Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Poutling posted:

Your partner is in luck, because that's the big thing right now. Seriously, a lot of urban fantasy suits exactly what your partner is looking for, and most of it is nowhere near as terrible as the last few Laurell K Hamilton books.

Some good ones are:

Kim Harrison - The Hollows series (starts with Dead Witch Walking)
Patricia Briggs - Mercedes Thompson series (starts with Moon Called)
Gail Carriger - The Parasol Protectorate Series (starts with Soulless) - this one is particularly good and fun

As the poster above me mentioned, there are also a lot of YA novels like Hunger Games that have strong female protagonists. One of the latest I read that I really enjoyed was Blood Red Road by Moira Young.

Might be able to add these to your list:

Kat Richardson - Greywalker series (starts with Greywalker)
Tanya Huff - Torin Kerr series (starts with Valor's Choice. Military scifi series)
Carrie Vaughn - Kitty Norville series (starts with Kitty And The The Midnight Hour)
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn series (starts with The Final Empire)
David Weber - Honor Harrington series (starts with On Basilisk Station. Military scifi)
Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse series (starts with Dead Until Dawn. This is the True Blood series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paxicon
Dec 22, 2007
Sycophant, unless you don't want me to be
Thanks for the recommendation of The Demolished Man, absolutely loved it. I'd be really interested in "Sci-Fi crime", wether murder-mysteries alá demolished man or other sorts of crimes and heists... with lasers! :science:

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Captain_Indigo posted:

My partner has recently got into reading for fun in a big way. She is, self-admittedly, not particularly well read in terms of the classics, but she is a capable reader and enjoys the same things that most people do - good plot, interesting setting, clippy dialogue, rich characterisation etc.

She is looking particularly for books which feature sassy female protagonists. She greatly enjoyed the early Laurel K. Hamilton Anita novels, devoured The Hunger Games, and has just finished the latest Stephanie Plum book. She likes plucky, capable female protagonists and doesn't mind romantic or sexual subplots, but is not looking for anything where that is the sole focus of the novel (which is how she feels the latest Anita Blake novels have become). Any ideas - individual books are great, but a series or trilogy would be a bonus.

Thanks.

More urban fantrasy:

Richelle Mead - Georgina Kincaid series (there's some sex scenes and the romance features quite a bit, but no where as excessive as the Anita Blake books.)
Seanan McGuire - October Daye series

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Paxicon posted:

Thanks for the recommendation of The Demolished Man, absolutely loved it. I'd be really interested in "Sci-Fi crime", wether murder-mysteries alá demolished man or other sorts of crimes and heists... with lasers! :science:

Nora Roberts/J. D. Robb - In Death series (starts with Naked In Death)
Richard K. Morgan - Takeshi Kovacs series (starts with Altered Carbon)

Those are all I can really think of. I'd also be interested in more along those lines, especially the Kovacs series.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Just finished World War Z and I really enjoyed it, although I found the interview style to be a bit "meh" at times. Are there any other good zombie novels out now that take a different perspective? Bonus points if it's available on Kindle.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paxicon posted:

Isaac Asimov's The Caves Of Steel and The Naked Sun are murder mysteries... with robots! :science: He also did a short story collection called (rather prosaically) Asimov's Mysteries, which are mostly murder or heist tales with sci-fi twists.

Some of the science is dated, but they're all fun reads.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

SunknLiner posted:

Just finished World War Z and I really enjoyed it, although I found the interview style to be a bit "meh" at times. Are there any other good zombie novels out now that take a different perspective? Bonus points if it's available on Kindle.

From about 4 pages back:

Sophie Littlefield - Aftertime Trilogy
Colin Whitehead - Zone One - if Bret Easton Ellis wrote a zombie novel
Alden Bell - The Reapers are the Angels - this one is excellent as well
Jonathan Maberry - Rot & Ruin, and Dust & Decay
Peter Clines - Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots - superheroes rebuilding in a post apocalyptic zombie world
Justin Cronin - The Passage - a little bit zombie, a little bit vampire. Sprawling epic of a novel. Sequel comes out next month.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Poutling posted:

From about 4 pages back:

Sophie Littlefield - Aftertime Trilogy
Colin Whitehead - Zone One - if Bret Easton Ellis wrote a zombie novel
Alden Bell - The Reapers are the Angels - this one is excellent as well
Jonathan Maberry - Rot & Ruin, and Dust & Decay
Peter Clines - Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots - superheroes rebuilding in a post apocalyptic zombie world
Justin Cronin - The Passage - a little bit zombie, a little bit vampire. Sprawling epic of a novel. Sequel comes out next month.
Sorry, I guess I missed this. Thanks for the listing them again for me.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Brains: A Zombie Memoir by Robin Becker

Written from the point of view of a zombie. It's pretty funny, not to mention different.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

SunknLiner posted:

Sorry, I guess I missed this. Thanks for the listing them again for me.

No worries. Just thought of another one. Raising Stony Mayhall, by Daryl Gregory. Haven't read it yet but have heard good things about it.

Here's the synopsis:

In 1968, after the first zombie outbreak, Wanda Mayhall and her three young daughters discover the body of a teenage mother during a snowstorm. Wrapped in the woman’s arms is a baby, stone-cold, not breathing, and without a pulse. But then his eyes open and look up at Wanda — and he begins to move.

The family hides the child — whom they name Stony — rather than turn him over to authorities that would destroy him. Against all scientific reason, the undead boy begins to grow. For years his adoptive mother and sisters manage to keep his existence a secret — until one terrifying night when Stony is forced to run and he learns that he is not the only living dead boy left in the world.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

SunknLiner posted:

Newsflesh Trilogy, by Mira Grant. It's examines a zombie uprising through the prism of traditional journalism and media as well as internet journalism. I think the first book was the best of the bunch, but the other two were still alright.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL
I've, for some reason, been a big fan of the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques. Something about the setting and story over all threw me into a great place. It's been a bit difficult to find anything that really lets me in the way redwall series has. I think I like the easy to follow political views, conflicts and resolutions. It had enough of a 'fantasy' feel to make it enjoyable for me as well.

If anyone knows of a book, or series, similiar to this I'd be quite a happy camper.

Cuhullin
Feb 12, 2012
I'm looking for fiction that uses oral history/interview as a narrative style. Obviously World War Z and The Navidson Record are prime examples, but probably something closer to Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. I enjoyed Wigfield by Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello, and Stephen Colbert as well, but for different reasons. I'm open to other suggestions using atypical narrative formats.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
You might enjoy Finnegan's Wake, it's known for it's unconventional narrative format!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

AwesomePossum posted:

Royal Navy - Napoleonic Wars fiction, and anything similar?

I'm a huge Aubrey/Maturin fan, also read the Lord Ramage series through multiple times. I've read some Horatio, but I always end up with bad quality ebook files.

Anyways, any other series, or standalone recommendations would be welcome, it is one of my favorite genres.

Try Mr. Midshipman Easy by Marryat. Marryat actually served with Lord Cochrane, and his books a lot of fun. For more adventure from that era, I recommend The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal, one of my favorite books; finally, for a brilliant, post-modern re-imagining, check out Mason and Dixon by the incomparable Pynchon.

You might also want to give Cornwell's Sharpe series a try, they tend to be well done.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Between 'real' books, I like to read action filled fantasy and sci-fi romps that don't take a whole lot of grey matter to enjoy. I'm currently reading through my first Warhammer universe book (Brunner) and it fits the bill perfectly.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some books or authors in the Warhammer 40k universe, as could see a lot of fun coming from space orcs v. space marines v. space zombies.

Thanks!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Are there any good books similar to the movie Groundhog Day, by chance? I've got a weird thing for time loops.

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

Bummey posted:

Are there any good books similar to the movie Groundhog Day, by chance? I've got a weird thing for time loops.

Replay by Ken Grimwood is a very good "time loop" novel, don't want to say too much about the plot as you are better served going in cold.

Also, while not time loopy, a good time travel book to try is The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman about a time machine that behaves unusually.

masada00
Mar 21, 2009
I'm looking for books by modern Conservatives and Liberals explaining their views and beliefs. I'm not looking for something that tries to give a balanced view of both sides, but I would like something that is factual and doesn't revert to fallacies to support a point. I tried finding some on my own but ending up reading Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto by Mark R. Levin, which was horrid.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Bummey posted:

Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger maybe?

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 26, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Bummey posted:

Two good short stories for you: Jameson's Double and Redoubled and Pohl's The Tunnel Under the World. Got a feeling there are a few PKD stories that would work, but can't pull 'em. Yu's How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe gets into some similar territory, but the whole story isn't as Groundhog Day-like.

My Bag
Aug 28, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Could someone recommend me some books? I've been running out of new reading material lately.

Genre doesn't particularly matter. The main things I'm looking for are memorable characters, humor, creative use of language, or writing that's evocative without being purple prose. I also like books that have a puzzle to solve, like murder mysteries.

There are also a few things I'm NOT looking for that should narrow it down. Nothing with graphic rape or torture, other vivid trauma, or sadistically-described deaths.

I'd also prefer to avoid books that express a philosophy. I'm fine with books that discuss several philosophies, through characters or otherwise, but when there's just one that colors the whole work it gets boring and oppressive. I might be wrong about this, and if there's a really good philosophical book that covers everything in the second paragraph, then go ahead and tell me.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

My Bag posted:

Could someone recommend me some books? I've been running out of new reading material lately.

Genre doesn't particularly matter. The main things I'm looking for are memorable characters, humor, creative use of language, or writing that's evocative without being purple prose. I also like books that have a puzzle to solve, like murder mysteries.

Ever read anything by Raymond Chandler? Philip Marlowe is memorable, funny and solves mysteries. The Big Sleep is a great place to start, but Farewell, My Lovely is good too.

My Bag
Aug 28, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

barkingclam posted:

Ever read anything by Raymond Chandler? Philip Marlowe is memorable, funny and solves mysteries. The Big Sleep is a great place to start, but Farewell, My Lovely is good too.

Nope, but I'll look into those. Thanks!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My Bag posted:

For puzzles there's Le Carre's spy novels. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the obvious one, but he wrote heaps of them.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

My Bag posted:

The Art of Racing in the Rain is an easy read, is pretty funny, and is an overall great book. In fact, I'd recommend it to anyone.

flymonkey
Feb 7, 2012
Can someone recommend me a 'dreamlike' story, something along the lines of The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro or various stories by Italo Calvino?

TFNC
May 8, 2007

^^^^Capitalism^^^^

flymonkey posted:

Can someone recommend me a 'dreamlike' story, something along the lines of The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro or various stories by Italo Calvino?

Finnegan's Wake, do it.

EDIT: Really, though, you might try Borges' Fictions if you haven't already dipped into his work. Borges owns.

TFNC fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 28, 2012

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

TFNC posted:

Finnegan's Wake, do it.

EDIT: Really, though, you might try Borges' Fictions if you haven't already dipped into his work. Borges owns.

I agree with the Borges recommendation. You might also like to try some of the magic realists like Gabriel Garcia Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude is quite good. Milorad Pavic is another experimental author a la Italo Calvino. Landscape Painted with Tea might be up your alley.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

My Bag posted:

There are also a few things I'm NOT looking for that should narrow it down. Nothing with graphic rape or torture, other vivid trauma, or sadistically-described deaths.

I'd also prefer to avoid books that express a philosophy. I'm fine with books that discuss several philosophies, through characters or otherwise, but when there's just one that colors the whole work it gets boring and oppressive. I might be wrong about this, and if there's a really good philosophical book that covers everything in the second paragraph, then go ahead and tell me.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but it sounds like you should read Pale Fire by Nabokov.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Paxicon posted:

If you don't mind a far future, neologism-heavy setting then The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi might do the trick.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The Quantum Thief was pretty awesome. A lot of great concepts, like the q-dots and gevulot. Really, it would of been better if it had a better second half. It was WAY too rushed. The last fiftyish pages, it was almost impossible to understand what was happening. That said, at the end of the day, it was Lupin III in space, so if that sounds cool, at the least read it, and if you like it, get the new book coming out in a month.

Anyway, can anyone suggest some books with good, bad-rear end, characters? Either fantasy or sci-fi. Also, preferably a cool, creatively-used magic system if it's fantasy.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 29, 2012

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Anyway, can anyone suggest some books with good, bad-rear end, characters? Either fantasy or sci-fi. Also, preferably a cool, creatively-used magic system if it's fantasy.
SF: I guess it depends on what you consider "bad-rear end" but by my definition Miles from Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series qualifies. I say start with Warrior's Apprentice but many will say to go with Shards of Honor.
Fantasy: Heroes Die by Matthew Stover. Arguably this one is actually SF but...well, it's complicated. Definitely bad-rear end, though.

Those are popular around here (especially the Vorkosigan books) so you might have read them already, but if so I might be able to come up with something more obscure.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Can someone reccomend me some funny/satirical novels? My favorite book is Catch-22 if that helps.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

littleorv posted:

Can someone reccomend me some funny/satirical novels? My favorite book is Catch-22 if that helps.

The Good Soldier Švejk was Heller's inspiration for Catch-22. Even though it's unfinished, what's there is damned funny and worth reading.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If you haven't read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester, Gully Foyle is the ultimate badass, and the sci-fi is pretty out there.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

littleorv posted:

Not so much novels but Spike Milligan's books about his time in WW2 are funny - start with Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If you haven't read the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, you should. First book is Nine Princes in Amber, but you should probably just look for the collection.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Book-Amber-Chronicles/dp/0380809060/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346247445&sr=8-1&keywords=zelazny+amber

NB: The Amber books by Betancourt are bad; don't read them.

Further recommendation would be practically anything else by Zelazny, such as Lord of Light, Jack of Shadows, or My Name is Legion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

littleorv posted:

Try almost anything by Kurt Vonnegut (start with Slaughterhouse Five).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

littleorv posted:

Celine's Journey to the End of Night is another war viewed by the soldier as a personal conspiracy to murder him. It supplants Heller's logic games with sheer anger though. Personally I didn't get on with it, but maybe you will.
As for general Satirical novels, I still find Evelyn Waugh funny. Vile Bodies or Decline and Fall are straight comedies, with a Handful of Dust being more serious but very, very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

littleorv posted:

Have you read Timothy Findley? I recommend Not Wanted on the Voyage. Subtle and scathing humour.