Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Last game of my development league season tonight, and we are winless in this league. Here's to hoping we have 2 full lines show up for a change. The team we are playing haven't lost yet (and are moving up next season) so spoiling their streak would be super sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Aniki posted:

Edit: I'm not sure about the validity of a goal before the whistle, but it would probably be up the ref's descretion or like I said before, maybe he used the crease violation to cover up for a mistake that he made?

Normally they stand down below the goal line to make these calls, and the ref who waved it off was over on the half boards, so it's definitely a possibility that he missed the call and then used the crease violation to cover that up.

Ahhh well, can't cry over spilled milk, I just normally am not used to the refs making that bad of a mistake.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Brettbot posted:

Found a beginner hockey clinic in my area that starts next month, 13 weeks on Sunday nights. :) Only problem is that it goes from 9:20 to 10:20 PM, when I have to be up at 4:30 the next morning.

:staredog:

Still wanna do it.

Signed up tonight! :woop: Here goes nothing!

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Brettbot posted:

Welcome to the getting-home-at-11:50pm-working-at-5:00am club!
1.) Cold beer is in the bucket.
2.) Last man out locks the room.
3.) Missed that breakaway? = buy 5 pucks for the team.

:cool:

Seriously, congrats. You'll never regret it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seriously. Signing up for hockey is the best decision I made in the last 12 months.

I'd skate every goddamn day if I could manage the ice time.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

bewbies posted:

USA hockey rule on the crease is that any time any opposing player is anywhere in the crease at any time without the puck it is a whistle and a faceoff, no exceptions (this is an area where it differs from the NHL, where you can be in the crease as long as you're not messing with the goalie). If no one on your team was ever in the crease then it was a blown call, but if someone was at any time prior to the shot being taken then it was correct.

Does a stick in the "airspace" of the crease but not on the ice count as a crease violation? We had a goal waived off because of that a while ago. I don't think it affected the game but there was definitely some :raise: going around the bench.

It was also one of our worse refs making the call so we were extra incredulous.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Brettbot posted:

Congrats! You'll love it. Signing up for my LTP class was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I just wish I did it 10 years ago.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sevorak posted:

Does a stick in the "airspace" of the crease but not on the ice count as a crease violation? We had a goal waived off because of that a while ago. I don't think it affected the game but there was definitely some :raise: going around the bench.

In the crease is only your skates. Stick doesnt count.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

sevorak posted:

Officially, you're not allowed to have your stick in there, but it's very, VERY rare to see anyone give enough of a poo poo to call it:

The USA Hockey rulebook posted:

A face-off shall be conducted at the nearest neutral zone faceoff spot anytime an attacking player stands, holds his stick, or skates through the goal crease provided the puck is in the attacking zone, the attacking team has possession of the puck and the goalkeeper is in contact with the crease. No goal may be scored with an attacking player in the goal crease unless the puck has preceded the player(s) into the goal crease or the goalkeeper is out of the goal crease area.

As for the whole "airspace" thing:

The USA Hockey rulebook posted:

The goal crease area shall include all the space outlined by the semi-circular crease lines (including crease lines) and extending vertically to the level of the top of the goal frame.

So yeah, technically it was a good call, but most refs (especially in beer league) don't call it, so YMMV.

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
Ah cool, thanks for that. This ref is known for calling every ticky tack penalty but I guess she made the right call. I'm not sure if I prefer that or the refs that won't call anything until someone's head gets taken off.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Seriously. Signing up for hockey is the best decision I made in the last 12 months.

I'd skate every goddamn day if I could manage the ice time.

Me too. I'm so glad I finally did it! I will say, however, that any time I comment that "i should have done it years ago" is immediately tempered by the fact that I couldn't afford it when in grad school. :smith:

EDIT:

Seriously, I may suck balls, but it so much fun, even when you suck. Also, there's always someone worse than you! :v: I'm now to the level where the other coaches are using me as an example to the newbies as "he was where you were just a short while ago". :smug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool:
- My Bronze team is moving to Silver B.
- I just got an opportunity to sub for a Silver A team.

Uncool:
- Since I'm registered for Silver A, I'm no longer eligible to sandbag in Bronze :smith:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cool:
- My Bronze team is moving to Silver B.
- I just got an opportunity to sub for a Silver A team.

Uncool:
- Since I'm registered for Silver A, I'm no longer eligible to sandbag in Bronze :smith:

Life is all about throwing down and competition. Good luck!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But sandbagging is a time honored beer league tradition. :smith:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
My hockey PE starts in a week. We probably won't do a huge amount of skating on the first day but then again I really don't know what to expect from the class. I'm super excited, though.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

But sandbagging is a time honored beer league tradition. :smith:

We have one goalie in our division that was forcibly moved to a higher division, because of this. He's pissed. :)

Tonight I get to sub for the team that beat my regular team on Sunday. :ohdear:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played a playoff double header last night and played two of the hardest hockey games I think I've ever played. It was no checking but I definitely received my fair share of open ice hits and high sticks. Without a cage, I would have easily lost my teeth/nose last night.

The first game was nice, we played too quick but we ended up winning the game and causing us to play a second game that night.

The second game was a team who'se been known for sandbagging the league. Last year we beat them in the championship game which felt great but they were without their 2 best players. This time, we were without our two best players and they had 2 full lines (roller).

They were hitting hard, passed well, outplayed our offense and defense, but then towards the end when it was clear we were going to lose the game, just started playing keep away. I got irritated and called the guy a pussy and told him that if he didn't want to play hockey, he should have taken a seat on the bench. The next time I was near him, I got behind him and lifted his stick right over the boards.

We ended up getting a goal towards the end but our goalie was long past caring so the score was disgustingly unbalanced.

Welp, that season was fun now Im looking to get back onto the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has anyone ever heard of Heartland Hockey, or attended it? Because it sounds loving badass:

http://www.heartlandhockey.com/adults.htm

7 days of nothing but hockey with 7 hours of available ice time every day? Plus a 6-to-1 coach ratio and video review?

Sign me the gently caress up.. assuming it's not impossible to get on the list.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Has anyone ever heard of Heartland Hockey, or attended it? Because it sounds loving badass:

http://www.heartlandhockey.com/adults.htm

7 days of nothing but hockey with 7 hours of available ice time every day? Plus a 6-to-1 coach ratio and video review?

Yeah, that sounds pretty awesome.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

It's not run by USA Hockey so you've got a shot! :haw:

I don't care how many people get it

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I'll probably do that next year. Sounds fun.

Hockey camp as a kid was really enjoyable. I hope they do overspeed training.

Also that 7hrs of ice time. You will be lucky to use 5 of it. Your feet are going to be so raw and your body so tired.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Also that 7hrs of ice time. You will be lucky to use 5 of it. Your feet are going to be so raw and your body so tired.

No doubt, but the fact that there's going to be a sheet of ice just sitting there waiting for me if I want to use it is enough.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

No doubt, but the fact that there's going to be a sheet of ice just sitting there waiting for me if I want to use it is enough.

There is this in Lake Placid, just FYI.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Just had what may be my last skate for a long time. I of course cut my finger wide open drying off my blades. First time I ever even cut myself on em and I run my finger along them all the time. Probably should have gotten stitches, but that's for pussies. :smug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

There is this in Lake Placid, just FYI.

Man you guys aren't going to give up until I go to Lack Placid, are you? :v:

If you're talking about the one that Can/Am runs I saw that too.. but their current calendar makes it look like they don't run a week long camp there. The 7 day one is up in Canada.

Based on the syllabus they give, I think I like the Heartland one better.

A third one I found that does a better job traveling around the country is weekend warriors:

http://www.weekendwarriorshockey.com/

Upside: they visit Chicago. Downside: no 7 day hockey overdose.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A bunch of my teammates did the Weekend Warrior up in Tahoe and said it was great.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

JetsGuy posted:

Just had what may be my last skate for a long time. I of course cut my finger wide open drying off my blades. First time I ever even cut myself on em and I run my finger along them all the time. Probably should have gotten stitches, but that's for pussies. :smug:
Wash it out, keep it clean, friend. Lots of tap water, mild soap.

You really should probably get some stitches. Where is the cut? When was your last tetanus?

The stitches really help it heal normal instead of all jacked up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

coldwind posted:

Wash it out, keep it clean, friend. Lots of tap water, mild soap.

You really should probably get some stitches. Where is the cut? When was your last tetanus?

The stitches really help it heal normal instead of all jacked up.

"Wide open" probably was a tad of an overstatement, but it wasn't just a minor cut either. By the time I got home the skin flap I created had already dried together.

It's on the tip of my forefinger, and my last tetanus was a few months ago.

EDIT:

There's an old family story of my grandfather, who was a painter. He was making a frame one day, and cut the tip of his finger clean off. He picked it up, blew off the sawdust, plopped it back on with a bandaid. Somehow, it reattached itself, and he had this lovely black line around his finger the rest of his life.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

You guys are way too serious.

lol HZ's team is known for this at the rink fyi

a little birdie told me~~

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

hahaha

We've got a few guys that... enjoy winning.... a LOT. I can see them wanting to jump ship once we start getting hammered in Silver next season.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

sellouts posted:

Hockey camp as a kid was really enjoyable. I hope they do overspeed training.

Hockey camps own. I did Can/Am up in Lake Placid for a few years, then did Greg Carter, which was absolutely insane (for my admittedly low skill level). 6 hours of ice time every day for a week was amazing, though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vicas posted:

Hockey camps own. I did Can/Am up in Lake Placid for a few years, then did Greg Carter, which was absolutely insane (for my admittedly low skill level). 6 hours of ice time every day for a week was amazing, though.

Would love your recommendations as to bars/restaurants/anything in Lake Placid and the surrounding area.

We won 4v4 again last night for the third time in a row and the first time as an underdog. Then I think I was able to poach their best players to join us in 5v5 silver B. Win/win.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

lol HZ's team is known for this at the rink fyi

a little birdie told me~~

Furthermore, how serious business could we possibly be putting me in net for your 3v3 tourney? ;)

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 30, 2012

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Had my last game of the season in one of my leagues last night, and the last summer clinic was Tuesday. Its going to feel very weird being home at night next week :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure I've said this before, but eating lunch and staring at an empty ice rink that just had a double cut is the worst thing. :smith:

It seems a shame to not use all that ice as soon as it's ready.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Sick as a dog, class all day until 10pm, then a playoff game at 10:45pm. :smith:

We won last game 7-6 in OT when I was feeling alright. Got a few goals and actually scored a potential game winner with about 40 seconds left but they disallowed it because the other team had a delayed penalty and they thought they gained possession when in reality I stick-lifted their defender and shelved it!

Excited, but really not feeling well. If we win, we go to the esteemed ~Silver B Championship~.

I'm looking to move up in level next season and hopefully pay a little less (we play with 8+goalie), anyone going to be looking for players in the Bay Area?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

sellouts posted:

Would love your recommendations as to bars/restaurants/anything in Lake Placid and the surrounding area.

We won 4v4 again last night for the third time in a row and the first time as an underdog. Then I think I was able to poach their best players to join us in 5v5 silver B. Win/win.

My family stopped vacationing in Lake Placid when I was maybe 15, so I couldn't tell you much about the bar scene. If you're into craft beer, I really like Lake Placid Brewery, and they have a pub right by Mirror Lake near the Olympic complex. I haven't been there but I've heard good things, and their Ubu Ale is great.

Other than that it's been about 7 years, so I can't really remember the places we'd go out to eat up there. My aunt had a condo right on Lake Placid, so we'd spend most of it doing barbecues and lake stuff instead of going out much.

In other news I got a helmet today, and that's all my gear sorted out. I probably could use a new stick, since both of mine are old and one is pretty beat up, but I'll see what it feels like to play on it before I make that call. I'm super excited. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Furthermore, how serious business could we possibly be putting me in net for your 3v3 tourney? ;)

yeah but that's not part of the hunt for the Stanley Cup aka the skatetown bronze league championship

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

quote:

You are receiving this message because you are currently enrolled in PE 1551 Intermediate Ice Hockey. Unfortunately we are cancelling the section due to very low enrollment (9). We will offer it again in the spring in hopes that we have sufficient numbers for this class.

We apologize for the inconvenience. There are many other PE classes which have open spaces so feel free to try another option. The vast majority of PE classes have not started yet this semester.

Andrea Dutcher
Director of Physical Education

:suicide:

Welp, now you're looking at the newest member of Introduction to Ice Hockey, assuming they let me play. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darn sandbaggers always making the newbies feel like poo poo. t:mad:

It surprises me they don't roll the intermediate into the beginner class, and just have a second coach or whatever do higher level drills at the other end of the rink. That's how my learn to play does it.