Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Feces Starship posted:

gently caress THE CONCEPT OF SATURDAY; IT IS BUTTHOLE AND DOESN'T EVEN EXISt

I dunno man I've had days like that. Months, even.

PS I love how much more active this thread is during the week. It's as though...everyone is posting from work. :o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Feces Starship posted:

yes entris, a normal human adult was complaining about the occurrence of a particularly numbered calendar year falling in relational sequence to other numbered years

Feces Starship posted:

gently caress THE CONCEPT OF SATURDAY; IT IS BUTTHOLE AND DOESN'T EVEN EXISt

Reading this post was my lunch break. I'm kinda ok with that. Thanks for brightening up my day.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boxman posted:

I dunno man I've had days like that. Months, even.

PS I love how much more active this thread is during the week. It's as though...everyone is posting from work. :o

The last thing I want to do in my free time is talk with more lawyers about lawyering, even if only in the most attenuated and antisocial sense.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Seriously 2012 sucks.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1190080/

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Boxman posted:

Seriously 2012 sucks.

2016 is worse. :v:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dogen posted:

I was taking the fact that school has started to infer that 3L was meant, but who knows

Well I haven't been in law school for a while now, so I forgot about that.

Feces Starship posted:

yes entris, a normal human adult was complaining about the occurrence of a particularly numbered calendar year falling in relational sequence to other numbered years

I can't help it, I was a philosophy major before law school.

At least I'm not Izzy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

entris posted:

Well I haven't been in law school for a while now, so I forgot about that.

I only know because I am losing my clerk and also campus is two blocks away, or I too would have wondered :wtf:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
26 F.3d 1098 is a worthwhile read.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

26 F.3d 1098 is a worthwhile read.
"Despite their obvious irrelevancy, the prosecutor asked witnesses to identify photographs of almost fifty exotic reptiles, ranging from "False Gravial Crocodiles" to "Calico Reticulated Pythons". In addition to seeking the identification of these reptiles (only a handful of which even remotely fit into the lizard or iguana family), the prosecutor wasted hours of the court's time by probing many of his witnesses regarding their knowledge of these exotic reptiles' specific coloring, their breeding practices, and the prices they would command in the reptile market."

Sweet

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Are we playing Guild Wars 2?

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Dogen posted:

I was taking the fact that school has started to infer that 3L was meant, but who knows
Indeed, I was referring to 3L year. I'm not sure how else to phrase it, since people routinely ask "What year are you?" Though next time I think I'll be sassy and say "1986" or something.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Doing journal 3L year is a bad idea. Do not want.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Just wanted to pop in and say that clerking owns and my peasant wages are p much totally compensated for by IBR. All in all worth destroying my body and almost my marriage during law school.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

woozle wuzzle posted:

"Despite their obvious irrelevancy, the prosecutor asked witnesses to identify photographs of almost fifty exotic reptiles, ranging from "False Gravial Crocodiles" to "Calico Reticulated Pythons". In addition to seeking the identification of these reptiles (only a handful of which even remotely fit into the lizard or iguana family), the prosecutor wasted hours of the court's time by probing many of his witnesses regarding their knowledge of these exotic reptiles' specific coloring, their breeding practices, and the prices they would command in the reptile market."

Sweet

Also

quote:

While this case concerned the fairly simple issue of whether the Crutchfields had illegally imported an endangered iguana species into the United States, many of the prosecutor's inquiries on direct and cross examination had little, if anything, to do with the resolution of this issue. Indeed, his examination of the witnesses included countless irrelevant inquiries seemingly designed only to display to the jury his own expertise in the reptile field

:siren: gunner alert :siren:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
One of the top rated posts from the Obama AMA on Reddit:

quote:

I am recent law school graduate. Despite graduating from a top school, I find myself unemployed with a large student loan debt burden. While I'm sure my immediate prospects will improve in time, it's difficult to be optimistic about the future knowing that my ability to live a productive life -- to have a fulfilling career, to buy a house, to someday raise a family -- is hampered by my debt and the bleak economic outlook for young people. I know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. Many of us are demoralized. Your 2008 campaign was successful in large part due to the efforts of younger demographics. We worked for you, we campaigned for you, and we turned out in record numbers to vote for you. What can I say to encourage those in similar situations as I am to show up again in November? What hope can you offer us for your second term?

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
I liked the part of his answer where he wants to promote manufacturing, because it's super encouraging to me as an upcoming law grad.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Solid Lizzie posted:

I liked the part of his answer where he wants to promote manufacturing, because it's super encouraging to me as an upcoming law grad.

You can help set up entities that can help shelter income from taxation (or, alternatively, be allowed to qualify for the repatriation waiver)! :downs:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
If law school doesn't work out, just go back to the coal mines.

Remember "Deer Hunter"? That seemed like fun. Just replace Vietnam with Iran.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"Justice Scalia has called himself in print a “faint-hearted originalist.” It seems he means the adjective at least as sincerely as he means the noun."
-Richard A. Posner

http://www.tnr.com/article/magazine/books-and-arts/106441/scalia-garner-reading-the-law-textual-originalism?page=0,0

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Solid Lizzie posted:

President Obama posted:

"I understand how tough it is out there for recent grads. You're right - your long term prospects are great, but that doesn't help in the short term. Obviously some of the steps we have taken already help young people at the start of their careers. Because of the health care bill, you can stay on your parent's plan until you're twenty six. Because of our student loan bill, we are lowering the debt burdens that young people have to carry. But the key for your future, and all our futures, is an economy that is growing and creating solid middle class jobs - and that's why the choice in this election is so important. The other party has two ideas for growth - more taxs cuts for the wealthy (paid for by raising tax burdens on the middle class and gutting investments like education) and getting rid of regulations we've put in place to control the excesses on wall street and help consumers. These ideas have been tried, they didnt work, and will make the economy worse. I want to keep promoting advanced manufacturing that will bring jobs back to America, promote all-American energy sources (including wind and solar), keep investing in education and make college more affordable, rebuild our infrastructure, invest in science, and reduce our deficit in a balanced way with prudent spending cuts and higher taxes on folks making more than $250,000/year. I don't promise that this will solve all our immediate economic challenges, but my plans will lay the foundation for long term growth for your generation, and for generations to follow. So don't be discouraged - we didn't get into this fix overnight, and we won't get out overnight, but we are making progress and with your help will make more."

Don't get me wrong, I like Obama. This answer though...

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

evilweasel posted:

"Justice Scalia has called himself in print a “faint-hearted originalist.” It seems he means the adjective at least as sincerely as he means the noun."
-Richard A. Posner

http://www.tnr.com/article/magazine/books-and-arts/106441/scalia-garner-reading-the-law-textual-originalism?page=0,0
This is a really good read. Thanks for linking it.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Scalia being intellectually dishonest? Shocked, shocked, I say!

If ever a jurist made me want to make statements with reckless disregard as to its truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge, it's Scalia.

(And this one judge I read about in CA who apparently thinks preemption doesn't apply in state court.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like Obama. This answer though...

I think the intern missed the "law school" part of the question and gave the stock graduate answer.

(Don't get me wrong, I like Obama. But if you think it was actually him at the keyboard for more than twenty seconds for a photo op...)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Alaemon posted:

Scalia being intellectually dishonest? Shocked, shocked, I say!

If ever a jurist made me want to make statements with reckless disregard as to its truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge, it's Scalia.

(And this one judge I read about in CA who apparently thinks preemption doesn't apply in state court.)

But he's so drat smug and condescending when he does it. "Forgedaboudit"

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

evilweasel posted:

-Richard A. Posner

If you scrolled past this, now is your chance to undo that stupid thing, click this, and read every word.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Petey posted:

If you scrolled past this, now is your chance to undo that stupid thing, click this, and read every word.

That's why I get angry when people suggest Thomas is Scalia's puppet. Scalia is the Republican party operative on the court. Thomas actually believes in what he's saying.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

evilweasel posted:

-Richard A. Posner

Thank you for this. God Posner owns

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Least prepared opposing counsel contest:

MSJ hearing, my client is dead in the water. I had no defense (clearly a breach of K).

OC shows up 45 minutes late to trial, huffing and puffing as he enters the court room. OC hasn't shaven and has no jacket. Bailiff initially refuses entry due to no jacket. At this point I propose a settlement for 1/3rd of the the amount due. We settle the case and go back into the court room to inform the Judge. As we enter the judge barks "Which one of you is the attorney and which one of you is the client", then proceeded to tear into OC. After the crucifixion he turns to me and asks, "Counselor, would you like to add anything?" I politely declined.

I demand all my OC be this awesome.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^^^^That's hilarious.

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

Dinosaur attorneys: Don't try to shoot the poo poo with me when you are literally shooting poo poo. I don't like talking to you when you have to raise the sound of your voice to overcome the sounds coming out of your rear end.

I know it's a generational thing but god drat.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Least prepared opposing counsel contest:

MSJ hearing, my client is dead in the water. I had no defense (clearly a breach of K).

OC shows up 45 minutes late to trial, huffing and puffing as he enters the court room. OC hasn't shaven and has no jacket. Bailiff initially refuses entry due to no jacket. At this point I propose a settlement for 1/3rd of the the amount due. We settle the case and go back into the court room to inform the Judge. As we enter the judge barks "Which one of you is the attorney and which one of you is the client", then proceeded to tear into OC. After the crucifixion he turns to me and asks, "Counselor, would you like to add anything?" I politely declined.

I demand all my OC be this awesome.

I fear we're actually beginning to enjoy our jobs.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

That's why I get angry when people suggest Thomas is Scalia's puppet. Scalia is the Republican party operative on the court. Thomas actually believes in what he's saying.

Yeah, Thomas is far more ideologically consistent; it's just that his philosophy is totally nuts.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

It's a good proxy for filtering out people with worthless political opinions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sorry, my opinion of Thomas is still largely shaped by watching him nap during oral arguments.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

Sorry, my opinion of Thomas is still largely shaped by watching him nap during oral arguments.

I like him more for that, actually, because a) he realizes it's all in the briefs anyway, and b) at least he doesn't grandstand about Our Liberty or whatever bullshit Scalia keeps going on about at questioning.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

It's almost as if after dedicating his life to the law, Scalia has decided he despises it and wants to destroy it with an untenable but superficially consistent judicial philosophy. It always makes me think of an old episode of the Simpsons

code:
             [the light comes from a lighthouse outside]
       Man: I'm telling you the light would work better if it pointed
            out to sea.
McAllister: Arr, shut up!  I know what I'm doing.
             [a boat crashes in the distance]
            Arr, I hate the sea and everything in it.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Thank you for this. God Posner owns

Posner is also completely awesome in person. If I was in his position I'd probably be a total dick, but he's really cool.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

insanityv2 posted:

Gotta love it when a kid straight up accuses professors of trying to trick students on the exams during orientation.

The profs were having a panel discussion on whats expected of students before during and after class and when questions are taken she goes on with this story about how she heard a professor "talked about policy all semester then asked no policy questions on the test."

What's up fellow Cornell 1L

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Ahahahaha

Did you figure it out from my post history, or did you recognize the incident I described?

I do hope it's the latter.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Apparently one of the new 1Ls, at an orientation Q&A, asked if he could "opt into grades" first semester. When told no, he asked if he could take an undergrad class so he could have a grade this semester.

That he was not summarily expelled is a failure of this law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Warszawa posted:

Apparently one of the new 1Ls, at an orientation Q&A, asked if he could "opt into grades" first semester. When told no, he asked if he could take an undergrad class so he could have a grade this semester.

That he was not summarily expelled is a failure of this law school.

What the gently caress does that mean?

And don't worry, he'll be expelled from life only after amassing massive amounts of debt.