Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Schiavona posted:

Thanks. I picked up the SJR album off their website and it's good, and I've been listening to a lot of Nara Leao on Spotify. I really like her music, is it the most "traditional" or "popular" bossa nova?

Well she's a lot of things, depends on what you've been listening to. A traditional-popular dichotomy doesn't really make a lot of sense, since the genre's always happily coexisted with styles like samba-canção (crooner kind of stuff) and MPB (the "modern" style of samba & bossa that came around in the early '60s). All of her albums between '64 and '71 are definitely great stuff, containing just lots and lots of bossa classics, and the least "tradtional" of those is the '68 s/t, as it was arranged by the tropicália figure Rogério Duprat. After '71's Dez Anos Depois she went all pop and boring imo, but that was a general trend, I can hardly think of an interesting bossa album made after the mid-'70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

What's the best Serge Gainsbourg?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Iraff posted:

What's the best Serge Gainsbourg?

For the most famous late '60s "psychedelic" period: Initials B.B., Histoire de Melody Nelson, and the album with Jane Birkin (I think the title is just their names)

Chanson: Confidentiel, Du chant à la une !...

Reggae: Aux armes et cætera, Mauvaises nouvelles des étoiles

Talking quietly about weird scary poo poo over a sleazy euro-funk beat: L'homme à tête de chou, Vu de l'extérieur

Soundtracks: Le cinéma de Serge Gainsbourg: Musiques de Films 1959-1990 (duh), Anna, Cannabis

Inexplicable bizrre stuff: Gainsbourg percussions ("world music"), Rock Around the Bunker (nazi rock), Love on the Beat (deranged synth-pop)

Power Smith
Aug 23, 2011

hello friends. Where is a good place to start with Maher Shalal Hash Baz?
thnx

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Where do I start with Dr. John, given that I've started to become interested in him and notice that he's released over 20 loving albums.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

TheNintenGenius posted:

Where do I start with Dr. John, given that I've started to become interested in him and notice that he's released over 20 loving albums.

if you're interested in him as an "alternative" NO rnb artist, check out Gris-Gris, Babylon, The Sun, Moon & Herbs, and his latest, Locked Down. If more traditional stuff appears more interesting, give Dr John's Gumbo, In the Right Place, Goin' Back to New Orleans, or N'awlinz Dis Dat or d'Udda a listen.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ras Het posted:

if you're interested in him as an "alternative" NO rnb artist, check out Gris-Gris, Babylon, The Sun, Moon & Herbs, and his latest, Locked Down. If more traditional stuff appears more interesting, give Dr John's Gumbo, In the Right Place, Goin' Back to New Orleans, or N'awlinz Dis Dat or d'Udda a listen.
Yes, that's pretty much exaclty it.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
edit

Nevermind, very first post

screaden fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 20, 2012

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

ultrafilter posted:

The Dillinger Escape Plan started out doing some pretty insane stuff, but after they fired their vocalist, they pretty seriously chilled out and added more melody to their stuff. Where to start depends on which of those styles you like better. If it's the latter, then you can just go in reverse chronological order with the main albums, and probably stop when you hit Miss Machine. If it's the former, you need to hear Calculating Infinity and their EP with Mike Patton, Irony is a Dead Scene.

Here are a couple tracks to help you make up your mind:
Unretrofied: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QNVwH8ROn4
Caffeine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5yAzN9tK-0

Hate to quote something from a page back but can you define "insane stuff". Is this just musically nuts or peeing on chickens during concerts insane?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Moeru posted:

Hate to quote something from a page back but can you define "insane stuff". Is this just musically nuts or peeing on chickens during concerts insane?

Earlier Dillinger is both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lxwlgyhhA

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Where do I start with rap? I've never really had any interest in it. But I recently came across The Last Episode by Dr. Dre and loved every bit of it. The guitar beat, the lyrics, etc. I know it's pretty vague, but what should I try out based on that?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Puttblug posted:

Where do I start with rap? I've never really had any interest in it. But I recently came across The Last Episode by Dr. Dre and loved every bit of it. The guitar beat, the lyrics, etc. I know it's pretty vague, but what should I try out based on that?

The album that really got me into rap was Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein. It has these honest, raw lyrics over spacey sci-fi beats. Really talented guys, check out the opening track for a taste.

If you want a stone cold classic, Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers is a must. I'm a sucker for RZA's production. Also, OutKast - Stankonia is a masterpiece, but with a few missteps.

I'm no expert, but I only got into rap 5 years ago, so this is what got me into it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Where do I start with the Refused? I'm curious about them since they reformed and are such a big deal, so I want to hear what they sound like.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Shape of Punk to Come.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, there's not much more to say than what Ultrafilter did. Refused's other stuff is good---Rather Be Dead is a mixtape staple for me---but The Shape of Punk To Come is Capital-G Great.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Tangerine Dream?

I dig the stuff used in Risky Business, but I'm also worried that they go off the deep end into some New Agey wankfest.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

hatelull posted:

Tangerine Dream?

I dig the stuff used in Risky Business, but I'm also worried that they go off the deep end into some New Agey wankfest.

As shocking as it may seem I've never seen Risky Business, so I'm not really too sure what they did on that film.

However in general with Tangerine Dream I'd start with the beginning of their Virgin years, with the albums Phaedra, Rubycon and Stratosfear. I've also heard good things about their live album Ricochet from that time period, but again I've heard it.

Their later Virgin stuff (albums like Hyperborea) are also pretty decent, though not quite up there with the early work. I've not heard too much of their post-Virgin 1980s work, though from what I have heard while I could understand if someone said they were New Agey, to me they're just very very 80s synthy and hasn't exactly dated all too well.

Speaking of soundtracks, I'd also check out their scores to the films Sorcerer and Thief which are both really good.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Where does one start with Fugazi? I was listening to early Q And Not U and someone asked me if I liked them, but I have not heard a single track.

Educate me.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

-Atom- posted:

Where does one start with Fugazi? I was listening to early Q And Not U and someone asked me if I liked them, but I have not heard a single track.

Educate me.

I'd start with Repeater and 13 Songs for sure. Steady Diet of Nothing and In on the Kill Taker are good too. I haven't heard anything they've done after that though.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Polegrinder posted:

I'd start with Repeater and 13 Songs for sure. Steady Diet of Nothing and In on the Kill Taker are good too. I haven't heard anything they've done after that though.

YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON THE WHOLE WORLD, SON

The Argument and Red Medicine are their best albums. End Hits is wonky and uneven but it has a soft spot in my heart. Check out the early stuff, for sure, but early Fugazi is to later Fugazi as early Beatles is to later Beatles.

let i hug
Dec 25, 2011

Where do I start with Trey Songz? Obviously I've heard stuff on the radio but I've never listened to an actual album from him. I want to start branching out from The-Dream.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

quadrophrenic posted:

YOU'RE MISSING OUT ON THE WHOLE WORLD, SON

The Argument and Red Medicine are their best albums. End Hits is wonky and uneven but it has a soft spot in my heart. Check out the early stuff, for sure, but early Fugazi is to later Fugazi as early Beatles is to later Beatles.

For sure; the Argument is amazing and a fitting final release.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just listened to Jimmy Cliff's "The Harder They Come" (soundtrack with other bands on it) after basically avoiding reggae my whole life. I followed that up with Cliff's rebirth and really loved both albums.

I also have always dug the reggae tracks of Bad Brains.

What are some other reggae classics? I don't care if they're old or new, or what style, they're all new to me. No Bob Marley please.

Edit: I'm a dolt and didn't see the dedicated Reggae thread that spring up recently.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 1, 2012

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Okay nerds, what's my best bet for

-Coil

-Silkworm

knowing very little of each, and each with a fair sized catalog.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

big business sloth posted:

Okay nerds, what's my best bet for

-Coil

I have to fight the urge to flood you with a huge list of albums and how they fit into Coil's oeuvre and how they rank on my personal scale of awesome Coil albums. So here's just a few suggestions:

The more straight-forward song side of Coil: Try Love's Secret Domain or The Ape of Naples
More spacey and psychedelic but still grounded in songs: Musick to Play in the Dark Volume 1 (my personal #1 Coil album)
Cool dense electronic soundscapes: Stolen and Contaminated Songs (outtakes from Love's Secret Domain), A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room
Drone music: Time Machines (a definitive drone album)

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Cool. I knew that they are very varied in musical style, so a good breakdown was what I was looking for.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Firewater is probably their most immediate release, so start with that. Developer and Blueblood are good places to go from there, but everything they released was great so you can't really go wrong. Also, don't forget to check out the Crust Brothers album. It was Silkworm and Stephen Malkmus covering mostly Bob Dylan songs

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Where should I start with for Beat Happening and Polvo?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Friends Are Evil posted:

Where should I start with for Beat Happening and Polvo?

For Polvo it depends on what you're looking for. If it's fun and loud kung-fu-inspired math-rock, then go with their first two LPs. If you're more into more traditional song structures in rock look for "Exploded Drawing" or "This Eclipse" EP. I can totally understand newcomers getting really annoyed with their chaotic early recordings but they stood up to the test of time better than their later stuff.

For Beat Happening check "Black Candy" and "You Turn Me On". The first one's got some fun dark vibes. The second is the classic.
Also, check Tronics "Love Backed By Force" LP to see where Calvin Johnson got all of his poo poo from.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

dailydares posted:

Firewater is probably their most immediate release, so start with that. Developer and Blueblood are good places to go from there, but everything they released was great so you can't really go wrong. Also, don't forget to check out the Crust Brothers album. It was Silkworm and Stephen Malkmus covering mostly Bob Dylan songs

Also, Bottomless Pit, with two of the remaining members of Silkworm, is great as well. It's essentially an extension of the same thing, and their Congress EP is really, really good.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Clothed N Famous posted:

Where do I start with Trey Songz? Obviously I've heard stuff on the radio but I've never listened to an actual album from him. I want to start branching out from The-Dream.

Ready is a good album but really you want his mixtapes, particularly Anticipation I & II.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Billy Bragg? I only know a few songs but I like them all.

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time

hatelull posted:

Tangerine Dream?

Can I ask the same question from a different angle? I've been led to believe that they're a big influence on John Carpenter and stuff like Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrows's excellent 'Drokk' project, but I don't know where to start.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

i am a bee posted:

Can I ask the same question from a different angle? I've been led to believe that they're a big influence on John Carpenter and stuff like Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrows's excellent 'Drokk' project, but I don't know where to start.

Check my answer to that Tangerine Dream question as my opinion is still the same. Starting at the Virgin Records-era stuff is the best - and easiest - way if you ask me. Their first 3 albums for Virgin being some of their finest work in my opinion. So Phaedra, Rubycon and Stratosfear.

Though actually I wonder if in this case you might actually be better off starting on Stratosfear, then working on to some of their later 70s/early 80s work. So after Stratosfear you have Force Majeure, Tangram, Exit and Hyperborea, which was their last record for Virgin. And that's not including a bunch of live albums and soundtracks like for Sorcerer and Thief.

There's a definite change from say, Tangram onwards though. The music becomes a bit less sequenced, a bit less massive and spacey. More straight ahead with things like guitars and drums becoming a bit more prevalent. You start to get more kinda self-contained music, sometimes almost like soundtracks for non-existant films which may actually be exactly what you want. Only real downside is it can seem a bit dated nowadays but if you can work past that you're golden.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What about David Bowie? I know that's a tough task since he's had at least as many major phases as there are decades in his career. All I really know of him are his singles, but my favorites that I've heard from him are Modern Love and I'm Deranged. If there's a few different ones I should pick up for the various phases that's fine too.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

What about David Bowie? I know that's a tough task since he's had at least as many major phases as there are decades in his career. All I really know of him are his singles, but my favorites that I've heard from him are Modern Love and I'm Deranged. If there's a few different ones I should pick up for the various phases that's fine too.

Not often one would say their favourite Bowie song is I'm Deranged. That was from a relatively unsuccessful part of his career, where he went all industrial/drum and bass on everyone, however that's not to say it was a bad phase. The album that I'm Deranged is from is Outside, which is actually pretty good, it's a bit long and has a lot of filler, but the actual songs themselves are very strong, in particular, The Heart's Filthy Lesson and The Voyeur of Utter Destruction, but the album itself can still be a slog to listen to. If you still want to go that route, pick up Earthling as well, which is one of my favourite Bowie albums, even if it's only for Little Wonder and Seven Years in Tibet.

If you want to go down the Modern Love route, you could get the album that it's from, Let's Dance, which was one of his most successful periods, mostly because the singles from that album were very radio friendly. It's not particularly challenging, but the songwriting is still really strong. For some alternatives to that I'd recommend Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) or Young Americans as they both have a more commercial, new listener friendly approach to the songwriting.

For what are considered the absolute Bowie classics, you have Ziggy Stardust which was his glam rock era, then Low, which is pretty much the peak of Bowie for most people, which came in the Berlin era of albums which he did with Brian Eno

Alternatively, anything from The Man Who Sold the World up to Let's Dance is excellent. Just stay away from Tonight and Never Let Me Down until you've listened to everything else

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

screaden posted:

Not often one would say their favourite Bowie song is I'm Deranged. That was from a relatively unsuccessful part of his career, where he went all industrial/drum and bass on everyone, however that's not to say it was a bad phase. The album that I'm Deranged is from is Outside, which is actually pretty good, it's a bit long and has a lot of filler, but the actual songs themselves are very strong, in particular, The Heart's Filthy Lesson and The Voyeur of Utter Destruction, but the album itself can still be a slog to listen to. If you still want to go that route, pick up Earthling as well, which is one of my favourite Bowie albums, even if it's only for Little Wonder and Seven Years in Tibet.

If you want to go down the Modern Love route, you could get the album that it's from, Let's Dance, which was one of his most successful periods, mostly because the singles from that album were very radio friendly. It's not particularly challenging, but the songwriting is still really strong. For some alternatives to that I'd recommend Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) or Young Americans as they both have a more commercial, new listener friendly approach to the songwriting.

For what are considered the absolute Bowie classics, you have Ziggy Stardust which was his glam rock era, then Low, which is pretty much the peak of Bowie for most people, which came in the Berlin era of albums which he did with Brian Eno

Alternatively, anything from The Man Who Sold the World up to Let's Dance is excellent. Just stay away from Tonight and Never Let Me Down until you've listened to everything else

I can't really disagree with this writeup, though I'd make special mention of Station to Station being utterly amazing (which came just before his whole Berlin series). Also I'd say that Space Oddity is worth picking up too since it has a lot of great songs on it, especially the title track and "Cygnet Committee."

A couple other Bowie periods to be wary of would be his pre-Space Oddity juvenilia (he hadn't really come into his own as a songwriter yet and some of that stuff is downright embarrassing) and, really, I'd extend his "avoid for now" period after Tonight and Never Let Me Down to also include his Tin Machine albums (an attempt to go hard rock that didn't quite pan out) and Black Tie White Noise (which is pretty uninspired as a whole).

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Terminally Bored posted:

For Beat Happening check "Black Candy" and "You Turn Me On". The first one's got some fun dark vibes. The second is the classic.

"Black Candy" is my favorite, but I'd suggest "Jamboree" as the "where do I start with..." record. It's the one that most represents the band. "You turn me on" is the best record they ever made, but it's also actually the one that's most different from the rest, with higher-quality production and longer songs. It's what they finally worked up to.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Where do I begin with NRBQ? I was recently reading the Yo La Tengo biography and hadn't realized they were such a big influence on that band. They're probably the only cult band that I've never even listened to and they have like 100 records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Where's the best place to begin with Aesop Rock?