Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Frot Lesnar posted:

Whereas now we have Mario Batali disappearing with no explanation from Food Network.

Mario at least said something I always wanted to about the way they pick judges who 'were on the OC': "Who are you and why the gently caress are you judging my food?"

Good, I've never liked him. His food seems boring to me (I'm not a huge Italian fan anyway), he hates Gordon Ramsay, and he gave birth to Anne Burrell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sba posted:

Good, I've never liked him. His food seems boring to me (I'm not a huge Italian fan anyway), he hates Gordon Ramsay, and he gave birth to Anne Burrell.

Like him or not, he's probably the most talented and decorated iron chef on ICA.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Brocktoon posted:

The NA Iron Chef isn't in the same league as the Japanese version. Hell, it's not even the same sport.

The pageantry of the Japanese Iron Chef was the best part of it. The Chairman wore insane, over the top outfits. I think it was the final episode where he entered the stadium seated on a white stallion.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Frot Lesnar posted:

Mario at least said something I always wanted to about the way they pick judges who 'were on the OC': "Who are you and why the gently caress are you judging my food?"

Where/when was this?

sba posted:

Good, I've never liked him.

Good god now I've heard everything.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Where/when was this?

Good god now I've heard everything.

http://eater.com/archives/2012/05/29/batali-on-iron-chefs-skinny-little-actress-judges-who-the-gently caress-are-you.php

The most brutal Iron Chef Japan was the turtle battle which was so bloody when they deshelled them that they never aired it again.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Frot Lesnar posted:

http://eater.com/archives/2012/05/29/batali-on-iron-chefs-skinny-little-actress-judges-who-the-gently caress-are-you.php

The most brutal Iron Chef Japan was the turtle battle which was so bloody when they deshelled them that they never aired it again.

I don't know if that's necessarily fair, because ditzy bimbo pop stars and actresses as judges are kind of a hallmark of the Japanese series.

Plus, who could forget...KORN!

ETA: After watching the clip from that article, she doesn't say "I don't like raw fish." She doesn't even say "I don't like urchin." Sounds like Batali is totally overreacting. Maybe he needs to loosen his loving crocs.

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 30, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

sba posted:

If he's ever actually had to deal with Ramsey, I'm not really surprised he hates him. Ramsey is amusing to watch but he is clearly also an egotistical twat.

I also find it hard to believe anyone hates Batali, though he kind of comes off as an rear end in that article. People shouldn't need a certain pedigree to eat your loving food.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Frot Lesnar posted:

I saw that on a marathon one that aired one holiday, it was utterly horrifying.

Edit: Actual awesome stuff on IC:
- When Doc Hattori challenged for the right to be an Iron Chef
- When the challenger's mentor sat in on the battle and got drunk and started physically abusing the challenger's helpers
- When an old schoolmate of one of the Iron Chef's (Sakai I think) challenges him after he returns to his old home town for his high school reunion
- Chen being challenged by his father's other apprentice
- The Ohta faction progressively bringing more and more chefs with them every time they turn up until there's a like a hundred of them marching in
- The guy who cooks by himself who sends away his helpers, when the Iron Chef notices he sends his away also so it's a one-on-one battle

So many more...

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 30, 2012

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

axleblaze posted:

I also find it hard to believe anyone hates Batali, though he kind of comes off as an rear end in that article. People shouldn't need a certain pedigree to eat your loving food.

It strikes me as less about them being actresses than them coming onto a show known for non-traditional food without a willingness to try just about anything put in front of you. I hate anything with a gelatin texture but if I were judging ICA (not that I ever would be), I'd choke down Jello made with chicken stock just because these dudes busted their rear end to put it in front of me.

Granted, it does sound like Batali was taking Bourdain pills in that article though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I really wish I could have seen Iron Chef USA when it was on.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Toffile posted:

I really wish I could have seen Iron Chef USA when it was on.

I watched the first episode with William Shatner and the Iron Chef was Kerry Simon who at the time was the "rock star chef". It made me hate Shatner.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Since there's been a little Iron Chef chat:

New Iron Chef Episodes to Start Airing in Japan.

If the show is a shadow of what it was, it'll still be magnificent. :getin:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oh man I hope a new Iron Chef out of Japan gets the proper treatment....surely they can't mess it up anywhere near as bad as some might fear?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Other Iron Chef Japan storylines:
Chen vs. The Entire Staff of Tokyo Chinatown's Oldest Restaurant

Chen vs. A mother and son in two separate matches

Chen vs Sakai as captains of teams pf previous winning contestants

Numerous Revenger and Redemption episodes against prior contestants

Michiba vs Morimoto after Michiba's retirement

Morimoto vs Flay matches

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

Other Iron Chef Japan storylines:
Chen vs. The Entire Staff of Tokyo Chinatown's Oldest Restaurant

Chen vs. A mother and son in two separate matches

Chen vs Sakai as captains of teams pf previous winning contestants

Numerous Revenger and Redemption episodes against prior contestants

Michiba vs Morimoto after Michiba's retirement

Morimoto vs Flay matches

Sakai never losing a seafood battle
Chen never defeating a woman in battle

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Robviously posted:

Since there's been a little Iron Chef chat:

New Iron Chef Episodes to Start Airing in Japan.

If the show is a shadow of what it was, it'll still be magnificent. :getin:

Kobe-san! Make me some pasta. I had no idea. They are still using the same actor for Chairman Kaga? I would pay-per-view that poo poo at this point.

And the Ota faction was by far the baddest rivals of the Iron Chefs, but they were routinely defeated and I loved the chagrin of the fat leader in the royal box. And now that I typed that, Vince McMahon would be jealous of the theatrics.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

osukeith161 posted:

Kobe-san! Make me some pasta. I had no idea. They are still using the same actor for Chairman Kaga? I would pay-per-view that poo poo at this point.

And the Ota faction was by far the baddest rivals of the Iron Chefs, but they were routinely defeated and I loved the chagrin of the fat leader in the royal box. And now that I typed that, Vince McMahon would be jealous of the theatrics.

Considering that the actor playing the chairman is still working on stage, in TV, and voice over work, I would hope so. The really interesting thing is that it's being called a remake and not just new episodes. I wouldn't mind if they kept the old format but found new Iron Chefs. I got the feeling that they have a better idea of what kind of chef the Iron Chefs should be after Nakamura.

Or burn it all down and start fresh with a new chairman and new Iron Chefs. Then the old chairman can come back as the leader of the old Iron Chefs for more faction warfare.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
But what side would his nephew be on? Because he has all the reasources of the Hawiian underworld at his disposal

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

I know a lot of these places are in areas where the inspectors (if there are any) might be stretched thin and I'm not expecting once a month inspections or anything, but we're talking about places no-one could have stuck their head in for YEARS.

I just imagine they are in some libertarian type areas where people are like 'we don't need health inspectors, if the place is unsanitary people will die and then no-one will eat there anymore, the free market works!'

Edit: Of course it's probably just 'we don't have money to pay for an inspector' :(

Hell we have at least an auditor which acts as an offinspector if needed. Double attention to detail (Not that I didn't already, I am just caught up in trying to keep up with my coworkers pace. Otherwise I won't be missing orders)

osukeith161 posted:

Wished they came over and shown Bobby what traditional Japanese cuisine is. Not what his rival Morimoto is cooking up.

And ICA, chefs only come here just to show off and leaving it to his assistant head chef working in the kitchen that night. The equivilant of catering to a couple of celeb chefs.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 3, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

gyrobot posted:

And ICA, chefs only come here just to show off and leaving it to his assistant head chef working in the kitchen that night. The equivilant of catering to a couple of celeb chefs.

I can't for the life of me figure out what you're trying to say here.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Frot Lesnar posted:

Sakai never losing a seafood battle
Chen never defeating a woman in battle

Sakai lost to Ron Siegel in battle lobster. Pretty sure during that episode they mentioned that he'd lost other lobster battles.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

gret posted:

Sakai lost to Ron Siegel in battle lobster. Pretty sure during that episode they mentioned that he'd lost other lobster battles.

He also lost a snapper battle for the 21st Century Battle special.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

gret posted:

You are correct. I do remember it being a thing Fukui-san brought up repeatedly enough that a drinking game was made for it.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

axleblaze posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what you're trying to say here.

ICA challengers are generally here to stoke their egos more than ICJ challengers. WHy ICA haven't gotten an Ohta Faction chef to come over and challenge their ICA chefs?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

gyrobot posted:

ICA challengers are generally here to stoke their egos more than ICJ challengers. WHy ICA haven't gotten an Ohta Faction chef to come over and challenge their ICA chefs?

Mostly because the ICA chefs are a bunch of chumps? Only Morimoto, Symon and Batali really seemed to get what made the original show so cool and that is crazy balls out originality. Except Batali isn't an iron chef anymore and Morimoto has lost his edge since I've seen him use the same dish in 3 different challenges.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Failboattootoot posted:

Batali isn't an iron chef anymore

He still is and from what I remember he's supposed to be back this season, though I'm thinking I read that last year.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I just can't muster any fucks about the trucks on food truck race. They make a big deal about the Italian chick's accident which cost them a whole $250 after deductibles.

Seoul Sausage is the team I guess I'm cheering for.

I don't give a poo poo about the waffle truck and I'm really surprised they're still on the show.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Jack Skeleton posted:

I just can't muster any fucks about the trucks on food truck race. They make a big deal about the Italian chick's accident which cost them a whole $250 after deductibles.

I don't give a poo poo about the waffle truck and I'm really surprised they're still on the show.

The waffle truck isn't interesting in the least. Oh you took ingredients for another recipe but used a waffle as tortilla or bread or something. How creative.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Jack Skeleton posted:

I thought this season was going to be good with the idea of them winning the food truck, but completely lost interest and took it off my DVR after two episodes. Couple of competent teams and then the rest seem to be morons, and not even in an entertaining way.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I want all the food truck people to drive off a cliff

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Me too. I miss roach coaches that sold cheap food or chips. Now food trucks only sell upscale $13 sandwiches and small Jarritos soda for like $2. Give me back my cheap corn syrup

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

I saw that on a marathon one that aired one holiday, it was utterly horrifying.

Edit: Actual awesome stuff on IC:
- When Doc Hattori challenged for the right to be an Iron Chef
- When the challenger's mentor sat in on the battle and got drunk and started physically abusing the challenger's helpers
- When an old schoolmate of one of the Iron Chef's (Sakai I think) challenges him after he returns to his old home town for his high school reunion
- Chen being challenged by his father's other apprentice
- The Ohta faction progressively bringing more and more chefs with them every time they turn up until there's a like a hundred of them marching in
- The guy who cooks by himself who sends away his helpers, when the Iron Chef notices he sends his away also so it's a one-on-one battle

So many more...

Oh god, the Ohta faction. The announcers sold their appearances like they were the goddamn Horsemen of the Apocalypse coming to lay waste to all they saw, and it was loving glorious. Even now, not having watched an episode in a while, when I see Iron Chef Japan somewhere "FUKU-SAN!" pops into my head.

sleep_is_awesome
Jan 3, 2008
no really it is

mascaria posted:

I still can't imagine what Justin's show would be like.

When I watched ONE episode with Justin's onscreen demo, all I could think about was 'Surreal Gourmet' with Bob Blumer.

I've been sifting through this thread and pissed that I didn't catch it early on so I could chime in on the Alex G hate, and the Chopped-talk.

So, I'm gonna chime in anyways:

I could never stand Alex's criticisms on Chopped because it was almost like she was TRYING to find something bad about the plate. But after I saw he failing so hard in some kitchen-stadium, christmas-themed cook-off, I just can't handle it any time she's judging. Bitch was using a potatoe-ricer to save her concept of "fluffy mashed potatoes".

And on the topic of Micheal Stone, I remember him showing up as a guest judge on some random food network show, and thinking "who the gently caress is this?", because I didn't recall ANY show of his, anything. Then all of the sudden I'm flooded with "great grains" commercials, he's the host of 2 competition shows...ugh. I can't help but think, he's only got his status because he's attractive, with a charming accent.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I find it very easy to get upset at the judging in Chopped, but I have started to try to give it the benefit of the doubt and just assume that the show is edited in such a way that the judgments seem more negative than they actually are sometimes. I've sure they spend plenty of time praising each dish, usually. Though I am sure some dishes and some judge tantrums are pretty much as is (like the dude who doesn't like raw onions near his plate.)

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ToastyPotato posted:

I find it very easy to get upset at the judging in Chopped, but I have started to try to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Don't. You can watch an entire episode in about 18 minutes if you don't buy into the editing. Oh, you left an ingredient off the plate? Goodbye. Versus sticking around and hearing how their flavors, vision, or other subjective poo poo is giving the judges a minute to think about not chopping you. Just fast forward, you will see that person walking away, and you can continue. Someone will make a napoleon for dessert and you just keep fast forwarding. You won't miss a thing.

Edit: You use two "s" because you want more. I can't spell.

osukeith161 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 20, 2012

sleep_is_awesome
Jan 3, 2008
no really it is
OH MY GOD the Napoleon thing!! I swear it was an entire month of "You could of used those ingredients to make something more creative, like a napoleon..."

Also, I wonder if there's some sort of contract you have to sign as a competitor that states you have to stand around and listen to why they chopped you. I think I'd rather walk away before they gave me their reasons. They should at least have one competitor do that for drama's sake.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

osukeith161 posted:

Don't. You can watch an entire episode in about 18 minutes if you don't buy into the editing. Oh, you left an ingredient off the plate? Goodbye. Versus sticking around and hearing how their flavors, vision, or other subjective poo poo is giving the judges a minute to think about not chopping you. Just fast forward, you will see that person walking away, and you can continue. Someone will make a napoleon for dessert and you just just keep fast forwarding. You won't miss a thing.

Edit: You use two ss's because you want more. I can't spell.

Honestly the absurdity of the editing and the judgments contributes a non-trivial amount to my enjoyment of Chopped, because it's just so over-the-top and cornball. I still like it mostly for the cooking, but the editing / judging segments are pretty hilarious.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Jack Skeleton posted:

Yeah, I gave up watching the show. The trucks are really uninspired poo poo. Most of them can barely cook anything. Those women from Alaska don't even cook anything. They bought already-made chicken and tortillas and called it a dish. And pop tarts and whip cream as a dessert. Really?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I always feel the judges on Chopped are asked to be more dickish than they'd normally be because they know people love to hate dickish judges. If you see any of them as judges on other shows they're usually way nicer. I remember Scott Conant had another short lived show on FN and he was pretty kind when judging the people's food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm pretty sure the producers on Chopped tell the editors how many positive or negative comments they need to build their pet narrative. It's always painfully obvious that there's much more discussion that what's shown. I'd like to see an extended cut with the full judge discussion.

• Locked thread