Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks! You're right, it does look simple in terms of detail. Too bad there isn't a real battletech line, I know I'd be the first to get a bulky chicken walker. Maybe a full armor gundam can satisfy my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can get large resin ones somewhere, and there are a few decently sized metal models available from RPUK.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
You might also look into Titan models from Warhammer 40k, perhaps. I'm not sure how many out there require assembly/painting/etc but I'm certain there's at least a few high quality ones like that.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everyone post your gunpla backlog.
The winner is actually the loser :(

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Jesus, actually make use of the 1000+ dollars worth of plastic you have there.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I build about 3 a month, I just happen to be buying 6 a month

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sure I win the prize schmuck award here:

This does not even include all the poo poo that's no longer in boxes, or the dozen or so kits I've picked up since this photo was taken.

If someone were to make me a reasonable offer for the whole goddamn thing I wouldn't turn 'em down.

KoB
May 1, 2009
$100

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kitfox88 posted:

You might also look into Titan models from Warhammer 40k, perhaps. I'm not sure how many out there require assembly/painting/etc but I'm certain there's at least a few high quality ones like that.
All of them. They also tend to make Gunpla look cheap.

ETA: heck, they also also make even the shittiest Gunpla look easy to build. I doublt there are any Gunpla that you have to wash, then seal THEN start filling moulding bubbles with before you even think about starting to paint, and the shatter-effect if a bit falls.... oh dear.

Bimmi posted:

This does not even include all the poo poo that's no longer in boxes, or the dozen or so kits I've picked up since this photo was taken.

If someone were to make me a reasonable offer for the whole goddamn thing I wouldn't turn 'em down.
If I had space I'd be highly tempted to throw money at you for the Valkyries. Go to a con perhaps?

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 27, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Fauxtool posted:

I build about 3 a month, I just happen to be buying 6 a month

gotta love gunpla math :allears:

I have a backlog of 4 kits - SD King J-der, SD Gernsback, MG Wing Gundam Zero ver Ka, and MG Sword Impulse

Blitz will be added to the lag queue once I get some money burning in my pocket, heh

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Arquinsiel posted:

If I had space I'd be highly tempted to throw money at you for the Valkyries. Go to a con perhaps?

I've done the con route before. I'd rather saw my own leg off than do it again.

The Valks will be going on eBay (again) eventually, though they never seem to generate any interest.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

that is pretty awesome. I would store mine in my closest but I need the constant reminder to build before it gets truly out of hand.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I'm glad I have a relatively small and manageable backlog.

The problem is working up the motivation and energy to actually assemble and paint them. The last few kits I bought I ended up just assembling them out of the box and sticking them on a shelf, not even bothering with top coat or panel lining. These kits I actually want to work on and paint.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I miss the days when I had, like, ten kits and felt that was too many.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

I miss the days when I had, like, ten kits and felt that was too many.

have you ever tried to value your collection using current ebay/amazon pricing?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Fauxtool posted:

have you ever tried to value your collection using current ebay/amazon pricing?

Not in any terribly organized fashion. That closet is much more crowded with poo poo in reality and not a thing I enjoy dealing with very much.

Problem is, a lot of my collection is snapped out or otherwise partially hosed with and thus worth next to no money, while most of the boxed kits are older stuff that no one wants. I've sold most of the desirable bits already.

The sheer number of 90s-vintage BB-Senshi I own could probably rival any backlog here, and I literally can't give those fuckers away. I know because I've tried.

I'm probably stuck with it, but it's my fault for not picking a normal goddamned hobby.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So apparently they're making a Zaku II 2.0 in Black Tri Stars colors, which is great (it's pretty much the only reason I have to get a Zaku II 2.0 at this point), but considering the talk on the last page, they really need to get down to making 2.0 kits of some of the older, lovely MGs that weren't designed right. A new, better Sazabi, Wing Zero, F91, and so on would be great. I'd personally shell out mega bucks for a (Rick) Dom 2.0.

C'mon Bandai.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

S-Alpha posted:

So apparently they're making a Zaku II 2.0 in Black Tri Stars colors, which is great (it's pretty much the only reason I have to get a Zaku II 2.0 at this point), but considering the talk on the last page, they really need to get down to making 2.0 kits of some of the older, lovely MGs that weren't designed right. A new, better Sazabi, Wing Zero, F91, and so on would be great. I'd personally shell out mega bucks for a (Rick) Dom 2.0.

C'mon Bandai.

I can't see Bandai making a new Nu Gundam and NOT making a new Sazabi to go with him. Wing Zero is LOOONG overdue for a MG, especially after the cocktease of making the anime Wing Gundam and not properly following it up. I know it's been said it's still a solid kit, but I would still like a God Gundam 2.0 that can really take advantage of the advances in inner frame articulation.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The MG F91 was heartbreaking because they are never, ever going to do another one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Speaking of Seabrook Arno suits, is the Crossbone X1 known to have really loose joints? I can't put him in any sort of pose cause his knees can't support the weight of the kit when they are bent, not to mention that his elbows keep falling off at the rotation joint.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

TaurusOxford posted:

Speaking of Seabrook Arno suits, is the Crossbone X1 known to have really loose joints? I can't put him in any sort of pose cause his knees can't support the weight of the kit when they are bent, not to mention that his elbows keep falling off at the rotation joint.

I believe it's built on the same frame as the F91, which definitely wasn't designed to support the weight of all the extra poo poo on the X1, and the elbow issue sounds identical to the F91.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

S-Alpha posted:

C'mon Bandai.

I get the feeling that out of the 1.0 Zeon suits, the Dom was the best of the bunch. Outdated as hell now, but it was still a fun rear end build. It's a really early kit for having a mostly internal skeleton, and posable fingers... And serious, get a Zaku 2.0 if you build and don't have one what is wrong with you.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've come to realize how spoiled I am with the new kits, because whenever I build a post 2008 Mg I get pissed off if I have to fill a seam line.

I'm looking at you mg epyon and deathscythe hell.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Screw it, I superglued the elbows and superglued the sword into his hand cause the pegs are completely useless. Also, I hate the cape they give you so I made my own:

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012
Alright, that's a pretty baller cape. Looks better than the grey it usually has.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Whirblewind posted:

Alright, that's a pretty baller cape. Looks better than the grey it usually has.

Thanks. I was trying to make it look like the Full Cloth metal cape. I was going to do the whole Batman thing that the manual wants you to do for the included cape but I thought it would look more natural leaving it as is.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Hrm... if you can make a second version, make you can rip some holes into it, drag it into some dirt, get some dust, give it some wear. Would look awesome.

Speaking of customs, this dude made his own Virgo from Gundam Wing. It looks pretty great all things considered :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7xUn33uOw

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I never thought to dirty up the cape. I'll give that a try with the current one.

As for that video, I got a lot of respect for Vegeta8259. His OZ project is one big gently caress you to Bandai for never making model kits of Wing grunts.

Edit: Dirt get.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 29, 2012

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrm... if you can make a second version, make you can rip some holes into it, drag it into some dirt, get some dust, give it some wear. Would look awesome.

Speaking of customs, this dude made his own Virgo from Gundam Wing. It looks pretty great all things considered :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7xUn33uOw

Whoa awesome! He should enter this years Gunpla Builders World cup. The main prize is pretty sweet; you get to go to Japan for the finals.

http://www.bluefincorp.com/catalog/bandai-gunpla-model-kit-world-cup-2012-us-championship

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

As long as I exist you can feel better about yourself. I bought out a couple of people who were moving away and gave me a deal, added to my own substantial holdings I have in excess of 200 kits, most of which are untouched in the box:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Stupid question, but do any of you gunpla hoarders ever consider selling some of your unbuilt kits?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Well obviously he can't get rid of them, otherwise he will have to face his secondary hoarding item - giant plastic bins :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well obviously he can't get rid of them, otherwise he will have to face his secondary hoarding item - giant plastic bins :v:

I don't see why he can't. Hell, i'd buy some if it meant I could avoid those retards on ebay who charge more for shipping than the actual model.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
That unbuilt Dendrobium is a goddamn shame.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I should explain that shameful room.

I built plastic models from elementary through high school, though I had to stop in college due to lack of space and time to work on them. Once I got out and started working, I kind of ignored it till I was stuck in Narita airport for a few hours and visited one of the toy stores, where I saw that the state of the art in plastic robot models had advanced quite a bit in the eight years I'd ignored it. I picked one up (HG Strike Noir) and well you can see how that turned out.

It doesn't help that my philosophy on things like this is "if you want it, buy it when you see it because you may never encounter it again" though these things rarely leave production entirely so I kind of need to quit doing that.

My buyout of 2 friends moving away coincided with a ridiculous uptick in my travel rate and number of 50+ hour work weeks - I've spent over a third of the last year away from my house, usually 2-3 days at a time, which has made it really hard to get the focus I need to get one done. When I'm actually home I can turn out about one every 4 days.

Unfortunately, all my time away from the hobby this means I've had to relearn a lot of what I forgot, as well as develop some new skills (never used an airbrush until about a year ago) and I'm hesitant to mess up expensive kits so I've been working on smaller ones until I feel I'm ready to do the big ones (HG Dendrobium!) justice. I'm also kind of a perfectionist, which I'm slowly getting away from, so I've been really slow getting them painted.

TaurusOxford posted:

Stupid question, but do any of you gunpla hoarders ever consider selling some of your unbuilt kits?

I've sold some to people who wanted a particular kit NOW when I know I won't get to it for a while. In addition to that I've straight up given away a dozen or so HGs and SDs to people who wanted to build something but weren't sure/didn't have a lot of spare cash.

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't see why he can't. Hell, i'd buy some if it meant I could avoid those retards on ebay who charge more for shipping than the actual model.

Is there something you really want? PM me.

Silentman0 posted:

That unbuilt Dendrobium is a goddamn shame.

Ironically enough I bought that from someone on this very board a while back. If I were to build it today it really would be a shame; I'm holding back on it till I can give it the treatment it deserves.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TaurusOxford posted:

This is literally the worst thing about so many hobbies.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

Is there something you really want? PM me.

I PM'ed you to help you get over your shameful hoarding problem.

Do you collect anything else like figmas/revoltechs/HMM zoids?

Whirblewind
Aug 10, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

This is literally the worst thing about so many hobbies.

I lose $60-$120 in shipping every month to Amiami.

The cost of shipping blows my god damned mind.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whirblewind posted:

I lose $60-$120 in shipping every month to Amiami.

The cost of shipping blows my god damned mind.

They seem to charge me about +25% of my total order for shipping. That's for EMS shipping. I wonder what the size/weight threshold for SAL unregistered is because im sure it would cost less to break up my shipments into a bunch of little ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Midjack posted:

As long as I exist you can feel better about yourself. I bought out a couple of people who were moving away and gave me a deal, added to my own substantial holdings I have in excess of 200 kits, most of which are untouched in the box:

Good job, excellent even, but mine's been much worse - over 1,000 when I stopped counting 20 years ago, though there has been some brutal attrition since then and many new units too.

Took up almost 400 square feet of wall space the last time it was intact and organized. A beautiful sight if there ever was one! Most of it is gone now, and good riddance to (most of) that, but I've still got way too much of it crowding my space these days.

Model kits are a highly addictive substance. One can only theorize as to why, but it is truth. I used to get an honest-to-god rush from every new box (or basket full of them) that I opened. Not so much that way anymore thankfully, though I do have a handful of semi-fresh boxes floating around (Aunty Em? Epyon?)

• Locked thread