Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Flikken posted:

I think the German radio operated glide bombs would be the first drones

First guided weapon to sink a battleship too; the Italian Roma, on her way to Malta to formally surrender. They also got a cruiser off the Anzio beachhead, possibly the Southhampton, and damaged the Warspite there was well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I've been on a close air support kick recently and came upon this clever piece from Burt Rutan:

I think the official designation was the ARES, but also seemed to have the nickname of 'Mudfighter'.

Here's a cool promotional video, sadly in poor quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9LlHcX8lg

It's a single seater, single turbofan, maneuverable-as-hell CAS fighter built around a 25mm rotary cannon. Designed to be very low cost and simple, it looks like the sort of thing that would have been extremely useful in the sort of counter insurgency battles that have been going on the past decade or so.

It has a kind of audacious simplicity to its design that I love. The video does a good job of illustrating its features and even shows some live-fire!

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Last seen as a fictional WW2 German aircraft in Iron Eagle 3.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It looks like it has no room for fancy avionics, targeting devices, or actual decent armaments.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Nimrod MR2 XV260 at the RAF Leuchars airshow.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

It looks like it has no room for fancy avionics, targeting devices, or actual decent armaments.

Skip to around 5:30 in the video where Burt shows how the whole centre portion of the fuselage is empty to allow for internal payloads or whatever other gear one would want to stuff in there.
It also has wing mounts for rockets etc. The GAU-12 is the same cannon the Harrier carries.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Rutan-built planes are pretty much only good at taking out John Denver.

Too soon?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

mlmp08 posted:

The design came out of an Army request for a dirt-cheap flying gun for CAS, so avionics beyond a simple gunsight weren't much of a priority. Of course, since it was the Army asking for fixed-wing CAS, it never went anywhere beyond a single prototype and a "good job there sport" for Burt Rutan.

I think the "Mudfighter" nickname comes from the same dude who's obsessed with M113s and wants everybody to call them "Gavins" and overhaul their doctrine to use them. The video description is pretty funny in that regard.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Hahaha. Sparky.

God the wikipedia talk page on the M113 used to be (might still be) an absolute comedy riot. Him and his obvious shill accounts blasting people for not signing their 'real names' to the talk pages, when he was clearly astroturfing with multiple fake aliases.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How could anyone love the M113 so much. It's an aluminum box with tracks and a sad engine.

Even the designer was probably not as keen on it as that guy.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Space Gopher posted:

I think the "Mudfighter" nickname comes from the same dude who's obsessed with M113s and wants everybody to call them "Gavins" and overhaul their doctrine to use them.

Ugh, is that the same guy who did like a 12 page write-up on how the military needs to adopt a tactical wheelbarrow thing as well? Sorry for not vetting that quote of 'mudfighter' if that's the case.

priznat posted:

Rutan-built planes are pretty much only good at taking out John Denver.

Too soon?

Nope! I still love Burt's designs though!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

priznat posted:

How could anyone love the M113 so much. It's an aluminum box with tracks and a sad engine.

Even the designer was probably not as keen on it as that guy.

Certainly not my dad who had to rid *in* them in the early stages of the Vietnam war.

I guess the whole concept of them was to drive infantry to the battle, barf them out, then run away. As such the M113 was never intended to come under direct fire,a role which it is entirely unsuited for as you all well know.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oxford Comma posted:

I guess the whole concept of them was to drive infantry to the battle, barf them out, then run away.

"battle taxi" is a phrase I've heard applied to it more than once, so yes

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Psion posted:

Yeah, think less IFV in the modern sense and more in the WW2 halftrack sense.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The 113 is a piece of poo poo and I can't wait until the last artillery shell carrier rebuild is finally purged from our stockpiles. The compartment heater is particularly loved up here in the frozen north. Nothing beats an aluminium box in -30 centigrade.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

Psion posted:

I would have called it, "Combat Rhombus"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Sjurygg posted:

The 113 is a piece of poo poo and I can't wait until the last artillery shell carrier rebuild is finally purged from our stockpiles. The compartment heater is particularly loved up here in the frozen north. Nothing beats an aluminium box in -30 centigrade.

:goonsay: but you see the M113 is superior to the Stryker in every respect because :goonsay:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Psion posted:

God the wikipedia talk page on the M113 used to be (might still be) an absolute comedy riot. Him and his obvious shill accounts blasting people for not signing their 'real names' to the talk pages, when he was clearly astroturfing with multiple fake aliases.

Still is.

Wasn't he the same nutter who wants our boys in the sandbox to carry an SKS with a Tapco mag as a standard issue backup weapon?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sperglord Actual posted:

Still is.

Wasn't he the same nutter who wants our boys in the sandbox to carry an SKS with a Tapco mag as a standard issue backup weapon?

Excuse me, that's the VULTURE GUN which will be carried by our boys as they fight from M113 GAVINS with MUDFIGHTER close air support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7Zdp2W7eY

Bonus uploader comment:

Mike Sparks actually posted:

American G.I. in WW2 were not insufferable weak egomaniacs like idiots who post comments here that get DELETED; they used ENEMY WEAPONS without their penises falling off...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Tatrakrad posted:

I would have called it, "Combat Rhombus"

Good name for M113 upgrade program, I love it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Space Gopher posted:

Excuse me, that's the VULTURE GUN which will be carried by our boys as they fight from M113 GAVINS with MUDFIGHTER close air support.

This guy needs a dedicated thread. I just dipped into combatreform.org for the first time in years and the rabbit hole has reached unimaginable depths.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

Scut posted:

This guy needs a dedicated thread. I just dipped into combatreform.org for the first time in years and the rabbit hole has reached unimaginable depths.

From Wikipedia M113 discussion page

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

AntiTank posted:

From Wikipedia M113 discussion page

<Autism.jpg>

Christ. Who gets that worked up over a stupid nickname for a piece of poo poo APC?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
They should just call it "Aluminum Shitbox Deathtrap" like my dad did.

Everyone start making this edit on Wikipedia! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Akion posted:

Christ. Who gets that worked up over a stupid nickname for a piece of poo poo APC?

Mike Sparks?

e: It's not just the name though. He seriously envisions the US Army using Chinooks to slingload M113s into the fight, where they will be supported by nothing but swarms of cheap planes fitted for CAS. Abrams? Bradleys? Weapons in a caliber larger than 7.62? FOR SCRUBS. JUST HELICOPTER EVERYTHING IN.

Seriously, though, I think on one level he realizes if he googlebombs the word Gavin hard enough in conjunction with M113 it'll start showing up in search. This has been more effective for the Ares "Mudfighter" than the 113. It's like on some strange level he's accidentally doing something right for his cause by being completely wrong about it all the time.

Oxford Comma posted:

They should just call it "Aluminum Shitbox Deathtrap" like my dad did.

Everyone start making this edit on Wikipedia! :v:

I thought that was the Sheridan :confused:

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 31, 2012

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

On the one hand, it kinda makes sense, as the losing side had a really strong motive for technological innovation. Some of the late war fascist inventions are somewhat like cold war innovations minus electronics. The Japanese had that Kamikaze cruise missile, the Oka, and deployed the world's first strategic submarine - only it launched airplanes and not missiles. Similarly, everybody's favorite Nazi rocket plane, the Me 163, was kinda like a SAM: it was deployed near important industry and was a rocket powered air defense, erm, thing, but was piloted and reusable.

On the other hand, I'm 100% with you. The Nazis loved things that made good propaganda, even at the expense of effectiveness, and the more hopeless the situation, the more technological wunder-waffen straws they were willing to grasp at. The idea of a Locomotive-sized invincible super-tank may have been unbelievably dumb in real life - but it made for a hell of a story. Same thing with the V-2: "so what if it takes 40 tons of potatoes to make the alcohol for a single V-2? We will take our vengeance for allied bombings with hot rocket death!"

One of the important things to remember is that the Allies were doing just as much crazy poo poo, it just wasn't stuff you could pilot. Radar, a lot of the encryption and code cracking stuff, nukes, that sort of thing. Germany gets credit for building things a superhero would use, but as far as practical stuff goes the Allies were a lot more advanced.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

NovemberMike posted:

One of the important things to remember is that the Allies were doing just as much crazy poo poo, it just wasn't stuff you could pilot. Radar, a lot of the encryption and code cracking stuff, nukes, that sort of thing. Germany gets credit for building things a superhero would use, but as far as practical stuff goes the Allies were a lot more advanced.

BAT BOMB

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

NovemberMike posted:

as far as practical stuff goes the Allies were a lot more advanced.

I'm not really sure about that. Things like the V-2, Me-262, etc, may not have been 'practical' as war-winning superweapons, but they were for drat sure practical in ensuring rather large, sudden jumps in US/USSR missile and plane technology circa 1946 ;)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Psion posted:

I'm not really sure about that. Things like the V-2, Me-262, etc, may not have been 'practical' as war-winning superweapons, but they were for drat sure practical in ensuring rather large, sudden jumps in US/USSR missile and plane technology circa 1946 ;)

I think Mike's got a point. Call it the Cryptonomicon thesis of WW2 RnD.

To be as spergy about this as possible, you could probably divide German innovation into three parts. 1) Stuff that actually could have helped them in WW2 if given enough resources/deployed properly (Jet planes, tactical missiles, modern submarines); stuff that was useless to the Germans but would be developed by others post-war (ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, infrared viewers etc) and stuff that was just crazy bullshit (Maus tank, plywood rocket fighters, The Ratte, etc.)

While reading this thread it occurred to me that through most of the cold war Russia's Navy and naval air arm was like a perfected, completed version of what the Germans had in ww2. A huge fleet of submarines, and a lot of long range naval bombers equipped with missiles. Hell, the engine that the Tu-95 uses was stared by German engineers in ww2.

Also, re M 113 Sparky: gosh, the things I learn in this thread :allears:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's important to remember that the Germans weren't the only ones coming up with batshit crazy projects that, in retrospect, you can't loving believe were greenlighted in wartime. The brits and canadians, for example, thought that building a giant loving aircraft carrier that could only go a couple knots and launch 4 engined bombers was not only a great idea, but that it should be made of ice and wood pulp. Yes, that includes the hull.

The Japanese actually bombed the mainland US with glorified weather baloons that had a couple incendiary bombs strapped to them. The idea was to light the forests in the PacNW on fire. They had basically no success with this, and really only managed to kill a couple of civilians who found them after they didn't go off.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's important to remember that the Germans weren't the only ones coming up with batshit crazy projects that, in retrospect, you can't loving believe were greenlighted in wartime.
You can't forget batshit crazy sci-fi poo poo the allies heavily used, just that most of the allies most batshit crazy stuff was killed before much resources were wasted on development, but the rest (radar, sonar, nuclear weapons, etc.) were carried through to fruition and turned out to be pretty successful. Others, like the follies the British used at Normandy, served their purpose very well.

Then again, you had poo poo like US planning to bomb Japan with bats carrying tiny incindiary bombs that succeeded only in burning down virtually the US base doing the research. And USSR training suicide attack dogs to carry bombs under german tanks; except they made the mistake of using soviet tanks to conduct training, and shouldn't have been surprised when the dogs turned around and blew up their own comrades.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 31, 2012

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

My favorite part of this is that the bats escaped and lit part of a US air base on fire. I'd love to see the official report on that one.

Also, both the US and the UK were working on amazingly impractical super-heavy tanks, the T28 and A39, respectively.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 31, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
SA Admin elpintogrande wrote a book about batshit crazy WWII projects: http://www.amazon.com/My-Tank-Fight-Zack-Parsons/dp/0806527587

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Where does the V-3 fit into all this? It's my favorite overly complicated artillery gun project.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes, that includes the hull.

pykrete is bad rear end, I won't hear you slandering it :mad:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

grover posted:

And USSR training suicide attack dogs to carry bombs under german tanks; except they made the mistake of using soviet tanks to conduct training, and shouldn't have been surprised when the dogs turned around and blew up their own comrades.
Cyrano can post more words on this but from what I've seen posted before, "this is unsourced and most likely totally made up".

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

atomicthumbs posted:

Where does the V-3 fit into all this? It's my favorite overly complicated artillery gun project.

A technically interesting idea that like the other V-series weapons was a waste of resources, so I`d say (2) especially since the idea was used again in the HARP project. :canada: Hm, we were speaking of drone aircraft; JFK`s brother was actually killed in an attack on the V-3 site that involved radio shacking remote controlled B-17s filled with explosives directly into the `barrels`of the V-3s.

What Gerard Bull, the ballistics engineer behind HARP, did after might interest you:

wikipedia posted:

Bull never gave up on the idea of building a gun-fired satellite, but was forced to turn to other work. Through the 1970s and 80s he developed a new artillery piece that dramatically outperformed all others. His design, the GC 45, attracted wide attention. Looking for customers, Bull sold the gun to South Africa (then under the apartheid system) and then to Iraq. He was arrested and jailed in the U.S. for the sales to South Africa, and left Canada after his release to live in Brussels.

He then resumed work with Iraq, convincing them to build a new satellite launcher gun, Project Babylon. Saddam Hussein agreed to fund the project, but only if Bull helped with their efforts to re-design the re-entry vehicle of the SCUD missiles in order to improve range. Bull agreed, making him an enemy of Iran and Israel, the intended target of the longer-range missiles. The March 1990 assassination of Bull (allegedly at the hands of the Israeli Mossad or the Iranian VEVAK intelligence agency) in his Brussels apartment, and the 1991 Gulf War ended the project.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Totally TWISTED posted:

Cyrano can post more words on this but from what I've seen posted before, "this is unsourced and most likely totally made up".
If it's made up, it's at least soviet-vintage made up, but doesn't seem like something they'd go out of their way to fabricate.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Farmy.armor.kiev.ua%2Fengenear%2Fsobaka-mina.shtml

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

grover posted:

SA Admin elpintogrande wrote a book about batshit crazy WWII projects: http://www.amazon.com/My-Tank-Fight-Zack-Parsons/dp/0806527587

I was actually introduced to SA by finding My Tank is Fight! in a Barnes and Nobel way back when it was first published, and it's still one of my favorite books. Oh Walter Christie, you crazy diamond. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Psion posted:

Mike Sparks?

e: It's not just the name though. He seriously envisions the US Army using Chinooks to slingload M113s into the fight, where they will be supported by nothing but swarms of cheap planes fitted for CAS. Abrams? Bradleys? Weapons in a caliber larger than 7.62? FOR SCRUBS. JUST HELICOPTER EVERYTHING IN.

Seriously, though, I think on one level he realizes if he googlebombs the word Gavin hard enough in conjunction with M113 it'll start showing up in search. This has been more effective for the Ares "Mudfighter" than the 113. It's like on some strange level he's accidentally doing something right for his cause by being completely wrong about it all the time.

I thought that was the Sheridan :confused:

I'm glad all of you noticed that weird surge in pro m113 stuff too. It's such a drat non sequitur. Nobody in their right mind likes m113s because they serve absolutely no purpose today. They weren't ever much more than the American cousin of the Soviet bmp, filling the of driving troops to fight while shielding them from nbc role. The point he keeps repeating about strykers and other modern apcs not being air droppable is so odd, as if he imagines the US establishing airheads all the time, but aching for apcs to go with them that they just don't have!! No!!! Our airheads!! Aaaaa, help us, bring us m113s, please god, please! It's just so strange.

And totally unrelated, I forgot to say all of those pages back when talking about all of the Soviets and Cubans fighting for Derg Ethiopia in the Ethiopia vs Somalia cold war proxy fight. On the Nato side, IDF pilots flew most of the Somali air force's fighter sorties. It's a bit of funny, the sort of founded fears of Israel provoking world war III being pushed aside for a strange proxy war.