Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

To Clumsy's question regarding Jeremy Renner and "where he came from": if you're serious and looking for perspectives, I'd wager that Renner has blown up substantially (no pun intended) after his star turn in The Hurt Locker, especially since he got a Best Actor nomination for that and the film (deservedly or no) cleaned up the major awards at the Oscars. I still think it's interesting that they don't do the trend of prefacing his name with his "Oscar nominated" status, but I guess that doesn't count for films like Avengers and M:I-4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Expendables: We take our teal and orange very seriously. Check out all three pictures in the review. Blue-ish background, a guy in black, his slightly orange-tinted face.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The biggest problem with The Expendables is that Sylvester Stallone is harder to understand than Dark Knight Rises Bane. They even do a joke about how so much of the cast is not American, and Stallone is by far the hardest man to understand.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I really enjoy the mental image of Tim Burton criticizing every other stop motion movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Expendables: We take our teal and orange very seriously. Check out all three pictures in the review. Blue-ish background, a guy in black, his slightly orange-tinted face.

Fun Fact: There are two main color temperatures for film lighting (and most lighting in general) 3200 Kelvin and 5600 Kelvin. 3200 K is an Orange color, 5600 K is Blue. In film they are often mixed, hence "teal and orange"

So, get used to teal and orange, folks, because it ain't new and it ain't going nowhere.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm so cool that I only light films at 0 kelvin.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's basic color theory for you.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Fun Fact: There are two main color temperatures for film lighting (and most lighting in general) 3200 Kelvin and 5600 Kelvin. 3200 K is an Orange color, 5600 K is Blue. In film they are often mixed, hence "teal and orange"

So, get used to teal and orange, folks, because it ain't new and it ain't going nowhere.
I knew that blue and orange didn't go together when I was 4 years old and experimenting with crayons. Even at that age I was smarter than today's Hollywood.

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.

Y-Hat posted:

I knew that blue and orange didn't go together when I was 4 years old and experimenting with crayons. Even at that age I was smarter than today's Hollywood.

I'm pretty sure people complain about blue and orange in movies because they think they are overused, not because they don't go together.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Y-Hat posted:

Someone is not a Denver Broncos fan.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Props for the 10/10 for Michael Shannon in the Premium Rush review, that guy is one of the best actors working today.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Props for the 10/10 for Michael Shannon in the Premium Rush review, that guy is one of the best actors working today.
Indeed, he is. I wonder what Killer Joe would be like with him in the title role.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Will we get a review of 2016? I have no real interest in the film beyond hearing how you all approach it.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

N. Senada posted:

Will we get a review of 2016? I have no real interest in the film beyond hearing how you all approach it.
I thought about offering to review it, but then I realize I'd die of an aneurysm.

I'm not ready to be dead.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Shows where your priorities are - in the gutter!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

jeremy oval office posted:

I thought about offering to review it, but then I realize I'd die of an aneurysm.

I'm not ready to be dead.

Post a review of 2016, but of this movie instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ

Insert joke about black people all looking alike here.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Why do you hate me?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The MSJ posted:

Post a review of 2016, but of this movie instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ

Insert joke about black people all looking alike here.

I don't think I have ever clicked the "X" button on a youtube link so quickly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jeremy oval office posted:

Indeed, he is. I wonder what Killer Joe would be like with him in the title role.

I hope he does another Friedkin film, he was so good in Bug.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hope he does another Friedkin film, he was so good in Bug.
Agreed. And I didn't realize until after the fact that, having seen Killer Joe and Premium Rush, my movie-watching habits form strange connections.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vargo posted:

I don't think I have ever clicked the "X" button on a youtube link so quickly.

What are you talking about? That looks amazing, and I hope to god that they have the guy yelling "twa-twa-2016" throughout the whole thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I watch Nigerian action movies and this looks like a step beyond their legendary production quality. I have to see this.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Wait, how do you end up with daylight and tungsten BOTH showing up as non-white in a shot? The point is that CTO (color temperature Orange) and CTB (Color temperature Blue) are white balance temperatures, so at least one of them is going to be pure white with traditional stock or white balance settings. 32 has chroma on 56 stock and vice versa, but you wouldn't get both that way.

I don't think that's the reason for that prominence, I think it's just a marketing decision of the last 20 years.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Now that Oprah has gotten all over the Beasts of the Southern Wild every middle aged woman is going to wet their panties over it. I'm glad for the film maker because the exposure will allow him to do more but the whole Oprah-fest bit is hard to watch.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I see none of you have yet bitten the bullet on The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Shrewd.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

General Ironicus posted:

I see none of you have yet bitten the bullet on The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Shrewd.

To be totally honest, it wasn't intentional. I think I was moving to Philadelphia that weekend and we all just kinda forgot that movie existed. I literally had until you mentioned it just now.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I keep mentioning it to Ian ("Here's what I've got this week..."), and he keeps on ignoring it.

It's probably for the best.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/cold-light-day.php?page=1

Also since Vargo asked, Richard Gere stopped being famous after a rumor that he shoved a hamster into his butt circulated widely.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Psalmanazar posted:

Also since Vargo asked, Richard Gere stopped being famous after a rumor that he shoved a hamster into his butt circulated widely.

You'd think that'd make him more famous.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Professor Clumsy posted:

You'd think that'd make him more famous.
Only in England, where they see news like that and say, "Awww ... celebrities ... they're just like us!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Psalmanazar posted:

Nah, that happened at or shortly after the peak of his fame. I'm pretty sure he went off the fame cliff at the tail end of the '90s with that movie about lawyers in China or whatever. After that he met the Mothman and the only lingering thoughts of him in the public psyche were gerbils/hamsters and Buddhism.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
He was in that awful Brooklyn's Finest movie that came out last year. I only remember it because I had to review it.

Gere's gone from A-list Leading Man to Regular Working Actor fairly quietly.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The Comedy starring Tim Heidecker is coming out this October. Is it likely that it will get reviewed?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

N. Senada posted:

The Comedy starring Tim Heidecker is coming out this October. Is it likely that it will get reviewed?

I've been itching to see The Comedy for a while now. If it gets a wide enough release, I'll be there.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
From the director's twitter feed: The Comedy in theaters November!(LA,NYC,Seattle,Pheonix,San Fran,Denver,Austin,Bloomington IN) cable VOD/iTunes OCT 24!

Count 'em: not one, but two exclamation points. Most exciting movie of the year? You tell me!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
iTunes it is, I guess. I am not driving to Bloomington.

Though I imagine it'll trickle into a wider release later on.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
If it makes it to Cincinnati, I'm willing to drive the hour for it.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Greensboro is usually pretty good about getting limited releases; we're just sometimes a week or two behind the rest of the world.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I used to have to wait a while for limited releases, but now that I live in Philadelphia, it's less of an issue. Except apparently for The Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Jay Dub posted:

iTunes it is, I guess. I am not driving to Bloomington.

You should because Bloomington is great.

(I feel obligated to sell the city as a current IU student.)

• Locked thread