Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
The new Nighthawk costume set is completely broken, in that the parts have no native categories. This makes it a double-edged sword.

On one hand, you have to use the part search to apply boots and bracers. And apply material settings individually. Kind of annoying. The Dragon Armor parts and Gravitar parts have similar problems.

On the other hand, this means you can now wear a (specific) hood while using any other kind of head. I.E. wearing a hood while having a beasts' head, or having a hood with a high collar. If you use it under the category of "huge rigid helmets" (or fully-opaque bubble helms) you can have a hood without a head.

Same technically applies for every other part in the set. You can also have his chestpiece while also having no arms. Or cause horriffic clipping with his boots on a pair of baggy pants.

So, laziness we can all benefit from. Ghost knights rejoice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I started fooling around on the F2P version. So far, very City of Heroes but prettier. Not so sure about the level progression stuff, tho.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also hasn't been a lot to talk about with the game meanwhile, too. There's a big patch adding a bunch of Batman Nighthawk-themed powers and vehicles, but it hasn't been launched yet and there's only been a few small things in the meanwhile (like the related costume set). It'll be fun once it's out, but until then...

Well okay, I guess there's the 15% bonus Zen sale that's still going on, for those of you who like to spend real money? Probably should have mentioned that before now, but it came up in the STO thread, and :effort: Ends 3PM tomorrow, so still some time to take advantage anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm chilling in supergoon channel right now getting my learn on. I've got the leveling thing under control and I am having tons of fun.

Its kinda weird for an MMO to be really single player oriented tho.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
In my experience, CO isn't directly single-player oriented, but there's no reason to actually get a team together for anything but like... maybe three things.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Here is one of those things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1l8dfqFv1s

(Easter egg: Note where all the debris gets thrown near the end)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Is there a good freeform build tool out there?

I wanna make KaneBot 9001 be the best car thrower and face puncher on the planet.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

coconono posted:

Is there a good freeform build tool out there?

I wanna make KaneBot 9001 be the best car thrower and face puncher on the planet.

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html
This is hopefully what you're looking for.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, the powerhouse is pretty much the best character builder available for the game right now. Currently, it doesn't have the new Nighthawk stuff, and I don't quite like how it lacks the precise numbers for the powers, but I'd say it does a serviceable job of letting you plan out a build.

If you really need the exact numbers for how much damage things do/how much energy/how much bonus/etc, I'd suggest checking out the CO-Wiki

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

how's this for a melee DPS with a dose of survivability:

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=4&n=&d=1143abABidcM3m0900BI100I70BIA00IC0D9A00I603IL00IJ0BIK0BIH00I400I80DI9003bDC00jv3bhx

I use the wrist bolters to close distance, charge and create aggro. Then when I get duders clumped together, they get AoE knockback attacks. Survivors and lone guys will get hit with more AoE or single target stuff.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

coconono posted:

how's this for a melee DPS with a dose of survivability:

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=4&n=&d=1143abABidcM3m0900BI100I70BIA00IC0D9A00I603IL00IJ0BIK0BIH00I400I80DI9003bDC00jv3bhx

I use the wrist bolters to close distance, charge and create aggro. Then when I get duders clumped together, they get AoE knockback attacks. Survivors and lone guys will get hit with more AoE or single target stuff.

So, you chose good superstats and good specializations.

There's a few problems. First off, your Targetting Computer passive is only going to boost the damage of your Technology attacks. The number of attacks you have from the Tech tree roughly sums up to 1: Your energy builder. Since your energy builder is by and large your least damaging attack (and also not melee), you probably will want a more fitting passive, like Unstoppable or Way of the Warrior.

While we're still on passives, your build has two (fake edit: It actually has THREE?!?), but can only use one at any given time. Given that, Defiance isn't a bad defensive passive, but taking up two different power slots for things you can only use one of at a time isn't probably quite optimal.

Fake Edit: So, yeah. Get rid of Targetting Computer and Defiance; No reason to really use anything other than unstoppable. Put stuff like Enrage and Conviction in its place for more damage and survivability.

Another issue is that your build doesn't have any self-heals. That really is the key to making a good, sturdy damage role. Get a reliable self-heal from something like Conviction, Bountiful Chi Resurgence, or Bionic Shielding, and you're going to find that you'll be much more survivable; especially when running in Hybrid mode.

You're taking a lot of "Accelerated Metabolism" advantages. Since you've already got a good choice of superstats, you probably won't need these advantages to handle your energy. In practice, the Accelerated Metabolism advantage pretty much almost never works; it procs too unoften to really justify it, and it could easily be spent to improve other aspects of your build, such as your passives (which really shouldn't be anything lower than Rank 3, considering you're always using them).

You probably could do with less attacks in general. I'd boil it down to essentially Chain Lariat and Havoc Stomp for your AoE (and if you want to get more technological, you could easily get Energy Wave with Reverse Polarity for the same effect). Demolish is a good choice for a single-target damage output, and also makes specific targets weaker to your attacks. Lose the Lariat and Hurl; they're mostly utilities for pulling or locking down targets, which your lunge already does an excellent job of.

Put heals, a block, and a panic button (unbreakable, masterful dodge, resurgence) in their places. Also, get Molecular Reassembly; that'll be more than enough to justify Intelligence as a superstat.

This is how I'd build a Melee DPS/survivor with a focus on AoE knocks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Havoc Stomp is a 100% replacement for Roomsweeper, so take that way earlier and don't take Roomsweeper at all.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Havoc Stomp is a 100% replacement for Roomsweeper, so take that way earlier and don't take Roomsweeper at all.

Roomsweeper's damage is actually about on par with Havoc Stomp's (which is really weird; Roomsweeper's a Tier 1 and Havoc Stomp is Tier 3). Both apply Enrage on a half charge or higher, but Roomsweeper does charge faster. However, Havoc Stomp is also much more manageable (when not fully charged) and obviously covers a wider area.

It's something that really can't be properly detailed in a build planner, but I'd take Roomsweeper in the very early levels, and then when HS becomes available, just respec out of the former move.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Knockback's bad, though. Havoc Stomp lets you not knockback.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aphrodite posted:

but I like knockback in PvE :( Its funny and most of the time they come running right back at you.

I want something that's an AoE nuke(ish) with knockback.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Aphrodite posted:

Havoc Stomp lets you not knockback.

They finally realized having the best core skill in a powerset be an AoE Knockback was bad? :toot:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's also 360 degrees and not a forward cone. It really is better all around. Sadly, since Roomsweeper's way cooler.

EDIT: And oh hey, the Batman night warrior stuff went live. :D

Asimo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 28, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

coconono posted:

but I like knockback in PvE :( Its funny and most of the time they come running right back at you.

I want something that's an AoE nuke(ish) with knockback.

That's the beauty of Havoc Stomp: It can knockback, but it doesn't have to.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Asimo posted:

It's also 360 degrees and not a forward cone. It really is better all around. Sadly, since Roomsweeper's way cooler.

EDIT: And oh hey, the Batman night warrior stuff went live. :D

Even the missions and whatnot? I've been holding off coming back till that stuff went live so I can get my bat hawk plane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The mission, vehicles and travel power aren't up yet.

Costume, AT and powers are up.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Eh, that's still enough to finally make a proper Batman dark avenger. :colbert: Although the prior Martial Arts additions a few months back went a long way to help too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I splurged and bought $20 worth of z-buckz.

I am now the proud owner of a moonbase, anime pets and power armor.

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

I am thinking of cashing in and going Gold simply for the ability to make my own build but the options seem really overwhelming. Is it a good to simply play around in the PowerHouse builder and try and get an understanding of what works good together?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Buy a 60 day card from Amazon for like $12.

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Buy a 60 day card from Amazon for like $12.

They don't ship internationally it seems and since I am not from the US, that sort of throws a wrench into those plans. :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

smile.jpg posted:

I am thinking of cashing in and going Gold simply for the ability to make my own build but the options seem really overwhelming. Is it a good to simply play around in the PowerHouse builder and try and get an understanding of what works good together?

I'd like Powerhouse better if it gave more in depth stats.

Also super sorry to the guy I was teaming with last night. My client decided to poo poo itself and then I had to take a phone call.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Looks like the first vehicles hit tomorrow?

I wonder how hard it will be to unlock one of those for play outside the mission. I assume the real vehicle system will be much less difficult to get access to.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Yup, they came out today. You can get them either by farming Nighthawk's mission repeatedly, buying 100z belts, or just buying a 1500z plane.

Also, they can apparently be used inside Club Caprice. Wouldn't put it past them, either, since I did that while it was still on the PTS.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bluhman posted:

Yup, they came out today. You can get them either by farming Nighthawk's mission repeatedly, buying 100z belts, or just buying a 1500z plane.

Also, they can apparently be used inside Club Caprice. Wouldn't put it past them, either, since I did that while it was still on the PTS.

It's my jetsona, don't judge me. inside i am a beautiful steel framework with anti-aircraft missiles, and you roleplayers are oppressing me by telling me to turn this toggle off, how dare you.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bluhman posted:

How do the planes compare to travel powers? A faster, less maneuverable? Doing strafing runs on escaped convicts sounds kinda hilarious and anti-hero.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Welp. With the death of City of Heroes, I may have to try a month of Gold Sub...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Champions Online: Our superhero game isn't being shut down!

:shepface:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Not for lack of trying on Atari's part, though... :cheeky:

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Asimo posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Champions Online: Our superhero game isn't being shut down!

Now that's just petty.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

General Maximus posted:

Now that's just petty.

And yet entirely what's happening :gonk:

Ah well, enjoy your influx of new players. For better or worse :v:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Asimo posted:

I'm here from the City of Heroes thread to say that those are fightin' words.

High noon, munitions vs AR/Devices, ten paces, neutral ground (DCUO).

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Dinictus posted:

And yet entirely what's happening :gonk:

Ah well, enjoy your influx of new players. For better or worse :v:

Indeed it is, sadly. Though personally I'm going to Secret World. And possibly resubbing to WoW maybe.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Patware posted:

I'm here from the City of Heroes thread to say that those are fightin' words.

High noon, munitions vs AR/Devices, ten paces, neutral ground (DCUO).
Nah, I haven't played CoH in ages (and I still say ChampO's better), but I played it back in the day and for all its faults it was amazingly fun. And Paragon being thrown under a bus is practically a crime of bullshit corporate politics. It's a miracle Cryptic didn't suffer a similar fate at the hands of Atari (and not for lack of trying). :smith:

But that's something for the CoH thread.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Asimo posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Champions Online: Our superhero game isn't being shut down, yet!

:ohdear:

I fixed it.

I haven't played CO since it's launch but with CoH getting its head chopped off, I am looking for a replacement hero game. The graphics in CO are goofy but the Ultimate Thor mock up on page 4 or so really sold me on this. I'm down for swinging some heavy weapons.

I vaguely remember my Might character and he seemed so drat underpowered. My general combat tactic was to take off into a mob at a run and use Roomsweeper to throw the crowd (which is funny) and then I could single target them as they came running back. I never felt truly "super" playing the game though. Has that been balanced out?

Swinging was cool and the earth shattering Super Jump was cool. I'm into special effects, I guess.

Where does the general populace gather to shoot the poo poo and roleplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ZombieParts posted:

Where does the general populace gather to shoot the poo poo and roleplay?

Renaissance Center and Club Caprice respectively, but understand that somehow, they're worse than Atlas Park and Pocket D.