Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ithaqua posted:

ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE WARNING: Every developer I've ever met who has a masters degree has been a lovely coder but thought they were hot poo poo because of the extra degree.

I was a philosophy undergrad and got tired of people making the "philosophy, whatever are you going to do with that?" joke, so I'm working on my masters while shaking my rear end for money as a SDET by day. Don't judge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

hieronymus posted:

I was a philosophy undergrad and got tired of people making the "philosophy, whatever are you going to do with that?" joke, so I'm working on my masters while shaking my rear end for money as a SDET by day. Don't judge!

One of the coolest programmers I've ever known did the same thing :3: He always jokes that he got his philosophy degree so he wouldn't turn into a "typical STEM major rear end in a top hat". So yea more programmers need philosophy degrees, I guess.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

hieronymus posted:

Hey this is basically what I'm doing, except as a Psych undergrad who was burnt out of the idea of getting a psych masters and constantly questioning where I hosed it all up. I've only been programming for a year though :\

Does anyone have an idea of how bad the Chicago/Indianapolis area(s) are for finding programming jobs, or any compsci jobs for that matter? Whenever I look around the internet, all I ever find are posting for senior positions and people with 3-5 years of experience and proficiency in a myriad of platforms.

Devvo
Oct 29, 2010

hieronymus posted:

The one big rule of getting a masters degree in anything is never spend any of your own money. Scholarships/paid grad school is awesome. If your company is paying for it - cool. If your parents are paying for it - only get the degree if you don't like them. Otherwise stay the gently caress away, it will not be worth it.

Kim Jong III posted:

most of the MS CS people I know came to the US on an F-1 visa to get it. Small sample for sure, but I still thought it was interesting.

More importantly, a good masters in CS will not teach you to program. You'll learn computer science, which is a neat field especially if you like math, but you won't learn to program.

I was thinking about trying to go to Germany and taking advantage of their super-cheap English Master's programs. Semester fees are about 250 euro/semester and most states don't have tuition. Combined with living costs, a 2 year program seems like it would only cost me about $22-23k US dollars, so that might be an exception to the whole "don't go for a Master's in CS" mentality around here. (If I could land any sort of part-time IT job over there, my costs would be half.)

It helps that I like math and *might* be able to handle research. So the trade-off ends up between having 2 years of work experience & good money versus being able to live in a different country while I'm still young.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Devvo posted:

I was thinking about trying to go to Germany and taking advantage of their super-cheap English Master's programs. Semester fees are about 250 euro/semester and most states don't have tuition. Combined with living costs, a 2 year program seems like it would only cost me about $22-23k US dollars, so that might be an exception to the whole "don't go for a Master's in CS" mentality around here. (If I could land any sort of part-time IT job over there, my costs would be half.)

It helps that I like math and *might* be able to handle research. So the trade-off ends up between having 2 years of work experience & good money versus being able to live in a different country while I'm still young.

Most people are saying "don't get a MS in CS to learn programming." There are plenty of very valuable things you can get out of a masters degree - my school did a lot of crossover with the electrical engineering program and offered masters that focused on computer vision, AI, bioinformatics... any of those would've been interesting and a good start in the field. I was just saying "don't think a masters will teach you to program". So yeah if you are interested in the program, go for it!

Not Dave posted:

Does anyone have an idea of how bad the Chicago/Indianapolis area(s) are for finding programming jobs, or any compsci jobs for that matter? Whenever I look around the internet, all I ever find are posting for senior positions and people with 3-5 years of experience and proficiency in a myriad of platforms.

Where are you looking? If it's just job posting sites, you probably won't find much. I'm in a much smaller city in the Midwest and there are a ton of programming jobs out there, but you'd never guess from looking at Dice.com or similar job sites.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Kim Jong III posted:

Where are you looking? If it's just job posting sites, you probably won't find much. I'm in a much smaller city in the Midwest and there are a ton of programming jobs out there, but you'd never guess from looking at Dice.com or similar job sites.

Mostly just sites like those. I don't have any frame of reference for finding actual jobs, so I just assumed that would be a fair place to check. I plan on checking out the career fair whenever my school or some other community near throws one, whenever that happens to be.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Kim Jong III posted:

Do go on...

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

etcetera08 posted:

Do go on...

I don't know how much faith I put in statistics from placement agencies and hiring managers, but they'll all tell you that "80% of jobs aren't publicly advertised." For some personal examples, I'm working at my current job after bumping into an old coworker at a bar and talking about his new job. Before that I landed a position at a startup with three guys I'd interned with before. Hell, just yesterday I had a meeting with my manager and he offhandedly asked me if I knew anyone that might be interested in an open QA engineering position.

Make a list of all the programmers you know - the ones you interned with, the ones that you chatted with in data structures, the ones you are friends with on Facebook. Tell them you're looking for a job & ask if they have any tips or references.

In my city we have monthly meetups where programmers go drink beer and chat. Go to those and meet some people. You might get lucky and start talking to a CTO, but even if you end up talking with a fellow programmer ask them if they can introduce to someone they know that you can talk with about finding jobs/contracting opportunities/whatever.

I'm not a programmer wunderkind that is aggressively hunted by other companies, so I have to stay on the hustle. That means networking like mad.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010

aBagorn posted:

I don't "know a guy". I AM that guy.

I went to school for Music Education, taught for a year and hated it. Went full time touring around with a band for about 6 years, then decided to settle down. Got a job in tech support while I taught myself .NET. Did that for a year, and was even allowed to attend some training in the development world.

I just got (in July) my first development job. And I'm surprisingly not drowning. It's difficult sometimes, but I'm in a really good environment with a great Senior Dev on my team that's willing to take the time to bring me up to speed (when he can afford to).

Between that and COC, I'm set. And now I have the job title on my resume, so every job from here on out will be easier to get.

That's awesome, as you Americans say. Encouraging too - I'm starting a new job on Monday as a fresh graduate developing software for a field I'm not very familiar with, and I'm nervous as hell. Wish me luck!

I also regularly read this thread and I'd like to thank you all for the hints and general chit-chat, it's all been very helpful.

dmccaff fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 30, 2012

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Welp I was hoping that aggressive networking wasn't going to be the end all be all solution, but that sort of settles it I guess. Glad there's still time for me to make up for being terribly unsociable. Thanks for the advice.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Not Dave posted:

Welp I was hoping that aggressive networking wasn't going to be the end all be all solution, but that sort of settles it I guess. Glad there's still time for me to make up for being terribly unsociable. Thanks for the advice.

It's not the end all be all solution, it just opens up a lot more opportunities than being yet another random guy on a huge job site populated by job postings from recruiters and clueless HR drones. It also gives you a much, much higher chance of getting past Level 1/2 HR screening which often includes resume parsing software that rejects your application without ever exposing it to human eyes. Apply to the jobs through the people you meet, who are generally going to be much better at judging how your skill set will translate to their development team.

I joined a group of nerds in my area that would get together once a month for dinner and programming chat, after I graduated and had been looking for a job for quite a while. I got a couple interviews through my association with them, and they were with people who knew poo poo about the field (as opposed to HR drones). Though I didn't get my current job through that group, I still have them as contacts and the dinnertime discussions were intellectually stimulating on a level I hadn't realized I'd missed since I graduated. It's worth doing.

Oh, and even if you're bad at the socializing thing, remember that these guys are all nerds too and they all like the same poo poo you like (tech-related, anyway). You already have common ground with people like that. It makes breaking the ice easier.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
I've met people from DDR. I go on Wednesdays with a group of friends when it's half-price and talk with the crowd that gathers.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I work for a startup that is quickly sucking the life out of me.

I started working with another programmer in October of last year. We had a hard deadline in August. Two months before this deadline, the CEO boots our project manager, working as a consultant, to save money because "hey you guys know the requirements plus your plate is so small that you can manage your own project at this point!". Scope creep and other management issues bogged us down and needless to say the deadline was blown. In response, the CEO laid off my partner and I inherited all the responsibility, which includes systems administration tasks I'm not qualified for. I'm having a difficult time filling the knowledge gap the other programmer left behind.

Since then, the day-to-day has been meeting with the CEO on Friday for demonstrating work accomplished for the week, comparing the work with how the requirements read in his head (there is no formal spec to speak of), gather requirements for this week's sprint (though I use the term sprint loosely here), and then work all week to try and meet those requirements for a demo the following Friday. All formal agile development planning went out the window the second our PM was let go).

The biggest problem arises when I'm unable to meet the high-level requirements set forth the previous Friday. I'm not really sure how to manage his expectations as I've never worked in this way before, and I have the impression that it's the wrong way to work in this sort of situation. So here I am trying to figure out the best way to reply to an email where the CEO asserts that I MUST hit the requirements each week. Someone needs to give a little and I'm not sure who that is. We're on a fixed budget, fixed resources, and fixed timeframe which as I understand completely dooms a project from the start. There is no need to say, "Run." as I'm already prepping my resume. Until then, I've got to pay the bills.

Edit: In case it's worth mentioning, this project is the CEO's pet and has absolutely no concept of how to manage programming teams or read code. His contribution is solely appraising work done (visually) and setting expectations for the following week. He dedicates at most 2 hours a week to the project while I'm expected to work nights and weekends without pay (yay for living in a state that gives no extra protection from bullshit Bush-era labor laws regarding overtime for programmers on salary).

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 31, 2012

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Did you get a big raise when your responsibilities suddenly doubled? No? They aren't giving you any extra consideration for working nights and weekends? They have no respect for you and will dump you as soon as the product is out the door. There's no reason to bust your rear end for them. The worst they can do is fire you, and while yes, you have to pay the bills, working nights and weekends for any length of time is going to cause you more financial trouble in the long run (health problems, burnout as a programmer, etc).

If there is any hope of getting a rational idea through their skulls, you need to sit them down and tell them flat out that this project will not be done on time with the amount of resources they are committing to it. They either need to budget more time or more money (more programmers), and they need to work with you to come up with the requirements and deadlines, not just arbitrarily set them. I assume you have some rough idea of how much you can get done in a given week, and they need to have that information and use it. Don't threaten to quit, but you need to make it clear that the level of work and the time you have to do it in are completely unreasonable and that they're going to lead to ruin (yours and the project's both).

If they aren't going to work with you, you have two options:

1) Work nights and weekends like they want, burn yourself out, and still miss some of the "hard" deadlines because your productivity is poo poo from lack of personal downtime. That's just the way it works. You can't just "grind" programming like you're working in a mill; at some point you just run out of mental gas. If you choose this option, they will never let up; even if you complete the project on time and they keep you around, they will expect you to keep to this schedule forever.

2) Work 40 hours/week, miss some of the hard deadlines, and have a life outside of work. Get enough time to yourself to wind down. Probably be more productive each week than you would be if you were putting a ton of extra time in.

In either case you're probably missing deadlines. But if they aren't working with you to make the project to succeed, it's not going to no matter how deeply you grind yourself into the pavement. My advice is to take option 2. They don't own you unless you let them, and you need your own life outside of work. That's the whole loving point.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 1, 2012

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I'm not sure why you posted that if you already know you should quit. Are you just venting?

Why exactly are you working weekends and nights for free? If you don't what happens exactly? Is he goin to fire you? He's already not paying you enough so it seems like a moot point.

I mean otherwise if you want to keep this job for some reason then explain to your boss that you can't possibly meet the expectations o the project because the budget sucks and there isn't anyone to do any of the work. Also point out that since the PM has been fired along with the other programmer, you're essentially doing the work of 3 people. If he's too dense for that it's not like someone in here knows Wat to tell you what to say to make him understand.

I'm purposely being harsh because while you complain about it being life sucking you're still at it letting your boss suck the life out of you for pennies on the dollar.

In case you don't get it. You need to quit, like yesterday.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I would also consider that your boss is not actually a cold-hearted, evil, imbecile who looks forward to putting everything on you until you break. I'd be willing to bet he's simply run out of money, leaving him with no choice other than to shed employees even though he knows he doesn't know gently caress about what's left to do. He's desperate to keep the project going until some sort of release so he can recoup some costs and not end up a homeless, elderly, failure at life.

Take off your dress and stop putting in unpaid overtime. You are a professional developer being paid for a service that someone is not able to provide for themselves. Bottom line is, hello, you are a professional developer, and if you're at your desk working for 40 hours and come up with X amount of work at the end of it, well guess what, you can't reasonably expect much more than that. You shouldn't feel guilty for not *finishing*- there's always another feature or bugs you missed.

Pweller fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 2, 2012

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Thanks for the replies. Reading my last post, it looks like I was doing more ranting than asking what I came here to ask.

To put it another way, I know I need to quit because the situation is already grim. Until I find another job, I'd like to make this work as smooth as possible but I lack the knowledge on how exactly this situation usually works. That is, sole programmer answering to non-technical, "results-oriented" boss. With me working remotely, it's almost like I'm working on a contract basis with him as my client, but I get paid salary instead of hourly or lump sum on completion. Naturally, he wants to know that work is being completed for his money invested, but being put on the chopping block week-to-week every time I miss a feature or something has a bug in it is not working for us; it's almost like we're doing a long code n' test session where production-ready results are expected each week.

quote:

unpaid overtime
The federal laws state that a programming professional under salary can be expected to work overtime without compensation unless they make under $23k a year (it's $27/hr if you're paid hourly). Many states raise the minimum salary figure. I believe California's is $50k, for example. Sadly my state offers no extra protection. My only choices are to work overtime and hate life or not work it and risk getting fired.

Pweller posted:

I'd be willing to bet he's simply run out of money, leaving him with no choice other than to shed employees even though he knows he doesn't know gently caress about what's left to do
Fortunately he has piles of money. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to spend it. He's the cheapest rich guy I've ever met.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 4, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shame Boner posted:

Thanks for the replies. Reading my last post, it looks like I was doing more ranting than asking what I came here to ask.

To put it another way, I know I need to quit because the situation is already grim. Until I find another job, I'd like to make this work as smooth as possible but I lack the knowledge on how exactly this situation usually works. That is, sole programmer answering to non-technical, "results-oriented" boss. With me working remotely, it's almost like I'm working on a contract basis with him as my client, but I get paid salary instead of hourly or lump sum on completion. Naturally, he wants to know that work is being completed for his money invested, but being put on the chopping block week-to-week every time I miss a feature or something has a bug in it is not working for us; it's almost like we're doing a long code n' test session where production-ready results are expected each week.

Does he seem like he'd be receptive to a discussion about how to better manage the project? If so, sit down and talk to him. Do your research; come up with a better project management style and pitch it with concrete examples of how it can improve productivity and help you set reasonable deadlines for tasks.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Shame Boner posted:

The federal laws state that a programming professional under salary can be expected to work overtime without compensation unless they make under $23k a year (it's $27/hr if you're paid hourly). Many states raise the minimum salary figure. I believe California's is $50k, for example. Sadly my state offers no extra protection. My only choices are to work overtime and hate life or not work it and risk getting fired.

Fortunately he has piles of money. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to spend it. He's the cheapest rich guy I've ever met.

The way I would handle it: You and he must create a list of all the tasks that need to be done in order for the project to be completed. He must prioritize them, and YOU estimate the top N tasks of the list. He can schedule you for up to 40 hours of work a week, no more.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ranma posted:

The way I would handle it: You and he must create a list of all the tasks that need to be done in order for the project to be completed. He must prioritize them, and YOU estimate the top N tasks of the list. He can schedule you for up to 40 hours of work a week, no more.

Exactly.

1) You know how much work you can accomplish in a week, and it's not 40 hours, either -- programmers attend meetings. programmers answer emails. Programmers use the bathroom. 30 hours a week of heads-down development time is considered extremely good.

2) You are capable of coming up with reasonable estimates for how long each task will take -- it's common to use a fibonacci numbers for this, because the longer you think something is going to take, the higher the chance is that it will take more.

3) He knows what things are most important to him.

Based on your past performance, determine a velocity. That's how much work you can reasonably be expected to accomplish in a given span of time (usually 2-4 weeks).

Based on 1, 2, and 3, create a product backlog. The backlog contains all of the extant development tasks and bugs, prioritized by the owner.

Make him understand that he gets a bucket that can hold N points worth of stuff. He can put whatever he wants in the bucket, but once the bucket fills up, he can't keep putting stuff into it.

Then you empty the bucket by writing code. At the end, he gets stuff, you get a reasonable work/life balance, and then the process repeats.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Shame Boner posted:

This is pretty much exactly how my last few months with my non-technical startup CEO played out. Committing them to a list of tasks is the standard response to this sort of thing but anecdotally it didn't work for me. Eventually she would hear something from an investor, read an article, or something else that made her decide this new thing was absolutely urgent and it was time to panic and reprioritize the timeline. The problem is that startup CEOs often think they are loving Steve Jobs and fed a constant diet of "you must be insane and willing to break all the rules otherwise you will never be a success" which makes things like timelines a joke to them. Often the only person they will really listen to is a technical person who is also invested in the future of the company, like a CTO. I shouldn't have to tell you that there was no solution, I just got the gently caress out of there as soon as I could.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shame Boner posted:

"results-oriented" boss.

Do you use a reasonably modern source control system? Make lots of small commits and show bossman how to look at the commit history. That will at least give him something concrete to look at and graph and whatever poo poo people like him like to do with that kind of information.

quote:

Let me restate what Pweller said. Stop putting in this level of unpaid overtime. Overtime for developers is for crunch time, making sure the poo poo that needs to get done gets done. It is for short term. Putting in more than 40 hours per week in the long term actually decreases the amount of work you get done. There are studies that have been done about this. 40 is the number for a reason.

It doesn't matter how legal it is to expect you to work nights and weekends without additional compensation. You are a professional. Don't doubt it for a second, act like it, and demand to be treated as one. You can demand politely, and the advice directly above me is full of good ways to do that. But demand it.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
After reading the replies, the boss and I had a discussion and we decided to just table everything until tomorrow where we're going to meet, audit the project, and decide where to go from there. This is where I'm going to set both his expectations and the pace for the rest of (my involvement in) the project. The advice I received is going to help a lot in drawing me out some sane guidelines that I'll probably have to work at getting him to stick to. If it doesn't work out, it's better off being unemployed anyway as a few of you pointed out.

Regarding version control, we've always been working out of a private repo on GitHub and when we still had a project manager, kept our timeline organized in Pivotal (using Fibonacci as our units of effort). Once the project manager was cut, Pivotal was unfortunately the first thing we started to get lax with, then eventually stop using altogether. I kinda liked it and it kept poo poo reasonably organized.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Thanks everyone for the advice about CS in grad school and about how it won't really teach me to code. I'll definitely take it into consideration, especially because it was basically unanimous from all the goons who responded.

Strikes me as strange that colleges wouldn't wise up and start teaching people the actual skills that they need, especially for such an important and thriving field. Are there any non-college accredited classes or programs for learning to code? I can't seem to find any, save for one in Chicago that has short, intensive workshops. I just really like the idea of structured learning, personally, and still doubt I would be able to do it on my own time; I'm married and working so without the structure it just would be very difficult.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doghouse posted:

Thanks everyone for the advice about CS in grad school and about how it won't really teach me to code. I'll definitely take it into consideration, especially because it was basically unanimous from all the goons who responded.

Get a Master's in Software Engineering if you want more or less nothing but coding and practical work.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

baquerd posted:

Get a Master's in Software Engineering if you want more or less nothing but coding and practical work.

Counterpoint: there are enough atrocious SWE programs (especiallyeven at the graduate level) that having that phrase in the education section of your resume may land it in the circular file at some places

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Doghouse posted:

Strikes me as strange that colleges wouldn't wise up and start teaching people the actual skills that they need,

Computer science uses programming as a tool to explore its concepts. It's just like studying astronomy for 4 years and then complaining that you don't know how to build telescopes.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Doghouse posted:

Strikes me as strange that colleges wouldn't wise up and start teaching people the actual skills that they need, especially for such an important and thriving field.

The answer that every professor and department head will give you is that college is not meant to be vocational training (especially not a Masters program). On a theoretical level this is a correct stance especially considering the modern focus of academia on research. However, in practice the larger portion of undergrads and hiring managers treat a CS program as technical school for the vocation of programming. It is a pretty lame situation but it is the situation.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Doghouse posted:

Strikes me as strange that colleges wouldn't wise up and start teaching people the actual skills that they need,

Which skills? Web development skills? SQL database-using skills? Systems programming skills? Hooking UI's together in VB? Functional programming? Designing languages and writing interpreters or compilers for them? Embedded programming in C on a machine with limited resources? The control theory you need for good queue management? Numeric integration techniques? Network programming? The tricks of the trade when it comes to async event-driven programming? Serializing and deserializing floating point numbers without losing precision? Multithreading? The POSIX API and Linux extensions to it? Doing cryptography correctly?

For example, I went to college from 2004 to 2007. The signalfd and eventfd interfaces were added to the Linux kernel in July 2007. Am I supposed to not be able to use them because I didn't take any systems programming classes after then?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Paolomania posted:

On a theoretical level this is a correct stance especially considering the modern focus of academia on research.

True.

What about something like this? It looks like the focus is very hands-on, so to speak, and they call it "Applied" Computer Science.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

Computer science uses programming as a tool to explore its concepts. It's just like studying astronomy for 4 years and then complaining that you don't know how to build telescopes.

That's probably the best analogy I've ever seen for this problem.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

It's a good analogy. But the schools themselves are making it seem as if as CS degrees are the ticket to a career in computer programming. So in the analogy, the schools would be touting how their astronomy programs will lead to great careers in telescope production. Or something like that.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Meh, what are you guys talking about. Half of astronomy is all about building telescopes. The other half is about building models that explain or predict phenomena.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Look at all these non-Astronomer scrubs talking about Astronomy.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ithaqua posted:

“Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.”

:smug:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

tef posted:

“Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.”

:smug:

Yeah, I adapted it. :smug:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that getting a CS degree does (or can, really) teach you how to code. It certainly did for me anyway, although obviously YMMV depending on school. For myself and the other students at my college, it provided a decent foundation of basic coding ability, style, and design (there was a required class on Software Design & Testing). For those who wanted more, well you were now surrounded by other students who were learning and likely amenable to giving you tips, as well as some very knowledgeable professors (it seemed like most had been in industry before for a significant amount of time, and some still were).

And aside from the argument that CS degrees are/are not good for developing coding ability, they are indisputably useful for getting coding jobs.

I also think that Dijkstra analogy is really bad. There's some truth in it, but a more accurate statement would be, "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about ways we can perceive and interact with the heavens."

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 5, 2012

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The Dijkstra quote is a perfectly good criticism of the hardware reductionism that exists among people whose background is in electrical engineering, i.e. the belief that CS follows trivially from understanding the hardware. No way did he possibly mean that computer science is irrelevant to programming, seeing as his entire career was about putting programming on a scientific basis.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm not sure why you posted that if you already know you should quit. Are you just venting?

Why exactly are you working weekends and nights for free? If you don't what happens exactly? Is he goin to fire you? He's already not paying you enough so it seems like a moot point.

I mean otherwise if you want to keep this job for some reason then explain to your boss that you can't possibly meet the expectations o the project because the budget sucks and there isn't anyone to do any of the work. Also point out that since the PM has been fired along with the other programmer, you're essentially doing the work of 3 people. If he's too dense for that it's not like someone in here knows Wat to tell you what to say to make him understand.

I'm purposely being harsh because while you complain about it being life sucking you're still at it letting your boss suck the life out of you for pennies on the dollar.

In case you don't get it. You need to quit, like yesterday.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm making under $15/hour at this job while getting poo poo on from above with such fun things as "requires tons of management" (because they can't keep me informed of what needs done and I can't read minds), "is a social misfit so we can pay him less" (I make $5-$10 less than the other two developers here despite being here for nearly a year vs. 3 months and 1 month, while the other two were hired to help take some load off), and other really nice things.

The communications here are crap and I've already had the pleasure of working from 8:30 in the morning to 3:00 in the morning, twice, to meet some whim-of-the-moment deadline that just came up. Scope creep has absolutely ruined the project and the latest and greatest hire, a(nother) manager, has outright decided that we can have a total rewrite of everything done before the end of the month, while simultaneously supporting a sudden, massive influx of clients.

Is there any hope of redeeming this at all, in anyone's experience? I'm working on getting out as quickly as possible -- they've made it clear that the "Lead Developer" is actually on the bottom of the totem pole -- but in the mean time I'd like to see if there's any good advice about salvaging this until it's over.

To that end, is there any better ideas for getting hired than just firing off applications to decent-looking ads on Craigslist? I'm trying to branch off and find better places to connect and I'm somewhat out of ideas, since people have said things like Monster are basically only good for getting spammed.

The recruiter that brought on the other two employees here is pretty lovely as well, so I'm not sure I want to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

Is there any hope of redeeming this at all, in anyone's experience? I'm working on getting out as quickly as possible -- they've made it clear that the "Lead Developer" is actually on the bottom of the totem pole -- but in the mean time I'd like to see if there's any good advice about salvaging this until it's over.

The way you redeem this is to politely refuse to stay until 3am (or anything even close) while quietly looking for a new job. Indulging your management's unreasonable demands is only going to make them respect you less (if such a thing is possible). Nothing really substitutes for a good network when you're looking for a job, but the bar isn't that high to be a lot better than your current situation.