Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
What about the other option, that Ysengrin kills Eglamore? Like "Oh, Ysengrin, you badass motherfucker, Jesus Christ."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Fried Chicken posted:

It's worth noting that in most of the folk stories, Ysengrin does end up dying, severely hurt, or otherwise end tragically.

So maybe nobody takes him, and he's doomed to an eternal cycle of living as the butt of Coyote's jokes before dying in abject humiliation, only to come back again for more torment. That'd drive any wolf-tree-myth a little bonkers.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I don't have the tools to avatarize it right now so I did this instead

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm liking this chapter so far. For some reason I had a hard time staying interested in chapters 37 and 38, even though they had some cool panels now and then.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out. It seems like the story is about to kick into high gear.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I think I'm gonna grab a Ysengrin avatar but I'm gonna wait till the end of the chapter so I can choose good text (and also so I don't buy one then see a better one the nest update)

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Fatkraken posted:

and also so I don't buy one then see a better one the next update

That is actually impossible to not do, sorry.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

I don't have the tools to avatarize it right now so I did this instead

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fatkraken posted:

I think I'm gonna grab a Ysengrin avatar but I'm gonna wait till the end of the chapter so I can choose good text (and also so I don't buy one then see a better one the nest update)

No one knows what it's like to be the bad man, to be the wolfman...behind green eyes.

Dunno why that sprung to mind after seeing that pic.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Olivia42 posted:

Oh no no no, I'm not ready for a major character death in Gunnerkrigg Court. Not yet.

Isn't Ysengrin a general; have we seen him be a General to anyone yet? Feels like way too much of a plot point to not have happen. Jimmy Jims probably cut Ysengrin from his trees or otherwise stopped him.

No matter, Ysengrin's pride and developing 'softness' is probably dead :(

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

...I'm terrible.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Just Offscreen posted:

That is actually impossible to not do, sorry.

Tell me about it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

What about the other option, that Ysengrin kills Eglamore? Like "Oh, Ysengrin, you badass motherfucker, Jesus Christ."

Yeah, Eglamore is a really fast guy with a really big sword, but there's still only so much that can do to Ysengrin.

I doubt that we'll see any major GC characters die this chapter, but it's still possible that Something Very Bad could be happening.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Those avatars are funny but seriously I just remembered to read the update and that panel is scary as gently caress. :stare:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This with the caption "Foound you~!" would be perfect. (Don't take away my Jones, avatar fairy :ohdear:)

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Nettle Soup posted:

This with the caption "Foound you~!" would be perfect. (Don't take away my Jones, avatar fairy :ohdear:)

"I was sent to kill the only one who could have stopped the Nothing. I lost her in the Swamps of Sadness. Her name...was Antimony."

derailed
Apr 3, 2004

As seen in your dreams!

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Yeah, Eglamore is a really fast guy with a really big sword, but there's still only so much that can do to Ysengrin.

Eglamore was using a regular sword during that confrontation. Who knows what'll happen if he breaks out that crazy glowing sword strapped to his back at the beginning of this chapter?

Not that I think anything awful is going to happen.

:ohdear:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

derailed posted:

Eglamore was using a regular sword during that confrontation. Who knows what'll happen if he breaks out that crazy glowing sword strapped to his back at the beginning of this chapter?

Not that I think anything awful is going to happen.

:ohdear:

Now that I look at it again, that glowing purple sword looks a fair bit like Coyote's tooth.

Huh.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

He could always aim for the head, this time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prison Warden posted:

Now that I look at it again, that glowing purple sword looks a fair bit like Coyote's tooth.

Huh.

Oh hey, you're right.

This lead me into a long wikipedia time-waste that lead me to conclude they'd both be classified as a Kopis. Tom's a sword nerd, if I recall, so I'm sure he's put thought into them.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

Dodgeball posted:

He could always aim for the head, this time.

I'm thinking that Ysengrin's head is probably protected by plot armor invisible to the naked eye. :ssh:

But really, who knows? Anything could happen in the next page or two.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

the2ndgenesis posted:

I'm thinking that Ysengrin's head is probably protected by plot armor invisible to the naked eye. :ssh:

But really, who knows? Anything could happen in the next page or two.

Well, I brought my dinosaur who eats force field dogs!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dodgeball posted:

Well, I brought my dinosaur who eats force field dogs!

NOoooooo, because the force-field dog's pet fox possessed your dinosaur and killed him!

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
I sure hope nothing serious happens to Ysengrin. I wanted Annie to learn some humility, not watch a friend die or get maimed in front of her. Less than 4 hours until we find out what happens.

We have no clue if Surma had any interaction with Ysengrin right? That panel where Elgamore yells "Surma" made me wonder if they had any.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Considering Surma was the Court medium, it would've been weird for her to not have any interaction with Ysengrin. Especially considering he was probably less crazy back then.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
We have liftoff.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Good choice, Jimmy-jims.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well. Tom certainly responded to that question. That's good, I didn't want to see Ysengrin dead at all.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Interesting. The teleport symbol and sound effects are the same used by Brinnie back in Chapter 22.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Haha, I love Annie's face on panel 3. "Buh- large dude!".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Somehow I get the feeling that Jimmy Jims is feeling a little smug right now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can Eglamore literally loving fly?

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Tollymain posted:

No. Jump Good.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
He's falling... with style!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wili posted:

Haha, I love Annie's face on panel 3. "Buh- large dude!".

That was pretty much the face I made seeing that comic.

Tollymain posted:

No but he can literally loving teleport, apparently.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He just does a lot of squats every day. Pays off in situations like these.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarkCrawler posted:

No but he can literally loving teleport, apparently.

I was being kind of half-ironic in my statement, but that is definitely some serious air the man caught. As for the teleportation, I think that was more of an etheric predetermined effect or something that was tied to the stick-thing and targeted to him, not any innate ability of his own.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Aww, nobody got their head's chopped. I'm boycotting this comic.

And yes, that's the same valknut Brinnie drew.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Tollymain posted:

As for the teleportation, I think that was more of an etheric predetermined effect or something that was tied to the stick-thing and targeted to him, not any innate ability of his own.

That could've been quite embarassing if he was in the bathroom, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spikey posted:

No. Jump Good.

Over, say, some fairly sizable edifices? While wearing a red Cape even. :haw: