Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I rubbed my neck (and face and hands) all over this stuff, it's the softest yarn I've ever gotten to work with. I want to make love to this yarn. It's so nice. A cabled scarf sounds like a good idea but I'm intimidated -- I've never done cables before! I understand the theory of how it works though. Any good beginner cabled scarf patterns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Look Under The Rock posted:

I rubbed my neck (and face and hands) all over this stuff, it's the softest yarn I've ever gotten to work with. I want to make love to this yarn. It's so nice. A cabled scarf sounds like a good idea but I'm intimidated -- I've never done cables before! I understand the theory of how it works though. Any good beginner cabled scarf patterns?

I've had Palindrome in my queue for ages, and it's ridiculously easy to knit. I just get bored with cables so I've never finished a pattern with them.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Oh dang, that looks awesome. Right up my alley. Pics when you're done? I like me some frivolously ugly yarn stuff.

Sure! I tried to take some pictures earlier, but my camera wasn't cooperating.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So does anyone here have the Clover interchangeable needles? They look nice but holy poo poo $170 for them :staredog:

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

Look Under The Rock posted:

Did someone say cables?

Everyone posted beautiful baby blanket ideas and I instead feel that an infant needs lots of cables in...navy. So basically the baby is done cooking and I'm still making cables.

Anyway, this is my first time doing cables, and the only part that is tricky to get the hang of is having another needle in there hanging around. I ended up ditching the cable needle and using a spare DPN and holding it with my work instead of letting it hang, but I'm thinking it's the kind of thing that is totally personal (like how you tension your yarn). I wrote out what each cable abbreviation meant big on an index card since I don't have them memorized, that way I could just glance at it quickly. I had planned on my first cable project being the palindrome scarf linked above though.

HeatherChandler fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 25, 2012

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

So does anyone here have the Clover interchangeable needles? They look nice but holy poo poo $170 for them :staredog:

For the money I would buy Knitpicks or Hiya Hiya interchangeables and then whatever couple of needle sizes I needed that weren't included (like the big 15s, if you needed them). You'd still come in way under $170.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

HeatherChandler posted:

Did someone say cables?

It's a little late now, but you could still try cabling without a cable needle! It doesn't work well with larger cables, unfortunately.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
:stare:

They're metal, but I got a set just like that by Boye that I bought at Michaels. They're $70 but they almost always have a 40% off coupon.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

The only reason I suggest getting the Knitpicks or Hiya Hiya ones is because I know for sure that the cables are nice and soft and good for magic loop, whereas I have heard bad stuff about the Boye ones (though I can't confirm that personally).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I can. The boye suck for magic loop, don't do it. I don't ever magic loop, so not so big a deal for me. I actually rarely do anything above size US 4, so I mostly got them for when I do the occasionally lace with sock yarn. They're pretty alright for that, but yeah. Not magic loop.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I love the cable for the knitpicks ones. I only picked up one size and one set of cables because they had them in the store I was at, and I'd gladly get more of them in the future.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
The Knitter's Pride Symfonie and Nova are exactly the same as KnitPicks Harmony and Nickel Options ones, other than color. The cables are black rather than purple, and the needle tips are color coded for size. They all work interchangeably though - I have some Knitter's Pride cables I use with my Harmony tips and some Pride tips I use with my Harmony cables. KnitPicks' largest needle tip size is US17; If you're looking for US19s, Knitter's Pride makes them.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

HeatherChandler posted:

Did someone say cables?

Everyone posted beautiful baby blanket ideas and I instead feel that an infant needs lots of cables in...navy. So basically the baby is done cooking and I'm still making cables.

*runs in panting* CABLES?

Yeah, you can't really see them because they're all bunched up. Do you think this jumper would look okay with plain sleeves? I'm only on the back and it's taking so long that it's disheartening to think of having to do the pattern another 3 times.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Well drat, if we're talking about complex cables, I've had a DNA scarf on the needles for ages. Might not look that bad at first glance, but there's ten different cable stitches in there.

I think I'm going to end up frogging it, though, and trying again with a better yarn. Also, I have no idea what row in the chart I left off on.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
I haven't had enough cash to buy the whole Knitpicks set, but every time I order from them and need something to add to get free shipping I've been slowly building up. I'm a big fan, other than my Addi Turbo Lace I don't seem to use anything else anymore.

Gently Used Coat posted:

It's a little late now, but you could still try cabling without a cable needle! It doesn't work well with larger cables, unfortunately.
I actually tried the no-needle cabling when I decided I hated the cable needle and failed miserably. I kept losing stitches. I think I'm clumsy.

madlilnerd posted:

*runs in panting* CABLES?

Yeah, you can't really see them because they're all bunched up. Do you think this jumper would look okay with plain sleeves? I'm only on the back and it's taking so long that it's disheartening to think of having to do the pattern another 3 times.

Eep that's a lot. I like the cabled sleeves though, looks like a bitchy rich lady from the 80's that hangs out at the ski lodge. I kind of want it now.

Mizufusion posted:

Well drat, if we're talking about complex cables, I've had a DNA scarf on the needles for ages. Might not look that bad at first glance, but there's ten different cable stitches in there.

I think I'm going to end up frogging it, though, and trying again with a better yarn. Also, I have no idea what row in the chart I left off on.

I love this! I'm adding it to my favorites on Ravelry for the future, although I'd probably simplify the border. I need to stop finding new things I want to make and finish up some things.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Y'all, I need advice.

A while ago I got a wild hair up my rear end about knitting myself a coat/jacket type thing. Like outerwear. And it would be all in fingering weight fair isle, with hems and poo poo, and those neat metal clasps people get somewhere and it would be AWESOME.

I want to use Pallette.

I'm having trouble figuring out how much yarn to order though. I did pick out my colors. So what I'm wondering is, should I just go for it and order a whole bunch, or just order one ball per color and maybe knit a swatch and then order the rest, or what? Does 4800 yards sound like enough for a long cardigan in a fancy colorwork pattern? Probably a 42 inch bust or so? What if I get rabies and decide I want to put a hood on it? Do you want to see the colors I picked out?

Basically the background would be dark purple shading to light purple and white, the charcoal color would be the pattern sort of laid over the background (I imagine it like tree branches against the sky in winter), and the pink would be contrast at the hems and cuffs.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

4800 yards sounds like it should be more than enough, I think. I'm a 38" bust, and I've been working on a fingering weight outwear colourwork cardigan for ages now--and I've got about 2800 yards for it, which is plenty for my sleeves and patterning (but I wouldn't be able to add a hood) (it's Swanson's Pheonix Cardi).

What I would do would be order one ball each of the colours I want to use, figure out my motif, knit a small swatch, and then figure out ratios and order based off that. That gives you a chance to sort of know what you're doing, make sure you've got the right needles, and see if you like the effect before you get half way through the waist and realize you hate it and it's too small (ask me how I know! actually don't, I still get flashbacks). You're still going to end up getting boatloads of yarn, no matter what, that will just make it so you have a better chance of not ending up with sixteen million balls of charcoal or purple or something at the end.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

HeatherChandler posted:

Eep that's a lot. I like the cabled sleeves though, looks like a bitchy rich lady from the 80's that hangs out at the ski lodge. I kind of want it now.

Bingo! Vogue Knitting Fall/Winter 1986. Going to art school has it's perks, and one of those is the library full of fashion resources. They don't have every issue of Vogue Knitting (they only have 4 or 5 issues), but they have some cool knitting books too.

Mizufusion posted:

I love the colour you picked though, it shows off the design really well. Some of the ones up of Ravelry work so badly with the pattern, you can barely see it at all.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

FelicityGS posted:

4800 yards sounds like it should be more than enough, I think. I'm a 38" bust, and I've been working on a fingering weight outwear colourwork cardigan for ages now--and I've got about 2800 yards for it, which is plenty for my sleeves and patterning (but I wouldn't be able to add a hood) (it's Swanson's Pheonix Cardi).

Wowsa. That Phoenix Cardigan looks AMAZING. Though it's crazy that the pattern has plain sleeves! You put so much work into that thing and they wimp out on the sleeves? This lady put the pattern on the whole sleeve and it looks freakin' amazing. If you're gonna do something so crazy, may as well go all the way, eh? It's probably also worth mentioning she didn't do it by hand, it was by machine... And that I'm sure plenty of others prefer the cleaner look/less work of plain sleeves. Just looks jarring to me, is all.

Still though, hopefully a library near me has that book, because someday I'm totally tackling that bad boy! Seattle Public Library has it! Someday it will be mine.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Phishi posted:

Wowsa. That Phoenix Cardigan looks AMAZING. Though it's crazy that the pattern has plain sleeves! You put so much work into that thing and they wimp out on the sleeves? This lady put the pattern on the whole sleeve and it looks freakin' amazing. If you're gonna do something so crazy, may as well go all the way, eh? It's probably also worth mentioning she didn't do it by hand, it was by machine... And that I'm sure plenty of others prefer the cleaner look/less work of plain sleeves. Just looks jarring to me, is all.

Still though, hopefully a library near me has that book, because someday I'm totally tackling that bad boy! Seattle Public Library has it! Someday it will be mine.

Yes! Everyone knit crazy-rear end things! It's good for the soul.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Molly Bloom posted:

Yes! Everyone knit crazy-rear end things! It's good for the soul.

If you swatch first and don't have to rip out half the cardi and start over because you refuse to see it's not going to fit no matter what you do.

Phishi, I'm planning on plain sleeves because by that point I will have knit the body 1.5 times and suspect I will be absolutely sick of it. Also, can't get anymore of my contrast yarn, since it was a custom dye, so I don't think I have enough to do the pattern all the way up.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

HeatherChandler posted:

I love this! I'm adding it to my favorites on Ravelry for the future, although I'd probably simplify the border. I need to stop finding new things I want to make and finish up some things.

I simplified mine, too. I think I just did the mini-twist edging and some garter stitch, but honestly I can't remember exactly what I did. I did screw up the bottom a bit, though. It's all bunched up where the cables start.

madlilnerd posted:

I love the colour you picked though, it shows off the design really well. Some of the ones up of Ravelry work so badly with the pattern, you can barely see it at all.

Thank you! I really like the color too, but the yarn is pretty cheap and I only have one skein. It's some generic worsted acrylic that's been sitting in my stash for ages, after sitting in someone else's stash for even longer. I want to find something a bit nicer, and more of it.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I've just done a very basic blanket in stocking stitch using a fair isle effect yarn, for a friend's baby. It looks great, except the edges are curling :(

I tried picking up stitches along the edge to do a plain knit border, but first attempt I picked up too few and managed to gather the blanket, and the second attempt I picked up too many and made the border ripple instead of laying flat so I frogged the border again. Any other suggestions? I haven't tried washing/blocking yet, but I have a feeling that won't stop the curling edge.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Helanna posted:

I've just done a very basic blanket in stocking stitch using a fair isle effect yarn, for a friend's baby. It looks great, except the edges are curling :(

I tried picking up stitches along the edge to do a plain knit border, but first attempt I picked up too few and managed to gather the blanket, and the second attempt I picked up too many and made the border ripple instead of laying flat so I frogged the border again. Any other suggestions? I haven't tried washing/blocking yet, but I have a feeling that won't stop the curling edge.

Yeah, blocking really won't do that. Picking up stitches and knitting a border is definitely the best way to go, I think - it's just a matter of getting the right ratio.

Maybe you could do one of those borders where you knit it separately and sew it on?

It's possible sewing a backing on would help but I haven't done it so I don't actually know.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Backings help but are usually a bit obnoxious if it's not a sweater since it's harder to hide.

For the ratio, try 3 to 4 stitches on your vertical edges, and 1:1 on your horizontal (cast on and off) edges. I usually end up fudging and kind of eyeballing it as I go, and use a really long circular needle to help spread it out and check.

Vulvarine
Mar 23, 2008
I knit pickup borders all the time, and my gauge has never been what the pattern says; what I do is pick up and knit about a six-inch or so test border first to figure out a good ratio to use. Even four inches is usually enough.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Should be able to figure out the ratio with row gauge/stitch gauge, I think.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

For the ratio, try 3 to 4 stitches on your vertical edges

That did the trick, thanks! Now I just gotta sew in the ends, crochet the lettering and sew them on, and wash/block the whole thing! Really need to finish it this week though, the kid is like a month old already lol. Been a bit distracted by my own newborn but still, it's taken a shamefully long time for such a simple blanket!

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

FelicityGS posted:

If you swatch first and don't have to rip out half the cardi and start over because you refuse to see it's not going to fit no matter what you do.

Haha. I haven't touched needles nor wool since the cardi from hell was completed. Maybe I will start again when it is not quite as hot as balls here. With something less perverse.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I've just finished Sorceress and I'm casting on for the Queen of Diamonds Shawl. I'm not the world's most experienced knitter, and it's my first chart. I think I'm insane.

ETA: And my first time using circs. Why can't I be this confident in life?!

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 29, 2012

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

absinthefairy posted:

I've just finished Sorceress and I'm casting on for the Queen of Diamonds Shawl. I'm not the world's most experienced knitter, and it's my first chart. I think I'm insane.

ETA: And my first time using circs. Why can't I be this confident in life?!

You can do it!

My first ever lace was a huge rear end shawl, I fully support "oh god what am I doing" knitting. :)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Agreed. Best way to learn a new skill is to jump headfirst. Oh god what am I doing knitting is the best. :)

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Thank you for the encouragement :). I'm really enjoying this shawl, I hope it turns out!

I made myself seam Sorceress before I could go any further, it finished blocking about two days ago but the wool for QofD arrived, so I was all excited over the new project, heh.
Please excuse the terrible photo quality.

This one is a bit better.

And this is my progress on QofD so far. It's going nice and quick at the moment, hopefully my enthusiasm keeps up!

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
My mother just reminded me that Stitches West is now closer than further (so less than 6 months away). On some level I feel she and I may have a yarn problem, but on the other hand, we don't care about organized religion so I rationalize this as our equivalent of either an annual religious pilgrimage or a year's worth of church in one weekend.

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009
I just finished my first ever sweater! It's a crazy, dumb-looking, multi-coloured monstrosity made with acrylic yarn because I lack taste and refinement.

Front

Back

Also because I had no experience knitting sweaters I just followed the instruction to measure around my boobs and knit according to that. Somehow I failed to realise until I'd sewn it together just how much too big for me it would be.

It's a drat tent.

That said, I put way too much work into this NOT to wear it, so maybe a belt...?

On the bright side, I don't really mind looking crazy, and it did only take a few months so I'm still quite proud of myself. I'll make something a little more understated next time.

Edit: Sorry about the crappy photos, that's the only mirror in the house and the mess isn't mine I swear, my housemates are (very pleasant) slobs :(

Onionetta fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 31, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Hell, I think that sweater is awesome.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That sweater is freaking awesome. Seriously. I love the little hearts and your colour choice, and the belt definitely works with it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

That sweater is freaking awesome. Seriously. I love the little hearts and your colour choice, and the belt definitely works with it.

Yeah, I agree, that's a great sweater and doesn't look bad at all on you. It's always best to err on the side of too big anyway--nothing sucks more than knitting a sweater you literally can't wear!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Onionetta posted:

I just finished my first ever sweater!

First EVER?! I bow down to you, that is amazing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:argh: left_unattended and Onionetta thanks a lot now I have more thing I want to make that I'll never get to because my To Make list is fifty pages long!!! :sigh: Oh, and that's not even getting into Xmas presents. I'm making an Eva scarf for my sister. She's getting this fancy silk and bamboo yarn from Patons.

It's not done and will hopefully spread out and flatten after blocking. The color is way darker, like a royal purple. I want to keep it for myself because it's so frickin' soft!!

BTW, for those who make socks, what's the best substitute for wool? My mom caught on that I can knit and now she wants pink socks for Xmas. I guess I better learn how, and fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
The nicest (and first!) pair of socks I ever made was made with Classic Elite Alpaca Sox. It was kind of pricey but totally nice to work with and my little sister loved them and wears them all the time in cold weather. They're super warm and snuggly soft and there are some really pretty colorways.