Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

After the 2 and a half seasons it took to finally reveal what the ship was for my mind was totally loving blown. I have never, ever seen the premise of a Sci-Fi show that was setting up to do what they were. It was such a huge departure from the usual OH GOD ALIEN INVAISON :byodood: series my brain about leaked out of my ears. Such a wasted opportunity.

But, SGU only had 2 seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

But, SGU only had 2 seasons?

:ssh: I have the unaired seasons 3 through 8.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I agree with the last few posters too. The combination of the last season+ giving the show an interesting focus, as well as the cast all seeming like legitimately cool people made me root for the show.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I was also looking forward to SGU at the end. They put some really smart sci-fi things in there. They had truly incomprehensible aliens, both in speech and actions. They had two entire civilizations created, matured, and destroyed which were also their descendants via time-travel shenanigans. They had people backed up on a computer. They messed with planets and stars and entire solar systems. They went further from Earth than any other sci-fi series has ever gone. They were going someplace new, and I hoped they would continue. If they had just not spent so much time with the goddamn blue rocks visiting the Earth they weren't even supposed to be on contact with gah it makes my head hurt. Hey we're fifty bajillion light years away from Earth lets VISIT IT EVERY loving WEEK ANYWAYS.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Taking the cosmic background radiation and adding an element that even made the ancients go WHAT IN THE gently caress IS THAT was so cool my mind just about exploded. When Joe Malozzi posted on his blog I was so bummed. The next season was supposed to take place either 3, 10 or 100 years after the end of s2 with them leaning towards 10 years. This was gonna let them to do the Extinction story where the gate program goes public without having to do a movie. They were also going to use the split offs of the human civilization as a galactic species in the next galaxy destiny hit.

We should do a kickstarter for a SGU mini-series on Netflix or something. I really do hope this isn't the last we see of the SGU story, or Stargate in general.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Taking the cosmic background radiation and adding an element that even made the ancients go WHAT IN THE gently caress IS THAT was so cool my mind just about exploded. When Joe Malozzi posted on his blog I was so bummed. The next season was supposed to take place either 3, 10 or 100 years after the end of s2 with them leaning towards 10 years. This was gonna let them to do the Extinction story where the gate program goes public without having to do a movie. They were also going to use the split offs of the human civilization as a galactic species in the next galaxy destiny hit.

We should do a kickstarter for a SGU mini-series on Netflix or something. I really do hope this isn't the last we see of the SGU story, or Stargate in general.

We won't ever see any more SGU, even as a direct to DVD thing. I would however definitely buy a novel that wrapped up the series based on their notes. Usually tv show tie in books suck, but some of the ideas they had were really great.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

We won't ever see any more SGU, even as a direct to DVD thing. I would however definitely buy a novel that wrapped up the series based on their notes. Usually tv show tie in books suck, but some of the ideas they had were really great.

You say that, until we see him back on earth buying a lot of Meythlmene and ends up employing Walter White with the gate program and he builds a powersource to send him back to Destiny. With a load of the blue of course.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 30, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The 'shine they make on Destiny just doesn't have that edge anymore and now the Colonel needs something stronger.

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004
I'm 12 episodes into SG:U and ... I kinda like it, I saw the first 3 episodes when it first came out, then promptly forgot about it, but at that time I hadn't watched SG1 or SG:A, maybe it's because I've become more invested in the stargate franchise but yeah, it definiately hasn't been terrible.

It is taking MASSIVE note's from Battlestar Galatica, and for some reason, I keep thinking House, with some of the music/montage scenes and obviously it's being gritty etc

Just finished the episode with the mysterious planet and sun outta nowhere episode, I hope they talk more about the mysterious aliens that can build planets and suns

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Snowman95 posted:

I'm 12 episodes into SG:U and ... I kinda like it, I saw the first 3 episodes when it first came out, then promptly forgot about it, but at that time I hadn't watched SG1 or SG:A, maybe it's because I've become more invested in the stargate franchise but yeah, it definiately hasn't been terrible.

It is taking MASSIVE note's from Battlestar Galatica, and for some reason, I keep thinking House, with some of the music/montage scenes and obviously it's being gritty etc

Just finished the episode with the mysterious planet and sun outta nowhere episode, I hope they talk more about the mysterious aliens that can build planets and suns

Honestly I think you're still in the lovely part of the show. Stick it out, it really pays off.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
"Time" and the episode with the mysteriously appearing planet were easily my favorite two episodes of the first 15 or so. The series as a whole gets way better after that, so if you already like it you're in for a good time. Until you get to the end and get really depressed about the cancellation.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As someone who watched all 17 seasons of stargate shows in the last two years, SG:U was actually really promising. The biggest problem was it was trying to hard to be Battlestar Galactica. The civilian vs government political tension worked in BSG because there were thousands of people in the fleet that needed to to be organized. In SGU there's like 40 people in an ongoing crisis situation and absolutely no reason why they should be arguing about who's in charge.

The setting was simple amazing. Destiny was basically Atlantis done right. SG:A was a great series, but the city itself was completely underwhelming.

I though SG:U was terrible for about 7 episodes and then it got pretty good. Although after the attempted mutiny I would have shot that IOA woman in the face, or at least locked her up for ever.

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004
Just hit the season finale of season 1, pretty good, the Eli friend zone is getting a little played out, as is the angry asian lesbian, and the music montages just dont seem ... I dunno, right... but yeah, looking forward to season 2 sorta half heartedly, given all the great reviews for the 2nd half of the 2nd season and knowing there is no more after.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The montages were loving terrible. You can say it.

NoodlesVonSexron
May 1, 2012
I'm watching Stargate Atlantis for the first time and I just hit the episode where Teyla sings. :ughh:

I wasn't prepared for this, there's hardly any booze in the house at all.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

General Battuta posted:

The montages were loving terrible. You can say it.

And those horrid power ballads. Oy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

NoodlesVonSexron posted:

I'm watching Stargate Atlantis for the first time and I just hit the episode where Teyla sings. :ughh:

I wasn't prepared for this, there's hardly any booze in the house at all.

The sad part about that episode is that it's really a good episode sans Teyla. If you can get through it, it's really the worst Teyla moment.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

JetsGuy posted:

The sad part about that episode is that it's really a good episode sans Teyla. If you can get through it, it's really the worst Teyla moment.

Yeah, it was a great way to do an sg1 crossover episode, silly singing aside. I still love Dr. Lee trying to relate the Twilight Bark to the other SGC personnel, then just giving up and mentioning the fire signals in Lord of The Rings :3:

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Yeah the argument over leadership on Destiny was absolutely retarded. The military would absolutely be in charge because to survive those conditions successfully you're going to need to come together as a group in a militaristic fashion, clear chain of command, the understanding that what needs to get done is getting done, etc.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
The SG-1 facebook page has been posting these.

:effort:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those are adorable.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

The SG-1 facebook page has been posting these.

:effort:

Those are kind of funny, but it's dumb to have Hammond on there, because when Don S. Davis died of a heart attack, so did General Hammond.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Snak posted:

Those are kind of funny, but it's dumb to have Hammond on there, because when Don S. Davis died of a heart attack, so did General Hammond.

Yeah but the point is it's retelling Children of the Gods, when Don was still around. Here's the rest:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay that's pretty cute. They should probably do the entire series. It would take very little effort
and I would probably keep going back to see the updates.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

These would be worth reading if they were 80% wit and 20% summary instead of the other way around.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Muslim Wookie posted:

Yeah the argument over leadership on Destiny was absolutely retarded. The military would absolutely be in charge because to survive those conditions successfully you're going to need to come together as a group in a militaristic fashion, clear chain of command, the understanding that what needs to get done is getting done, etc.

Except all of the military personnel were either bumbling incompetents or psychotic monsters. The Colonel was both.

The main problem with SGU was that they tried to make a central pillar of the programme an interesting, nuanced conflict about ideals and realism, but did it in such a cackhanded way that the only character who was engaging enough for the viewer, and actually competent enough in-universe, to lead the group was the one character they intended you to see as a villain.

tenh19
Jul 11, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

The even worse part is that Teyla's singing ruined what would have otherwise been an incredible sequence and a highlight of the show. Despite the awesomeness of the Goa'uld Col. Caldwell reveal, I can't watch that sequence all the way through thanks to the singing.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

tenh19 posted:

The even worse part is that Teyla's singing ruined what would have otherwise been an incredible sequence and a highlight of the show. Despite the awesomeness of the Goa'uld Col. Caldwell reveal, I can't watch that sequence all the way through thanks to the singing.

I haven't watched the episode in a while... how did they extract the Goa'uld from Caldwell? The Tok'ra?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

vandelay industries posted:

I haven't watched the episode in a while... how did they extract the Goa'uld from Caldwell? The Tok'ra?

Hermiod beamed it out of him with the Daedalus' Asgard beam.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Except all of the military personnel were either bumbling incompetents or psychotic monsters. The Colonel was both.

The main problem with SGU was that they tried to make a central pillar of the programme an interesting, nuanced conflict about ideals and realism, but did it in such a cackhanded way that the only character who was engaging enough for the viewer, and actually competent enough in-universe, to lead the group was the one character they intended you to see as a villain.

SG:U provided a much needed break from stargate's formula of the best and brightest and most ethically aware team being in the right place at the right time. SG:U's cast was more flawed and more human. The Colonel was probably my favorite character. Rush may have been technologically competent, and even had a good concept of acceptable risk given how awesome Destiny's missions was, but he was an intolerable prick and it's totally realistic that people wouldn't just roll over and let him be in charge of anything. I'm not an apologist for the military, but when a bunch of idiot civilians who have no idea how to prioritize during a crisis stage a mutiny that disrupts survival critical operations and almost kills everyone, that's not a a joking matter or something you shrug off as a difference of opinion. The Colonel's judgement may have been compromised, but a bunch of politicians and scientists are not qualified to lead in this situation under the best of circumstances, much less a post mutiny situation. My favorite part of that arc was that the writers knew that the even though the civilians were acting like it was something the military would get used to, all the military personell were dead serious about it.

It wasn't some magic situation where their biggest problem was how fair the chain of command was. They were literally facing death every other day from things as simple as resource management. There was once an argument over whether they should repair the weapons or work on a new hydroponics bay first. If their existing hydroponics had been non-functional I could kind of see the issue, but the argument was literally "The Colonel puts military priorities ahead of civilian ones" because he a because he's a member of the bloodthirsty military, and all the peace-loving civilians want to do is grow more plants.

I'm going to assume that you didn't like Master Sergeant Greer either, even though he was one of the more "realistic" badasses in stargate and was pretty level headed and ACTUALLY FOLLOWED ORDERS. Even though he often had an attitude problem, he actually always followed orders, and even acted on instruction from non-military personell just as he should.

I do agree that they completely fumbled what was supposed to be the engaging drama, but are you telling me that you thought Rush was a good guy? Rush was Daniel Jackson sans his super power. Daniel Jackson's super power was moral superiority, and it made him almost intolerable. As a trekkie, I apreciate a moral victory, but there is nothing more boring and annoying than a character who ALWAYS has the role of taking the high road over other characters. They fixed this excellently with McKay, and Rush was McKay crossed with Gaius Baltar.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I'm not an apologist for the military, but when a bunch of idiot civilians who have no idea how to prioritize during a crisis stage a mutiny that disrupts survival critical operations and almost kills everyone, that's not a a joking matter or something you shrug off as a difference of opinion. The Colonel's judgement may have been compromised, but a bunch of politicians and scientists are not qualified to lead in this situation under the best of circumstances, much less a post mutiny situation. My favorite part of that arc was that the writers knew that the even though the civilians were acting like it was something the military would get used to, all the military personell were dead serious about it.

It wasn't some magic situation where their biggest problem was how fair the chain of command was. They were literally facing death every other day from things as simple as resource management. There was once an argument over whether they should repair the weapons or work on a new hydroponics bay first. If their existing hydroponics had been non-functional I could kind of see the issue, but the argument was literally "The Colonel puts military priorities ahead of civilian ones" because he a because he's a member of the bloodthirsty military, and all the peace-loving civilians want to do is grow more plants.

The crew had just finished their first encounter with the Blue aliens. Rush was likely the main instigator of the mutiny, and he's doing it primarily to save his own skin. He wasn't about to let Young leave him behind again. Even in Episode 11, the civilians were talking about how Young basically left Rush behind because he didn't like him. Young never revealed the frame-job. Rush probably didn't need to be the most convincing guy to get enough people to follow the plan.

Regarding the Hydroponics: It wasn't really wasn't much of an argument. I recall something about how the scientists were unfamiliar with the repairs. Someone was injured doing it, and that's why Young initially stopped it. Park was just giving a small protest about the changes, that's all.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Snak posted:

SG:U provided a much needed break from stargate's formula of the best and brightest and most ethically aware team being in the right place at the right time. SG:U's cast was more flawed and more human. The Colonel was probably my favorite character. Rush may have been technologically competent, and even had a good concept of acceptable risk given how awesome Destiny's missions was, but he was an intolerable prick and it's totally realistic that people wouldn't just roll over and let him be in charge of anything. I'm not an apologist for the military, but when a bunch of idiot civilians who have no idea how to prioritize during a crisis stage a mutiny that disrupts survival critical operations and almost kills everyone, that's not a a joking matter or something you shrug off as a difference of opinion. The Colonel's judgement may have been compromised, but a bunch of politicians and scientists are not qualified to lead in this situation under the best of circumstances, much less a post mutiny situation. My favorite part of that arc was that the writers knew that the even though the civilians were acting like it was something the military would get used to, all the military personell were dead serious about it.

I'm going to assume that you didn't like Master Sergeant Greer either, even though he was one of the more "realistic" badasses in stargate and was pretty level headed and ACTUALLY FOLLOWED ORDERS. Even though he often had an attitude problem, he actually always followed orders, and even acted on instruction from non-military personell just as he should.

I do agree that they completely fumbled what was supposed to be the engaging drama, but are you telling me that you thought Rush was a good guy? Rush was Daniel Jackson sans his super power. Daniel Jackson's super power was moral superiority, and it made him almost intolerable. As a trekkie, I apreciate a moral victory, but there is nothing more boring and annoying than a character who ALWAYS has the role of taking the high road over other characters. They fixed this excellently with McKay, and Rush was McKay crossed with Gaius Baltar.

I don't know how one can't like Greer. He's one of the best characters in the series from the get go even if (at least I felt like) he never got fully fleshed out. A Teal'c, Ronon, Greer kick rear end across the universe episode would have been great. How I long for the day McKay and Zelenka kick in the door on destiny and bust everyone out of stasis then pull some McKay/Zelenka Rush/Eli magic on the ship.

:sigh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xerxus posted:

The crew had just finished their first encounter with the Blue aliens. Rush was likely the main instigator of the mutiny, and he's doing it primarily to save his own skin. He wasn't about to let Young leave him behind again. Even in Episode 11, the civilians were talking about how Young basically left Rush behind because he didn't like him. Young never revealed the frame-job. Rush probably didn't need to be the most convincing guy to get enough people to follow the plan.

Regarding the Hydroponics: It wasn't really wasn't much of an argument. I recall something about how the scientists were unfamiliar with the repairs. Someone was injured doing it, and that's why Young initially stopped it. Park was just giving a small protest about the changes, that's all.

The real issue is that Colonel Young kept trying to make peace with Rush because he knew he needed him. Except for the time he left him to die on the planet he continually took a stance of "even though you framed me for murder, lead a mutiny on my ship, and lied about everything since the beginning of the pegasus project, we need you so let's just try to get along" and Rush couldn't return any kind of trust of spirit of cooperation at all because he's a piece of poo poo.

I really believe that SG:U was "trying to be" Battlestar Galactica, and it suffered for it. All of the things that were handled poorly on SG:U were basically lifted from BSG, and not enough effort/time was spent making them actually work in the SG:U setting.

Also, I think Rush is actually the most realistic "super genius" in all of stargate.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I don't know how one can't like Greer. ... A Teal'c, Ronon, Greer kick rear end across the universe episode would have been great.

The answer is, at least for me, in your own words. Quite apart from seeming to be a charmless psychopath, there's also the really bothersome fact that he's the SGC mandated surly, aggressive, Noble Coloured Warrior Guy for the mission.

Teal'c was great, Ronon was poo poo, Greer was a pattern. Teyla fits in as well, but I try not to think about her.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Greer was so cardboard to start with that he was generally referred to as Sgt. Angry Black Man.

Of course nobody on SGU had much depth to begin with, or to end with, but the show did at least get somewhat better at characterization. Except for Chloe.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm on my phone right now so I can't really type out a huge response, but what were the people on Destiny supposed to do? As far as anyone on the ship was concerned they would be on that ship for the rest of their lives. Are they supposed to just surrender all control and decisions to the military half of the crew and set up a dictator for life for themselves and whatever inbred decendants they may have?

These are politicians who come from a democratic society, people who(in an ideal world) are supposed to be completely against the consolidation of power into one individual. Of course one of the first things they'd want to see to is making sure there's a governing body that's fair and sees to the needs of everyone involved.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Right, so you stage an armed revolt in the middle of a crisis situation and try your hardest to get everyone killed?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
See, that exact logic made sense in Battlestar Galactica, because there were thousands of people that needed to live together. On the Destiny, there's like 40, and food, water, and power need to be rationed with military discipline, period. This isn't even weird, and it had nothing to do with "The military" it has to do with the fact that right now, someone is in charge, according to the system in place. They aren't just random civilians, they are people who were working on the Icarus project. When you enter into cooperation with the military, you don't just get a free pass to do whatever you want because you don't have a rank. Daniel Jackson managed to play that card a few times in SG-1, but they sorted that poo poo out pretty quick. It's not like the military kidnapped these people and said they were in charge now, they are simple fulfilling their part of the partnership, which is ensuring the survival of everyone.

Also, the civilian leader (I don't remember her name, the IOA woman) would constantly be setting a horrible example by questioning the Colonel in fron the crew, even about stupid stuff like the hydroponics bay. In fact she never exhibited any leadership skills whatsoever, and I have no idea how she got her job in the first place.

If the destiny ever became a stable, safe place to live, that would be the time to restructure the leadership. Nevermind that the only good civilian leader that's ever been on Stargate was Richard Woolsey. I wish we had had him for more seasons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's the most annoying thing about civilians movies about disaster situations. I hate the military with all my might, but in a crisis situation, there's a reason why the military works better than a random blob of morons. Chances are, unless you have some sort of government pay grade, being a civilian probably puts you at the bottom of the totem pole, not the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

So SGU Season 2...

I keep hearing it gets better but at 4 episodes in it's just giving strong BSG Rush has imaginary friends now? and Voyager (integrating terrorists with the crew bit, charismatic leader and strong female engineer/scientist) vibes without much of a pickup yet.

How far in before it gets better? Someone mentioned about halfway through the season you find out what Destiny's true mission is?