Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I've been looking around for a few days now, and i can't seem to find any classic gaming emulators for the ATV2. Do they not exist? I found a lot of information that seemed to be ATV1 specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Is there a good Windows solution for batch-adding iTunes metadata to my movie collection? Jailbreaking is dumb but I would like to keep my media files, just add them to my itunes library

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I was going to buy an airport express to drive a speaker bar in my bedroom, then I realized I will never need USB or Ethernet jacks in my bedroom, but one day I might put a TV in there (unlikely, but more likely than a printer or something that needs wired Ethernet) so I bought another apple TV3. Same $99 price. Hooked it up to the TV to set up the wifi and software update, moved it into the bedroom, hooked up the optical link to my little soundbar/woofer at the bed headboard, and put it under the bed. Works great.

jdiboise
Jul 26, 2012
I have a bunch of content organized into folders on a NAS. Do I still have to put it all into iTunes and keep it organized in iTunes for an Apple TV to work, or can an Apple TV index files on my NAS?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

jdiboise posted:

I have a bunch of content organized into folders on a NAS. Do I still have to put it all into iTunes and keep it organized in iTunes for an Apple TV to work, or can an Apple TV index files on my NAS?

Gotta run it through iTunes if you want it showing up under the My Computers section.

Unless you want to JB and install Plex.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Blackula69 posted:

Is there a good Windows solution for batch-adding iTunes metadata to my movie collection? Jailbreaking is dumb but I would like to keep my media files, just add them to my itunes library

I never found anything after looking for drat near a month. In fact the only Windows based MP4 tagger I found that worked worth a drat is Meta-X from Dan Hinsley. I paid 10 bucks for a copy and it was totally worth it. http://www.danhinsley.com/

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jdiboise posted:

Apple TV can't directly access your NAS unless it has iTunes server built in. But if you have a PC running iTunes you can make iTunes look at a symlink to your NAS, which is what I do and it works well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

I never found anything after looking for drat near a month. In fact the only Windows based MP4 tagger I found that worked worth a drat is Meta-X from Dan Hinsley. I paid 10 bucks for a copy and it was totally worth it. http://www.danhinsley.com/

I'll second this recommendation for a tagging-only solution.

Since then, I've discovered MkvtoMP4 which adds all the metadata as you convert files into an iTunes compatible format. Works really well even with TV Shows (sometime Meta-X is less than great at).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently there is supposed to be a new iTunes Festival app? Show up for anyone yet?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Apparently there is supposed to be a new iTunes Festival app? Show up for anyone yet?

Haven't checked mine yet since I'm at work but sometimes you need to restart for these things to show up.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

smackfu posted:

I've had it on my AppleTV 2 since yesterday.

Dr. McReallysweet
Sep 12, 2006

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I'm disappointed that my 2010 mbp cant airplay to my atv and would like a solution. I was lurking the hackintosh thread and they say if you spoof a few things you can get it working but I'm not sure you can actually spoof anything on an actual mac. Also if I have to, I'll settle for 3rd party. Is airparrot any good?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dr. McReallysweet posted:

I'm disappointed that my 2010 mbp cant airplay to my atv and would like a solution. I was lurking the hackintosh thread and they say if you spoof a few things you can get it working but I'm not sure you can actually spoof anything on an actual mac. Also if I have to, I'll settle for 3rd party. Is airparrot any good?

Since it's a laptop, have you looking into an HDMI out adapter? It's not the most elegant solution, but they're cheap and will probably perform better than a software based solution.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tried out airplay on the Apple TV3 yesterday and it worked out great on the iPad2, even let me do mirroring and all which was pretty cool if not that useful.

I have VLC on my iPad (not jailbroken, downloaded from when it was still on the app store and transferred over) and it has the option to airplay but it just doesn't. I figured since it's off the app store this is probably in some way intentional but is there a way to make it work?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think that was pulled before AirPlay was an official thing for third party apps, so that might explain it not working. Mirroring might work (won't be full screen on widescreen though), otherwise other video player apps support it properly I think.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

japtor posted:

I think that was pulled before AirPlay was an official thing for third party apps, so that might explain it not working. Mirroring might work (won't be full screen on widescreen though), otherwise other video player apps support it properly I think.

Mirroring does work but at like, 2 FPS and is basically unwatchable. I know the official Video app supports it but I'd have to convert everything into the iTunes format which is what I'm trying to get around in the first place.

Are there VLC type players that can play videos without conversion? (That will also airplay to Apple TV)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah, I don't use them myself so I can't recommend anything in particular, but I know that they exist (quite a few I think). That said if mirroring is getting you unwatchable video, the other apps might suffer the same issue since it sounds like you might be running into bandwidth limitations on your network. Normal AirPlay just forwards the video file/stream which is pretty low bitrate, while mirroring (and I'm assuming the external screen function of the other non converting players) encodes the screen on the fly at a relatively high bitrate.

If your Apple TV is wired and you have an N network (i.e. the ideal conditions), try just restarting both the Apple TV and iPad (and perhaps router). I've run into instances where mirroring was unusable and restarting everything got it working fine again for whatever reason.

desy
Dec 21, 2006

Day man,
Fighter of the Night Man

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mirroring does work but at like, 2 FPS and is basically unwatchable. I know the official Video app supports it but I'd have to convert everything into the iTunes format which is what I'm trying to get around in the first place.

Are there VLC type players that can play videos without conversion? (That will also airplay to Apple TV)

I've tried a few and I've had the most success with Ace Player. It also allows you to play from upnp or ftp which is pretty useful for mirroring.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

desy posted:

I've tried a few and I've had the most success with Ace Player. It also allows you to play from upnp or ftp which is pretty useful for mirroring.

Alright thanks, it's just $1 so I'll try this out although the documentation scares me a bit

"20.The subtitle is not show, why?
Maybe you should click the “i” button and select the subtitle encoding"

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Dr. McReallysweet posted:

AirParrot has a time trial that you can test out yourself and see how it works. Personally it wasn't fast enough for me (streaming espn3), so I ended up going back to the old DVI-to-HDMI setup that I had going on.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I use Gplayer and I'm almost 100% certain it can airplay to an atv. I'll doublecheck when I get home this afternoon.

Gplayer is the only app I've found that can connect to my NAS and stream content without requiring conversion. It can even reliably stream 720p mkv content.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
My 2012 Macbook Air can't locate my Apple TV in order to airplay videos and mirror. I've tried rebooting both machines with no luck. My iphone and my ipad both work fine, so I have no idea what else to do. Any clue?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Which generation is your AppleTV? Gen 2 or the most recent Gen 3?

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Gen 2, with firmware 4.4.4. I just figured out the firmware is the problem, but when I choose "Update" from the menus, it tells me its up to date. This probably has something to do with the fact that I have aTV Flash (jailbroken) on it. I don't have a micro USB cable to try and change the firmware so I am stuck I guess!

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Are people still selling their Apple TV second generations for a big profit? The best offer I've gotten for mine on Craigslist in Austin is 120. That's big enough for a new 3rd Gen plus tax plus a burrito, so it's not a terrible deal. Just wondering if I should hold out for more.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The very second that aTV3 gets jailbroken your aTV2 is worthless. If you're determined to sell it then sell it now.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

HolySwissCheese posted:

Are people still selling their Apple TV second generations for a big profit? The best offer I've gotten for mine on Craigslist in Austin is 120. That's big enough for a new 3rd Gen plus tax plus a burrito, so it's not a terrible deal. Just wondering if I should hold out for more.

Ebay may be the better route. My buddy put his up with $160 Buy It Now and it was sold in a few hours.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Been using my aTV3 to watch a lot of Netflix lately. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but when watching a TV series it doesn't seem to auto advance to the next show in the series when the current show is done. I have to go hit the menu button go back and manually advance.

I guess I got spoiled with the redesign on both the PC and PS3, but the auto advance/play feature is really nice.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

niss posted:

Been using my aTV3 to watch a lot of Netflix lately. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but when watching a TV series it doesn't seem to auto advance to the next show in the series when the current show is done. I have to go hit the menu button go back and manually advance.

I guess I got spoiled with the redesign on both the PC and PS3, but the auto advance/play feature is really nice.
Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. That's just how it works.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Hoping that maybe someone in this thread can assist...

- Is there a place that shows the new movie releases available on AppleTV/iTunes? Navigating on the Apple TV is fine, but they have removed the tab for pre-theatrical/currently in theater movies, which is what I found myself looking for most often. It would be nice if there was a website or something that listed what new things were available. itunes itself lists SOME stuff, but it leaves out the lesser known indie flicks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Akuma posted:

Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. That's just how it works.

This it the number one thing that has pissed me off about my PS3 breaking, not being unable to play PS3 games. It really has the best netflix client.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Do you want to know all about the iPhone 5, iOS 6, OS X 10.8.2, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the event thread thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
Does anyone have any recommendations for programs that will remux MKV files to be aTV compatible? Preferably something can drag in meta data at the same time would be nice.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

^

Magic Media Marker posted:

Feed Magic Media Marker a video file and it will automatically determine if the file is a TV Show or a Movie by it's file name and download the appropriate metadata and artwork for you.

If it's really to aTV and not a to-go device, though, why not use Plex. It's done a near perfect job of finding and presenting meta data for me unless things are named terribly, in which case it tends to think they're Titanic or Jem or something.

Edit: It's done just fine for me (pre-flights and whatnot) but perhaps I don't consume enough media to have the troubles others have had.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 16, 2012

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

The ratings/comments seem to be swaying back and forth pretty hard. Can anyone vouch for it? I see that it's goonmade but that doesn't mean a lot to me. If I'm going to drop money on an app I'd at least like to see some better opinions of it.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Anyone know why aTV Flash's Media Player is finding metadata for some of my shows (The Newsroom, VEEP) as being "ECW Hardcore TV" ? I'm trying to reload the metadata and it's not even giving me the correct shows to choose from.. Files are named correctly I believe, and it pulls from TheTVDB.com which has the shows..

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

puppy party posted:

The ratings/comments seem to be swaying back and forth pretty hard. Can anyone vouch for it? I see that it's goonmade but that doesn't mean a lot to me. If I'm going to drop money on an app I'd at least like to see some better opinions of it.

I've used it myself many times and had no problems. Looking at the comments though, people do seem to have a number of issues with it. That's really one of the unfortunate things about the App Store is that you don't get trial periods with the software to see if it works for your specific needs.

I know it doesn't help with the metadata, but you can always use Handbrake for converting the video (which is what MMM uses behind the scenes)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

puppy party posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for programs that will remux MKV files to be aTV compatible? Preferably something can drag in meta data at the same time would be nice.

Mp4tools to Remux (it'll just repack the file into an m4v container without reencoding if it's already h264 encoded, just reencode the audio if it's not AAC, etc.). iDentify to tag. If you were particularly enterprising I'm sure you could make them work together.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 16, 2012

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Mp4tools to Remux (it'll just repack the file into an m4v container without reencoding if it's already h264 encoded, just reencode the audio if it's not AAC, etc.). iDentify to tag. If you were particularly enterprising I'm sure you could make them work together.
I have been slowly converting my AVI and MKV collection to m4v using Handbrake, but obviously each run takes a while. I recently tried using MP4Tools and have not had much luck. The videos seem to convert fine, and the M4V files play fine in VLC, MPlayerX and Quicktime however they do not play in iTunes and will not transfer to an iPad.

I have tried the latest stable and the latest beta, with no luck. I've also tried adjusting the frame rate to all of the options and that still hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

dexter6 posted:

I have been slowly converting my AVI and MKV collection to m4v using Handbrake, but obviously each run takes a while. I recently tried using MP4Tools and have not had much luck. The videos seem to convert fine, and the M4V files play fine in VLC, MPlayerX and Quicktime however they do not play in iTunes and will not transfer to an iPad.

I have tried the latest stable and the latest beta, with no luck. I've also tried adjusting the frame rate to all of the options and that still hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

Not related to MP4Tools, but you could whip up a very simple bash script to convert all of your AVI files to M4V using HandBrakeCLI.

code:
indir=/path/to/avi
outdir=/path/to/output

find $indir -name "*.avi" | while read input
do
    output= "$outdir/$(basename $input | sed s/\.avi/\.mp4/g)"

HandBrakeCLI --preset Normal -e x264 -i "$input" -o "$output"
done

• Locked thread