Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Karnegal posted:

Flat rate boxes are your friends (sometimes).

There are even Board Game Specific Flat Rate Boxes as posted in the trading thread. They claim to hold 2 games but not sure if that means 2 monopoly boxes or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Trastion posted:

There are even Board Game Specific Flat Rate Boxes as posted in the trading thread. They claim to hold 2 games but not sure if that means 2 monopoly boxes or what?

Looks like it can fit 1 GMT armor box and a regular box.

EDIT: The thing can't fit 2 armor boxes.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Moogs posted:

In addition to what GrandpaPants said, there's a board game trading thread in SA-Mart that I've had good luck with (hell, I made it!). Check that out as well, and keep it within the SA community!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501008

I'll check that out for sure. What's funny to me is a lot of my trade list matches what you had, Hansa, Doom, Aquadukt, and (maybe) Hoity Toity.

That $15 shipping though just seems like such a buzz-kill for online trades to me. Looking at my Tanga order history, I got Hansa for $13 shipped originally, and Aquadukt for $10 shipped (I split the orders with multiple people to save on shipping).

I'll probably still write up a post for that thread later, maybe I'll find some way to do a cheaper trade, maybe there's some local Seattle people who read that thread that I could just meet up with and trade.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been running into that a lot lately. I see a game for $35, which might be $50 at my FLGS. I put it in the cart, and it's $20 shipping. I go on Amazon, and the ones that offer it for $35 don't use the Amazon free shipping, instead it costs $20. The ones that offer it with the free Amazon shipping are charging $60 for it.

I go the route of buying games used for $15-30 and $5 shipping when I can on BGG. Otherwise my FLGS gets my cash. Unless you're spending over $100 I haven't found buying games at online stores worth the bother.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The other day I got Qwirkle on Amazon for $18 and Prime eligible. A quick search showed 7 Wonders, Cataan, Dominion, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Elder Sign, and Small World all for $8-$12 less than retail and all Prime eligible. I guess if you want more obscure stuff buy $100 at a time from CSI to get free shipping?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, mostly wargames and such.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Often times I feel like this

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

The General posted:

Oh god there are so many times I've felt like that.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
When items are shipping to stores does that usually include an allotment for Amazon? I'm thinking of Netrunner, which according to the FFG site is currently shipping to stores. As of now Amazon has it listed as currently unavailable. It hasn't been available yet right, for like pre-order or anything?

They also don't seem to be coming to PAX, which I guess isn't really a surprise. Unless they are and I missed something.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Stealthed Zombie posted:

When items are shipping to stores does that usually include an allotment for Amazon? I'm thinking of Netrunner, which according to the FFG site is currently shipping to stores. As of now Amazon has it listed as currently unavailable. It hasn't been available yet right, for like pre-order or anything?

They also don't seem to be coming to PAX, which I guess isn't really a surprise. Unless they are and I missed something.

Since most things purported to come from Amazon are actually sent to Amazon by the stores, I imagine Amazon will get it a day or two after stores do.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

I had fun but I can't compare it to Wings of War because I never played that. Please tell me more about Wings. What's it like compared to X-wing exactly? Does it do WWII or just WWI (would much rather have II)? Can I begin playing it cheaply?

There are WWI and WWII versions. I like the WWI better because the balance feels more like I imagine dogfighting to be, and less 'Welp, we're both out of gas, so it's time to fly home. Same time tomorrow?' I'm pretty sure it's all out of print now so it's probably tough to get. 'Check Your Six!' is a great rules set for WWII minis. It gives you more choices to make that Wings of War but plays very similarly. The basics are the same as X-wing. You have a plane and a pilot; you pick maneuvers, you roll dice, you curse die rolls. There are some big differences though. Weapons have different powers and ranges. In X-wing, you have a number of dice to roll, those dice have a certain percentage of hits, crits, eyes (are they called eyes? We were just calling them eyes) and blanks. Everyone has the same range with the same effects. There's no auto-dodge in Wings, which I hate in X-wing. You're telling me 'green' maneuvers like straight, level flight make you harder to hit? Are they kidding me? Another big difference is the altitude and speed of your craft are kept track of in Wings. I guess they are going for a more space feel in X-wing, but how does that translate to being LESS 3D than WWI fighters? In Wings, have a certain altitude which determines who you can shoot at, as well as gives you options for special moves like power dives to pick up speed. Ok, X-wing lacks gravity so no need for dives, but who the hell can your Tie fighter be going full speed, and then suddenly go backwards without even slowing down; but there is no provision for stopping? The rules about collisions in X-wing also make me sad. Move back until you're not colliding any more? What happened to it being 3D space? Also, in Star Wars movies, ships crash into each other constantly. How is this not a mechanic they built into the game? The asteroids not blocking LOS and not really doing much damage also makes me sad. You're telling me a ship crashing into and taking max damage from an asteroid is still flying around, just with a busted fender?
Ok, that's already way more than anyone wants to read about my thoughts about X-wing.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Gilgamesh posted:

Since most things purported to come from Amazon are actually sent to Amazon by the stores, I imagine Amazon will get it a day or two after stores do.

Figured, just wasn't sure. Also saw FFG logo on the supporters bar for PAX so maybe they are there after all, but no idea if they'll have copies for sale.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Acinonyx posted:

There are WWI and WWII versions. I like the WWI better because the balance feels more like I imagine dogfighting to be, and less 'Welp, we're both out of gas, so it's time to fly home. Same time tomorrow?' I'm pretty sure it's all out of print now so it's probably tough to get. 'Check Your Six!' is a great rules set for WWII minis. It gives you more choices to make that Wings of War but plays very similarly. The basics are the same as X-wing. You have a plane and a pilot; you pick maneuvers, you roll dice, you curse die rolls. There are some big differences though. Weapons have different powers and ranges. In X-wing, you have a number of dice to roll, those dice have a certain percentage of hits, crits, eyes (are they called eyes? We were just calling them eyes) and blanks. Everyone has the same range with the same effects. There's no auto-dodge in Wings, which I hate in X-wing. You're telling me 'green' maneuvers like straight, level flight make you harder to hit? Are they kidding me? Another big difference is the altitude and speed of your craft are kept track of in Wings. I guess they are going for a more space feel in X-wing, but how does that translate to being LESS 3D than WWI fighters? In Wings, have a certain altitude which determines who you can shoot at, as well as gives you options for special moves like power dives to pick up speed. Ok, X-wing lacks gravity so no need for dives, but who the hell can your Tie fighter be going full speed, and then suddenly go backwards without even slowing down; but there is no provision for stopping? The rules about collisions in X-wing also make me sad. Move back until you're not colliding any more? What happened to it being 3D space? Also, in Star Wars movies, ships crash into each other constantly. How is this not a mechanic they built into the game? The asteroids not blocking LOS and not really doing much damage also makes me sad. You're telling me a ship crashing into and taking max damage from an asteroid is still flying around, just with a busted fender?
Ok, that's already way more than anyone wants to read about my thoughts about X-wing.

Actually this is really useful for me -- I would want to be able to have space battles akin to the ones in the movies. That is what I would want a game that says "X-Wing" on it to do for me. If it doesn't do that, I'd honestly rather be doing WWI dogfights with rules that make pokey stalling planes fun.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

Philthy posted:

I've been running into that a lot lately. I see a game for $35, which might be $50 at my FLGS. I put it in the cart, and it's $20 shipping. I go on Amazon, and the ones that offer it for $35 don't use the Amazon free shipping, instead it costs $20. The ones that offer it with the free Amazon shipping are charging $60 for it.

I go the route of buying games used for $15-30 and $5 shipping when I can on BGG. Otherwise my FLGS gets my cash. Unless you're spending over $100 I haven't found buying games at online stores worth the bother.

I'm a Myriad Games MVP member and just automatically deposit $25 a month with them to hold in store credit (which helps with my budgeting). The prices are straight retail, but with the bonus bucks they offer for being an MVP member for ever purchase you make, it equates to bout 15-20% off everything you buy. Also, I get free shipping 2 out of every 3 months.

Also, their customer service is super de dooper amazing. Dan will sit on the phone with you and help set up a list in their system of games that you are LIKELY to want and contact you to ask if you want them put aside and added to an order for you. Really great service, they've taken care of me with everything I've ever asked them to do.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

The General posted:

The group I GM for and play board games with got me that on a shirt. I'm not sure if there's a message there or not...

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

A year or however long it was later, the Glory to Rome Black Box Edition arrived at my door. It almost didn't arrive, as evidenced by the giant tear in the back of the package. All the damage reports in that thread (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/846200/black-box-damage/) were basically true for my copy as well. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty :spergin: when it comes to component quality, but the game seriously looks used upon first opening it. It's bizarre. It's totally fine to play and I can't wait, but man, it's just kind of ridiculous how poorly this campaign continues to go for them.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Still waiting for my copy. But I almost feel I've gotten my money's worth in entertainment. I've never gotten such an up-close look at incompetence, desperation, and hucksterism. It's like the company is run by Lionel Hutz.

Lately, I've been enjoying the butt-hurt tone in their emails and posts when they complain about people complaining. They also recently blamed delays on the flu. And for some reason, they keep bringing up how they're losing money, which I guess makes sense, but I wouldn't use it as a shield against criticism.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

Lately, I've been enjoying the butt-hurt tone in their emails and posts when they complain about people complaining.

Yep.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
Best post in that thread:

a bgger posted:

Today, a year and five days after funding, my copy, packaged in a bubble-envelope, was dropped on my doorstep here in The Midwest USA.

I was pleased to discover that the game was not smeared with feces.

edited just to add:
I mean literally, no feces in the package nor the game box itself. So that is a good thing. I will write a full post mortem of this experience after a few plays of the game.

edited again to add:
I should clarify that I have not done a Black Light inspection of the Black Box, only a visual inspection. So I can only confirm that no CGF employee took a dump in my game box. Having not performed any other tests on the matter I can not rule anything else out. Perhaps before sealing my gamebox in the bubble-mailer they Dutch-ovened it. I have no way of knowing. Perhaps my box may have been stink-palmed. If so, I'd like to think it was from Amber, rather than Topherr.
But again: All I have to report on right now is that there is no visual trace of feces on my Black Box.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

PlaneGuy posted:

Best post in that thread:

Sometimes I bemoan BGG because I worry it is incapable of satire or irony, and consists almost exclusively of echo-chamber circle-jerking.

Then sometimes it surprises me. That is hilarious.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I really wanted the black box to be good :saddowns: I really like the minimalist art style and have heard so much good stuff about the game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Glory to Rome Kickstarter looks like the biggest clusterfuck imaginable. Chronically late, the game is apparently printed on cardstock with bull semen, retailers getting copies (at 1/2 the KS price) before backers.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

bobvonunheil posted:

Sometimes I bemoan BGG because I worry it is incapable of satire or irony, and consists almost exclusively of echo-chamber circle-jerking.

Then sometimes it surprises me. That is hilarious.

Yeah, but whatever that quote about "stinkpalming" and "Amber" is, it's more than a little creepy. Though as far as nerdy forums go, BGG seems to be one of the less creepy and misogynistic I've encountered.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

SinetheGuy posted:

Yeah, but whatever that quote about "stinkpalming" and "Amber" is, it's more than a little creepy. Though as far as nerdy forums go, BGG seems to be one of the less creepy and misogynistic I've encountered.

Until you find a picture of a young-ish woman looking sideways at a boardgame. Then the comments go all :catstare:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Until you find a picture of a young-ish woman looking sideways at a boardgame. Then the comments go all :catstare:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/all?username=&sort=hot&date=alltime&gallery=people&tag=&licensefilter=&B1=Go

Comments are locked for this item

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

As a long time RSP shitposter you can find plenty of creepy and misogynistic posts. It is like LF met Helldump.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

Also, it's really difficult to find local shops that buy / sell used games. I ask at nearly every game shop I go to, and the answer has always been no so far. I don't know how people do this with eBay / other online sources, often shipping is more than the cost of the game itself.

The trick with eBay is to make sure that whatever you're selling can fit into a flat rate priority mail shipping box. There's one that's specifically made for board games, and although it isn't perfect a lot of stuff will fit into it.

I've also doubled up, two games in one box. That goes over pretty well, so long as the games are of a similar genre.

But if you're cool with trading BGG has been pretty good to me.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Agronox posted:

The trick with eBay is to make sure that whatever you're selling can fit into a flat rate priority mail shipping box. There's one that's specifically made for board games, and although it isn't perfect a lot of stuff will fit into it.

I've also doubled up, two games in one box. That goes over pretty well, so long as the games are of a similar genre.

But if you're cool with trading BGG has been pretty good to me.

Assuming I asked somebody to just throw all the bits into one big box, how many more games do you think one of those boxes could hold?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Sherrard posted:

As a long time RSP shitposter you can find plenty of creepy and misogynistic posts. It is like LF met Helldump.

This man speaks the truth. RSP is the worst, but yet for some unknown reason, I can't help to read it daily while punching myself in the nuts. I have learned that boardgames attract a surprising amount of conservative and religious fans.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

This man speaks the truth. RSP is the worst, but yet for some unknown reason, I can't help to read it daily while punching myself in the nuts. I have learned that boardgames attract a surprising amount of conservative and religious fans.

Well, Tom Vasel, the most popular guy, doesn't believe in evolution or something and was upset about how DARK Ascension Chronicle of the GODSLAYER is.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

The General posted:

Assuming I asked somebody to just throw all the bits into one big box, how many more games do you think one of those boxes could hold?

Well I'm not sure about box dimensions, but if you had a box you wanted to fill with death angels for whatever reason. You could say have a box that fits 5 copies. But that box is really hamming up the space (even though I really like the packaging, it's spiffy) its just 2 decks of cards, manual, handful of dice. There is the space for an entire deck in that box, so for every box you could fit, there would be room for another half of the games components per box. So you'd end up with 5 more games in the box, with a bag holding all the dice together, and just stacking the papers (or laying em out).

The real issue is just making sure everything can be fit snug into the box to prevent any damage, even from simple handling you just don't want to dump 5 games into the box with all the cards loose, tiny plastic bayonets getting bent, and slap it out the door.

People just gotta start pizza boxing board games, you'll get colored bags with all the games you ordered components, and you take out the flat fold-able boxes to store the games in a nice presentable package.

I'm thinking the real benefit of just tossing the box to save on shipping depends on the game. If the box is packed to the brim, you might be shaving off a few inches here and there but could risk exposing the components to harm, just depends how much room you gotta make. Could save a ton of space if it is a situation where plastic "bins" are holding all the components in an organized manner, and are making room for a bunch of drat air.

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 30, 2012

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Kiranamos posted:

Well, Tom Vasel, the most popular guy, doesn't believe in evolution or something and was upset about how DARK Ascension Chronicle of the GODSLAYER is.

Killing god with terrible colored pencil art is pretty cruel and savage.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Kiranamos posted:

And he was also upset with "Chaos in the Old World". If anyone hasn't, I would suggest watching the review once just to watch Vasel and his short fat dude whine about destroying the Warhammer world.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Cocks Cable posted:

I never scrolled down to the bottom of the forum list. I guess I stand corrected. Oh my.

I figure that board gaming, as a hobby, tends to attract people who are more interested in family-oriented hobbies, and at the same time "family-oriented" is basically a conservative code word in America. I kinda figured there's a vague correlation there. But to be honest, the RSP subforum's threads seem to be mostly anti-conservative/GOP, even if they also include a lot of Christian content.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 30, 2012

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can I take a moment to say that I'm sorta baffled as to why Vasel's reviews are as popular as they are? I mean, they work pretty well as an introduction to a game, its mechanics, and its components, but the actual review part of it consists of like a line or two saying that it's fun because it encourages direct conflict or something worthless like that. There is like nothing there to actually base a purchase decision off that the rulebook doesn't already give you.

They're not even well-produced or anything, so maybe it is just one of those things that I do not get, like Coldplay or sweet potato fries.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
As it starts to get cooler out and the days begin shortening, I have migrated back to my winter hobby... board games.

Right now we've got Axis and Allies: War at Sea set up on my gaming table. Slowly playing through that, since during the week we are usually too tired to actually play a board game all in one go.. even one as easy as that.

In addition, I broke down and bought a few new games.. Leviathans, Dust Warfare's rulebook (already have the original starter set, played the hell out of that), and Formula D. God I love Formula D.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

SquadronROE posted:

God I love Formula D.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? :)

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

That was easily worth the 5bux.

To give this post some content did any con-goers get to demo Mice and Mystics and would be able to tell us all about it?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Trastion posted:

A lot, but it's a colorful racing game with a vaguely clever mechanic, which is very easy to pick up and play in a large group of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Trastion posted:

Formula D is a push your luck game wrapped in a very attractive racing wrapper. Since dice are ultimate assholes in luck, it creates a tense experience of rolling the dice. There is that 1/10 chance that you're rolling 20, and exploding horribly vs the 9/10 of vastly improving your position.

Edit:
It also requires planning ahead. Larger corners can really slow you down if you don't take them properly. You build your own car and be able to play to your style.

The General fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 30, 2012

• Locked thread