Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cat Terrist posted:

Can someone enlighten what a foamer is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
AAAAAAUUGGGHHHH! I made it to 40 seconds and then noticed that there was 4 more minutes left, and that he was adding even more weird text poo poo to the video and I had to shut it off. Four minutes listening to a guy cream his jorts about a locomotive sounds like a level of hell I don't deserve.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
EMD is like the Harley of locomotives. Just putting that out there.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

Loud, obnoxious, and stuck in the 70s?

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

ijustam posted:

Loud, obnoxious, and stuck in the 70s?

They were first with AC drive, bolsterless and radial trucks in the US.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Giblet Plus! posted:

for when you really need an efficient way to convert fuel into noise without the byproduct of power?

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Whenever foamer is searched on the web this needs to be on the first page of the search results.

B4C posted this a while back.

This looks like a whole lot of fun to deal with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txNMwminoiw

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 14, 2012

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I went out today and I saw one of Freightliner's new(ish) Class 70s while I was waiting for my train, and oh boy do GE make a gently caress ugly locomotive.

Then when I was trying to figure out what the hell the abomination I'd seen, I discovered that when they were unloading them from the ship they're bought here in, they, err, dropped one.

Also another one caught fire, oh well they are only 3 years old.

They go past my office in Sheffield every day. My God they're ugly.

If it looks right, it flies right. And that engine does not look right.

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 14, 2012

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

meltie posted:

They go past my office in Sheffield every day. My God they're ugly.

agreed. for comparison, some continental comparison:

TRAXX (bombardier)

euro4000 (vossloh)

eurorunner (siemens)

jt42cwrm (emd)

JT42EU concept (emd)

quote:

If it looks right, it flies right. And that engine does not look right.

It's a train cruising at low speed. The outer appearance means nothing and the history of successful freight locomotives proves this.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Because of this thread, i spent most of yesterday playing Railroad Tycoon 2...

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Train Simulator 2013 is coming out in September!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I wish they'd have more historical steam routes in that game. I love driving cool steamers that actually provide a gameplay challenge on routes short enough that it doesn't get boring, like Bath-Templecombe in Railworks. I don't see what's fun in monitoring a gauge or two for several hours which is what the modern stuff seems to be. It sounds boring in real life and even more boring in game. And you don't get paid for it.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Dude. Foamers.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Elukka posted:

I wish they'd have more historical steam routes in that game. I love driving cool steamers that actually provide a gameplay challenge on routes short enough that it doesn't get boring, like Bath-Templecombe in Railworks. I don't see what's fun in monitoring a gauge or two for several hours which is what the modern stuff seems to be. It sounds boring in real life and even more boring in game. And you don't get paid for it.
That's what Microsoft Train Simulator is for.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I met some teenage foamers at Chatsworth a year before the train crash there. They could have been the same kids the engineer was talking to before the collision. I can't imagine there being more than one group of teenagers in the area recording trains as they pass by.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nerobro posted:

What happens inside a diesel engine is a little different. The flame in a diesel can only burn what oxygen is near it. Since the flamethrower analogy is more apt, we'll stick with that. If you've ever shot an aerosol can over a lighter, you know the effect. You'll notice that it doesn't all burn "right away." A lot of the fuel gets a few feet down the line, and is still burning. It's still burning a few feet away from you, because it can't find the oxygen to burn immediately. That's also why diesels have a practical limit somewhere less than 5200rpm. (Though Gale Banks is trying to fix that...)

The diesel injector works just like that aerosol can. It shoots a spray of fuel into the combustion chamber. If all that fuel reaches oxygen, it all burns. Cleanly, and without smoke. As it turns out, due to spray patterns, and physics means only roughly 1/3 of the air volume in a diesel is available to be burned. Places near the nozzle, squish area, space above the ring lands.. are all space where air is compressed, but you can't get fuel to.

Thanks.

something not completely different from foamers

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

KennyLoggins posted:

This looks like a whole lot of fun to deal with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txNMwminoiw

I have seen them do that locally with a mantis crane.

Like this one

http://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/used/mantis/30011-for-sale/1582402/detail/

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 18, 2012

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I went out today and I saw one of Freightliner's new(ish) Class 70s while I was waiting for my train, and oh boy do GE make a gently caress ugly locomotive.

My god, that's horrible.

What was the noise like when they 'dropped' it?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Hezzy posted:

Train Simulator 2013 is coming out in September!
Hezzy are you the Alan Partridge man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th8H6mnM540

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the foamers discussion earlier I remembered this classic Onion News video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuVVlSgYLc

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the foamers discussion earlier I remembered this classic Onion News video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuVVlSgYLc

It never gets old. I love that video.

Autistic Reporter posted:

Before the train came to a complete stop it ran over 3 trashbags, a piece of gum, a snickers wrapper, a man, and a glove..

That part always makes me lose it.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I don't know why, but I've always thought this guy makes the best (funniest) foamer videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXyw4Zm1ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3daZdyoX3tQ&feature=relmfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxqjQk6T-IE&feature=relmfu

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bytebark posted:

I don't know why, but I've always thought this guy makes the best (funniest) foamer videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXyw4Zm1ew

:woop: "AN SC70ACE WOOOOO WOOOO WOOOOO!" :woop:

Holy crap could he be any more excited about a passed locomotive.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Remember the NKP steam engine from a couple of pages back? I caught it going through Alliance, OH yesterday. There were about 100 people out there to see it, not many foamers but one woman who always said the train was approximately 60 minutes away.

Who knew there was something to do in Alliance that wasn't drug related?

An eastbound ethanol train taking the Bayard Secondary:

Here it comes....

And there it goes....

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I always make the conductor dismount first when there is a foamer trying to corner us. It is a seniority move. :smug:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

I always make the conductor dismount first when there is a foamer trying to corner us. It is a seniority move. :smug:

Your that guy. I hate you. And if I could get away with it, I would totally moon them. But yeah... that whole rule 1.6 could be a real rear end kicker.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just spent like the last 3 hours marathoning this thread and reading it from start to finish because trains are awesome.

I love trains, specifically steam trains. Diesel and electric trains are cool just from a sheer "HUGE AND LOUD NOISES AND PULL HEAVY STUFF" point of view, but I really dig steam trains. I just like their design aesthetics and seeing all the pistons and connecting rods move and everything, I think it's awesome.

When I was a kid growing up in Connecticut, there was some railway museum or something and you could actually have birthday parties on a trolley car in motion as it went down a length of track and back. I think I had like 2 or 3 birthdays there. :toot:
One year they even let me climb up into one of the diesel engines and toot the whistle. I can't remember how young I was, but I know it blew my goddamn mind.

I had an HO-gauge train layout in my basement that my mother and I built, it was about the size of 2 full-size pool tables laid together in an L-shape, it was the coolest thing ever. It had a functioning turntable, a huge track switchboard, all kinds of poo poo. It's currently disassembled and in my parents' garage (we moved to Arizona when I was 12 and took it with us), waiting for me to have a place big enough to put it all back together.

Lately I've been picking up a bunch of these static N-scale models just because they look cool and I've been getting them dirt-cheap on eBay. I've been specifically getting the steam engines, I don't care much for the diesel or electric ones. I did grab the 6/6 Crocodile just because it's so funky-looking.

I've found it interesting to poke around on wikipedia and see how accurate the models are, and sometimes they make some of the wackiest mistakes. I've seen people on model railroad forums completely sperg-out over the inaccuracies, but frankly since I'm buying these things often for literally $3 a pop, I don't exactly give a poo poo. It's neat to know the "errors" for my own knowledge, but the models themselves are still cool-looking and accomplish what I want them to. :)

Also this thread has gone 21 pages without any mention of the best and most ridiculous locomotive story ever: the Great Locomotive Chase. I seriously want to write up a movie script for it - I wouldn't even have to embellish it much.

It also helps that the locomotive that was stolen is classy as gently caress.

I mean look at that fuckin' thing. Look at it.

Also this is quite possibly one of my favorite historical photos of all time:

If I could go back in time and insert myself in any historical photo, it would definitely be that one. It's enough of a "where's waldo" anyway that a hypothetical time-traveler could likely pull it off. :v:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 27, 2012

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Xenomrph posted:

but I really dig steam trains.

Have a gratuitous Big Boy picture

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Cygni posted:

I wish there were pictures like that of the Allegheny. Those are by far my favorite locomotive. I'm sure more than a few people here have been to the B&O Railroad museum and seen the one they have on display there, but for those of you that haven't, the sheer size of the thing is awe-inspiring. I wish they had the money and desire to restore it to working condition.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Big Boy is completely ridiculous and I love it. Duplex (and triplex) steam engines are absolutely kickass. I've been looking at a Revell model kit of the Big Boy just because if I actually wanted to get a powered model train version it'd cost me a shitton.

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy
I seem to remember there was a documentary on you tube about the steam trains in africa running in the early 2000s, and how difficult it is to fix them because they can't find spare parts.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

People often don't grasp just how big... the Big Boy is.

Photo - Joe Fontana
Model - Karyn Karabec
MUAH - Cheryl Crist

From a set of shots that a friend of mine did out at Steamtown in Scranton, PA. Check out more here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150423223554031.388230.85440539030&type=3

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Cygni posted:

There's one in a rail museum in Green Bay. It's impossible to get a side-view because you can't stand back far enough.

Bow TIE Fighter fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 29, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

bisticles posted:

People often don't grasp just how big... the Big Boy is.

Photo - Joe Fontana
Model - Karyn Karabec
MUAH - Cheryl Crist

From a set of shots that a friend of mine did out at Steamtown in Scranton, PA. Check out more here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150423223554031.388230.85440539030&type=3

There's gotta be some sort of forced perspective going on here, the top of the rail is nearly at her knee. Not that I'm saying the big boy is small but the perspective makes her look 3 foot 5.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

trouser chili posted:

There's gotta be some sort of forced perspective going on here, the top of the rail is nearly at her knee. Not that I'm saying the big boy is small but the perspective makes her look 3 foot 5.

The rail might be taller than usual, and I believe the ballast slopes down pretty drastically, but the wheels are 5.5' wide. I had a hard time believing it was real as well. Plus, the fact that the plumbing goes halfway up the tank kind of makes you feel like you're looking at the undercarriage of the thing. Plus, I believe the sharpness of the picture does a bit of a reverse-tilt-shift type of effect.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Telven posted:

I seem to remember there was a documentary on you tube about the steam trains in africa running in the early 2000s, and how difficult it is to fix them because they can't find spare parts.

Pretty much all steam locomotives are like that. Modern rolling stock is incredibly modular in comparison. The railway museum I'm involved with is gradually restoring a small Union Pacific steam locomotive (to operation), and it's been a really slow process. At one point I asked one of the guys working on it what was the most time-consuming part of it, and his answer was "Well we're working on putting it back together, but it doesn't want to be put back together."

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Let me guess, IRM?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

bytebark posted:

Pretty much all steam locomotives are like that. Modern rolling stock is incredibly modular in comparison. The railway museum I'm involved with is gradually restoring a small Union Pacific steam locomotive (to operation), and it's been a really slow process. At one point I asked one of the guys working on it what was the most time-consuming part of it, and his answer was "Well we're working on putting it back together, but it doesn't want to be put back together."

On top of that, most roads "customized" their engines. Meaning a 4-8-4 from one road could not change parts with another 4-8-4. Even today, its still the same thing. CSX engines are completely different than UP engines. Even new Canadian National engines do not have AC, and the Mexican roads have no heaters.

Its like building a hot road, sure maybe its a chevy 350 motor, but every thing else is all your work.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

On top of that, most roads "customized" their engines. Meaning a 4-8-4 from one road could not change parts with another 4-8-4. Even today, its still the same thing. CSX engines are completely different than UP engines. Even new Canadian National engines do not have AC, and the Mexican roads have no heaters.

Its like building a hot road, sure maybe its a chevy 350 motor, but every thing else is all your work.

Steam Locos are truly the definition of "bespoke" manufacture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

sorry, not true
http://www.cn.ca/en/media-news-acquire-locomotives-20120322.htm

quote:

true for heavy haul tractors. not true for modern locomotives. they share a common engine, generator, electrical locker, traction motors, underframe, hoods, cab, cooling system, equipement rack, and radiator section. the only real choices the railways have are small things like trucks (radial or standard), gear ratio, handrails, deck plates, and cab appurtenances.