Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Himuro posted:

gently caress you.

Your post made me reinstall San Andreas.

I'm finding the pc controls dreadful compared to say, III or Vice City, drive by controls in particular. Ugh. :(

Download San Andreas Advanced Control and play with a 360 controller. You'll thank me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Himuro posted:

gently caress you.

I'm finding the pc controls dreadful compared to say, III or Vice City, drive by controls in particular. Ugh. :(

It's worth buying a PS3 controller simply to use for PC games.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Download San Andreas Advanced Control and play with a 360 controller. You'll thank me.

I put it in my steam folder and it's not loading when I boot it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wotalt posted:

Why buy a new copy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grand-Theft...=item564bfaf693

Unfortunately it seems the Xbox version is significantly more expensive than on the PS2, since it was the best-selling PS2 game. If you can score a copy with the poster and manual, they're pretty cool. Biggest poster I've seen from a DVD case.

Doesn't the PS2 version of SA run horribly? I played it on release and I'm pretty sure even back then the pop-in was terrible and it ran at a near constant 20FPS until you started a gunfight, whereupon the entire console would poo poo itself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GUI posted:

Doesn't the PS2 version of SA run horribly?

Er, no, not at all?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Himuro posted:

gently caress you.

Might have to start it up again too, but I only have it on my Mac Mini at the moment and it makes the fan kick in and whirr like crazy not long after it starts. I'll have to see if my old Xbox works..

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Himuro posted:

gently caress you.

You're welcome!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

precision posted:

Er, no, not at all?

No actually it totally does. The draw distance is poo poo the graphics quality in general is crap, and the game rarely manages a steady 30 fps during anything intensive.

The Xbox 1 release is much better in nearly all respects, and naturally the PC release is even better still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjdXAbQ11Yo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Install Gentoo posted:

No actually it totally does. The draw distance is poo poo the graphics quality in general is crap, and the game rarely manages a steady 30 fps during anything intensive.

The Xbox 1 release is much better in nearly all respects, and naturally the PC release is even better still.

drat, I forgot the PS2 version looked that bad in comparison to the XBOX/PC versions. I only played through it once, like the weekend it came out. Then for a few months after, until the PC version came out. But I haven't played it on PS2 in like, what, 7 years? So glad the PC version looked/ran as well as it did. XBOX version too, for the most part.

Everything in that video from the PS2 version looks so...yellow. Like the color temperature is severely blown out.

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer
Catalina was annoying as gently caress. Intentionally so but still.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Install Gentoo posted:

What's funny is tha 50% oft people are actually replying to that vid preferring the PS2 version.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

DehatstyTopinbout posted:

Catalina was annoying as gently caress. Intentionally so but still.

She loving ruled. :colbert: Crazy, wild sex! Let's go stick up a random convenience store! Holy gently caress, look at that hot guy! I'm going with him!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Didn't Catalina basically rape CJ at one point at her home in the mountains? :laffo:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yes! She did!

So tonight in my SA playthrough, I busted through Los Santos to get into the countryside illegally. It was nice.

I haven't messed with the countryside in years, at least since 2005 or 2006. And it really brought back a rush of San Andreas memories. SA was my favorite GTA when it first came out. I spent over 100 hours with it. It was my love, my joy. But now every time I try to replay San Andreas, I can't get past Los Santos. It is so loving boring doing these missions.

But going through the countryside again after so long reminded me how loving awesome the game gets once you get past Los Santos.

I'm going to keep on pushing and get to the country. I remember when I first played SA and you're pushed inside the trunk of that car, and then let out into a random rear end town, and end up doing crazy missions with Catalina. It was so insane and fun and new. I really hope GTAV offers half that experience.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 26, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Himuro posted:

She loving ruled. :colbert: Crazy, wild sex! Let's go stick up a random convenience store! Holy gently caress, look at that hot guy! I'm going with him!

It still boggles my mind how long Claude managed to maintain a relationship with Catalina before she gutshot him and left him to his fate. I guess the fact he never talked help, being able to answer back sure as hell never helped CJ. Catalina ruled.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Catalina is the best GTA bad guy. :colbert: That's not a main character.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I'm an ambitious girl, and you...you're just small time! :smug:"

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Himuro posted:

Yes! She did!

I'm going to keep on pushing and get to the country. I remember when I first played SA and you're pushed inside the trunk of that car, and then let out into a random rear end town, and end up doing crazy missions with Catalina. It was so insane and fun and new. I really hope GTAV offers half that experience.

And the best thing was that even though you were in a completely different environment, it was connected through a geographical continuity to the rest of the game's world, making it feel like you've actually gone on a journey.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

AngryCaterpillar posted:

And the best thing was that even though you were in a completely different environment, it was connected through a geographical continuity to the rest of the game's world, making it feel like you've actually gone on a journey.

I liked that, too. After being able to regain control of CJ, opening up the map, looking at where you are and realizing that you were so far from home.

Were there loading screens between the islands in III and Vice City? I want to say there were, but can't quite remember. I DO remember being really psyched that there weren't going to be any loading screens in San Andreas, and that you could drive all the way from one side of the map to the other.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Simon Draskovic posted:

Were there loading screens between the islands in III and Vice City?

Yes.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
SA was my favourite by far, but I have fond memories of the motorbike mission in Vice City. The one where you have to jump from building to building via crashing through windows or from rooftop. If you could do it in one continuous streak it left a feeling of accomplishment glowing inside you.

And of course: everyone's favourite scene from SA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP7gwlvLp8M

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Simon Draskovic posted:

Were there loading screens between the islands in III and Vice City? I want to say there were, but can't quite remember. I DO remember being really psyched that there weren't going to be any loading screens in San Andreas, and that you could drive all the way from one side of the map to the other.

Yeah, and on my computer with 192MB of RAM, they took FOREVER.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Install Gentoo posted:

Oh, I wasn't really disagreeing with that - the PC version is what I've always replayed it on. I was just saying that the PS2 version wasn't some unplayable mess like the post I was responding to implied. I really don't remember gunfight slowdowns or anything. And I definitely don't remember it being that yellow, I'm not sure I trust that video 100%. It's a console warrior video with grammatical mistakes, it's automatically suspect. :colbert:

PC version + PS3 controller = Super fun good times!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Xbox version of SA was effectively a toned down version of the PC build. Yeah, it looked and played a little better, but it was also 8 months after the PS2 version and had a number of glitches that I constantly ran into that were not in the original version (mostly sound related, like the engine sound going quiet at top speed in a car, and automatic weapon fire skipping the sound of 2-3 shots at a time). Nothing game breaking that I remember, but annoying. I remember the PS2 version playing a bit slow, but being pretty bug-free for me.

It wasn't super pretty on either console, for that matter, either. :colbert:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That console war is over, son. Let it go.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
The more I think about it the more I think that it is at least possible that it would come out in time for Christmas this year.

GTAIV came out in April 2008 after a 6 month delay. That would mean it was at least feature set in October 2007 so they have been working on V since then in some way or another. Thats given them a long time. Yes they have helped a little on RDR and LA Noir but that would not be full teams.

It also makes a lot of sense. Xbox and PS3 have about a year left as leading consoles and will most likely be replaced next year by the next gen stuff. If this is not a current gen game then there really was no point to the trailer or the screen shots yet.

I would also expect that they have big plans for DLC. Not much point it hitting the shelves with a few months left till we all buy next gen machines.

In short, im not going to be at all surprised if a new trailer hits in the next few weeks with the release date that makes us all go crazy.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bigsteve posted:

I would also expect that they have big plans for DLC. Not much point it hitting the shelves with a few months left till we all buy next gen machines.
That's not really how the industry works. Market penetration is still huge on 360 and PS3 so plenty of big-name games will still be releasing for those platforms through 2013, even if a new console is out at the end of next year.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
It takes a little getting used to but once you play SA with the mouse and keyboard a little the controls are incredibly precise and fast. I used to play lots of deathmatches in the multiplayer mod and trying to use a gamepad at all was impossible compared to mouse and keyboard. Plus you could do the crouch shooting bug with the keyboard that let you unload your heavy weapons into cars at ridiculous speeds so they dont get away as easy. Part of the reason I didn't like 4 as much is because it felt like Niko took forever to do anything at all compared to in the 3 era games and it just bugged me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bigsteve posted:

The more I think about it the more I think that it is at least possible that it would come out in time for Christmas this year.

It's certainly possible. Rockstar have always been a fan of the "Surprise! It's coming out in a few months!" announce trailer, and GTA games have generally followed the pattern of having the first trailer about a year before the game drops.

Basically I just want to play some GTA Tennis already.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I hope 5 has some extensive stat tracking, I know games these days love their achievements and funny little bits. I want to know every little detail, if there are little bonuses for these too, all the better.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That console war is over, son. Let it go.

Haha. PTSD maybe? I didn't mean it to sound warrior-y, sorry.

I really hope they can manage a simultaneous release for all platforms this time.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Bigsteve posted:

GTAIV came out in April 2008 after a 6 month delay. That would mean it was at least feature set in October 2007 so they have been working on V since then in some way or another. Thats given them a long time. Yes they have helped a little on RDR and LA Noir but that would not be full teams.

It also makes a lot of sense. Xbox and PS3 have about a year left as leading consoles and will most likely be replaced next year by the next gen stuff. If this is not a current gen game then there really was no point to the trailer or the screen shots yet.

In short, im not going to be at all surprised if a new trailer hits in the next few weeks with the release date that makes us all go crazy.

Not everyone buys a next gen machine on day one, in fact many people may wait years. Apart from the Wii-U I don't think the 720 or PS4 will be out that soon anyway.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cephalectomy posted:

It takes a little getting used to but once you play SA with the mouse and keyboard a little the controls are incredibly precise and fast. I used to play lots of deathmatches in the multiplayer mod and trying to use a gamepad at all was impossible compared to mouse and keyboard. Plus you could do the crouch shooting bug with the keyboard that let you unload your heavy weapons into cars at ridiculous speeds so they dont get away as easy. Part of the reason I didn't like 4 as much is because it felt like Niko took forever to do anything at all compared to in the 3 era games and it just bugged me.

Does anyone remember the Grenades goon team on the wtfman san andreas server, and that other team of guys who used controllers so they could enable-autoaim in gunfights? I loved goonrushing jerk-heads with 4 pink SUV's full of nerd rage.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nintendo will shock everyone at PAX Prime this year when Reggie comes out, reveals a GTA5 tattoo, and tells us it will be a WiiU launch title.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

wa27 posted:

Nintendo will shock everyone at PAX Prime this year when Reggie comes out, reveals a GTA5 tattoo, and tells us it will be a WiiU launch title.

Using the GamePad as a smartphone :allears:

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho
I recall hearing rumblings that Rockstar was going to play up the end of the Mayan Calendar theme. If that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to come out this year?

It's gimmicky and will make the game feel pretty dated and y2kish if they do have alot of Mayan stuff and the game comes out next year. Unless they just invent a new race and change the date on the calendar or something :shrug:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont think you have to worry about that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Using the GamePad as a smartphone

Speaking of which, I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar managed to be the first company to make an iOS/Android app tie-in "game" that actually is fun/does something, considering the focus on social networking they've been touting/hinting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone seen this yet? It's blowing my mind right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3-xw_BOwo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

FCKGW posted:

Anyone seen this yet? It's blowing my mind right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3-xw_BOwo

Combine this with LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption and it would be amazing.

• Locked thread