hard point coming off the bottom of the backbone. I thought it was creative.

Behind it they hung a gremlin bell/charm thing...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ok, I see. Thanks.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Does anyone know anything about this bike? Model, year, etc. I know next to nothing about Harleys.

edited because I'm a big dummy

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 28, 2012

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Does anyone know anything about this bike? Model, year, etc. I know next to nothing about Harleys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_XR-750

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Left blinker, fire right missile.. that's counter-intuitive :colbert:
When it comes to ridiculus movie portrayals of bikes, nothing beats Megaforce. Actually few things beat that movie when it comes to silliness in general.

Flying motorcycles! :science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqCb_9ubQ1U&t=34s

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That's some serious 80's cheese and owns:awesomelon:

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
ducati I saw on CL the other day:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Disappointing, I see keys and no Push-to-start

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

An observer posted:

ducati I saw on CL the other day:

gently caress the haters, that bike looks amazing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

front wing flexing posted:

gently caress the haters, that bike looks amazing.

Are we supposed to hate that? That poo poo is gorgeous. Could use a more legal plate mount, maybe

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is a VFR, right?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saw this during my morning commute.

It's like Harley and BMW had a baby, but BMW drank during pregnancy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A 2003ish R1200CL - review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/69/886/Motorcycle-Article/2003-BMW-R1200CL.aspx

I bet with some newer R1200 pieces, that guy could go.

What they say about feeling ungainly in sub-30mph curves seems pretty common for a large, big-displacement tourer; made more for miles on the highway than canyon carving. My Ulysses could be characterized similarly in this respect - in tight stuff it's a bit of a wrestling match to flick it around with its high CG.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
That's a really ugly bike.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Managed to catch a Manx GP practice session this evening. The first outing I've managed to get with my new camera. Here's a few of my favourites.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Saw this conversion at the Renaissance Festival last weekend.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I can't decide if I love it or hate it. But I really want to ride it.

Oh right this is the pics thread. Here's a VMax with a bunch of R1 parts and custom work on it:

Here's some crazy gauges worked in:

And here's a pretty neat thing to do if you happen to already have fake ram airs strapped to the side of your bike:

And an iron man/halo headlight mod for running lights:

I may have been spending too much time looking at VMax mods...

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 29, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where are people getting these LED headlights? Also, anyone have any idea where to get (I see them mostly on Harleys) the standard round headlight that appears to contain one or more HID projector lenses?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I'm pretty sure those are just running lights and not the full blast headlight. I assumed they added a switch for it... if that's all that headlight does now then that mod is pretty dumb. Kuryakyn is typically to blame for all things odd lighting if you've been seeing a lot of them. I did a google for HID and Kuryakyn and there's a 'how to install HID headlight on your Harley' youtube vid within the first 5 results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojcij-uF5b8

And a DIY for making them dual:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPdvr-nxho8

As long as JCWhitney still mails catalogs you'll see whatever new thing Kuryakyn has cooked up showing up all year, year after year.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
The lights you refer to on Harleys are most likely the LED headlights sold by H-D themselves, made by JW Speaker.

Edit for iPhone fuckery.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 29, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:gay:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I think the scooter is bad enough that it wrapped back around and became funny and acceptable.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
I think it's a very good looking scooter :colbert:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Probably Hates You posted:

I think it's a very good looking scooter :colbert:

2/5, no basket to hold groceries.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The scooter is perfectly fine. I was mostly referring to the leather tassels on said scooter's levers.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

invision posted:

2/5, no basket to hold groceries.

Trunk. 3/5.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I'm in San Francisco for the week and I'm renting a motorcycle :)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
How much does the rental run you, and from where? I've always wanted to rent some bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HNasty posted:

Good choice. I see a lot of Bonnevilles around here; how many of them are rentals, I wonder?

Did you go down Lombard St.?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

How much does the rental run you, and from where? I've always wanted to rent some bikes.

Last time I was in San Jose I rented a 883 Sportster for 3 days over the weekend from the local Harley Davidson dealership. I think most Harley dealerships rent bikes. I just went online and googled bike rentals. I paid for the highest insurance coverage at $30~ a day along with the rental fees, I believe I paid around $250 for once all said and done. I put 600 miles on the bike from the time I picked it up Friday at noon to when I dropped it off Monday morning. It was awesome.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

HNasty posted:

Beautiful bike! I ride a Bonneville myself and would love to know how you found the rental place--I want to rent a Bonneville on my next trip.

If you've got a day to spare, I recommend riding down to San Jose, then getting on Hwy 130 up into the hills. You'll twist and turn up a big mountain until you reach the Lick Observatory with a great view of the south bay. Hwy 130 then twists down the other side of the mountain and after 10-15 miles you'll hit The Junction, a little motorcycle/bicycle restaurant out in the middle of nowhere. If it's not too crowded, they have pretty decent food; if it is crowded, food will take an hour to get out, so just check out the other bikes. Take Mines Road north from there for a nice 30 mile ride (on two- and one-lane roads) into Livermore. If you didn't have lunch at The Junction, stop at First Street Alehouse in Livermore for lunch.

Although it's only a 50-ish mile ride through the hills, it's wild and twisty and awesome.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Screw Lombard, did you jump Taylor street yet?

http://goo.gl/maps/PWHZo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slim Pickens posted:

Screw Lombard, did you jump Taylor street yet?

http://goo.gl/maps/PWHZo

If only he'd rented a DRZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Holy poo poo that road. Are you in SF or Seattle?