Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

alted2 posted:

Try installing something in Cydia that requires a respring. That usually fixes the white icon issue for me.

Installing something from Cydia that adds an icon: it runs uicache.
Installing something from Cydia that requires a restart or respring: it runs uicache.
Manually respringing your device: it runs uicache.
Running any claimed cache cleaners that do "something" in the background and/or respring: those just run uicache.

In all cases, the program "uicache" is being ran to rebuild the icon cache. You can just run this manually (via command line: /usr/bin/uicache), or through an icon on the SpringBoard itself, using something like the "Rebuild Cache" program on my repo (cydia.xenomorph.net). Doing this manually does not require a respring, so it can be quicker - plus it will not close anything you had running as a respring does.

Even though serious loving money is being made on this stuff, the flaws & bugs in programs like WinterBoard and uicache (both written and provided by Saurik himself) haven't had many updates - *ever*.

WinterBoard has caused problems with iAd since the iOS 4.x days (saurik says he doesn't know how to fix it). Other bugs with WinterBoard he claimed he didn't even know existed (ie: he doesn't even run his own stuff). I don't know if uicache has ever been updated, but it's clear it's been loving broken on iOS 5.x, which is going on a *year* old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Even though serious loving money is being made on this stuff, the flaws & bugs in programs like WinterBoard and uicache (both written and provided by Saurik himself) haven't had many updates - *ever*.

WinterBoard has caused problems with iAd since the iOS 4.x days (saurik says he doesn't know how to fix it). Other bugs with WinterBoard he claimed he didn't even know existed (ie: he doesn't even run his own stuff). I don't know if uicache has ever been updated, but it's clear it's been loving broken on iOS 5.x, which is going on a *year* old now.

This is the kind of thing that sort of put me off jailbreaking. There are some great developers writing some great software for jailbroken phones, and most of them are very responsive to bugs/issues/suggestions/etc., but some of the core software that you can't really avoid if you jailbreak causes the most issues, and seems to see the least development. WinterBoard has been notoriously buggy since iOS4. Activator causes issues with the home button. iBooks breaks. White icons appear. Cydia (while better than it used to be) is still slow. I just don't see how so many of these things can still be issues after so long.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Diabolik900 posted:

This is the kind of thing that sort of put me off jailbreaking. There are some great developers writing some great software for jailbroken phones, and most of them are very responsive to bugs/issues/suggestions/etc., but some of the core software that you can't really avoid if you jailbreak causes the most issues, and seems to see the least development. WinterBoard has been notoriously buggy since iOS4. Activator causes issues with the home button. iBooks breaks. White icons appear. Cydia (while better than it used to be) is still slow. I just don't see how so many of these things can still be issues after so long.

The abysmal quality of software (no need to follow design guidelines or even test anything since Apple doesn't have to approve it!), the "pirate everything" mentality some people have, and the non stop "check out my theme" threads on other forums that go on forever turn me off so much to this.

I try not to use anything that needs WinterBoard or Activator now.
WinterBoard will probably never be fixed, and I don't want or need "gestures" or anything else to take over and alter (poorly) how the touch screen works. I don't use SBSettings any more because it required Activator (NCSettings, while close, doesn't offer all the stuff SBSettings does).
Luckily, iBooks does work on iOS 5.x. But we're stuck with a buggy uicache (white icons, corrupted icons, swapped icons, etc), and the sometimes "semi tether" state a device may boot up in even when untethered (this is a *very* rare bug, but it does happen).

90%+ of what is on Cydia is absolute garbage. Thousands of "themes" that have hideous icons, terrible wallpaper, and misspelled descriptions. Saurik and the repository maintainers don't care. They get tons of ad $$$ from it!

Jailbreaking almost turns iOS into Android. I have three Android devices right now, and even a clean, stock install of their OS is just as bad as a jailbroken iOS install. Sure, I have the ~freedom~ to do what I want, but busted interface (no design guidelines followed by any developer) and poor software compatibility (because of insanely fragmented market) means tons of poo poo just doesn't work right.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Xenomorph posted:

The abysmal quality of software (no need to follow design guidelines or even test anything since Apple doesn't have to approve it!), the "pirate everything" mentality some people have, and the non stop "check out my theme" threads on other forums that go on forever turn me off so much to this.

I try not to use anything that needs WinterBoard or Activator now.
WinterBoard will probably never be fixed, and I don't want or need "gestures" or anything else to take over and alter (poorly) how the touch screen works. I don't use SBSettings any more because it required Activator (NCSettings, while close, doesn't offer all the stuff SBSettings does).
Luckily, iBooks does work on iOS 5.x. But we're stuck with a buggy uicache (white icons, corrupted icons, swapped icons, etc), and the sometimes "semi tether" state a device may boot up in even when untethered (this is a *very* rare bug, but it does happen).

90%+ of what is on Cydia is absolute garbage. Thousands of "themes" that have hideous icons, terrible wallpaper, and misspelled descriptions. Saurik and the repository maintainers don't care. They get tons of ad $$$ from it!

Jailbreaking almost turns iOS into Android. I have three Android devices right now, and even a clean, stock install of their OS is just as bad as a jailbroken iOS install. Sure, I have the ~freedom~ to do what I want, but busted interface (no design guidelines followed by any developer) and poor software compatibility (because of insanely fragmented market) means tons of poo poo just doesn't work right.

It's kind of obvious how bad you are at running a jailbroken phone, I have never really had problems with my phone and I am able to do so much more compared to other phones, all of the while not having to spend hours trying to "root" my phone.

You pretty much spend most of your time complaining about themes, yet it's really not that hard to find a great theme that fits well with whatever "style" you are looking for and without it being bugging, you just need to know how to look for things like this.

Not to mention all of the cool tweaks you can use to boost your phones capability to actually be worth the price tag Apple makes you pay for iPhones, things that work really well with that "crappy" touchscreen you are complaining about.

quote:

but busted interface (no design guidelines followed by any developer)

You have Androids, you should know of this thing called Google. I, once like you, was lost on how to design themes to fit and work with the way I wanted, then I found the information I needed and now my phone is exactly how *I* want it.

quote:

poor software compatibility (because of insanely fragmented market)means tons of poo poo just doesn't work right.

You need to be able to understand how repos work and how you can use certain ones to find the best things you are looking for, be it tweaks, themes, or anything really. Just because you are lost in Cydia, doesn't mean there is tons of poo poo. You are just looking in all of the wrong places.

"90% of Cydia is poo poo because of themes."

Okay guy, stick to your Android then, jailbreaking is not for all.

--

In other things, Uncurl is a pretty drat cool tweak and you all should check it out if you have not.

Foehammer007 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 29, 2012

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Maybe you should reread his post again?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Diabolik900 posted:

WinterBoard has been notoriously buggy since iOS4.
Am I mistaken or isn't WinterBoard exactly the same program that's been around since iOS 3? I don't understand why somebody doesn't just remake the whole thing with iOS 6 compatibility and rake in the megabux.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

Maybe you should reread his post again?

Seconded

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This page prompted me to uninstall winterboard and my phone is MUCH snapier than it had been for the past couple months. It's too bad that program sucks, cause it had some fun tweaks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just got an iON iCADE Mobile mostly for SNES emulators on my iPhone.

1) Is there any way to overclock the phone a bit? I did some research and it there's some Winterboard theme that claims to do it but I see no FPS difference in the SNES games.

2) I remember there being some jailbreak app that simulates you touching the screen while using a bluetooth remote. This means I can use this iCade thing even for games that ONLY have touchscreen controls as an option (like Secret of Mana). Problem is, I can't remember the name of this app.

Any help would be appreciated because Google is failing me!

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Hamburglar posted:

Just got an iON iCADE Mobile mostly for SNES emulators on my iPhone.

1) Is there any way to overclock the phone a bit? I did some research and it there's some Winterboard theme that claims to do it but I see no FPS difference in the SNES games.

2) I remember there being some jailbreak app that simulates you touching the screen while using a bluetooth remote. This means I can use this iCade thing even for games that ONLY have touchscreen controls as an option (like Secret of Mana). Problem is, I can't remember the name of this app.

Any help would be appreciated because Google is failing me!

http://www.skipser.com/p/2/p/how-to-overclock-iphone.html

http://www.ringwald.ch/cydia/blutrol/

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

TACD posted:

Am I mistaken or isn't WinterBoard exactly the same program that's been around since iOS 3? I don't understand why somebody doesn't just remake the whole thing with iOS 6 compatibility and rake in the megabux.

Yeah, a lot of the old stuff is the same since 3.x - just receiving enough of a patch, tweak, or change to make them work in iOS 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, etc.
A lot of the old stuff has simply gone stale. There is no incentive for them to remake the older stuff - it already brings in megabux, as-is.

While the security researchers / jailbreakers have to constantly evolve what they do for *every* release of iOS, it seems like many of the app developers usually have to do very little to get their stuff going on an already-jailbroken platform.

That "uicache" program that bugs out on everything 5.x and newer still references a bunch of paths in its code that haven't been used since iOS 3.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Does anybody know how to deal with a phone (3GS) that won't activate because iTunes won't recognize the SIM card? I took my phone to the Apple Store, and the only thing the person I talked to recommended was to buy a new phone, which struck me as odd because I thought the iPhone was unbrickable.

Here is what happened:

I took my iPhone 3GS to a local phone shop to get it unlocked, because I am moving. When I got it back it was unlocked and jailbroken to 4.1.1. When I checked out this thread, I followed the instructions in the OP of "If you're using a previously jailbroken device that is not running iOS version 5.1.1" to try and update to 5.1.1. When I tried step #2 (erase all content and settings) I could not reactivate the phone. iTunes would not recognize the SIM card and, when I tried through the phone, I got the message that the activation server was unavailable. The person at the Apple store tried DFU mode and that didn't work either.

Help?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
By updating to 5.1.1 you also updated your baseband because you didn't create a custom ipsw to preserve your baseband. There is no way to undo this. Your phone will only work with the original carrier that it is locked to. Sorry.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Edit: ^^ Better answer.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Hamburlgar posted:

By updating to 5.1.1 you also updated your baseband because you didn't create a custom ipsw to preserve your baseband. There is no way to undo this. Your phone will only work with the original carrier that it is locked to. Sorry.

I am not good with phones but:
- I did not get to the point of actually trying to update to 5.1.1. Unless it tried to do that automatically with the reset.
- If I could get to the point where it would work with the original carrier to which it was locked (FIDO) I would be happy, but I cannot figure out how to do that. It is the original SIM card that is currently in the phone that is not being recognized.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
You should have just left it as it was running unlocked and jail broken on 4.x. If it now isn't even recognising the original SIM you now have a rather shiny doorstop :(

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Well that sucks. Is there seriously no way to save it?

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Well that sucks. Is there seriously no way to save it?

Depending on your baseband this could help.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06/18/downgrade-baseband-06-15/

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm sure I've done a "hacktivate" before with redsn0w. I did it with a 3GS, even. No SIM card.

How old is the 3GS? All 2009/2010 models, plus most of the first-half of 2011 models of the 3GS are fully unlockable. Again, with the latest redsn0w, it can shoe-horn the iPad baseband in there and then immediately downgrade it to an older, unlockable 3GS baseband (with working GPS). So you can be unlocked on iOS 5.1.1. (you do not want to leave the 6.15.00 / iPad baseband on your iPhone, as it prevents the GPS from working)

If it's a newer 3GS (manufactured after November of 2011), that process will pretty much brick the radio. Not "brick" as in "guess I need to reinstall my OS", but "brick" as in "this is seriously a loving brick that will never, ever work again".

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thanks. This is a 2010 phone. Is "hacktivating" as simple as running what Na'at is linking?
e: I appear to have things figured out. Thanks, guys.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 31, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you!

Edit: I REALLY doubt this but there's no way to get the on-screen controls to go away, right?
I know it's probably a ridiculous question but figured maybe it's considered some sort of "graphical layer" that can be told to be turned off or something.

Only one of the 3 SNES emulators seem to support even getting rid of the on-screen controls :(

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 2, 2012

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I'm in the process of jailbreaking my 4S for the very first time, which was somewhat prompted by reading this thread on and off for the past couple of weeks. Thanks for the helpful FAQ at the very beginning, this was definitely a lot easier than what I thought it would be.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a jailbreak app that lets you schedule times to set the phone to airplane mode?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
For what purpose? If you need specific functionality to be disabled, you may have more success asking how to achieve that. That said, I don't know of any way to do what you want.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a jailbreak app that lets you schedule times to set the phone to airplane mode?

Is MyProfiles still a thing? It was by the guy who makes MyWi and My3G and it supports such things but last I heard he was no longer developing it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

If you're looking for a way to not receive emails/calls/texts, they added the ability to set a do not disturb automatically based on a schedule.

If it's for conserving battery or something, then I don't know either.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BlackMK4 posted:

iScheduler http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/cydia-app-ischeduler/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for recommended Blutrol guys but I am having such weird issues with it. Some games it works fine with (Sonic CD) and some games it's like almost nothing is being registered at all (Secret of Mana). I tried every single screen position possible, along with different options in the program and can't seem to get it to work on certain games. Googlin' "blutrol Secret of Mana" isn't showing much in terms of other people with issues. Can anyone verify it working with Secret of Mana for you?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Ok, I'm sorry if this has been covered but I need help. I'm actually trying to un-jailbreak my iPhone 4S and update from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1.

For whatever reason, iTunes keeps giving me an error (which seems to change from time to time, but is typically error 1601) whenever I try to restore the phone. I've uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, removed the .ispw for 5.1.1 from the machine so that iTunes would be forced to re-download it, I've tried different USB ports, and I've put my phone into DFU mode. But I still keep getting this:

This is on a Windows 7 machine. Is there any way around this error? Or can I even leave DFU mode? At this point, my phone is just a black screen, I can't get anything to appear on it.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Is your hosts file directing to apple or cydia?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

MickRaider posted:

Is your hosts file directing to apple or cydia?

I haven't checked in a while, but now that I'm looking at it, there is an entry for gs.apple.com that I've never seen before. Where the hell did that come from?

edit: I also noticed a different file called hosts.umbrella that also has that same gs.apple.com entry. This sounds like maybe a TinyUmbrella thing, and I sort of remember running TinyUmbrella a long time ago.

bazaar apparatus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 5, 2012

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bazaar apparatus posted:

This sounds like maybe a TinyUmbrella thing.

That's exactly what it is. The option to "set host to cydia on exit" is checked by default. Remove the entry from your host file and you'll be good to go.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Na'at posted:

That's exactly what it is. The option to "set host to cydia on exit" is checked by default. Remove the entry from your host file and you'll be good to go.

I removed that apple entry from both files, but the restore still failed. Deleted the hosts.umbrella file and tried again, but it's still failing. I'm at a loss here.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Try putting it in DFU mode first. Whenever I've had this problem that's solved it.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Na'at posted:

Try putting it in DFU mode first. Whenever I've had this problem that's solved it.

It's already in DFU mode, that's the thing. The good news is, I think the restore is working now!

I redownloaded TinyUmbrella and told it to 'Fix Recovery'. I also made sure that the 'set host to cydia' option was unchecked, then closed TinyUmbrella before restoring again. This time, it looks like it went through as normal, and I'm looking at the iOS setup screen.

*whew* goddamn, I'm just glad I don't have to take this thing to the Apple Store and hope they don't see that I was jailbroken. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shmoogy posted:

If you're looking for a way to not receive emails/calls/texts, they added the ability to set a do not disturb automatically based on a schedule.

If it's for conserving battery or something, then I don't know either.

I don't care to get into it, but cutting contact with certain people and I only want the phone to come out of airplane mode a couple of times a day to grab texts for a couple of weeks. I'm lazy.

Thank you, I'll give it a shot.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I have an iPhone 4S that's still on 5.0

I should update it to 5.1.1 before jailbreaking, right?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

quadratic posted:

I have an iPhone 4S that's still on 5.0

I should update it to 5.1.1 before jailbreaking, right?

Provided you're not (i dont' even really know or care how possible it is, but if you are, be warned) depending on some manner of "unlock" for the device that requires a certain baseband, you're good. Update away. Mine's on 5.1.1 and the water's fine.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Installed Springtomise, Gridlock, Infinifolders today. Now when I swipe up for the camera on lock screen it gets about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up and just hangs. Anyone with these three apps experience anything similar?

Fixed. Just had to respring a few times.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Hey I'm having a interesting problem. I recently have had my iPhone 4s drop off the network entirely, with the About page telling me: 'SIM not provisioned' 3G and EDGE do not work and my phone cannot make or receive calls. Usually this happens while I'm using it rather than in the pocket but that has happened with me being off the grid unknowingly for a few hours.

I have installed 3G unrestrictor to use with Skype but this occurred before and since the install. I'd say it happens at least twice a month. And within the hour of me learning that it's happened, I'm back in the network.

Anyone experience this? I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue.

• Locked thread