Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

danbanana posted:

Deviant is good. Gubna is great (when available). And when Ten Fidy hits, jump on it. One of the best stouts on the planet.

Really? Gubna tastes like garlic and onions to me. I was so disappointed by it. G'Knight is freaking amazing, though. There's nothing that I know that even tastes similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

I kind of really like the Stone 16th Anniversary IIPA, it's a huge change from Stone's usual hop assaults and is actually more sweet than bitter. The lemon is more sweet than tart, in-fact I get no tartness here, and lingers after the sip, the rye contributes hints of spice on the finish while the hop profile provides a slightly fruity/sweet flavor, but dries out on the finish with a moderate bitterness. I actually prefer this to the Enjoy By, by a nice margin.

I believe it uses only lemon verbena, an herb, not actual lemon. I don't see any mention of actual lemon on Stone's web page.

The beer is excellent, IMO. Lots of complex malt character with the rye, tropical and peachy hop flavors, and an herbal, lemony finish.

escape artist posted:

Really? Gubna tastes like garlic and onions to me.

I agree. It's a polarizing beer. Very heavy-handed with the summit hops.

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 28, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

mysterious frankie posted:

Tried Dale's Pale Ale this weekend and was an anticlimactic first Oskar Blues experience. It's not a bad beer, really; just nothing special and I wouldn't go looking for it if I was in the mood for a pale ale. Looks like the other available beers are Mama's Little Yella Pils, Old Chub and Deviant Dale's; which should I try next?

Despite what they call Dale's it's an IPA to me, I just wanted to say that. I liked G'Night, their imperial Red, and Ten Fidy, but I'd take a $9 four pack of Old Rasputin over a $15 4 pack of Ten Fidy. I personally thought Deviant Dale's was too hoppy to enjoy, something about it just didn't settle with me.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I believe it uses only lemon verbena, an herb, not actual lemon. I don't see any mention of actual lemon on Stone's web page.
I know I saw lemon verbena, but didn't know what that was, good to know.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
So is anyone else going to Boston's Belgian Beer Festival next week? Night of the Funk looks like it's going to be amazing.

http://beeradvocate.com/bbf/friday

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Had almost zero interest in New Belgium starting distribution in Michigan today. Then I was grocery shopping & found they were selling bombers of four New Belgian beers for $2.85 a bottle. How can I possibly say no to that?

(I didn't and bought like four of each kind. poo poo, I'll even buy Fat Tire at that price.)

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

The beer is excellent, IMO. Lots of complex malt character with the rye, tropical and peachy hop flavors, and an herbal, lemony finish.

I think it has lemon oil as well. It says it on the bottle but not the website. So no whole lemons, but still. I really love that beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:cripes:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Oh boy, I'm sure Bell's would be thrilled to see that.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

9 month old Hopslam is a fantastic barley wine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

record cutter posted:

9 month old Hopslam is a fantastic barley wine.

Found that picture in a BA thread where some guy found out his local bar tapped a keg of Founder's Harvest Ale. Fresh as of October 2011. Mmmm.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The point of aging is to enjoy how a beer changes with time, right? Success!!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A case of Sam Adams Octoberfest got lost in my basement for a year once (because the previous case of it had been awful enough that nobody at a party would drink it) and it turned excellent in that time. Frustrating because we tried it a few more times with high hopes and they've just gone bland as cardboard instead.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
A case of Jacob Best Light that sits in a detached garage through a full cycle of southern Wisconsin weather (summer to summer) still tastes better than a fresh case of this poo poo.

It's a fact.

(Note: I love the BA review of JBL. Personally, I think it's one of the best cheap beers ever made, but alas, it is retired.)

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
There's a reason it has a buzz saw on the can.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So the latest rumor is Cigar City Brewery will be starting a Reserve Society in the future. I wonder if anybody can chime in with some more information...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Currently having a layover at LAX; was kind of looking forward to trying Karl Strauss/Redondo Beach but they're both in different terminals and TSA won't let me in :(

(in before "Don't bother, they suck and cost $9/beer anyway")

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is Dreadnaught worth the price when I'm able to get Hop Stoopid for half the price? I love FFF Gumball Head (wish I could find it again) Is Dreadnaught close to that or more like Hop Stoopid?

Also, the local place just got Rogue Voodoo. I'm kind of glad they priced it at $13. If it was around $8 I would have bought it and probably hated myself.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Corbet posted:

So the latest rumor is Cigar City Brewery will be starting a Reserve Society in the future. I wonder if anybody can chime in with some more information...

Yeah. I made that blog post today. It's true. I'll provide more details as I get them. It'll be awesome.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Harminoff posted:

Is Dreadnaught worth the price when I'm able to get Hop Stoopid for half the price? I love FFF Gumball Head (wish I could find it again) Is Dreadnaught close to that or more like Hop Stoopid?

Worth buying if you've never had it before, but once was enough for me.

edit: Granted, I'm not a hoppier=better guy.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Yeah. I made that blog post today. It's true. I'll provide more details as I get them. It'll be awesome.

If you provide shipping options I will resign myself to paying whatever it takes. :smithicide:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bartolimu posted:

If you provide shipping options I will resign myself to paying whatever it takes. :smithicide:

I doubt it. It seems like almost every brewery is afraid to go through the hassle of shipping directly to consumers except Cascade.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Harminoff posted:

Dreadnaught is twice as good as Hop Stoopid in my opinion so... yes.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Harminoff posted:

Also, the local place just got Rogue Voodoo. I'm kind of glad they priced it at $13. If it was around $8 I would have bought it and probably hated myself.

Dreadnaught is very different from Gumballhead. Not much alike between the two. Dreadnaught and Hop Stoopid are both similar and both very good, Dreadnaught is definitely worth buying if you haven't tried it yet.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Saw an interesting article in my local paper about how the wildfires in Colorado this year are impacting breweries (the article highlights New Belgium). A major water source for our city runs right through an area that was basically incinerated, and every time it rains the water runs black and disgusting from ash and soil washing in from the watershed. The local breweries--among may other businesses and individuals--are obviously hugely dependent on their water not tasting like rear end and being safe to drink.

It's easy to take for granted how important water is in brewing quality beer. Scary to think how SOL a lot of local businesses could be if the city/state/feds don't do a good job cleaning up after the fire.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

Brain Issues posted:

Dreadnaught is very different from Gumballhead. Not much alike between the two. Dreadnaught and Hop Stoopid are both similar and both very good, Dreadnaught is definitely worth buying if you haven't tried it yet.

Maybe it's due to the fact that I live in Indiana and have regular access to 3F, but my general feeling on them is that they can go gently caress themselves. They have fantastic marketing skills, and thus capitalize on the cult following they have based on Dark Lord etc. Speaking of Dark Lord, I hate to break the hype on this beer, but it really isn't as good as everyone seems to think. Every beer geek I know around here goes to DLD solely for the beer sharing that occurs. Also, if you want to talk about opportunism, their latest brewpub release was Robert the Bruce aged in Templeton Rye barrels, priced at $35 for a 750. Even if I had disposable income, that's a loving ripoff.

That said, any IPA they make is generally excellent, as is Zombie Dust, but I'd much rather shell out the $6 for hop stoopid than give any more cash to 3F. There are so many options at a lower price point that are as good or better than the 3F option. I'd be interested to hear opinions from Midwesterners that get their stuff regularly.

Edited for clarity and more 3F rage.

b c n u fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 29, 2012

nah
Mar 16, 2009

bartolimu posted:

No shipping options sadly.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

b c n u posted:

Also, if you want to talk about opportunism, their latest brewpub release was Robert the Bruce aged in Templeton Rye barrels, priced at $35 for a 750. Even if I had disposable income, that's a loving ripoff.

Except people paid it and paid it quickly. The reality is that $35 for a bomber or a 750 isn't out of the norm anymore. When Goose Island released Rare, there was a loud uproar from the community with "How can you charge $45 a bottle?" Well they did and it sold out and it was worth every penny. I think that opened the floodgates and other breweries knew that people would be willing to spend more than $20 for the chance to have something for probably the only time. I will very, very rarely drop more than $20 for something but when I do, I'm almost always glad I did.

BA Robert The Bruce, by the way, is excellent though I don't think I would have thrown down $35 for a bottle.

As for FFF in general, I agree that their rep outstretches their output and their best stuff are IPAs. Zombie Dust is probably their most overrated thing right now, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Any chance you guys are going to let people have trustees and pick up allotments/releases. I have family 15 minutes away from the brewery.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Speaking of old IIPAs, My local boozery suddenly has a bunch of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum on the shelves. Wasn't it released sometime around February or so?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

If $45 bottles for a 750ml of a BBA beer becomes the norm, I'll start avoiding them, which I guess is a positive for others. I'll stick to Firestone Walker and the likes, they don't seem to want to gouge (I consider it gouging) the customer like other breweries. There's also a lot of Victory Dark Intrigue on the shelves, enough to satisfy my BBA Imperial Stout cravings for a while ($8.99 a bottle).

If people want to spend that kind of money on beer, then I guess all the power to them.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

My wallet thanks you, especially since Bruery Reserve Society re-ups happen in October and there's Black Tuesday and I need to pick up my barrel aged Decadence and Churchill's is doing a sourfest and I might as well make another Track release at Lost Abbey and and and...

Couple of things I opened with friends last night:
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter - Not much vanilla, not much porter. It wasn't offensive but there wasn't much to it.
Terrapin Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout - Fantastic. The mouthfeel is nice and thick like chocolate milk, there's a definite creamy note to it, and there's great sweetness/bitterness balance. The chocolate flavors are more like milk chocolate (a lot like Hershey's) than the usual cocoa powder or bittersweet. That was kind of a shame since it got a bit lost under the malts, but overall this a great milk stout.
Port Brewing Hop 15 - Relatively new bottle (less than 3 weeks old), but it was undercarbonated to the point of tasting like it was old. Kind of a shame, but Mongo has always been my preferred Port IPA anyhow.
Boulevard Long Strange Tripel - A stylistically great tripel, maybe a little light on the banana esters compared to some. Really well done, though.
Noble Ale Works Mucky Muck - It's a very solid dark ale, but Uinta's Baba is significantly better. Still, it's a good effort from their new head brewer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Midorka posted:

If $45 bottles for a 750ml of a BBA beer becomes the norm, I'll start avoiding them, which I guess is a positive for others. I'll stick to Firestone Walker and the likes, they don't seem to want to gouge (I consider it gouging) the customer like other breweries. There's also a lot of Victory Dark Intrigue on the shelves, enough to satisfy my BBA Imperial Stout cravings for a while ($8.99 a bottle).

If people want to spend that kind of money on beer, then I guess all the power to them.

Is it really gouging if people are willing to pay it? It's not like it's the first gas station open after a hurricane charging $80/gallon or something, you're not being forced to buy it. Now, I have things I'd rather spend my money on than one $50 bottle of beer and wouldn't buy one. But I don't think it's outrageous that breweries see their poo poo sell for hundreds on eBay and conclude that if someone's willing to pay an absurd amount for a beer the profit might as well come back to them.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

Is it really gouging if people are willing to pay it? It's not like it's the first gas station open after a hurricane charging $80/gallon or something, you're not being forced to buy it. Now, I have things I'd rather spend my money on than one $50 bottle of beer and wouldn't buy one. But I don't think it's outrageous that breweries see their poo poo sell for hundreds on eBay and conclude that if someone's willing to pay an absurd amount for a beer the profit might as well come back to them.

This. "Gouging" is when the retail is $20 and a bottle shop has a $30 tag on it. If a brewery thinks it can get $50 for a bottle and I'm willing to pay it, then more power to the brewery.

We've had this discussion here before. While I certainly think that there are cases where breweries are marking their own products to ridiculous prices, I think the more common situation is breweries charging what they consider reasonable amounts for very small, complex batch runs. Rare is the best example: considering the materials and time put into that beer, I think GI had every right to ask that kind of money.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

danbanana posted:

This. "Gouging" is when the retail is $20 and a bottle shop has a $30 tag on it. If a brewery thinks it can get $50 for a bottle and I'm willing to pay it, then more power to the brewery.

We've had this discussion here before. While I certainly think that there are cases where breweries are marking their own products to ridiculous prices, I think the more common situation is breweries charging what they consider reasonable amounts for very small, complex batch runs. Rare is the best example: considering the materials and time put into that beer, I think GI had every right to ask that kind of money.

What made BC Stout Rare that much more expensive than the others?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Midorka posted:

What made BC Stout Rare that much more expensive than the others?

Exclusively aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels and for a longer period of time (iirc), which are rare (low volume) and the bourbon they put in them is very expensive. I know that this doesn't translate to a more expensive second hand barrel though.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
My brother is going to San Fransisco and he said he'd ship me some beer I can't get here in North Carolina. I've already got Pliny the Elder and some of the RR wild ales on the list, what other west-coast exclusive beers should I have him look for? I love a good IPA but I like pretty much every style. Also, what is the best bottle shop in SF?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

rage-saq posted:

Exclusively aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels and for a longer period of time (iirc), which are rare (low volume) and the bourbon they put in them is very expensive. I know that this doesn't translate to a more expensive second hand barrel though.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/goose-island-rare-bourbon-county-stout/116684/

Basically: used some of the most expensive bourbon barrels on the planet, aged in those barrels for two years.

King Henry was aged in the barrels after Rare.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I just read that they said the barrels were costly, I guess they would be considering how rare Pappy's are in general (I've been on the list for a 12/15 year for the past year) but does it really make a huge difference what bourbon was in the barrel and for how long when it comes to taste? I mean if they used Buffalo Trace barrels (which I understand is what Pappy is, just aged longer, correct me if I'm wrong though) instead of 23 year Pappy and aged BCS Rare in it for two years would it have come out near the same?

I may be wrong on that but I thought select barrels of their bourbon was chosen to be aged and that they were the same recipe. I may be very wrong though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 29, 2012

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Midorka posted:

I just read that they said the barrels were costly, I guess they would be considering how rare Pappy's are in general (I've been on the list for a 12/15 year for the past year) but does it really make a huge difference what bourbon was in the barrel and for how long when it comes to taste? I mean if they used Buffalo Trace barrels (which I understand is what Pappy is, just aged longer, correct me if I'm wrong though) instead of 23 year Pappy and aged BCS Rare in it for two years would it have come out near the same?

I may be wrong on that but I thought select barrels of their bourbon was chosen to be aged and that they were the same recipe. I may be very wrong though.

You're wrong. Van Winkle is wheated bourbon, Buffalo Trace is very much a rye heavy bourbon. BT distills and bottles Van Winkle, but it ain't the same juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

I mean if they used Buffalo Trace barrels (which I understand is what Pappy is, just aged longer, correct me if I'm wrong though) instead of 23 year Pappy and aged BCS Rare in it for two years would it have come out near the same?

Honestly, you may be 100% correct. I've had Rare, as well as every other BCS variety and a very healthy (or unhealthy, depending on who you ask) sampling of other BA'd stouts. And nothing comes close to Rare. By far the best beer I've ever had. I don't know if that was all the time and equipment or just a particularly great batch of stout as the base beer, but it was worth every penny and then some.

Or to put it another way: its retail was 3 times a bottle of Parabola. I would trade 5 Parabola's for one Rare in a second (assuming I had the Parabolas... I think I'm down to 3).