Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Cyclops are less fun when your wizard keeps him stunlocked with lightning. He never takes the helmet off himself so I can only flail at his taint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Man, I beat the piss out of this game as a mystic knight when it first came out and now I think its time to rock out as an assassin with my badass fighter pawn and no magic users. Ever.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

^^^ Everyone should devote at least part of a playthrough to maxing out Assassin because it is rad.

Pretty much everyone's killed the ur-dragon, right? I’m sitting at level 89 about halfway through my 3rd playthrough. I’m pretty sure that for most of you the ur-dragon is tired and boring by now, but except for flailing at him in post-game for about 10 seconds I’ve never fought it. I figured that I should make a serious attempt at killing it, since the gear I have is pretty bad considering my level and I could use those drops.

The first time I went in he was 111th generation, but I only fought him once or twice, then didn’t get a chance to come back to it for a couple of days.

When I went in yesterday it was Gen 113, with 4 pips and a 90% full health bar. I fought him 8 or 10 times and bought 4 Maker’s Fingers and 10 ferrystones, as well as burning through almost all of my stockpiled healing items and several strength buffs. I had to sell off all the spare gear I was saving to gift low-level pawns to finance it.

When I left it for the night he was at 1 pip and about 25% on the bar, but I had been up for a long time and needed to sleep. When I got back on at about 4 this morning, he had been killed. I did end up walking away with Heaven’s Key and the two white staves, but I can’t help feeling like I wasted two playthroughs worth of resources.

When it comes to actually getting the kill, do you actually have to poopsock? I don’t think I have the time to fight the dragon for 3 straight days.

Is anyone else still actively farming the ur-dragon? Maybe we could keep each other up-to-speed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

titties posted:

^^^ Everyone should devote at least part of a playthrough to maxing out Assassin because it is rad.

Pretty much everyone's killed the ur-dragon, right? I’m sitting at level 89 about halfway through my 3rd playthrough. I’m pretty sure that for most of you the ur-dragon is tired and boring by now, but except for flailing at him in post-game for about 10 seconds I’ve never fought it. I figured that I should make a serious attempt at killing it, since the gear I have is pretty bad considering my level and I could use those drops.

The first time I went in he was 111th generation, but I only fought him once or twice, then didn’t get a chance to come back to it for a couple of days.

When I went in yesterday it was Gen 113, with 4 pips and a 90% full health bar. I fought him 8 or 10 times and bought 4 Maker’s Fingers and 10 ferrystones, as well as burning through almost all of my stockpiled healing items and several strength buffs. I had to sell off all the spare gear I was saving to gift low-level pawns to finance it.

When I left it for the night he was at 1 pip and about 25% on the bar, but I had been up for a long time and needed to sleep. When I got back on at about 4 this morning, he had been killed. I did end up walking away with Heaven’s Key and the two white staves, but I can’t help feeling like I wasted two playthroughs worth of resources.

When it comes to actually getting the kill, do you actually have to poopsock? I don’t think I have the time to fight the dragon for 3 straight days.

Is anyone else still actively farming the ur-dragon? Maybe we could keep each other up-to-speed.

If you really want to experience the Ur-Dragon properly, disable online mode and fight him Single player. You'll get less rewards and no chance to get the masks (but only the masks - everything else is still in the loot table), but it's just way more fun than trying to fight him online and basically having no real impact on the fight no matter what you do. Actually scoring the kill comes down to lucky timing more than anything else.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has there been any info on whether or not we might see a PC port of this game at some point in the future?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Has there been any info on whether or not we might see a PC port of this game at some point in the future?

There's been talk of a sequel but nothing about new ports.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em

Blacktoll posted:

Man, I beat the piss out of this game as a mystic knight when it first came out and now I think its time to rock out as an assassin with my badass fighter pawn and no magic users. Ever.
Definitely gonna drop sorcerers from my party since they just kill monsters too fast.

TrevorP
Aug 30, 2012

It's Trevor time.
I recently purchased Dragon's Dogma about 2 weeks ago, I have no clue where I am in the story, but I just got imprisoned for being in the duchesses chamber. Regardless, I am curious when I can further upgrade my vocation? Currently I am a fighter with a sword and shield, but I would much prefer to have a 2h sword, any answers on how to go about doing so?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TrevorP posted:

I recently purchased Dragon's Dogma about 2 weeks ago, I have no clue where I am in the story, but I just got imprisoned for being in the duchesses chamber. Regardless, I am curious when I can further upgrade my vocation? Currently I am a fighter with a sword and shield, but I would much prefer to have a 2h sword, any answers on how to go about doing so?

Once you get out of jail, go see the innkeeper in Gran Soren, he can change your vocation and allow you to buy more skills.

I think it is the warrior class that specializes in two handed swords.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Indeed, they have exclusive access.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
I just beat this game for the first time, and I guess I'm supposed to go on to new game plus, but why? wasn't the whole point of killing myself to end the cycle of the dragon coming down and loving poo poo up, then killing the dragon then going on to killing god then becoming god. Why would I start a new game and go kill the dragon again? So I can ultimately end up killing myself again?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Biggie Shorty posted:

I just beat this game for the first time, and I guess I'm supposed to go on to new game plus, but why? wasn't the whole point of killing myself to end the cycle of the dragon coming down and loving poo poo up, then killing the dragon then going on to killing god then becoming god. Why would I start a new game and go kill the dragon again? So I can ultimately end up killing myself again?

Well it's mostly so if you want to explore the mechanics some more, or just steamroll the content with your OP character. I'm not gonna complain about a NG+, even if it is lackluster in light of some more original takes we've seen on NG+ lately.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm almost done with the big final quest, and it's never been more clear to me that "Monster Hunter-style" gameplay isn't for me. I enjoyed the game immensely until I had explored all the land and beaten every enemy-type. But spending hours grinding enemy parts so I can upgrade to the best kind of armor for no other reason than having the best armor? Screw that, can't be bothered. That's why I hate Monster Hunter and dropped Peace Walker the moment the main story line ended (it was months afterwards that I found out about the hidden ending).

This final quest? It's like god drat torture. And the worst part is that I have gathered tons of enemy parts throughout the whole game haven't been able to put a lot of to use since you need giant flow chart to know what to do and I just don't enjoy that kind of gameplay.

Here's hoping the sequel focuses on having more enemy types and more varied encounters. I also want to be able to switch between shield/bow or staff/sword with the press of a button, and a complete revamp of the healing mechanic. Instead of pausing the game and sorting through menus, they should just have less types of healing items and force the player to use the items in-game, complete with a healing animation, like in Demon's Souls. I didn't even like that game, but the menu healing in DD is stupid and takes you out of the fight every time you use an item.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 2, 2012

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Renoistic posted:

A long time ago ITT someone asked about my Geralt and Zoltan characters, but I never got around to buying the thing you need to edit existing characters so I could check how I made them.
Well, now I've finally bought it so I thought I'd share.

When I write colors as numbers I count them from left to right.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 etc..

Geralt of Rivia

Voice: 1

Hairstyle: 25 Color: 18
Face: 40 Size: 7 (from 1 to 9) Color: 5
Eyes: 15 V: 2 (1 to 5) Sp: 3 Size: 3 Color1and2: 18
Brows: 34 V: 3 Sp: 3 Color: 11
Nose: 13 V: 3 Size: 3
Mouth: 01 V: 3
Ears: 02 V: 3 Pos.: 3

Stature: H: 6 W: 3 Color: 5
Musculature: 4
Torso: 03
Arms: 03
Legs: 11
Posture: 4
Stance: 4

Scars: 27
Wrinkles: 3
Facial Hair: 01 Color 4
Makeup: 02 Color: 7 (Makes the eyes "pop" but he looks pretty funny in some cutscenes)

Zoltan

Voice: 2

Hairstyle: 39 Color: 2
Face: 27 Size: 5 (from 1 to 9) Color: 11
Eyes: 24 V: 2 (1 to 5) Sp: 1 Size: 1 Color1and2: 4
Brows: 37 V: 1 Sp: 1 Color: 1
Nose: 28 V: 5 Size: 5 (Don't ever ask him about his nose)
Mouth: 21 V: 5
Ears: 06 V: 1 Pos.: 3

Stature: H: 1 W: 5 Color: 11
Musculature: 5
Torso: 09
Arms: 11
Legs: 08
Posture: 1 (It's a dog's life)
Stance: 5

Scars: 34
Wrinkles: 4
Facial Hair: 23 Color 2
Makeup: 01

Here they are as they first started out :unsmith:

Awesome, thanks! Have to make these characters and maybe finish the play through this time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Renoistic posted:

I'm almost done with the big final quest, and it's never been more clear to me that "Monster Hunter-style" gameplay isn't for me. I enjoyed the game immensely until I had explored all the land and beaten every enemy-type. But spending hours grinding enemy parts so I can upgrade to the best kind of armor for no other reason than having the best armor? Screw that, can't be bothered. That's why I hate Monster Hunter and dropped Peace Walker the moment the main story line ended (it was months afterwards that I found out about the hidden ending).

This final quest? It's like god drat torture. And the worst part is that I have gathered tons of enemy parts throughout the whole game haven't been able to put a lot of to use since you need giant flow chart to know what to do and I just don't enjoy that kind of gameplay.
So don't worry about it. It's not like you need the best equipment for anything except to speed up Ur-Dragon grinding, which doesn't sound like something you want to do anyway.

I don't understand your comment about the final quest, though. If you do it right there's no grinding at all. Just do the chambers with enemies you didn't see up to that point in the game, like the evil eye, archydra, and drake variants.

quote:

Here's hoping the sequel focuses on having more enemy types and more varied encounters. I also want to be able to switch between shield/bow or staff/sword with the press of a button, and a complete revamp of the healing mechanic. Instead of pausing the game and sorting through menus, they should just have less types of healing items and force the player to use the items in-game, complete with a healing animation, like in Demon's Souls. I didn't even like that game, but the menu healing in DD is stupid and takes you out of the fight every time you use an item.
They said they tried this while developing the game but it made it too difficult, since it was so easy to get knocked down and then die while helpless. The Souls games are different in that (if you're doing it right) you generally only fight one or two enemies at a time, while DD has no compunction about throwing scads of enemies at you at once, including ones with special attacks that hit you while you're down (wolves and goblins.)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sindai posted:

They said they tried this while developing the game but it made it too difficult, since it was so easy to get knocked down and then die while helpless. The Souls games are different in that (if you're doing it right) you generally only fight one or two enemies at a time, while DD has no compunction about throwing scads of enemies at you at once, including ones with special attacks that hit you while you're down (wolves and goblins.)

I don't really get that argument, though. There are plenty of attacks that require you to stand still for several seconds. They could at least have made it an option - it's not like the animation has to take forever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Renoistic posted:

I don't really get that argument, though. There are plenty of attacks that require you to stand still for several seconds.
Well yeah, but you can always choose not to use those when you have low health (or heal first.) You don't have a lot of choice about when you need to heal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I just escaped from the Everfall after my first visit there. What exactly should I do now? Just beeline for the Duke's castle, or try to putz around with sidequests?

The game world's so generic that I have zero investment in it, so a little direction would help me press forward.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Definitely do some sidequests if you can, but Duke's Castle is where you'll eventually need to go. If you're trying to get all the quests done, always make sure to do what's available to you. Some cut off/expiration points will feel sudden, so it's best to clear everything before moving on.
That said, things you get on the Notice Boards shouldn't expire like the quests you get from actual people.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, let's say I have 4bux lying around on my PSN account. Which DLC is worth it to spend it on. Are there ever any sales or are price drops a possibility?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Put it towards a downloadable game or a game with DLC that isn't dog poo poo.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Killed the dragon and the game decided Caxton was my lover, just because I bought stuff from him all the time and didn't pursue any romances because pursuing romances in video games is dumb. Bravo, Capcom! Good job!

I actually wouldn't mind if they had purposely written the main character as gay, but the fact that it was only because of awful broken game mechanics really irks me. Sorry I didn't play your open-world game exactly the way you wanted me to.

So much in this game is amazing and fun but everything involving the story is a broken mess. I really hope they don't gently caress up the sequel.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Roman posted:

Killed the dragon and the game decided Caxton was my lover, just because I bought stuff from him all the time and didn't pursue any romances because pursuing romances in video games is dumb. Bravo, Capcom! Good job!

Hey, at least you didn't up with the underaged girl because you didn't even know there was a romance mechanic.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Roman posted:

I actually wouldn't mind if they had purposely written the main character as gay, but the fact that it was only because of awful broken game mechanics really irks me. Sorry I didn't play your open-world game exactly the way you wanted me to.

The mechanic isn't broken, you just didn't understand it, sorry.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Cake Attack posted:

Hey, at least you didn't up with the underaged girl because you didn't even know there was a romance mechanic.
I actually reloaded my checkpoint and tried maxing affinity with some women just to see if I could fix it, but it didn't work.

I got annoyed and immediately killed him, so his corpse is just sitting in my house. I should have at least carried him outside first.

Dan Didio posted:

The mechanic isn't broken, you just didn't understand it, sorry.
The mechanic that was never explained in-game? And is a broken dumbed-down version of something you'd see in Fable?

Roman fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 4, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Roman posted:

I actually reloaded my checkpoint and tried maxing affinity with some women just to see if I could fix it, but it didn't work.

You can't fix who you are, Roman. Embrace it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

His relationship is a masterwork. He can't go wrong.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

:lol:

I'm more annoyed about the mechanics than anything. Although I suspect it was probably intentional. Just the devs' version of sneaking a blue party hat onto your head.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Roman posted:

:lol:

I'm more annoyed about the mechanics than anything. Although I suspect it was probably intentional. Just the devs' version of sneaking a blue party hat onto your head.

I think it's just that they divulge so much of the information relating to that stuff through contextual clues and Pawn dialogue that a lot of people miss it. It's an insanely simple system once you actually experiment with it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I only knew about it because the innkeeper got the pink glow around him and someone told me. So I walked around unsheathing my sword around everyone all the time. I guess all that unsheathing turned Caxton on.

Still, at least I didn't end up with the Duke's stupid wife. I'll take Caxton over her any day.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I really wish I could kill Feste and have him stay dead. Ill even risk the dungeon for doing so.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I knew about the game's romance mechanics but I have no idea how it actually chose who would appear in what scene. I had Aelinore for one and Madeleine for a later one so it wasn't even consistent. I can definitely say that neither one was the last I maxed affinity with either, Aelinore was probably the first one actually because just talking to her at all seemed to max her. I also forgot to give the ring to anybody since I dumped it into item storage. The stats page said I have seven females with maxed affinity but I could only account for four (Aelinore, Selene, Quina, and Madeleine) and two males (Asalam and Reynard).

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I guess it just shows another way PC modding has spoiled me. In Fallout New Vegas, killing random ghouls was making my psycho killer guy a beloved saint, so I just fixed it with mods and console commands. After New Vegas and Skyrim on PC it's frustrating not being able to change anything you want in a game like this.

My first mod for DD (after a Hard mode) would have been a "No Romance" option. Just let my mercenary sociopath live in his Fortress of Solitude in peace.

Also I just read that you can have both Fournival AND his 14 year old daughter in love with you. Really who thought this system was a good idea.

Roman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 4, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My romance option was Mercedes which was hella confusing because of the story.

"Okay, so now that I've saved you from the dragon can you explain why the gently caress you're here instead of back in your home country or whatever? Oh. Oh."

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I really can't get over how much I love this game, especially in spite of its grating problems! As a 32-year-old gamer dad, I rarely connect with games enough anymore to keep playing after about the first 5-10 hours max, and I just hit the 50-hour mark with DD. I've just gotten completely obsessed. It's funny, too, because I am notoriously intolerant of poorly designed mechanics and do not forgive tediously designed menus and systems (I once popped out a "Suikoden" game and broke the disc in half, I was so furious at how a poo poo menu system was punishing me as a player). And yet, here I am joyfully spending 15 minutes at a time in DD's awkward-as-hell menus!

I gave "Demon's Souls" two middle fingers and never played it again after about 20 minutes, I couldn't sustain any interest in "Skyrim" after 3 hours of play, and was FURIOUS at "Fallout: New Vegas" for not making any attempt to clue the player in to major plot mechanics before it was too late. DD is more offensive than any of those on basically every level (just found out about the affinity system that's, you know, never ever ever mentioned in-game) and yet I love it to death.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

BTW, having just learned about the whole romance/affinity thing (thanks for never ever mentioning it in-game!), I started getting curious about endings. I haven't seen this posted in the thread, but it's amazing (Feste romance ending):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbLL3J0__o

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Transistor Rhythm posted:

DD is more offensive than any of those on basically every level (just found out about the affinity system that's, you know, never ever ever mentioned in-game) and yet I love it to death.
On a purely action/exploration level, DD is brilliant and really shines above the rest. (Although the exploration does start wearing thin around the 37th time you walk through the harpy canyon.) The core of the game is so awesome that it makes the not-so-good stuff seem even worse.

After a long break I may give this game another shot but it kinda bugs me that I'll carefully have to play this game THEIR way in order to get any results I find satisfying. Did the devs actually think it was fun gameplay to walk around giving certain people items over and over and repeatedly unsheathing your weapon over and over around others? Is that the kind of super awesome game they always dreamed of playing when they were kids?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You gotta remember that this is Capcom we're talking about, their standard design doc for games up to this point has been "funnel the player through corridors and gate them in combat arenas. Repeat."

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Roman posted:

Did the devs actually think it was fun gameplay to walk around giving certain people items over and over and repeatedly unsheathing your weapon over and over around others? Is that the kind of super awesome game they always dreamed of playing when they were kids?

You don't have to do this. I played the game three times and never did any of this. Unless you're really desperate for some generic npc to show up in the three or four brief cutscenes that involve your apparent love interest I don't understand why you would ever do this. Getting any of the major characters is as easy as doing sidequests that involve them. The only way Caxton or whoever can show up is if you either a) specifically go out of your way to ensure that they do, or b) you just skip a ton of sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

tooooooo bad posted:

The only way Caxton or whoever can show up is if you either a) specifically go out of your way to ensure that they do, or b) you just skip a ton of sidequests.
I apparently missed a LOT of quests just by walking from Cassardis to the next town. I browsed through the Wiki and saw all this poo poo (like all the stuff with Selene) and I'm like "when the gently caress was this supposed to have happened?" There was a whole bunch of notice board escort stuff that just vanished into thin air because I didn't do them exactly at the time I was supposed to. Who plays open-world games like that? I play these games to run around and explore and kill stuff, and feel like the game punished me for it by being denied whole chunks of the story.

And it's not that I would really have to walk around doing the unsheathing thing and all that, but I didn't want to do the Aelinore quest (I saw what happened thought it was dumb and reloaded my inn checkpoint) and the other quests disappeared on me, so they just to stick some random person in the cutscene instead of, you know, changing it? It's just head-scratching stuff.

When a game actually makes you miss Skyrim's writing and story structure, you know there's a problem somewhere.

• Locked thread