Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
If you have an international, Sprint, or AT&T (not Skyrocket) Galaxy S II, the official ICS update comes with a buggy recovery mode. If you format a partition on the phone from that recovery, it sends a command that permanently destroys the onboard flash memory instead of just erasing it.

You can avoid that problem by installing a third party kernel. If you don't care about tripping the non-stock-software indicator, you can flash the kernel from your computer directly with Heimdall or Odin. If you do, the process is a little more involved but not much, you instead flash the kernel from inside Android. Can't say I know anything about the one-click root packages.

e: I should probably mention why it's a concern - you would erase partitions when switching ROMs. If you're happy with the stock Samsung firmware, you can just install a pre-rooted filesystem package and not worry about the kernel. If you're going to want to try out different cooked ROMs or complete systems like CyanogenMod or AOKP, you'll need to use a third-party kernel to get there.

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Nastyman posted:

I'm thinking about rooting my Galaxy S2, but I have some doubts. I just updated to 4.0.4, and from what I can find on google there's some kind of "brick bug" but nothing that told me what it actually was or what to look out for. Is there something I need to know about this? Or can I just try SuperOneClick without worrying that it's gonna turn my phone into a doorstop? :ohdear:

e: I did find something in this very thread about just dropping a rom on the flash card and not worrying about having root control. Would this be sufficient for someone who's completely green about rooting or would I still be limited to unrooted market apps and the same old settings I always had?

You can look up 'eMMC check' on Play Store to find out whether you have the good or bad chip (the app uses some weird wording, but should work nonetheless).

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

i barely GNU her! posted:

If you have an international, Sprint, or AT&T (not Skyrocket) Galaxy S II, the official ICS update comes with a buggy recovery mode. If you format a partition on the phone from that recovery, it sends a command that permanently destroys the onboard flash memory instead of just erasing it.

You can avoid that problem by installing a third party kernel. If you don't care about tripping the non-stock-software indicator, you can flash the kernel from your computer directly with Heimdall or Odin. If you do, the process is a little more involved but not much, you instead flash the kernel from inside Android. Can't say I know anything about the one-click root packages.

e: I should probably mention why it's a concern - you would erase partitions when switching ROMs. If you're happy with the stock Samsung firmware, you can just install a pre-rooted filesystem package and not worry about the kernel. If you're going to want to try out different cooked ROMs or complete systems like CyanogenMod or AOKP, you'll need to use a third-party kernel to get there.

Ah, I'll probably try that then. I was wanting to try out Cyanogen anyway. What do you mean by non-stock-software indicator though? I tried googling it but all I got was a bunch of battery and led apps.

Healbot posted:

You can look up 'eMMC check' on Play Store to find out whether you have the good or bad chip (the app uses some weird wording, but should work nonetheless).

And this. Thanks!

e: Bad chip. Looks like I'm in for some reading.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 26, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Nastyman posted:

Ah, I'll probably try that then. I was wanting to try out Cyanogen anyway. What do you mean by non-stock-software indicator though? I tried googling it but all I got was a bunch of battery and led apps.

If you flash a custom ROM on a Galaxy S II, the very first screen when you boot (where it says Samsung Galaxy S II) has a giant yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it, so repair places will know that you've rooted. There's also an internet counter that can tell them how many times you've flashed.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 26, 2012

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Didn't brick my phone, everything went according to plan. :woop:

Thanks for the help, guys!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you flash a custom ROM on a Galaxy S II, the very first screen when you boot (where it says Samsung Galaxy S II) has a giant yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it, so repair places will know that you've rooted. There's also an internet counter that can tell them how many times you've flashed.

Ah, I'll look into some way of getting rid of that later, I suppose.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
You can reset that screen and the flash counter with a device referred to as a USB jig, which basically shorts out the USB data pins with a 301k-ohm resistor. They're available on eBay or Amazon for like $3. You might need to flash an older bootloader for it to work, which does run a risk of bricking if done incorrectly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

i barely GNU her! posted:

You can reset that screen and the flash counter with a device referred to as a USB jig, which basically shorts out the USB data pins with a 301k-ohm resistor. They're available on eBay or Amazon for like $3. You might need to flash an older bootloader for it to work, which does run a risk of bricking if done incorrectly.
There's also an app called Triangle Away that will do this without a jig.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Attention HTC G2 users!

GEN-X VisionY for the HTC Vision has finally hit RC1! It incorporates the latest Virtuous 3 kernel for Sense 4 roms! The very latest in camera fixes have been added and other bugs have been quashed! So if you've been waiting for a feature complete Sense 4, ICS based rom to hit give it a whirl!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1799376

I'll be posting up a trip report here in the next day or two.

Edit: Well I'd do a trip report if I could get a download that isn't corrupted to gently caress and back so I guess we'll have to hold off on that!

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 28, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
How do you set gvoice to be your voicemail service in CM10? I thought there was an option for 'phone', but I'm not seeing it...

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

deong posted:

How do you set gvoice to be your voicemail service in CM10? I thought there was an option for 'phone', but I'm not seeing it...

Its in the actual phone application.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thanks. I checked gvoice and general settings. Didn't think to look in the phone app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

Thanks. I checked gvoice and general settings. Didn't think to look in the phone app.
Actually though it should be in the phone settings too, I think you have to dialer, three dots to access it on stock.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anybody know why the newest Kang CM10 build for the GS3 removed the "Split SMS automatically" feature? I know there was a setting before in the options to do it but I don't see it anymore.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

explosivo posted:

Anybody know why the newest Kang CM10 build for the GS3 removed the "Split SMS automatically" feature? I know there was a setting before in the options to do it but I don't see it anymore.
Which build are you referring to specifically?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's the newest Euroskank Jellybro nightly that I'm using.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

explosivo posted:

It's the newest Euroskank Jellybro nightly that I'm using.
OK, which SGS3?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:doh:

Sorry, I have the Sprint SG3.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

explosivo posted:

Sorry, I have the Sprint SG3.
Looks like mms_config.xml, which is responsible for enabling the split SMS feature, got garbled up as part of the d2 device configuration merge. Should be fixed in a day or so.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Bringing this over from the Sprint thread:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the latest nightly stable? I've been running 8/15 since it was released because it sounded like the nightlies were a bit less stable. I'd like to upgrade though in hopes that my missing media bug (gallery/music/ringtones) gets fixed. I'm not too hopeful though since I tried the latest AOKP last night and the bug persisted.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't run into issues yet. I think the GPU mess has subsided again for a little while.

Does "System settings", "Developer options", "Launch Tools", "Media Provider", "Scan SD card" fix it?

Otherwise where is your media located and what's the bug about? I'm not aware of it. Might want to move this over to the Rooted thread too.

The issue, which was supposedly caused by ROM Manager (which I hate and wish it wouldn't be baked into ROMs), is that none of my media on the internal (SDCard0) or external (SDCard1) storage gets picked up by media apps. My photos don't show up in the gallery, my music doesn't show up in any app that doesn't specify folders, and my ringtones don't get picked up so I have to work to get them working. The weird thing is, any media that is added after flashing the ROM shows up. If I take a picture, it'll show up in the gallery. If I add some music to my SD Card, it'll show up. The claim was that this was caused by ROM Manager putting a .nomedia file on the root of the internal storage. While the timing seems right, I've long since deleted that file, and it never put the file on my external SD Card so that shouldn't be affected.

I think maybe tonight I will back up my internal storage, remove the SD Card, wipe everything, and upgrade to the newest Nightly and see if that fixes it. At the very least everything should show up because it'll all seem like new media.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think maybe tonight I will back up my internal storage, remove the SD Card, wipe everything, and upgrade to the newest Nightly and see if that fixes it. At the very least everything should show up because it'll all seem like new media.
Go ahead with the backup. But before you blow everything away, try a "Clear data" on Media Storage and reboot, which should blow away the media databases and give them a chance to repopulate.

If that doesn't work, yeah, I'm curious if a complete wipe fixes it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Go ahead with the backup. But before you blow everything away, try a "Clear data" on Media Storage and reboot, which should blow away the media databases and give them a chance to repopulate.

If that doesn't work, yeah, I'm curious if a complete wipe fixes it.

Believe me, I've done just about everything one can think of to fix this. If blowing everything away doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

edit: looks like just doing a clean install of the latest nightly fixed things, without having to wipe storage.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 29, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Looks like mms_config.xml, which is responsible for enabling the split SMS feature, got garbled up as part of the d2 device configuration merge. Should be fixed in a day or so.
The fixes for this have been merged, so split SMS will work again in the 8/29 nightly when it's made. Pester your kang guy if you want a kang build sooner.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sweet, thanks for the help! I could have sworn I saw the option before I updated, glad I'm not going crazy.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Actually I think the option went away in favor of the setting being hardcoded. That is, multipart SMSes can be used on devices that support them, or the Messaging app will split messages automatically before sending them. The problem is that the configuration defaults to "multipart works!" when it really wasn't.

In short, even if you don't see a configuration option for it, it should "just work" in the next nightly.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

While upgrading to the latest CM10 nightly fixed my internal storage problem, I still can't see any media on my external SD Card even though I didn't even have it in the phone when I wiped, flashed and booted. Now I'm afraid to wipe Media Storage in case my internal media doesn't come back. :negative:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there anyway to remove Rom Manager from CM 7.2 completely? I switched to a different recovery but I can only uninstall the updates for Rom Manager, which just causes it to bug me for updates constantly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there anyway to remove Rom Manager from CM 7.2 completely? I switched to a different recovery but I can only uninstall the updates for Rom Manager, which just causes it to bug me for updates constantly.

You don't need to remove Rom Manager. Just don't use it.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

You can just use Titanium Backup to delete it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there a way to forcibly move all applications to be associated with a new google account and delete the old one, without wiping the data on the phone/factory reset? I gave a rooted HTC Desire with Cyanogenmod 7.1 to a friend, and it says it needs to be factory reset to remove my account from it. But the thing is, the phone suffered some kind of damage and it overheats quickly (causing sudden reboots) if the CPU isn't kept underclocked to 800 mhz or less, so executing a factory reset would make it difficult to get that set up again.

For what it's worth I've already uninstalled every app I had installed with my account, except the free cpu underclocking app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Just delete the apk. I've never not deleted it when running CM.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there a way to forcibly move all applications to be associated with a new google account and delete the old one, without wiping the data on the phone/factory reset? I gave a rooted HTC Desire with Cyanogenmod 7.1 to a friend, and it says it needs to be factory reset to remove my account from it. But the thing is, the phone suffered some kind of damage and it overheats quickly (causing sudden reboots) if the CPU isn't kept underclocked to 800 mhz or less, so executing a factory reset would make it difficult to get that set up again.

For what it's worth I've already uninstalled every app I had installed with my account, except the free cpu underclocking app.

Isn't underclocking built-in to CM7?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Not that I've ever been able to discern, no. The ability doesn't show up in SetCPU and OC/UV Beater 2 never had underclocking tabs open on any CM based kernel.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Settings > CM Settings > Performance

There's an option to set the max CPU frequency and enforce it on boot.

This setting would of course be wiped out in a factory reset, but if it is literally the first thing you do after a reset it should be okay.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nimper posted:

Settings > CM Settings > Performance

There's an option to set the max CPU frequency and enforce it on boot.

This setting would of course be wiped out in a factory reset, but if it is literally the first thing you do after a reset it should be okay.

Can't get past the "touch the android" stuff fast enough after a factory reset to do that, or install anything. Only thing that can be done without the CPU governor happening is to kick back to recovery and reload a nandroid of it with my account on it but the cpu governor up and running.

Their phone died so this is to hold them over until they can buy a new smartphone basically. But I'd really prefer to have my account off of it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

Can't get past the "touch the android" stuff fast enough after a factory reset to do that, or install anything. Only thing that can be done without the CPU governor happening is to kick back to recovery and reload a nandroid of it with my account on it but the cpu governor up and running.

Touch the four corners of the screen during the setup wizard to skip it. Start top left and move clockwise, I believe.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Their phone died so this is to hold them over until they can buy a new smartphone basically. But I'd really prefer to have my account off of it.

Add their account, download a different free underclocking app, set the app up, then remove your account?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
e: crisis averted, looks like somehow my battery just got emptied out real fast.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 29, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RVProfootballer posted:

Add their account, download a different free underclocking app, set the app up, then remove your account?

This doesn't work, the phone still demands a factory reset to remove the account.

Tunga posted:

Touch the four corners of the screen during the setup wizard to skip it. Start top left and move clockwise, I believe.

Yeah I tried this but then the Google Apps refuse to install even if I go back and reflash the gapps zip and sign in their account; so it's stuck without Play Store or Maps when doing this.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Can anybody recall what the file is that CM modifies to set the clock speed? Maybe you can go in via ADB to set the clock speed during the first few steps.

Put it in the freezer to give you a few extra seconds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Apparently I wasn't allowed to factory reset my sprint epic 4g touch because it could brick the device or something, so after a little while trying to figure out just what the flying gently caress xda is telling me I'm now rooted.

Anyway long story short I figured I might as well try cyanogenmod since I've read about it before and I'm rooted now, and apparently CM9 alpha 6 is the latest stable version. Or something. At least I think so? This is what I've been led to so far, can I just follow the "Complete install directions" section or is there something else better or what? And what the gently caress is a nightly?

Basically I have no idea what I'm doing at all so please keep that in mind if you explain. I just wanna play around with my phone.