Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Veskit posted:

Tried it. She'll use it for 30 minutes and give up on all the goodies on the inside regardless of what it is (cheese turkey hotdog peanut butter). It buys me about 30 minutes.

What does she do after 30 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Engineer Lenk posted:

What does she do after 30 minutes?

Whines barks and scratches constantly until she gets tired and gives up. Giving up can take up to an hour though and it'll repeat later. I'm sure the problems will go away more when I can let her roam around the house, but I can't trust her yet to do that.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Veskit posted:

Whines barks and scratches constantly until she gets tired and gives up. Giving up can take up to an hour though and it'll repeat later. I'm sure the problems will go away more when I can let her roam around the house, but I can't trust her yet to do that.

Could be separation anxiety, then - which wouldn't really get fixed by more freedom, just open up a wider swath of destruction.

Check out I'll be home soon for some training options.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Well in a couple of weeks my puppy will be a year old, they say that danes grow past a year but I don't think I can get away with calling him a puppy anymore.

Dec 2011 (3 months old)

Aug 2012 (11 months)

He's been the sweetest, greatest tempered family dog we have ever had. I just got him fixed last month, right about the time he started to mark things outside. He's pretty much obedience trained. He's an excellent walker, on and off lead. He knows: Heel, Sit, Down, Stay (were working on this to stretch it out), Speak (when he's in the mood), and "Tell me" which is more of a warbly moaning sound :D. When he does a good speak indoors you can feel it in your chest, it's pretty drat loud.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 23, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was looking around the forums and was slightly surprised to not find almost anything about Boxers, and maybe one or two goons in PI who own them? I dunno, I thought they weer a more common breed than that. I'm going to be driving down to a foster family's house in the next week or two to meet a 2 year old female boxer that is up for adoption, named Vanessa.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

coyo7e posted:

I was looking around the forums and was slightly surprised to not find almost anything about Boxers, and maybe one or two goons in PI who own them? I dunno, I thought they weer a more common breed than that. I'm going to be driving down to a foster family's house in the next week or two to meet a 2 year old female boxer that is up for adoption, named Vanessa.

I really like boxers. They're active and sporty and fun. I've never met one that wasn't bouncy and full of joy (unless they had a thyroid problem). What holds me back is the brachycephaly and their endless health problems. I know someone who does boxer rescue and she has experienced boxers just dropping dead of unknown heart problems in a play session on more than one occaison. And that's just one health issue of many. The American Boxer Club website has a lot of great information about the breed, their positives, and things to watch out for.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I really like boxers. They're active and sporty and fun. I've never met one that wasn't bouncy and full of joy (unless they had a thyroid problem). What holds me back is the brachycephaly and their endless health problems. I know someone who does boxer rescue and she has experienced boxers just dropping dead of unknown heart problems in a play session on more than one occaison. And that's just one health issue of many. The American Boxer Club website has a lot of great information about the breed, their positives, and things to watch out for.
Thanks, I have an aunt who has raised them for 10 or 15 years, and I've seen a few rescues which had to have a ton of tumors removed. I also have a coworker with one that has the heart troubles. I will certainly ask about any health issues when I check the dog out.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
We've had our new puppy since Tuesday, a ~3.5 month old Italian Greyhound named Amelia, possible mix (best guess from shelter at least). Generally things are going pretty well having read everything we could here and elsewhere, but a few things have popped if you guys can help:

How much should I be worried about her getting random things in her mouth while outside? She likes to chew on the palm tree seeds (look like acorns) in our front yard, and I'll do my best to make sure to get them out of her mouth, but she's basically chewing anything she can out there: the seeds, palm roots, grass, rocks, leaves. She's licked some bird poop and gotten close to probably chewing on some rabbit poop (there's some rabbits in the neighborhood that like to crap on our lawn :( ). Are they pretty resilient with these things? I worry about her choking on something or getting something terrible for her in her stomach.

She's also started digging a little while outside to go to the bathroom and I'm wondering how to redirect off of it, apart from just standing on top of where she was digging?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Thanks, I have an aunt who has raised them for 10 or 15 years, and I've seen a few rescues which had to have a ton of tumors removed. I also have a coworker with one that has the heart troubles. I will certainly ask about any health issues when I check the dog out.

Boxers are a bit notorious for health problems, and unfortunately, unless you reallllly go looking for them in an otherwise healthy looking dog, you can completely miss the health problems - the heart disease being the big one there. Cancer can rear its ugly head later.

Like, a normal vet physical including bloodwork, chest x-rays, and ultrasound (which all together is pretty comprehensive) can completely miss the heart problems Boxers get. To have the best chance of catching it, you have to put a 24 hour monitoring system of their heart's electrical activity to have any chance of catching it (called a Holter monitor). It's also not particularly rare - it can be there for years without causing any problems and then suddenly cause problems.

Splat: If she chews something poisonous (leaves of particular plants, say), she won't be resilient about it. Also, if she decides to swallow something that won't pass (large seeds, rocks), she will need to have surgery to remove it. Chewing on rocks can also damage teeth.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Quick questions:

Since we got him on Saturday, my wife and I have been around Linus and he's been his usual self. Tuesday through Thursday, she had to work and I was home alone with him. I didn't see any real change.

Today, my wife is home alone and Linus' been in his crate all day. He ate breakfast but now is ignoring lunch.

Is this just his recent routine being interrupted and a regular face not being there? My wife played with him the same as I did (just after she got home) and he's been fine sleeping on her/cuddling with her/etc. Now he'll lay on her for a bit before wanting off the couch and walk into his crate.

My wife is freaking out a bit with the not eating part. Am I right in telling her it's just a slightly different setting for him that's making him this way? Should I head home for lunch just to see how he does when I reappear?

Edit: The poor guy threw up in his crate. He's been doing a bit of that all week since he's been on his antibiotic. Maybe he just isn't feeling spectacular today.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 24, 2012

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My ~1.5 year old male beagle Wilfred has taken to chewing the claws on his back paws almost down to the quick in some cases; when he does so he's clearly chewing on the claws themselves as you can hear his teeth clicking against them. There have always been lots of beagles in my family since I was a kid and Wilfred is easily the most high strung beagle I have ever known, and he takes his duty as my protector very seriously despite being a huge wimp who runs away at the first sign of danger (vacuum cleaners, lawnmowers, etc). I am also the de facto dogsitter in my family and this time I've wound up with 5 beagles in my care, technically making me an illegal kennel. 3 are my parents', in my care while they are on vacation; they are all girls and they are BFFs with wilfred having spent lots of time together since he was a puppy (when possible my parents' dogsit when I have class so I don't have to crate him alone). The other is my sister's while she is between apartments in NYC; he is male and kind of surly antisocial jerk when it comes to other dogs (which I can't really fault him for, being a rescue with a bum leg and a particularly traumatic puppyhood). There's been no hostility between them and Wilfred has even almost tricked George into playing with him like a dog which would be a huge milestone in George's life; Nonetheless I'm sure that the introduction of another spoiled male dog into the house has raised his stress level.

Back to the issue at hand- the chewing is limited exclusively to his back paws, where he has chewed down every claw to the quick or close to it, and I have only ever noticed this behavior since the current dogsitting situation arose. I can poke and prod at and between the pads of both feet without him giving the slightest indication of discomfort, and there's nothing like any swelling or redness that would indicate an infection or allergic issue to me. There really haven't been any other big changes in the mean time; he's been on the same food for at least 5 or 6 months now, and I've been home a lot over the summer due to not taking any summer classes this time around.

So anyway, I'm not a vet but I'm fairly confident in my assessment. I'd rather avoid an unnecessary trip to the vet if I can, but google suggests that it could be anything from anxiety to YOUR DOG IS DYING so I figured I'd try for a second opinion.

For reference, here is the dog in question, trying to keep me from stealing his immense wealth of squeaks:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 27, 2012

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I have a quick question and I'm not sure this is the place for it but I figured I'd ask anyway. The girlfriend and I recently adopted a ~2 year old border collie/lab mix and she is the best dog there ever was. We've got the dog house trained (she wasn't when we adopted her) and she learns everything we can throw at her as quick as we can ever hope for.

I was just wondering if, and how often, we had to brush her teeth. I remember growing up that my mom would pay attention to our dogs' teeth, but I have no idea as to what I have to do. I read the OP and the girlfriend dispatched me to ask you guys. Do I need to brush them? Can I rely on chew toys that claim to clean teeth?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

If it were me, I would check with the vet. I'd also recommend that you spend some time reading through the dog threads. Several of the comments you made imply a lack of understanding of dog behavior. Good luck.

Stalizard posted:

:words:
Yep - brushing is highly recommended. You can probably get some more specific information from the vet & vet tech thread. My own, limited, experience and research suggests that a lot of the talk about kibble and chew toys helping is more marketing than fact. Even if you can just get a finger in there once a day or so and rub the teeth and gums, that should make a considerable difference.

MrFurious fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 29, 2012

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

MrFurious posted:

If it were me, I would check with the vet. I'd also recommend that you spend some time reading through the dog threads. Several of the comments you made imply a lack of understanding of dog behavior. Good luck.

I almost forgot about this post but after giving him a more thorough looking-over and keeping a closer eye on him I caught him scratching his ears, which had a bit of an infection. He hadn't been scratching much or displaying other symptoms like shaking his head frequently, but I guess a combination of the discomfort and residue on his back paws from sticking them in his ears was the reason for the nail biting. I cleaned his ears out that night with Malacetic otic cleaner and they were vastly improved just by morning, and after a couple of days it was totally cleared up and he's showed no further signs of discomfort, scratching, or chewing on his paws. :ms:

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
How do we go about crate training and stuff if we have two puppies? Do we need two crates? Is it normal for them to go to the bathroom in the crate at night?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Thanks to some advice from this thread, as well as my wife and I dog sitting again, we are getting a baby Yorkie this weekend (hopefully). We found a rescue group near us that has two puppies. One is healthy, one is getting over hypoglycemia and giardia. Now I am frantically reading the first post and getting books for my Kindle. Wish us luck, and I am sure I will be asking tons of questions to you guys.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks to some advice from this thread, as well as my wife and I dog sitting again, we are getting a baby Yorkie this weekend (hopefully). We found a rescue group near us that has two puppies. One is healthy, one is getting over hypoglycemia and giardia. Now I am frantically reading the first post and getting books for my Kindle. Wish us luck, and I am sure I will be asking tons of questions to you guys.
Am I reading this wrong or are you for some reason planning to get two puppies at once?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Kerfuffle posted:

Am I reading this wrong or are you for some reason planning to get two puppies at once?

No, just one. But we are going to look at both, to see who will pick us. My wife is a vet, so she is leaning towards the sick one (who is also the runt). Thanks for the pre-advice of "for the love of god don't get two dogs."

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Cuatal posted:

How do we go about crate training and stuff if we have two puppies? Do we need two crates? Is it normal for them to go to the bathroom in the crate at night?

Yes, two crates recommended. No, not normal. Crate is likely either too big, you are not giving them appropriate chances, or you have a medical issue. Read the OP and the housetraining guide. If there's a specific issue you're not feeling is covered, post again.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Snowmankilla posted:

My wife is a vet, so she is leaning towards the sick one (who is also the runt).

:laugh: so typical.

I apologize in advance that you will likely never own a perfectly healthy animal with all of its eyes/limbs intact.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

I apologize in advance that you will likely never own a perfectly healthy animal with all of its eyes/limbs intact.

Or its abdominal vasculature intact.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Or its abdominal vasculature intact.

Or its brain in good working order.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I got this dog yesterday. Her name is going to be Devoshka, since Nugget, Bailey, and Vanessa (the names the dog rescue and foster family gave her,) are all equally ignorable in her opinion.

She's overweight, not too much bigger than an aussie cattle dog, and I'm pretty sure she's been spoiled mercilessly by the foster family's kids, since she wants nothing so much as to climb up on everybody's chest and lick their face and ears, and the only game she wants to play is "wrestlewrestlewrestle!"

We've already started learning that people cross their arms and stand up/look away when we try that though, and notable progress has been made already. Her other main thing I want to address ASAP is how clingy she is - she'll stop anything to follow me if I get out of a chair or go around a corner, and she's got some stress about going for car rides as well.. I think she probably has been bounced around with so many strangers in so many rides in her recent memory, that she really doesn't know what to expect when someone opens a car door, this morning I went out to get something out of the car and she followed me out, jumped in the car, and then ran in circles between the seats despite all my coaxing, until we put a collar and leash on (then she quietly got out.)

Despite how comfortable she looks and how hard a time she's having getting up, you'd never believe she'd only been allowed on the bed for half an hour this morning..

(look at her poor rubbed-raw throat, nobody took her collar off her for weeks, I'm sure.)

Noooo!

I don't want to get up!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 30, 2012

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Hey guys, could use some advice:

We've had our new puppy for a week or so now and it's mostly going okay but some issues have arisen.

1: She's basically realized now that going into her crate means she's getting locked in for a while, so it's gotten to be a bit of an ordeal to lure her in every time, and then she whines and howls for a good 10-15 min or more. We do our best to ignore her but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've tried getting her to like her crate more when she's not crated by cramming her w/ treats while in it, but it hasn't helped much yet. What can we do?

2: We were on a two day run of no accidents due to crate training, but we don't know how/when to wean off crating for potty purposes. This morning my wife let her our of her sight (on purpose) for a few minutes and she took a crap. She had sorta started whining when she needed to go out, but not this time.

3: She's decided to chew everything she can. Grannicks has helped with hard surfaces, but appears to just absorb into my shoes and she grabs them any chance she gets. Is there anything that helps more w/ fabrics?

Thanks!

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Splat posted:

Hey guys, could use some advice:

We've had our new puppy for a week or so now and it's mostly going okay but some issues have arisen.

1: She's basically realized now that going into her crate means she's getting locked in for a while, so it's gotten to be a bit of an ordeal to lure her in every time, and then she whines and howls for a good 10-15 min or more. We do our best to ignore her but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've tried getting her to like her crate more when she's not crated by cramming her w/ treats while in it, but it hasn't helped much yet. What can we do?

2: We were on a two day run of no accidents due to crate training, but we don't know how/when to wean off crating for potty purposes. This morning my wife let her our of her sight (on purpose) for a few minutes and she took a crap. She had sorta started whining when she needed to go out, but not this time.

3: She's decided to chew everything she can. Grannicks has helped with hard surfaces, but appears to just absorb into my shoes and she grabs them any chance she gets. Is there anything that helps more w/ fabrics?

Thanks!

I don't have the time to give you the reply you deserve right now but very quickly:

1 - Crate games. Been in the thread a few times, you should be able to search for it.

2 - House training guide covers this I think. I'd say that two days with no accident was certainly pushing your luck though. Be patient.

3 - Grannick is a tool to assist with certain objects, but it's not the solution for what is and isn't an appropriate chew toy. Redirect to appropriate toys when she's chewing. Some of this is age, so you have to be vigilant. Pretend your dog is a toddler.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

MrFurious posted:

I don't have the time to give you the reply you deserve right now but very quickly:

1 - Crate games. Been in the thread a few times, you should be able to search for it.

2 - House training guide covers this I think. I'd say that two days with no accident was certainly pushing your luck though. Be patient.

3 - Grannick is a tool to assist with certain objects, but it's not the solution for what is and isn't an appropriate chew toy. Redirect to appropriate toys when she's chewing. Some of this is age, so you have to be vigilant. Pretend your dog is a toddler.

I appreciate the quick reply!

1: I'll look them up

2: Figured it was a little quick. We've been following a separate schedule on a breed-specific site and are a little confused when where to make the break.

To Explain better:
This is the schedule she's on more or less:
07:00 Wake up/Go out
07:10 Free period
07:30 Food & Water
08:00 Go out
08:15 Free period
08:45 Confine
12:00 Food & Water
12:30 Go out
12:45 Free period
01:15 Confine
04:30 Food & Water
05:00 Go out
05:15 Free period
05:45 Confine
08:00 Water
08:15 Go out
08:30 Free period
09:00 Confine
11:00 Go out/Confine overnight

And she's been doing pretty okay with it apart from not being happy in the crate. Once she's nailed that schedule... what do we do? Slowly remove confine periods and see how she does + teach her to use the bell at the door, etc?

3: We've been doing our best to redirect to to kongs/bones, but I don't know how much of it is sticking. We'll keep at it, though.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

To be fair, even if they took the "healthy" one, it would explode with a super rare illness at some point in the future. It's all part of the curse. The only way to avoid the curse is to take in an animal that you don't particularly like that much and who isn't all that friendly or nice to have around. Those ones never die.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

MrFurious posted:

Yes, two crates recommended. No, not normal. Crate is likely either too big, you are not giving them appropriate chances, or you have a medical issue. Read the OP and the housetraining guide. If there's a specific issue you're not feeling is covered, post again.

Thanks, we haven't started yet, I just wanted to check :)

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Splat posted:

I appreciate the quick reply!

1: I'll look them up

2: Figured it was a little quick. We've been following a separate schedule on a breed-specific site and are a little confused when where to make the break.

To Explain better:
Schedule

And she's been doing pretty okay with it apart from not being happy in the crate. Once she's nailed that schedule... what do we do? Slowly remove confine periods and see how she does + teach her to use the bell at the door, etc?

3: We've been doing our best to redirect to to kongs/bones, but I don't know how much of it is sticking. We'll keep at it, though.

That schedule's pretty good, although I think a few of the times are a little long. It's just a matter of what's working for you. You wean her off by starting to watch for cues for when she needs to go and taking her then. Your success metric is, at minimum, 5 days without an accident. And keep age in mind here too - don't expect too much from a 10 week old puppy. That's not to say there aren't house-trained puppies younger than this, but they are generally the exception not the rule, unless you are well-experienced.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Splat posted:

By "confine" do you mean crating? That's a LOT of in-crate time (about 18h in every 24h period if I calculated correctly) if she spends all that time in her crate. I'm not surprised she's less than thrilled with being put in there. No puppy I've ever known would have been happy resting for 18h each day.

What breed is she? Chewing on stuff is typical of her age, too, but it may also be a way for her to burn off extra energy.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

Rixatrix posted:

By "confine" do you mean crating? That's a LOT of in-crate time (about 18h in every 24h period if I calculated correctly) if she spends all that time in her crate. I'm not surprised she's less than thrilled with being put in there. No puppy I've ever known would have been happy resting for 18h each day.

What breed is she? Chewing on stuff is typical of her age, too, but it may also be a way for her to burn off extra energy.

Confine is crating, yeah. She's a mostly (if not 100%) Italian Greyhound (from shelter, still need to run the wisdom panel since I'm curious), ~3.5 months old. We've been trying to skip the 9pm 2 hour confine to give her more time in the evenings to burn off energy.

This morning she found a new room in the house with a floor length mirror, and she rammed it head first really hard :( Seems like she's okay, but it scared us. She has a vet appointment later today and we'll get her checked out to be sure

Here's some pics!

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Rixatrix posted:

I don't know how I missed this - I've been swamped at work. I guess I just assumed it meant play pen or tethered.

Splat: review the schedule I posted in the house training guide.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

MrFurious posted:

I don't know how I missed this - I've been swamped at work. I guess I just assumed it meant play pen or tethered.

Splat: review the schedule I posted in the house training guide.

We'd been debating switching between the one I posted and yours, and I guess we can try and switch over to a more flexible schedule where she's out and about more.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I are in the same boat as you Splat. Our pup Linus is now 11 weeks old and we've given him a bit more freedom out of his cage. He's able to hold it maybe an hour before giving some signs (sniffing, loss of interest in playing) and is really starting to understand "Outside" means going outside. He even whined near the door to go out for the first time the day before yesterday but hasn't since.

It's been hard and he's had a few accidents (mainly because we didn't catch the signs) but I can see very slow but steady improvement. Same with crating. He still whines and cries when it's time to go into the crate but only for a little bit. Then he settles down and everything is ok.

I can't wait until he can get his final round of vaccinations next week so he can finally go on walks. He's a little timid around everything (except people, he loves them) and I think going on a couple of walks a day will help shore him up.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 31, 2012

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

Thwomp posted:

My wife and I are in the same boat as you Splat. Our pup Linus is now 12 weeks old and we've given him a bit more freedom out of his cage. He's able to hold it maybe an hour before giving some signs (sniffing, loss of interest in playing) and is really starting to understand "Outside" means going outside. He even whined near the door to go out for the first time the day before yesterday but hasn't since.

It's been hard and he's had a few accidents (mainly because we didn't catch the signs) but I can see very slow but steady improvement. Same with crating. He still whines and cries when it's time to go into the crate but only for a little bit. Then he settles down and everything is ok.

I can't wait until he can get his final round of vaccinations next week so he can finally go on walks. He's a little timid around everything (except people, he loves them) and I think going on a couple of walks a day will help shore him up.

Yeah, Amelia's kinda getting it too, just not all at once. Sometimes she'll whimper a little and head to the door, but it's not consistent. We haven't tried getting up bells or anything yet, but will soon. Generally she'll go right after getting out of the crate, but sometimes she won't crap until after eating, which is somewhat reliable at least.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Splat posted:

Yeah, Amelia's kinda getting it too, just not all at once. Sometimes she'll whimper a little and head to the door, but it's not consistent. We haven't tried getting up bells or anything yet, but will soon. Generally she'll go right after getting out of the crate, but sometimes she won't crap until after eating, which is somewhat reliable at least.

Going after eating should be expected and not at all surprising.

When we get home from work, he will typically be brought out to eliminate, then a bit of play, then dinner, then out again followed by just a bit more play before napping. He will almost always crap after eating provided he ate all his food.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

How much are we supposed to feed one month old puppies? We feel like we've been giving them too much food but we have no idea what the hell we're doing.

What brand of food is the best? The most expensive one we've seen here in China is Royal Canin from France we think, but we also know the most expensive doesn't mean the best.

Cuatal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 1, 2012

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Cuatal posted:

How much are we supposed to feed one month old puppies? We feel like we've been giving them too much food but we have no idea what the hell we're doing.

What brand of food is the best? The most expensive one we've seen here in China is Royal Canin from France we think, but we also know the most expensive doesn't mean the best.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1661&aid=2612

Also see the link in the OP for dogfoodadvisor.com for food recommendations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Devo is doing great, she went to work both days we could last week, and everyone loves her. She doesn't whimper or bark pretty much ever (the only three barks she has done were while asleep and dreaming.) She still doesn't know much or any formal command s however, I found some treats she likes, which has been helping a lot to teach her a name and some basics beyond what praise/ignore can easily motivate. She seems very happy and content, although she has some serious car stress and doesn't understand that every time we see my car or open the trunk/door, she doesn't need to worry about being left behind.

We have already gotten a few dog-sit offers from friends and family, so I think she is behaving herself remarkably well overall.

Whaddaya mean, these are "your pants," I don't see anybody using 'em!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So we brought home Luna today. The smaller/sicker of the two Yorkies. She seems very healthy, and has not had any issues in a while.

She is wonderful and loving and cute. The only problems are that she does not seem interested in any food at all. She does not touch dry food. She only licks wet food for a second, and will not touch treats.

For treats we have tried:
Blue Buffalo Chicken
Zukes mini Peanut Butter
Zukes mini Rabit
Fruitables Apple and Bacon
Tricky Trainers Salmon

The thing that sucks is we cannot reward going outside, or going into the crate without a food she likes.

Any ideas? It has been 7 hours, and I AM WASTING TRAINING TIME!

Picture!