Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Context: Rorus Raz posted this in the Political Cartoons Thread as a parody of Michael Ramirez's stupid tendency to label disasters as things he doesn't like. Two days later, Ramirez published this:

Here's Ramirez terrified of Iran's nuclear program back when Dick Cheney's hunting accident was in the news:

Michael Ramirez is a loving hack and has always been a loving hack.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Amused to Death posted:

For more content, Rinehart who is now the world's richest woman, has recently said poor people are poor because they're lazy drunks.
In her defense, she was talking about Australian poor people. Lazy drunks make up the majority of the population at every income level.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Haha what the Christ I'm Brazilian and growing up havaianas were like 10 bucks at the corner store. Now even we buy the knock-offs, because really, they're literally just two attachable rubber pieces running 40 R$ easily.

For some content

"You can take the fatigues off now pops, the war's been over for decades"
"Did we kill all the communists?"
"Better than that: We bought'em"

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chamale posted:

Michael Ramirez is a loving hack and has always been a loving hack.

He's the biggest hack of them all, he just draws big ships or planes and then labels them DEBT or CONGRESS. I can't believe what it takes to win a Pulitzer for Political Cartoons, and a good 95% of cartoonists in the US are right-wing shills.

Compare this garbage with Bell or Rowson from the British cartoon thread, and it's an indictment of how smutty and lowbrow the American media has become:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2012/08/29/police-throng-tampa-with-gop-convention-in-town
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h89jEgGJaLqGw2SrPJWgeH1ota-A?docId=d6633296b2a749b0be0cac4e08079350

quote:

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — They seem to be on every street corner. Police officers riding bicycles, horses and golf carts that look like baby Humvees. Metal barricades surround all of Tampa's government buildings. State police, FBI, the Secret Service — some in riot gear — throng the city's streets surrounding the Republican National Convention.

The American Civil Liberties Union expressed concern about Tampa's ban of poles, posts and rope from the so-called "event zone." The items can be used to hang banners, prop up signs and make puppets (mostly protesters have used hand and sock puppets, but larger ones are made of papier mache and held together with planks or 2 X 4s).

"Some of these restrictions make sense from a security standpoint," said Baylor Johnson, a spokesman for the Florida ACLU. "But who are you keeping safe by telling someone they can't bring in a puppet?"

During some of the actual protests, the number of law enforcement officers has rivaled the number of demonstrators.

Even some of the Republicans in town are shocked.

"It does feel kind of, how shall I put it, a little claustrophobic," said Andrew Richner, 20, from Detroit, whose father is a Michigan delegate. "We're all closed in."

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

emfive posted:

[edit] goddamnit I did attach an image

hold on ... oh there it is

source

Spirit Tree posted:

Also can we make it a megarule of the thread that if you've just posted a picture of a statue or linked to a google maps picture of a Gujarati town, you have to give some actual context instead of assuming people are loving psychic or know everything you do?

You're looking at a ship breaking site in Alang, India. Ships are broken up for scrap by literally just running them up on a beach and having workers cut pieces of them off with rather primitive tools. Working with this kind of stuff is (of course) extremely risky, and there aren't exactly any procedures for collecting any dangerous waste, bunker oil or anything like that. Just another one of western consumerism's many back yards.

A documentary about Alang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGDZiWwF_V0

Some impressive footage from a similar site in Pakistan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRJYgNc_TNc

Related picture:

It's the tanker formerly known as Exxon Valdez, waiting to be broken up at Alang.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 31, 2012

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Spirit Tree posted:

Also can we make it a megarule of the thread that if you've just posted a picture of a statue or linked to a google maps picture of a Gujarati town, you have to give some actual context instead of assuming people are loving psychic or know everything you do?

Here's a picture of an unspoiled ocean paradise* for comparison, maybe you will see what they wanted you to see in the first image:

*: that we nuked the poo poo out of

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Labor Day Weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDd64suDz1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeQeHstrsc

taupoke
Apr 26, 2008

by T. Finninho

That is one impressive rooster the president is sporting.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

1913 Massacre - Woody Guthrie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNR9nZn5XNQ

Describes the Christmas Day Massacre where the union held a Christmas party for copper miners in Calumet Michigan in 1913. Someone did yell fire which caused the panic and stampede to get out of the building. Whether the copper mine bosses were involved is uncertain but it did take the heart out of any organizing unions in Michigan copper country.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Is the teleprompter behind him lording over that old veteran? I really love this guy's stuff.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That would produce a really nice bruise.

Afghan National Police during their graduation ceremony.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Monk beat bloody for showing up to a nonviolent protest in China.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

He's the biggest hack of them all, he just draws big ships or planes and then labels them DEBT or CONGRESS. I can't believe what it takes to win a Pulitzer for Political Cartoons, and a good 95% of cartoonists in the US are right-wing shills.

Compare this garbage with Bell or Rowson from the British cartoon thread, and it's an indictment of how smutty and lowbrow the American media has become:

Reminder that whenever Bell or Rowson are posted in the Polititoons thread people start bitching about how either they don't get it and it needs labels (usually after bitching about how American cartoons are full of labels :ironicat:) or complaining about the art style so I guess they're not the cartoons you want but the cartoons you deserve.

Also to be honest without the scare factor of LF the polititoons thread is full of GBS rejects running tired LF memes like Pants On The Ground donkey or Groverhaus into the ground and posting page after page of "ugh gently caress Muir/Rall/Lester/Ramirez he's such a bad cartoonist"

az
Dec 2, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

Reminder that whenever Bell or Rowson are posted in the Polititoons thread people start bitching about how either they don't get it and it needs labels (usually after bitching about how American cartoons are full of labels :ironicat:) or complaining about the art style so I guess they're not the cartoons you want but the cartoons you deserve.

People bitching about Rowsons and Bells in the cartoon thread for being too weird and not having labels was loving shameful.

Mens clothing store in India.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I wonder how they'd react to Ralph Steadman.

I love the naked putrescence of British comic art.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Why is America's labour day in september?

This is a campaign ad by the extreme-right Flemish-nationalist party Vlaams Belang. On it, you can see Saïd I., robber, who is told in clear terms 'Out! No excuses!'. There are several more of these ads, with more foreign-looking people with foreign-sounding names committing all kinds of crimes. (though to be fair, there's also a child-rapist with a Flemish name, so... there's that) VB has three selling points: racism, Flemish-nationalism and fascism (tough on crime!). Unfortunately for them, N-VA is doing much better on the Flemish-nationalism front, so they decided to double down on racism and fascism. This is the result.

Alas, the campaign went awry when people horribly misinterpreted the otherwise hate-free campaign. In the past few weeks, strung up puppets have been appearing in Antwerp, each with a sign with a name from the VB campaign on them. Shocked and dismayed, VB is now suing the unknown puppet-murderers for doing something they would themselves never ever dream of.

Totally unrelated:

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Forums Terrorist posted:

I wonder how they'd react to Ralph Steadman.

I love the naked putrescence of British comic art.

Someone posted some Steadman cartoons in that thread and I think like almost every reply was ":stare:" Yeah, the reaction to the brittoons in that thread were just embarrassing as gently caress. I know next to nothing about british politics and culture and even I could understand them.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Fluoride Jones posted:

Someone posted some Steadman cartoons in that thread and I think like almost every reply was ":stare:" Yeah, the reaction to the brittoons in that thread were just embarrassing as gently caress. I know next to nothing about british politics and culture and even I could understand them.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 31, 2012

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

R. Mute posted:

Because the actual Labour Day is "Loyality Day" in America to prevent the nation from being infected by Communism.

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suVB3YGIUk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILrmI8C1Wb4

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 31, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Also to be honest without the scare factor of LF the polititoons thread is full of GBS rejects running tired LF memes like Pants On The Ground donkey or Groverhaus into the ground and posting page after page of "ugh gently caress Muir/Rall/Lester/Ramirez he's such a bad cartoonist"
I stopped reading the cartoons thread after years and years because it was getting way too far into just making fun of wacky obscure right-wing nutjobs. As in it was way more and more about "cartoons" you'd only find on someone's blog and less about stuff you'd see on an actual editorial page in print. For example, I started skipping the posts about DBD, but I realized after a little bit that that was a huge part of the thread. I miss my toons though, has the discussion changed at all?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Not really, it's mostly going in circles about the same lovely cartoons like Ramirez and DbD. It's enjoyable if you skip the conversations and boring cartoons and look for the downright offensive and ridiculous stuff.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

cheerfullydrab posted:

I stopped reading the cartoons thread after years and years because it was getting way too far into just making fun of wacky obscure right-wing nutjobs. As in it was way more and more about "cartoons" you'd only find on someone's blog and less about stuff you'd see on an actual editorial page in print. For example, I started skipping the posts about DBD, but I realized after a little bit that that was a huge part of the thread. I miss my toons though, has the discussion changed at all?

No, not really.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

It's funny because when ever I posted a handful I'd get so much hate. Also they somehow said they were bad artists (hand drawn / water colours), generally I'd just get "BLURGH IDK IT DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH LABELS".

I seriously had people in the last polititoons thread complain about how these were not "politicial" but "pee pee poo poo he is bad president".

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I like Bell and Rowson. I almost always get what their cartoons are about.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

R. Mute posted:

This is a campaign ad by the extreme-right Flemish-nationalist party Vlaams Belang. On it, you can see Saïd I., robber, who is told in clear terms 'Out! No excuses!'. There are several more of these ads, with more foreign-looking people with foreign-sounding names committing all kinds of crimes. (though to be fair, there's also a child-rapist with a Flemish name, so... there's that) VB has three selling points: racism, Flemish-nationalism and fascism (tough on crime!). Unfortunately for them, N-VA is doing much better on the Flemish-nationalism front, so they decided to double down on racism and fascism. This is the result.

Alas, the campaign went awry when people horribly misinterpreted the otherwise hate-free campaign. In the past few weeks, strung up puppets have been appearing in Antwerp, each with a sign with a name from the VB campaign on them. Shocked and dismayed, VB is now suing the unknown puppet-murderers for doing something they would themselves never ever dream of.

Totally unrelated:

Oh God, the VB :gonk: My dad ran for the senate under the Vlaams Blok list in the late eighties and is personal friends with Filip DeWinter. I am so goddamn grateful that he fled Belgium due to credit card debt before I was old enough to be forced into going to their youth rallies.

(Vlaams Belang shock with pork sausages)

This is a "fun" story. To protest a muslim school, Vlaams Belang held a barbecue outside the gates of said school, where it was exclusively pork meat. They did this during a fun day for the students which involved a halal barbecue.

That's bad enough, but some members of the party then proceeded to trespass on the school grounds and lob pork at the children (All primary age, so 4-11 years old).

The leadership of the party called it a legitimate protest and claimed they had done nothing wrong. Why on earth the supreme court hasn't labelled them as racists again I do not know.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I have never heard someone actually call labor day loyalty day. May 1 is cool too.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Fluo posted:

It's funny because when ever I posted a handful I'd get so much hate. Also they somehow said they were bad artists (hand drawn / water colours), generally I'd just get "BLURGH IDK IT DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH LABELS".

I seriously had people in the last polititoons thread complain about how these were not "politicial" but "pee pee poo poo he is bad president".

Did you try Riddell? He seems more the speed of that thread.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I see what you did there. :allears:

Anyway, does anyone have that gif of Netayahu doing a slam dunk with the flashing words "KILL BROWNS"?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Fluoride Jones posted:

Did you try Riddell? He seems more the speed of that thread.

Yeah, they love the odd one [Which tend to be American-Centric], but the others were either "BLURGH LABELS" or "I Don't Get It". I agree on the labels on Riddell as alot of the time they are unneeded. However you can't complain that something hasn't got enough then when some has complain they are there.

Labels ruin these, however when there isn't labels the haters gonna hate group will complain.

I guess some people will complain about anything just to complain.

Riddell is a good artist but destroys alot of it by over labelling or over explaining his joke!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPRqmMsKYI

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 31, 2012

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

I liked the brittoons. Except the one guy who would post the huge sets of super-low-resolution ones, so they'd all end up merging into one big brownish-yellow smudge, that was pretty annoying. That's probably just my bad eyesight, though.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I liked the brittoons. Except the one guy who would post the huge sets of super-low-resolution ones, so they'd all end up merging into one big brownish-yellow smudge, that was pretty annoying. That's probably just my bad eyesight, though.
I posted huge sets as I got requested to make a handful of posts on one country (EG France) to sum the countries up but they weren't super low resolution ones. I don't know who that is.

Was it the daily mail cartoons or the telegraph ones?

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 31, 2012

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqfz4-sMgak

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
People didn't mind the Bell and Rowson cartoons when they were understandable but when its something like this:

and the poster just drops it with no explanation as to what it means, its not unreasonable for an American-centric site to be confused. Additionally, Rowson in particular has a really detailed and dense art style that relies heavily on symbols that only makes sense to Brits and turns everyone into repulsive goblins. His cartoons are really hard to look at some times.

Non-cartoon chat:

See, they totally need those APC's guys.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

1stGear posted:

People didn't mind the Bell and Rowson cartoons when they were understandable but when its something like this:

and the poster just drops it with no explanation as to what it means, its not unreasonable for an American-centric site to be confused. Additionally, Rowson in particular has a really detailed and dense art style that relies heavily on symbols that only makes sense to Brits and turns everyone into repulsive goblins. His cartoons are really hard to look at some times.

Non-cartoon chat:

See, they totally need those APC's guys.

Pretty sure the symbols don't only makes sense to Brits. Alot of the ones people didn't 'get' were because it was based on famous paintings etc. So if you know the painting you know the cartoon.

Eg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raft_of_the_Medusa

http://youtu.be/anvRFJFUnRE?t=1m5s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropping_the_Pilot

Also the last time I left explanation I got probated. (It was the Alice in Wonderland / Leveson one).

I don't know, just didn't think I'd have to explain an American based Steve Bell cartoon to Americans?

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Labor Day is coming up, so let's get some William Jennings Bryan in here and some sweet Cross of Gold action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeTkT5-w5RA

For non Americans, or non history people, the Cross of Gold speech is one of the most famous speeches in American history, lambasting the gold standard and demanding bimetalism so silver money could come into the economy and cause inflation, making debts easier to pay off for farmers and workers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Gold_speech

• Locked thread