Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Tytan, you ever make it to Nerd Night here in Phnom Penh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
There's a decent Indian vegetarian restaurant around Sampang district. Those joints are frequented by actual local Indians and aren't like the overpriced touristy Sukhumvit restaurants.

I think most Thais dislike Indian food because it really does have a pretty strong smell if you aren't used to it. Plus the general stereotype is consuming lots of Indian spices makes you stink. Thais are all about aesthetic. Japanese curry is ok because Japanese people are narak, clean, and polite. Indians may as well be space aliens.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Japanese is actually another one that a lot of local Khmers don't seem to enjoy, although I think that's because they associate all Japanese food with sashimi. It's kinda funny watching them try it for the first time. They can't get their head around it, why hasn't this fish been cooked!?

ReindeerF posted:

Tytan, you ever make it to Nerd Night here in Phnom Penh?
Nope can't say that I have, that's the thing they hold at Score bar sometimes right? You thinking of going to one?

I still need to check out that Hackerspace here too at some point...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

Japanese is actually another one that a lot of local Khmers don't seem to enjoy, although I think that's because they associate all Japanese food with sashimi. It's kinda funny watching them try it for the first time. They can't get their head around it, why hasn't this fish been cooked!?
It is always surprising when Thai people won't eat something, since they normally like to eat every single thing you put on a table and get completely freaked out when you say you don't like to eat fish or something, heh. Still, bring out Indian food or cheese or some other things and they get all :pwn:

Tytan posted:

Nope can't say that I have, that's the thing they hold at Score bar sometimes right? You thinking of going to one?
Yeah, I guess it moves around every two weeks? Ran into some of my cool NGO type friends (i.e. the kind that aren't constantly telling you about saving the world) and they told me about it, I hadn't heard of it. Apparently it's 20 slides, 20 seconds each and you don't control the slideshow, so you kind of have to keep up. I was joking about putting on a fake Russian accent and doing a pro-trafficking presentation. "You do not know how many job thees prowide in Krasnodar - you want steal bread from my family table?" just to watch the NGO heads explode, but this is in such poor taste even for Phnom Penh that we decided it would not be a good idea, heh.

Tytan posted:

I still need to check out that Hackerspace here too at some point...
And the mapping club!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I'm swapping Koh Tao for Bangkok for a couple of days, the 30th and 31st. Anyone keen for beer? I'll be staying literally across the road from MBK.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There's no South Asia thread is there? If so, someone go repost this there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJa2kwoZ2a4

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Haha that was... painful. List so far:

Thailand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS7hZhO0ee8

Laos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_qEYNY3zk

Malaysia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhoQvkp-Kww

Bonus Balkans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GbLdmypMmU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Went to Palawan to take the underground river tour. Only wore insect repellent during the tour, had a nasty bite on my finger in the hotel I stayed at in Puerto Princesa that is just now starting to go away almost 5 days later.

Having a little bit of lower back pain which I usually have (at least that is how I am trying to justify it), some muscle pain (I went diving and snorkeling and I don't get a lot of physical activity) and my girlfriend said my head felt hot earlier today. I really hope I'm just psyching myself out mentally here and I'm not coming down with what I think I am.

Also, I took the Honda Bay tour as well and went snorkeling and there was a bunch of people standing on the reefs. Don't do that! :argh:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

its the dengue

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
Hey, Finch! check your PM's, sir.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FordPRefectLL posted:

Having a little bit of lower back pain which I usually have (at least that is how I am trying to justify it), some muscle pain (I went diving and snorkeling and I don't get a lot of physical activity) and my girlfriend said my head felt hot earlier today. I really hope I'm just psyching myself out mentally here and I'm not coming down with what I think I am.
Do you have a rash at all, like on your chest or arms? That's the most common visible symptom. I've had it twice (three strains to go!) and I didn't get it diagnosed until a week and a half or so in the first time, thinking, "Well, I run every day and I'm just a little sick." Oops. Of course the odds are way against you having it, but it's not uncommon either, so be careful. It's completely manageable for healthy people in the vast majority of cases just by drinking tons of water and resting, but there are two key things:

1) Don't take Ibuprofen, aspirin or any other blood-thinning medications (paracetamol is fine) as the disease already impacts the ability of your blood to clot properly.

2) If you start to bleed from your gums or anything, get to a hospital fast, as a very tiny number of people develop hemorrhagic dengue, which is the kind that can potentially kill you. Very uncommon, of course, so I wouldn't get too worried.

On the plus side, I kept running, caught some form of GI bug at the same time and lost a lot of weight with no death or bleeding. Good times! Take the dengue diet!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Deer_fire posted:

Hey, Finch! check your PM's, sir.

Done.

Anyone else down for Bangkok beer on the 30th or 31st?

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

FordPRefectLL posted:

Having a little bit of lower back pain which I usually have (at least that is how I am trying to justify it)

Those little boats for the underground river are really uncomfortable.

Also, I went to PP after El Nido, and that was a huge mistake. PP is a cesspool of dirty old white dudes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

TheLizard posted:

a cesspool of dirty old white dudes.
Thread title change, please. Accurate description of enough of SE Asia to warrant it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

TheLizard posted:

Those little boats for the underground river are really uncomfortable.

Also, I went to PP after El Nido, and that was a huge mistake. PP is a cesspool of dirty old white dudes.

I am still reading my way through the thread but this is the truest thing I've read about that place so far. The girlfriend and I had this old German dude from another Honda Bay tour massively creeping on us the entire time. We saw him at the snorkel rental place and he kept pretending to step on my feet and wouldn't stop flirting with her. We got to the first island and he was wandering around in a ripped speedo just awkwardly invading people's comfort zones. I always feel a little gross whenever I visit tourist spots in the Philippines or go have lunch in Makati with my ~Internet Friends~ because I see a lot of them. I wasn't super impressed with PP since I live on Kauai but I hear El Nido is cool so I really want to take a trip up there later this year.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 27, 2012

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Finch! posted:

Done.

Anyone else down for Bangkok beer on the 30th or 31st?

Yeah maybe, when/where are you guys meeting?

Furious Pete eats food in Bangkok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2yLOh6coFs

How do I change the thread title?

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 27, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Holy Christ, who is this person?

EDIT: I bet when a tuk tuk driver lands a dude with a camera crew he just about blows his load, heh.

EDIT: "Here in Bangkok market" - didn't know we had one.

EDIT: I'm trying to imagine someone more offensive to Thai sensibilities than this guy, but it's tough without picturing an Indian bargaining for things while putting his feet on the seller's head.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 27, 2012

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

TheLizard posted:

PP is a cesspool of dirty old white dudes.

For some reason I glanced at this and thought you were talking about Phnom Penh, and I was gonna say it was a bit unfair.

Then I realised you were talking about somewhere else.

And then I realised it's not a bad description of Phnom Penh anyway.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

FordPRefectLL posted:

but I hear El Nido is cool so I really want to take a trip up there later this year.

I had an amazing time. If you do go, if possible try to stay outside of El Nido town proper for your hotel. The line of hotels and B&Bs on the west-ward facing stretch of beach just SW of the city is removed from the bustle, smell, and chaos of El Nido town, but only a few minutes away by tricycle.

Actually, when you do make plans to go, just post here again and I (and possibly TheLizard) will be more than happy to fill you in with a ton of more specifics.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

For some reason I glanced at this and thought you were talking about Phnom Penh, and I was gonna say it was a bit unfair.

Then I realised you were talking about somewhere else.

And then I realised it's not a bad description of Phnom Penh anyway.
Exactly what happened to me, heh.

EDIT: With more Zs and fewer Ss.

any colour you like
Jul 19, 2006

Prying open my third eye
Really sore muscles, sore throat, high fever with sudden onset and hypersensitive nerves (almost feels like i am taking mdma, but with an uncomfortable edge). Just the flu or could it be something exotic? I guess it's hard to say, but one thing that isn't hard to say: I am not moving on to Sumbawa tomorrow :(

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You can diagnose Dengue within the first week. Take some paracetamol and give it a day or so. If it gets worse, hit a hospital (everyone goes to hospitals here for everything, local clinics if you're in a considerably poorer area, but they're spotty).

EDIT: What I mean is that after the first week or ten days or something they can tell you that you probably have it, but the antibody or whatever it is they look for to diagnose it 100% isn't present anymore.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 28, 2012

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hilarious Thai short film. Must see for acting and englit:

A FRIENDLY VISIT short [ENG-Heavy Thai accent]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzyGZ0okeq0

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hahaha. You are da primp!

I've lived here long enough that the English impressed me 555.

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin

ReindeerF posted:

Holy Christ, who is this person?

EDIT: I'm trying to imagine someone more offensive to Thai sensibilities than this guy, but it's tough without picturing an Indian bargaining for things while putting his feet on the seller's head.

This guy could single handedly give the mantle back to the US as worlds worst tourists.

I committed a social faux pas the other day. I was standing outside of a shop in Chiang Mai and noticed a monk standing next to me. We caught each others eye so I said Sawatdee Krup and he gave me a big smile and nodded. Later I was advised by a friend that I was ting tong farang and that monks cannot speak to people on the streets. Apparently if I go to the monastery we can engage in krups all day long :)

What's with Monks using Iphones? I am noticing it alot more lately...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Very old, but a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5RxOrmSxw

This would get banned from the air back home, heh. Still cracks me up.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
This might be old news but I seen this insane wikileaks video the other day of the CP celebrating the birthday of his dog (that has military status) with his wife.

Wouldn't suggest searching for it if you're in the kingdom but WOW.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

Very old, but a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5RxOrmSxw

This would get banned from the air back home, heh. Still cracks me up.

On my 2nd day in Singapore I was looking for a flat with a guy my Girlfriend had hooked me up with called 'Ken'. Unaware that Singaporeans (and the locality) tend to basically state 'Can.' 'Cannot.', 'Got' 'No Got', It was absolutely painful. Driving around the place while I'd ask an arbitrary question which was always got the response 'Can.'

I was sitting in the passenger seat of this guys car for 30 minutes, thinking he's just stating his name over and over.

It was weird, and I have since become less retated. :unsmith:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

You can diagnose Dengue within the first week. Take some paracetamol and give it a day or so. If it gets worse, hit a hospital (everyone goes to hospitals here for everything, local clinics if you're in a considerably poorer area, but they're spotty).

EDIT: What I mean is that after the first week or ten days or something they can tell you that you probably have it, but the antibody or whatever it is they look for to diagnose it 100% isn't present anymore.

They got mine as soon as they did the bloodwork, I spent a week laid up at Bangkok International with an IV drip and terrible food. In hindsight I would have been OK toughing it out at a guesthouse or hotel, but I was feeling pretty gnarly and thought I had health insurance (I did, but they tried to fight me on the claim for a gently caress-up on the hospital's part).

Also, dengue hat trick! Impressive.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I had my first bad experience with a taxi driver in Quezon City after coming here 5 times. Made the horrible mistake of mentioning to my girlfriend that I only had a 500p bill in my pocket, prick stops and gets 400p worth of gas along the route. We get there and the fare comes out to about 96p and he just assumes I'm going to hand him the whole 500, had my gf go upstairs and get our coin jar after he started giving me a hard time about it, paid him entirely in 1p coins.

Also, saw The Bourne Legacy. My immersion was ruined during the Manila car chase because everyone was moving slow and staying in their lane.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
:siren: Bangkok beer, tomorrow night. Who's in? :siren:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FordPRefectLL posted:

Also, saw The Bourne Legacy. My immersion was ruined during the Manila car chase because everyone was moving slow and staying in their lane.
Haha. Was it during rush hour on the first Friday after payday on EDSA? Any real Manila car chase would involve lots of not-moving while honking and yelling out the window.

any colour you like
Jul 19, 2006

Prying open my third eye

ReindeerF posted:

I think it just was a normal fever. Probably got sick from freezing my rear end off for three nights while trekking Rinjani. The fever is gone and I only have a sore throat now. Rented a motorbike for 21 days and I am heading to Sumbawa tomorrow!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I was checking on how to potentially get a Chinese visa in Singapore and I came across this in the FAQ.

Apparently this is a frequent question?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So I was checking on how to potentially get a Chinese visa in Singapore and I came across this in the FAQ.

Apparently this is a frequent question?

Google takes your previous searches into account when suggesting fill ins. So stop watching videos of teen gymnasts, ok.

Oh wait it's not Google. Must be a Singapore thing!

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Just got back from a week in Laos.

Vientiane is unfortunately slowly transforming into Bangkok lite. I remember my first time there in 2008 it was a pretty sleepy city but now there's actually traffic and big new toyota camaries, suvs, and mercedes clogging up the one way streets now. There's also pizza co., swensens, black canyon, and fuji slowly colonizing the restaurant scene with their odious Thai conglomerate presence. Once the first Central dept store opens up in Laos we can just call it a day. There are a lot more middle class looking Laotians everywhere in the evening too eating and drinking at what used to be foreigner joints.

The officials tore down the cool Mekong riverfront restaurants and erected a generic looking promenade walk thingy that has a tacky red tent nightmarket which all sell the same Chinese products.

In Vang Vieng:
Bad news for the backpacking and gap year hippies the authorities are cracking down on the tubing "scene" now and have shut down some of the bars where you can maim yourself on various swings and slides. I went kayaking down the river and there were only a couple places to get poo poo faced on buckets. One of the bars had an amusing talking bird which said things like gently caress yourself and sabaii dee over and over again much to the amusement of the chinese package tourists.

Riding a motorbike around there was still fun though.

Low season in Vang Vieng is great it's almost like a ghost town except for around dinner time when you see many more tourists walking around.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Vientiane is being bought up by the Chinese and commercialized by the Thais, yeah. I read somewhere they're getting a Tesco or something soon. The fountain downtown has been under construction forever now and they've changed plans like 6 times, so which has destroyed that once idyllic French Indochinese town center thing they had going. A shame really.

On the other hand, if you've got some free capital and a trustworthy Laos business partner you can make a fortune on property there at the moment. It's bubble time and the Chinese are pouring in to buy - thanks to a relatively recent legislative loophole.

One thing I found funny is that it's also being populated with sub-outlets of the froofy Phnom Penh NGO/Artsy expat-owned chains. A lot of those restaurants down near the fountain that look super-kitschy are branches of PP joints, so I assume there's more and more cross-population of that Phnom Penh HiSo expat crowd there (which would make sense).

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A couple of years ago at the Thai-Laos border the guy infront of me was carrying Pizza Company pizzas into Laos. Maybe he was the servant of some rich Laos family. I also remember all the Laos plate SUVs parked infront of the fanciest hotel in Udon Thani, which really isn't that fancy.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

Vientiane is being bought up by the Chinese and commercialized by the Thais, yeah. I read somewhere they're getting a Tesco or something soon. The fountain downtown has been under construction forever now and they've changed plans like 6 times, so which has destroyed that once idyllic French Indochinese town center thing they had going. A shame really.
They finally settled on a design for that fountain now and it's up and running. They also built some really awkward looking buildings in front which partially block the view of that square from the street.

I'm pretty mixed on what this new found surface prosperity really means though. For Laos especially it just seems like most of it is some kind of trickle down economic prosperity from Chinese capital fleeing the mainland looking for better returns. At least Thailand, Vietnam, and possibly Cambodia have some solid foundations behind its new found growth.

However I do see some reasonable attempts at ISI economic development in Laos. When I browsed the products on the M point shelves I noticed more Lao brand food and household products than I saw in previous years. Even a few years ago it seemed like 90% of the stuff you saw was from Thailand or China now it's more like 70%. They also have some kind of Lao Brand motorscooters that starts with the letter K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Modus Operandi posted:

They finally settled on a design for that fountain now and it's up and running. They also built some really awkward looking buildings in front which partially block the view of that square from the street.
No poo poo? They had settled on about the fifth one when I was there and it was still all fenced off - that was a couple of months ago. The proposed design looked like what you mention (hideous and stupid). It was a great patio cafe area a few years ago, but their rampant attempts to modernize poo poo that doesn't need modernizing (as opposed to infrastructure and so on) have ruined it :(

Modus Operandi posted:

I'm pretty mixed on what this new found surface prosperity really means though. For Laos especially it just seems like most of it is some kind of trickle down economic prosperity from Chinese capital fleeing the mainland looking for better returns. At least Thailand, Vietnam, and possibly Cambodia have some solid foundations behind its new found growth.
Yeah, that's what I hear. My friend lives up there and married a Laos woman. He's an economist by training and a pretty smart guy. Reads and speaks the language. He bought some property 15m outside town a year back and it's worth about double now. Fifteen minutes outside VIENTIANE (i.e. the middle of nowhere). What you allude to is exactly what's happening. Chinese capital fleeing China and Laos people getting the trickle down by selling off their property. Why can't they just marry into the place like they did in Thailand and take it over wholesale ^__^

Insert politically charged Mahathir rant here.

EDIT: Trivia - Laos has the smallest publicly traded stock exchange in the world. It has like 1,2 or 3 issues on it, I forget, and volume is like 13 shares a day or something tiny, heh. My friend heard another friend (a banker we know) bragging about how tough it was to get licensed to trade on it, so he went down and did it in an afternoon, making him one of the only Western licensed traders on the Laos stock exchange. I seriously thought about doing it too so I could hang the license up somewhere. Nice conversation piece.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 1, 2012