Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I emailed you my reply :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
You can PM me i guess

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Vheissu posted:

Getting ours (from the same litter) on Sunday!

Aw, I'm going down on Monday (driving 6+ hours a day the past three days and two 8 hour trips tomorrow... it's a three hour drive one way to Ft. Worth so I really needed Sunday off!). Gonna post so many photos when I get them!

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
Photos of my "baby" rats! They are about 6 months old now. Going through some sort of horrible teenage phase where they are super energetic and crazy and want to destroy everything and piss each other off and generally be trouble. It's a huge change after my senior lady rats - forgot what young female rats are like. NUTS.

Field Commander Mouse! How many other people here have/have had a rat called mouse?

Baby Blue, being pretty :3:

Mouse is a badly mis-marked agouti hooded and Blue is a blue dumbo. Mouse and Blue were originally a literal description of what they looked like when I got them (Mouse was the tiniest ball of fluff), until I'd thought of better names. But they stuck. Sorry rats!

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Ugh... It looks like one of my rat babies has escaped the cage in the night. They are super freaking small and I'm trying not to panic. I didn't think they'd be able to squeeze through the bars, and one of them is still here (put her in the travel cage for safekeeping) but I can't find the other one anywhere. My door was closed and I'm pretty actually certain she couldn't get underneath it but I can't find her anywhere. The cage is on the floor with the door open and I've dumped food all around the entrance. She's so so small I'm worried I won't be able to hear her. Is there anything else I can do?

Edit: I actually found her a couple hours after I posted this. She was in the space under the mattress box under the mattress of my bed! I think she might have just gotten stuck under there. Will have to post pictures when I'm back home. They're so tiny :3:

mareep fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 22, 2012

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Gotta love rats that escape. Luckily they are easier than hamsters to find.

As a youngin my rat Socks would slip out between the bars of my ferret nation cage. I was stupid in not getting a cage with smaller bars, and luckily he didn't do it often enough. I would find him just sitting on top of the cage.

He was much more satisfied making nests in paper bags later in his life.

There were other times where I had a rat just disappear aka would go to sleep in a place where I thought he couldn't get into, such as my dresser and then reappear at night by climbing on my bed and perching on my body. I am a light sleeper so he and I got lucky.

Now I have my own place and bedroom = no rats allowed.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Anybody looking for a photodump? I hope so...

Here is Hector, I can never get a good shot of him because he never stops moving!

Baby Gus(he will always be baby Gus) in the awesome tube I crocheted them, one week until it was destroyed.

Hurley, he is getting up there and he is a sweet old man now.

Jack derping out.

Baby Gus and his little hands!

The last picture I took of Talbot, thankfully his brother bonded to Baby Gus instantly, they spend every minute together.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am so happy with my squirmy baby girls. I have been making them hang out with me for at least half an hour after my kid goes to sleep (this is after the half hour of rat trauma/kid holding them/chasing them) and we are making progress for sure. The black one, Nibbler is still shy, but Oopsie, the beige girl will come to the door for a Cheerio. They are both very friendly, non-biters and playful. The entire family stops by the cage, opens it and offers treats any time they pass by to help the girls learn we are good people.

They trust me enough to fall asleep on my shoulder most of the time now. When my kid is around, they hide in my lap and then dart out to explore before coming back. I am trying to teach the 4 year old to be gentle. My most serious message is if you grab one by the tail, we are DONE forever. My daughter is doing very well, and the only trouble we have is the kid holding the rats while they kick and twist for a little too long. I am trying to have us all sit on the couch and not react much to the rats when they come to sniff and play, and I feel like it's working well. Any other suggestions of how to make a young kid behave with rats or vice versa? I watch the interaction between them 100% of the time, don't let my daughter feed through the bars and am trying to get them to like each other even though I know the kid moves way too fast for the rats. I think I'm doing OK, but asking people who know better might help. A part of me thinks my kid's fast movements are actually good for these rats because they are quickly adapting to us.

Honestly at first I thought, "they're just rats, it can't be that big of a deal". Now that I know them, I am becoming a crazy rat lady who wants to make every minute of their lives pure bliss. Hehe. I love these girls and want the best for them.
Blurry pic ahoy!

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Oopsie is the most brilliant name.

Maeume
Apr 20, 2012
I am a glutton, I swear.

So I have my two, fat girls, Penelope and Lucy, and I wanted to wait until they passed before getting anymore.

And then this morning, I accompanied my dad to the reptile store because it's always been tradition that I go, but I haven't in a while, so I decided to go and check out what they had, as it was a new one just opening up.

Well, While my dad got a couple rats of different sizes, I peeked into the Hopper bin...and I saw a rattie baby with Himalayan coloring, and flipped my poo poo. The guy boxed it up, told me "Enjoy your feeder" with a wink, and sent me off. Right now, the baby is in it's own cage, and enjoying the baby food and grains, and mango I offered. I don't know if it is a boy or girl, but I am leaning towards a boy. Either way, this is going to be a good baby. I can feel it. :)

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Be sure to get it a friend once you know its gender! Himalayan is my favorite rat color, too. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Be sure to post pics so it doesn't explode :3: RES is a thing, just like PES and KES.

Tomorrow evening my friend's bringing his rats over to my house so I can look after them for ten days. I assume I can post pictures of them here right?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
No, you absolutely cannot. YES we always need rat pictures, personally I don't care whose they are.

They could explode under your care and we wouldn't want that, now would we?

Maeume
Apr 20, 2012
Oh Bear Rape, I already have two girls. If it is a boy, I may consider the snip so the girls have a new play mate as well.

Count Harper
Dec 29, 2008

Oh my god, you know the world is great.
My babby dumbo rats and regular black hooded rat, in a LEGO palace my 6-year-old brother and I made, last December:

Paula and Skelly. Paula, true to her namesake (Paula Deen) became a fatty. :3:

D'aww, Lydia!

SMOOSH.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Oh god that's too cute. Lego palace is such an awesome idea too :3:

I'm going to my friend's to pick up his rats in like 5-6 hours. I'm as excited for this as I would be if I was getting my own rats. He already brought over their small (well not really) old cage, a Ferplast Furet Plus, and I've set it up. They have two hammocks, their wheel, a hemp rope, a wooden swing (too big for my mice/they don't use it), a wooden ladder, and a hanging toy. Then I thought the floor looked bare so I've stuffed some treats (mealworms and a couple sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds) into a toilet roll tube and closed up the ends, and put some treats into a cardboard egg box.

I am a rat lady and these aren't even my pets :saddowns:

For anyone who has both mice and rats: are yours in the same room? I've moved my mice into a different room because of not enough space, and I don't want to stress my mice with Sudden Rat Smell.

Since the rats will be here and set up by 6 at the latest, I'm planning to leave them overnight to settle back into this cage then introduce myself in the morning. I plan to bribe with all the mealworms!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If they didn't chew the plastic, I think a lego palace would be the perfect place for rats.

Maybe a lincoln log chateau? Depends on how they treat the wood, I guess.

You guys make me jealous, I really want to have little ratpiles of my own but I can't have pets with my current living situation. Maybe someday...

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Maeume posted:

Oh Bear Rape, I already have two girls. If it is a boy, I may consider the snip so the girls have a new play mate as well.

That'd be cool! Especially since iirc that costs way less than getting a female rat spayed.

Count Harper, that lego house is just awesome. And your dumbos are so cute! :neckbeard:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

The rats have landed :black101:

We had a slight transport problem and ended up having to bus it to mine, so the rats weren't too impressed and got kind of covered in their own piss/crap. But half an hour after they were set up in the cage they seemed pretty interested in interacting with me, so I just spent some time feeding them mealworms and stroking their little backs. It's so awesome having small pets I can stroke again - the mice are way too small for that. Adam put her lil paws on my hand and I melted just a little.

Adam and Eve (both girls) say hello to the thread! Adam is a red eyed white and Eve is a red eyed himalayan, I think. Adam is more outgoing and Eve is a little nervy but I'll get her to come round with the power of treats love.

The setup. It looks smaller than it is in real life.

Right now Eve is ignoring the two hammocks and sleeping in the wheel. You'll have to forgive the poor quality pictures; I'll take better ones if/when we have sunlight tomorrow.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Oh my God those faces! Also, I need legos now.

Count Harper
Dec 29, 2008

Oh my god, you know the world is great.
Oh, is the white with brown nose pattern Himalayan? With red eyes? I've had two female rats with that coloring and they have been the sweetest rats I've ever had. :3:
I'm so excited for you and your new ratties!

Maeume
Apr 20, 2012
AWW thew new baby is so sweet <3 Still not sure if a boy, or a girl. I was doing a little bit more research and it looks like, by guidelines, Baby is not a Himalayan, but a Seal Point Siamese, because there is too much brown color on the rear. Either way, Baby is cool looking. The tips of the ears are brown, and the butt and tail, and the nose :3

I'm totally smitten. I'll have to upload photos once I can find the cord to my camera. :D

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Maeume posted:

AWW thew new baby is so sweet <3 Still not sure if a boy, or a girl. I was doing a little bit more research and it looks like, by guidelines, Baby is not a Himalayan, but a Seal Point Siamese, because there is too much brown color on the rear. Either way, Baby is cool looking. The tips of the ears are brown, and the butt and tail, and the nose :3

I'm totally smitten. I'll have to upload photos once I can find the cord to my camera. :D

How can you have difficulty sexing a rat. :psyduck:

Post pics and we can sex it for you?? Don't let it interact with your girls until you figure out if it has balls.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Count Harper posted:

Oh, is the white with brown nose pattern Himalayan? With red eyes? I've had two female rats with that coloring and they have been the sweetest rats I've ever had. :3:
I'm so excited for you and your new ratties!

I think so, she has a brown rear too. She is very sweet and although shyer than Adam, she was tentatively climbing partly onto my arm last night. They're only mine for the next 10-11 days but man I want some of my own even more now.

Maeume posted:

AWW thew new baby is so sweet <3 Still not sure if a boy, or a girl.

I managed to sex a ~5-6 week old mouse when i got him with little experience in sexing stuff. I don't get how you could have trouble with a rat. :psyduck:

rats rats rats rats rats

yes guys please carry on sleeping in the wheel

this is what happens when you open the cage door. rats are much better than mice!

Eve has some porphyrin stains around her eye, boo. I was wrong about which rat is Boss Rat, I'm pretty sure now it's Eve. She's been bossing Adam around this morning. Both have had a teeny bit of toast and enjoyed it lots :3:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 28, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

I think so, she has a brown rear too. She is very sweet and although shyer than Adam, she was tentatively climbing partly onto my arm last night. They're only mine for the next 10-11 days but man I want some of my own even more now.

I managed to sex a ~5-6 week old mouse when i got him with little experience in sexing stuff. I don't get how you could have trouble with a rat. :psyduck:

yeah I've never understood the issues people have with sexing rodents. I'm not too into mice but even mice are easy by 2 or 3 days old. Rats people should be able to sex the second they pop out. :psyduck:

quote:

rats rats rats rats rats

yes guys please carry on sleeping in the wheel

this is what happens when you open the cage door. rats are much better than mice!

Eve has some porphyrin stains around her eye, boo. I was wrong about which rat is Boss Rat, I'm pretty sure now it's Eve. She's been bossing Adam around this morning. Both have had a teeny bit of toast and enjoyed it lots :3:

Your himi is a siamese. :3: Are you sure white rat is white? She looks awful dark.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I always get himi and Siamese mixed up :saddowns: Adam is definitely white, she's just a little dirty I think. I think Eve is outright bullying her, she's been in a hammock each time I've seen her today, and Eve keeps running over and power grooming her. I put some mealworms in the hammock and she ate them but I've not seen much of her today. Has the stress of moving upset the ~hierarchy~?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Garrus keeps picking up one of his hind feet this morning. Just while he's standing still - if he's walking, it looks totally normal, no limp or anything. He just stands there for a few seconds with that one foot off the ground. I picked him up and examined it, no open wound or swelling or even redness, and when I manipulate it he doesn't complain. Mostly he's just like "Put me down there's a bowl of rice in there that's calling my name!"

I guess I'll just keep an eye on him. Hopefully he's just being weird and it isn't anything to be concerned about.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Ratty tug of war :black101: Me and Eve played tug of war with a mushroom, I don't think she enjoyed it but I sure did :v: She kept stashing the mushroom bits (and harrassing Adam for the little scraps I gave her in the hopes she'd eat 'em quickly) so I kept getting them and handing them back to her. I'm a terrible person.

:ohdear: I promise to stop spamming the thread... eventually.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fraction posted:

:ohdear: I promise to stop spamming the thread... eventually.

Don't you dare.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I took Adam out for some one on one time, and also to give her a break from Eve's harassment. She crapped solidly for like a minute and a half, and then relaxed a little. She kept squinting at me and making a kind of chittering noise, google says that could either mean she was happy or she wanted to tear out my throat but I don't care. She'd stopped poopin' at least :v: Of course it was the perfect time of day for the sun hitting the living room, so of course I took pictures. Many pictures. I hope you like pictures :haw:

I think Eve might have nipped her ear, there's a little red mark. Hopefully they don't start fighting properly. Ever since Adam went back in the cage it's been quiet and she's actually been wandering around rather than sitting hunched up in the hammock, which is progress at least!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm enjoying all the gorgeous ratty pictures!

Since my little Wiley got the snip he has gotten over his Napoleon complex and now everyone plays together. Minty used to hiss even at Spartacus but since Wiley's vet trip they've all been best buddies. Maybe Wiley was upsetting them all?

My pics aren't as cute as everyone else's, but I <3 my ratlets.

My daughter being attacked by rats

Em and rats by Vaywen, on Flickr

Ratlets by Vaywen, on Flickr

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 29, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Big Bug Hug posted:

Since my little Wiley got the snip

I read this really wrong for a moment :v: Glad things are going better for your rats now, they are super cute.

Adam seems perkier today and was actually awake and about when I got up, so I got her out. She's been hanging with me for like 45 minutes and only pooped everywhere for the first minute or so. Ratlady dilemma: do not want to put her away so I can't have breakfast :saddowns:

My friend is super creeped by the rats, despite tolerating my mice just fine, because 'they are bigger and have big creepy tails and faces'. Derp.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Fraction posted:

I read this really wrong for a moment :v: Glad things are going better for your rats now, they are super cute.
Oops, haha.

I like that you have two girls named Adam and Eve :D

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

They suit their names, oddly enough. They used to be Tetley and Sprite, then got changed. At one point my friend had four; Adam, Eve, Apple and Eden. The other two ganged up on Adam and Eve and stressed them out constantly though, so he had to rehome them. Apple was such a cutie! I posted a photo of her itt way back when he got her iirc.

I've come to the realisation that shoulder rats are loving awesome. Adam doesn't really fit the bill but Eve totally does. She had a little sniff about, pooped and peed on the blanket on the stool for the first minute or so, and then slept on my shoulder for about an hour. She even bruxed a little :3: She didn't pee or poop on me at all either, which I was very happy about - my friend warned me that she can be bad about just pissing everywhere if she gets upset.

:ohdear: Ignore my messy hair, but I wasn't going to disturb her to grab a brush!

question: should i feed my mice to my dogs so i can get rats right now, y/n

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Fraction posted:

question: should i feed my mice to my dogs so i can get rats right now, y/n

YES

Or you can just wait a year or so and they'll die naturally and you'll have rats to console you. :D

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

daggerdragon posted:

YES

Or you can just wait a year or so and they'll die naturally and you'll have rats to console you. :D

Housemate's irl reaction to two of my mice dying so far: 'oh that's no good. But hey... two steps closer to rats!' Someone else said 'two down, three to go' :saddowns: 've already decided that if I get down to one mouse then I'll get rats, since I'm sure my little pet shop boy is going to live forever :v:

Ps you have rats right, post pictures of them so that it isn't just me being a ratlady itt :mad:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Fraction posted:

Housemate's irl reaction to two of my mice dying so far: 'oh that's no good. But hey... two steps closer to rats!' Someone else said 'two down, three to go' :saddowns: 've already decided that if I get down to one mouse then I'll get rats, since I'm sure my little pet shop boy is going to live forever :v:

Ps you have rats right, post pictures of them so that it isn't just me being a ratlady itt :mad:

I'm back in California visiting people. Rats are all back in Toronto :(. But you can bet that after my bf picked them up from boarding yesterday he made them say hi on Skype. I miss those little buggers.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Fraction posted:

After the last batch of 8, not anymore :( I just couldn't handle them dying every other month, and the last one left just slowly degenerated and it was horrible to watch. It's really hard on you, because they just don't live long enough. :(

I'll happily go coo at the rats up for adoption by Lollypop (huge humane society in the Rochester area) every time I'm near the Petsmart, though...

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Invalid Octopus posted:

I'm back in California visiting people. Rats are all back in Toronto :(. But you can bet that after my bf picked them up from boarding yesterday he made them say hi on Skype. I miss those little buggers.

Aww :3: You are under strict orders to Post Photos when you get back okay

daggerdragon posted:

After the last batch of 8, not anymore :( I just couldn't handle them dying every other month, and the last one left just slowly degenerated and it was horrible to watch. It's really hard on you, because they just don't live long enough. :(

That sucks :( I haven't get super duper attached to my small pets so far so I'm kind of dreading getting rats for that reason. But I don't think I could not get them, after having Adam and Eve here for like two days.

Speaking of which, Adam nailed me pretty hard on the back of the hand earlier. She's the biter of the two (Eve hasn't nipped me once) and my friend thinks she is partially blind. He hasn't been able to handle them much for the last couple of weeks so I assume that's partly contributing, but I don't know if it's worth it to force interaction on/force socialise Adam when I'll have her for less than a fortnight?

Eve was snoozing and bruxing on me again earlier, she is so loving cute and I want to steal her now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I've only had my first two, and both of them died completely without warning, but despite it being kind of brutal I just loved them so, so much. I know they were just my first pair and it might start to wear on me more, but they were such a source of joy to me I can't imagine not having some.

Let me finally dig up and post some pics of my bables!

All of these are from the car ride home. They were so tired, it was adorable. Atalanta, the mostly white one, is the one that pulled the escape routine the other day in my room. I ended up going to Petsmart that same day and impulse-buying a two-level Critter Nation. Which is probably the greatest thing I've ever purchased, not to mention they can't wriggle out through the bars. Nyx, the black one, was so exhausted on the ride home that she kept falling asleep in weird positions (see: her head jammed in the carrier corner, sleeping on her back) :3: So adorable.

mareep fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 30, 2012