Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I can't find the Nightwish thread so I guess I'll post this here - I'm interviewing Tuomas Holopainen, the keyboard player and songwriter on Sunday. If you have anything you want to know, shout at me.

Ask him what the gently caress he was thinking when he wrote "the scent of grandfatherly love."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

fozzie dunlop posted:

Ask him what the gently caress he was thinking when he wrote "the scent of grandfatherly love."

Ask him what the interior of his own rear end looks like.

e: without using the word "child" or "poet"

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

QPZIL posted:

VHÖL lineup:
Sigrid Sheie (Hammers of Misfortune)
John Cobbett (Hammers, Ludicra)
Mike Scheidt (YOB)
Aesop Dekker (Agalloch, Ludicra, Worm Ouroboros)

I read about this a bit in an interview with Mike Scheidt a bit back and it got me really excited to hear he would be working with Aesop. The rest of the lineup does not fail to impress :)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ask him why he's switched the focus away from interesting guitar work and onto the orchestra.

Maybe yell at him that Oceanborn is their best work and it's time to drop the 500 layers of violins.

Man now I miss the good old days. Once was a good album but it was the beginning of the end :smith:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Sick can opener action.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Murder Construct has a new album and it rules well cya

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Olibu posted:

I actually put that long-rear end interview on Horror Show on in the background while I was playing some games recently. I thought it was pretty telling when at this point in the band's career he felt like they should have been the biggest metal band.

A personal favorite moment was when he made fun of his guitarist for liking Helloween and Manowar. I laughed because Helloween will be remembered for far longer than Iced Earth will.

Horror Show was a pretty badass album, to be fair. It's just that everything after that has been horribly boring and generic. I guess you can only come up with so many gallop riffs.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Murder Construct has a new album and it rules well cya

If it's 1/2 as good as the last Cattle Decapitation or Exhumed albums, I'm on it.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Why do I love this so much

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
New Jaldaboath song "Black Metal Beauty" may actually be a tiny bit funny. Still the same silly music, though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Drifter287 posted:

Horror Show was a pretty badass album, to be fair. It's just that everything after that has been horribly boring and generic. I guess you can only come up with so many gallop riffs.
You know, I liked Horror Show -- a lot -- for a pretty long time. Then, one day, I had a ruination revelation on par with realizing Matt Bellamy from Muse gasps with hurricane force before every third word he sings. Every single song has the same crutch -- that part where all the instruments drop out and you're left with a single clean guitar and a groaning Matt Barlow for a solid 30 seconds -- before the verse riff kicks back in. I can't stand to listen to most of the album besides "Wolf" and "Dracula" anymore.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Is Ruination Revelation a band name yet? It probably should be.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Misogynist posted:

You know, I liked Horror Show -- a lot -- for a pretty long time. Then, one day, I had a ruination revelation on par with realizing Matt Bellamy from Muse gasps with hurricane force before every third word he sings. Every single song has the same crutch -- that part where all the instruments drop out and you're left with a single clean guitar and a groaning Matt Barlow for a solid 30 seconds -- before the verse riff kicks back in. I can't stand to listen to most of the album besides "Wolf" and "Dracula" anymore.

I do think "The Phantom Opera Ghost" was the finest song on the album and Jon said during the interview that the song was actually unfinished and he wanted to add like six more minutes to it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Misogynist posted:

I had the same realization about Dark Saga. I think half the songs on that album go into the chorus with no vocals after the first verse. There are probably things like that on every Iced Earth album, aside from the absurd over-use of palm-muted triplets.

Edit: Speaking of which, I laughed out loud the first time I heard the part in Phantom Opera Ghost where everything drops out save for Jon Schaffer on a lone acoustic guitar galloping like a motherfucker. Godspeed you ridiculous bastard.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Drifter287 posted:

I had the same realization about Dark Saga. I think half the songs on that album go into the chorus with no vocals after the first verse. There are probably things like that on every Iced Earth album, aside from the absurd over-use of palm-muted triplets.
I'll never hear "The Hunter" the same way again :(

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Drifter287 posted:

On a similar note, Something Wicked This Way Comes always rubbed me the wrong way whenever I listened to it all the way through. Then I realized its tracklist consistently alternates between a thrash song followed by a ballad song. It is like Schaffer took two EPs and just mashed them together.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Lord Purple posted:

On a similar note, Something Wicked This Way Comes always rubbed me the wrong way whenever I listened to it all the way through. Then I realized its tracklist consistently alternates between a thrash song followed by a ballad song. It is like Schaffer took two EPs and just mashed them together.
It doesn't help that Iced Earth writes really, really bad ballads.

:911:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

If it's 1/2 as good as the last Cattle Decapitation or Exhumed albums, I'm on it.

I wrote a review of it a couple weeks ago, and it seriously loving rules so hard.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Misogynist posted:

It doesn't help that Iced Earth writes really, really bad ballads.

:911:

The Ghost Of Freedom is the stupidest thing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It's almost as if Iced Earth really isn't that good.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jon Schaffer did a pretty good job of ripping off Steve Harris I guess

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 22, 2016

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Seeing them live recently brought back memories of high school where I was talking them up as a cross between Iron Maiden and Metallica. Oh, Iced Earth. :allears:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Olibu posted:

The Ghost Of Freedom is the stupidest thing.

I disagree.
The supidesT and campiest one is, without a doubt, "When the Eagle Cries"... particularly the horrendous video (featuring Jon wearing a turtleneck!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6xrSyhVhc

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I think the first two Iced Earth albums are good.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Stormrider is a great album and I still dig a few of their other records but yes, Jon Schaffer is a terrible, terrible songwriter.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody else going toSymphony X at Baltimore Soundstage?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Anybody else going toSymphony X at Baltimore Soundstage?

I got overruled and am going to the DC show instead. Baltimore is cool guys, really! :(

e: and Kamelot that friday in whatever the hell Jaxx is called now. Anyone going to that?

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 31, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Machinae Supremacy's new album coming out in October.

Totally loving stoked here. Every one of their studio albums has been better than the previous one, and A View From The End Of The World is already one of my favourite albums ever. Kinda hoping they won't continue the trend, because if they do my loving head is going to explode into rainbow-coloured circuit board fragments.

Cover art looks great too, imo.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I liked Machinae Supremacy a lot more after I realized that they don't take themselves seriously and half their songs are about video games.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like that fact that they have both serious and silly songs. Such as Indiscriminate Murder Is Counter-Productive and Remnant (March of the Undead IV), respectively.
Also, goddamn the buildup at the end of Remnant never fails to give me the chills. It's loving gorgeous.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
This is my favorite Machinae Supremacy song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bX_DRC1O0A

heliovich
Nov 6, 2007
have a golden manbaby

Slate Action posted:

I liked Machinae Supremacy a lot more after I realized that they don't take themselves seriously and half their songs are about video games.

Yeah, definitely this. I still find stuff like Action Girl kinda cringeworthy though. I don't know how they do it, but they just seem to write infectious melodies on every goddamn track and they're so memorable. I found myself humming the bridge/ending melody of A View From The End Of The World the other day and completely forgot where it came from. Their "serious" songs do have some pretty well-written lyrics too.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

nerve posted:

Me too! Oh man I wish they'd re-do this on a studio album so much.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

nerve posted:

I dont know this band and this song is ok, but jesus, look at this concert. People are LAN gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQdTmw9cmg

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

henpod posted:

I dont know this band and this song is ok, but jesus, look at this concert. People are LAN gaming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQdTmw9cmg
Yup, notice "Live @ Assembly" in the title? Assembly isn't the name of the venue, but the event the gig was held in. Assembly is, as Wikipedia puts it, "a demoscene and gaming event". Basically an enormous loving LAN party that's held annually in one of the biggest ice hockey/multipurpose arenas here. So yeah, a fitting place for a MaSu gig. :)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nordick posted:

74 more minutes in about a month and a half, seeing how Time I already has a set release date and everything. As in, for real.
It's not the first time. I remember seeing a release date for Time in 2007 and again in 2010. I'm sure at least the '07 one was semi-official.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Jari Mäenpää awakes in a start, his flaxen hair plastered to his neck by fever-sweat. It's still dark. He still hears it in his dreams every night, all 40 minutes of it. He's never heard it the way he hears it in his dreams.

"Fifteen clarinets. Perkele, I only used fifteen clarinets. ONLY FIFTEEN GOD DAMNED-!"

His words trail off as he grabs his mobile phone from the nightstand. A calloused bone of a finger mashes a name on the screen, as if to push it through the phone and make it appear in his bedroom - "Nuclear Blast."

---

The next day, a senior executive sulks into a PR office.

"Guys, I uh..."

Two men with thick black-rimmed glasses spin around in their Herman Miller Aeron chairs.

"It's Jari. He called last night. It's happened again, he..."

The bespectacled men's faces drop almost synchronously.

Through a lump in his throat, the executive forces out, "I need you to write a press release..."

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I forgot how awesome Karl Sanders is. This interview done at Bloodstock just showed how laid back he was and it makes me like him and Nile even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Turk February posted:

I forgot how awesome Karl Sanders is. This interview done at Bloodstock just showed how laid back he was and it makes me like him and Nile even more.

Karl is super nice and offered to pay for my coffee after we chatted in the line at Gothenburg airport.

My most feel-good metal moment! :)