Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Oh I didn't realize that p90s were wired like singles, but now that i actually put any thought into it it makes sense. And yeah, I was thinking a dream 90. Re: manual tap I meant that I wanted to coil tap the humbucker in the bridge position, like when the switch is between the bridge H and the middle S. Thanks for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Any tips on this measure of What's New in Baltimore? This is two eighth-note arpeggios. Each note sustains until the chord change.
----------------------
---------5----------7-
-------5----------7---
-----5----------7-----
---3----------5-------
-1----------3---------

I've been working on the changes for a hour or so and I can get 3 strings now most of the time. Only 2 left...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How're you fingering it? If you're doing it 123 you've got hella reach.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
1, 2, 4. The barre is really hard to do. I don't think I can barre those 3 strings with my pinky even if I don't fret the 6th string.

likkysnake
Apr 6, 2005

I'm looking at picking up a Jackson KE3 Kelly tomorrow for around AU$1k. I love this shape, and a mate has let me have his Rhoads for the last week or so, the thin neck is amazing to play.

Is it worth spending the extra for the KE3, or should I just get the entry-level JS32t for half the price? are the entry-level jacksons any good?

for comparison:

ke3: alder body w/ bolt-on maple neck, just one control knob (volume), seymour duncan pickups, and a floyd rose bridge.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com.au/guitars/kelly/KE3_Kelly/

js32t: entry level guitar, indian cedro body, maple neck, two control knobs, jackson brand pickups and it's a string-thru.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com.au/guitars/kelly/js32t_kelly/

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well. To start with, the Floyd Rose, while impressive, is a very demanding beast. Is it something you truly want to handle? If you truly need it, it works very well, but personally, I'd decide against it unless I truly needed it.

And yes, I recognize that choices are expensive and limited in Australia.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Salt Fish posted:

1, 2, 4. The barre is really hard to do. I don't think I can barre those 3 strings with my pinky even if I don't fret the 6th string.

I just gave it a go and I can fret it cleanly, but I always play that barre with my pinky anyway so that probably helps - it's probably doable with a bit of practice. Maybe try laying the pinky barre down first and stretching to add the lower notes after that, if you're not already, just to build up strength.

Have you looked up some live videos to see how it's officially done? You could also play it in drop D (probably not) or maybe just play 13x010 and 3x0232 if that'll work for ya

likkysnake
Apr 6, 2005

The Floyd Rose is a pain in the rear end, but it's metal as gently caress :) I've ordered the ke3, should be here by the end of the week! :black101:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Warcabbit posted:

Well. To start with, the Floyd Rose, while impressive, is a very demanding beast. Is it something you truly want to handle? If you truly need it, it works very well, but personally, I'd decide against it unless I truly needed it.

And yes, I recognize that choices are expensive and limited in Australia.
Have one, kinda wish I didn't, don't know if it's borked(look what never goes back in tune like it should) but using a Tremol-no right now anyway and I'm solid for now.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

duckfarts posted:

Have one, kinda wish I didn't, don't know if it's borked(look what never goes back in tune like it should) but using a Tremol-no right now anyway and I'm solid for now.

My first 3 guitars had floyd roses that I never used, consequently I'm not a fan. I acquired a Fender Lead 2 a couple of years back and holy jeez it's amazing having a guitar where breaking a string isn't a total time-suck catastrophe. My girlfriend has a Charvel Model 2 that she never plays and was commenting how she never noticed that her (floyd rose licensed) bridge was that irritating to change strings on to my puzzlement. Lo and behold when I went to give it a setup a few weeks back I realized that whoever owned it before her had blocked the trem with 2 pieces of MDF and in her 15 years of ownership she'd never noticed it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with one of these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-talman-tcm50-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

Ibanez Talman. My Telecoustic broke - like, big time - and I'm looking for a replacement. I dislike dreadnoughts, and I'd prefer an acoustic-electric just so I can be a lazy little gently caress when it comes to tuning. I basically want to know if this sounds better than my Telecoustic did (which sounded like strumming a bag of dicks). I'm not in any huge hurry - I still have my electric to play around with, along with a complete disregard for my neighbors.

One more question, really: I'd like to replace the pickups in my AL-3110 - should I also replace the tuning / volume pots while I'm in there, and if so with what? The stock ones could be better.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 27, 2012

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Revvik posted:

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Ibanez Talman.

I've got a Talman TCY20. It has great tone for a thin body but it's still a thin body, so if you play it acoustic you're going to lose the bass end and it's nowhere near as loud. The electrics are good and the EQ fills in nicely when you're plugged in. For such a delicate looking thing it's built like a tank; I've had it fall out of its case/stand a few times and hit the floor hard and I can't find a scratch on it.

Also mine smells like whiskey for some reason. I have no idea why (I didn't buy it used, no stains on it anywhere) but I consider it a bonus.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah just replace the whole electronics harness, it would be fairly cheap and you can't go wrong with any of the common brands. I prefer CTS but it really doesn't matter.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
With regards to alternate picking, what types of stroke should be used for a sixteenth note grouping? For example if beat 1 has 2 sixteenth notes followed by an eighth note, how can I pick this properly. Since downbeats should have down strokes and upbeats upstrokes, do I need to do 2 down strokes or upstrokes in a row to properly pick this figure?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You don't need to match beats to strokes at all. You can, it'll change the timbre of the notes an almost imperceptible amount based on your picking technique, but it really isn't required.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Martin Backpackers: Good idea, horrible idea?

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Does anyone have any experience with Breedlove guitars? I was trying out acoustics at the local Guitar Center and happened on a Passport C250. It sounded way better than it had any right to for its price. Maybe it was the cedar.

Warcabbit posted:

Martin Backpackers: Good idea, horrible idea?

They don't sound all that great, but you'll get away with playing them around a camp fire and you'll save yourself having to lug around your dreadnaught while hiking. I can't think of a situation other than camping/hiking/long walks where I'd prefer a backpacker to a regular guitar.

Bonus: Backpackers tend to be fairly sturdy, good for fending off wolves/bears in a pinch.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MoosetheMooche posted:

With regards to alternate picking, what types of stroke should be used for a sixteenth note grouping? For example if beat 1 has 2 sixteenth notes followed by an eighth note, how can I pick this properly. Since downbeats should have down strokes and upbeats upstrokes, do I need to do 2 down strokes or upstrokes in a row to properly pick this figure?

I wish there was a way to write musical notation on the forums because I've been practicing this exact thing and I have a couple exercises I worked out for it.

I usually start with just 8th notes and play them for a few measures without changing notes. Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick... then I choose a beat and subdivide one of the eighth notes into sixteen notes to get tick-ka tick tick tick... and you find that after the sixteenth note pair you're using upstrokes on the beat. It takes a lot of practice to get it sounding even. Even harder is playing the next sixteenth note pair in the same place because you have to initiate the pattern with an upstroke. tick-ka tick tick tick tick-ka tick tick tick....

Once you get good at subdividing try dropping them in at random; at will. Speed it up and then play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc

The pattern in this song is really simple; subdivide the first eighth note, play two eighth notes, and then subdivide the 4th, play 2 eighth notes, subdivide the 7th, play 2 eighth notes, subdivide...etc.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

muike posted:

You don't need to match beats to strokes at all. You can, it'll change the timbre of the notes an almost imperceptible amount based on your picking technique, but it really isn't required.

Yeah, I try and keep a fluid alternation regardless of where it is in the measure if I'm not skipping strings, but sometimes repeated downstrokes are necessary to achieve a certain sound, like in metal or punk, or if it is easier to hit certain notes like if it was 4 4 on the low E then 6 on the D or something I would go dn, dn, up.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

seigfox posted:

I can't think of a situation other than camping/hiking/long walks where I'd prefer a backpacker to a regular guitar.

Air travel. It'll fit in the overhead compartment if you want to bring a guitar on a trip.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I was thinking of keeping it in a corner in the office to practice on quietly.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

If the concern is noise more than space you could also grab a soundhole mute and use a regular acoustic. If you're going to cart it back and forth I'd go for a traveler or backpacker though.

saganite posted:

Air travel. It'll fit in the overhead compartment if you want to bring a guitar on a trip.

That's an excellent idea, I'd never even thought to try that.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you can find one, try a Washburn backpacker. I thought it sounded both louder and fuller toned. It's comparably sized and priced, as well. Still sounds dinky, but I've played a Martin backpacker too, and I'd be on the fence about just using a ukulele instead.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Manky posted:

If you can find one, try a Washburn backpacker. I thought it sounded both louder and fuller toned. It's comparably sized and priced, as well. Still sounds dinky, but I've played a Martin backpacker too, and I'd be on the fence about just using a ukulele instead.

Capitalizing on this, how are Washburn acoustics and electroacoustics? I wanted to buy a Yamaha but I can't get them anymore over here, but Washburns are plentiful, for some reason. Any model in particular I should keep an eye for?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I was looking for something not too loud that would fit in a corner. More a matter of space and durability rather than being able to be heard. I need more practice time.

You know, you never hear about Washburns anymore. They used to be a decent brand... didn't whatshisname, Guns of LA Guns play it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's time for you to embrace your ukulele destiny!

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Capitalizing on this, how are Washburn acoustics and electroacoustics? I wanted to buy a Yamaha but I can't get them anymore over here, but Washburns are plentiful, for some reason. Any model in particular I should keep an eye for?

Washburns are excellent value for money in my experience, I have a WD32SCE (an entry level acoustic with piezo pickups and built in preamp/tuner) that I use as 'beater' (it's the one I'll bring to parties or to the beach) and it's a really nice guitar especially considering that I bought it new for like $250.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

seigfox posted:

That's an excellent idea, I'd never even thought to try that.
Most airlines let you carry on your axe and put it in a compartment up front by the door so you don't have subject it to hamfisted luggage crews :science:

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
So I realize that this is likely a question without an easy answer, but here goes nothing:

I'm a high school teacher who has played bass for 11 years and guitar for a total of about 18 months spread out over those 11 years, and consecutively for about 4 months. An idea at school to have a Guitar Club, basically me leading a jam session with students requesting songs they want to learn, snowballed into an entire guitar class for all the beginners who want to learn. It's an afterschool program class, so I don't believe I have to worry about grades and tests and all that.

So now, as a very much mediocre guitar player, I'm in charge of teaching this class. The higher-ups want me focusing more on acoustic guitar techniques, but I will have a mix of kids with acoustics and electrics. I'm going to pick up the textbook that I used for a guitar class in college, and I have a few ideas for the first few lessons, but I really have no idea how to structure this class. Any pointers/suggestions to keep it interesting for the kids?

I should also mention that while the school is footing the bill for some guitars for the kids who don't already have one, they won't allow the guitars to be taken out of the building - meaning that some students will only play during class time, which will be ~2 hours per week.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I'd base what you teach off the songs you learn. For example, you start with "What I Got" or whatever the kids listen to nowadays to get those G and C chords down and go from there. Have them take turns doing pentatonic solos over the changes. Print out charts for the songs so they can take them home and work on them. Since they can't take the guitars home, encourage them to persuade their parents to buy cheapies off craigslist or beginner Yamahas, etc. Do you have a kid who's a drummer? That's going to make it a lot more fun for them if they can jam with a rhythm section. That's assuming there's a drum set, which the school should get if it's serious about a guitar/band class.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Does anyone know anything about California brand guitars? I have a black Strat lookalike I got, and I was just trying to see if I got it for a good deal or not ($65 at a pawn shop) I'm mainly using it with Rocksmith to just kinda learn to play.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

A guy is wanting to trade me a pedal for a case I've got...

Any of these particularly good?

Boss bd-2 blues driver,
DS-1 distortion,
os-2 overdrive/distortion,
danelectro cool cat chorus

Also, how's the Vox AD30VT or the Peavey Studio Pro 112 amp?

I'm a little disappointed with my Fender Mustang amp and was looking to move to something else.

crm fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 31, 2012

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I think the blues driver and OS-2 are both really solid distortion pedals (don't let "blues" box you in), but pretty cheap too so I don't know how that would stack up with your case.

I'd forget about all those amps and try a Roland Cube. They're lightweight, loud, and super easy to dial good tones.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The BD-2 is a very solid pedal, if it'll make noises you want to use, you'll get a lot of use out of it.

The Cool Cat is an incredibly cheap pedal (I got mine for $15 or so), but also pretty good.

As far as amps go, I favor the Vox, I've gotten a lot of use out of that specific amp's little brother. But I can't speak to the speaker in it.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
So I picked up an American Strat with active EMGs in it a few years ago at a pawn shop on the cheap

It's acting funny right now, it keeps popping when I have it plugged in, I think it's a grounding issue. It's basically unplayable because it will turn into horrendous static pretty quickly. Wiggling the instrument cable seems to help sometimes, but not much.

There's this black wire inside that's just kind of hanging around not connected to anything. I assume it's the grounding wire? What should I attach it to? I'm honestly not sure if it's the grounding wire though, so... I dunno what I'm doing :(

I can take photos...

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 1, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I have no pedals, so it would probably fit in well :D

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ashgromnies posted:

So I picked up an American Strat with active EMGs in it a few years ago at a pawn shop on the cheap

It's acting funny right now, it keeps popping when I have it plugged in, I think it's a grounding issue. It's basically unplayable because it will turn into horrendous static pretty quickly. Wiggling the instrument cable seems to help sometimes, but not much.

There's this black wire inside that's just kind of hanging around not connected to anything. I assume it's the grounding wire? What should I attach it to? I'm honestly not sure if it's the grounding wire though, so... I dunno what I'm doing :(

I can take photos...

It does sound like a grounding issue, but just in case, try changing the battery.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

muike posted:

It does sound like a grounding issue, but just in case, try changing the battery.

That's what I was doing when I noticed the wire, it has a brand new battery in it.

I dunno where that wire should go, though. :saddowns:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

That's what I was doing when I noticed the wire, it has a brand new battery in it.

I dunno where that wire should go, though. :saddowns:

Any way you can post a picture of the cavity? There are several places that wire could belong, and I (or anyone else) might be able to help if I (we) can see what's going on. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

EMGs don't get grounded anyways so if it is a retro fit they may have just left the old ground hanging rather than clip it off.
Trace the black wire and see where it goes.