Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

CheechLizard posted:

Dredd began development before The Raid and post production meant it ended up released afterwards.
The Raid is literally Dredd.

Given that The Raid was loving awesome and I meant that as a compliment to Dredd, I'd say it barely matters. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The difference between The Raid and this movie is that this movie is likely to have 5,000% more LAW.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Drudge catches early screening of DREDD, writes review.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo, I thought the links were just fake, but it turns out they're Dredd-itized news items of current events.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Gonz posted:

The difference between The Raid and this movie is that this movie is likely to have 5,000% more LAW.

Yes, but will it have death via busted door/throat interface?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought the links were just fake, but it turns out they're Dredd-itized news items of current events.

And most of them are quite amusing/unsettling when you follow the links to their real counterparts. I really hope the film has the same parallel satire/commentary on current society, especially the drug war stuff (even if it's just in the background behind the dispensing of LAAAAAAAAAH).

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 30, 2012

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

McSpanky posted:

And most of them are quite amusing/unsettling when you follow the links to their real counterparts. I really hope the film has the same parallel satire/commentary on current society, especially the drug war stuff (even if it's just in the background behind the dispensing of LAAAAAAAAAH).
My favourite little bit from that Dredd Report page was the news ticker that flashed up something like: 09:52 - homeless man found stabbed, Judges provide medical assistance. 09:53 - homeless man sentenced for vagrancy, sent to iso-cubes. That's exactly the kind of heartless bastardry the comic is all about.

Also spoof adverts like this:

Whenever I see someone eating a Bounty bar, the first thing I always think is "They came in search of paradise... they found LANDMINES!"

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."
I'd be surprised if the ads weren't by Alan Moore who worked on 2000AD back in the day. Some of his Future Shocks were in this line too. First and last page of "The Wages of Sin" by Moore as an example:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
No, that was John Wagner's 'The Judge Child' in 1980; Alan Moore didn't really kick off with 2000AD until the following year. Weirdly, Moore's actually one of the few major British comics writers who hasn’t written Judge Dredd at some point. (Although he did apparently do a spec Dredd script that impressed Wagner enough to persuade Tharg to give him regular work.)

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."
Thanks for the correction. It is so odd he never wrote Dredd when he did so much other stuff for them including The Ballad of Halo Jones. I admit I was never a regular reader of 2000AD, mind. Despite it being in retrospect pretty drat progressive with their featuring strong women characters, there was always something a bit too blokeish about its image. Looking back, I missed out and I'm cautiously very optimistic about the new film. On the other hand, at least I had Mandy comic for girls, featuring stuff like the adventures of Valda the thousand year old gymnast who needed regular access to a crystal held up to sunlight to stop herself crumbling into dust. Valda ruled, even if these days her crystal would probably count as a PED.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I don't know if I want to hear Moore complain about people using his ideas though, happens any time they're been adapted.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'm cautiously optimistic despite having 30 years of history with the comic. The uniform, including the helmet looks good. I can see where the "looks too big" complaint started from, but to me it looks like a riot helmet with stylized visor. Trailer also has a consistent look all over, with every piece of equipment having this slightly overblown but not ridiculous look. Lawgiver looks like modernized Jatimatic, kneepads and eagle on shoulder are sleek and so on.

One of the big things of the comic, looking back, is that it echoes the times. Unlike Spider-Man who is eternally stuck fighting Doc Ock, Dredd faces new threats, situations and problems over time. Back in 80's when nuclear war was still a credible threat Dredd had Apocalypse war, a nuclear war between two cities. In nineties with collapse of the Berlin Wall, the issue was democracy. In 2000's it was globalization via letting mutants into the city.

Following this tradition I would have liked a movie with current themes, such as War on Terror Democracy or something similar. Still, it's better to get something akin to good short story than a bad mega-epic. Maybe in the next movie?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Following this tradition I would have liked a movie with current themes, such as War on Terror Democracy or something similar. Still, it's better to get something akin to good short story than a bad mega-epic. Maybe in the next movie?

The War on Drugs and subsequent militarization of the police are hugely relevant right now. Pretty sure it's not an accident that the redesign the Judge's uniform resulted in a look reminiscent of modern paramilitary anti-drug task forces, and that they're solving the drug problem with prohibition and smashing users' faces in instead of attempting to address the societal issues which lead people to turn to highly addictive mind-altering substances to escape their hopeless, impoverished lives in the first place.

That said, I kinda hope you're right and any sequels continue with the modern satire themes instead of going into the really weird poo poo like Judge Death. Unless they use Death as a metaphor for corrupt privatization of prisons or something.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 31, 2012

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
They'd have to ramp up to something like Judge Death; if the first movie is about Dredd fighting a drug lord in a horrible future dystopia, it would be a pretty big shift of gears to go straight to 'undead superfiend from a parallel dimension' in the second.

I suppose that since they're going with Anderson's psi-powers being a mutation (which is actually a pretty good explanation that I don't think ever came up in the comic; Psi-Division just appeared out of nowhere as if it had been there all along), that opens the door for them to build up the crazy in manageable stages if they did something like 'The Cursed Earth' or 'The Judge Child' in a second film, both of which are full of weird but not quite supernatural stuff (except for Murd the Oppressor).

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

The War on Drugs and subsequent militarization of the police are hugely relevant right now.

Fair enough. It's a matter of perspective I guess, what with the major rise of conservatism and outright fascism in Europe currently.

Death must be the worst-handled character in all of the comic. It started as a simple joke of "what if the Judges were even more extreme" and went to hell somewhere along the fourth story or so. The whole motif of "just like us!" has been forgotten decades ago. Shame, I liked the second Death story ever very much. Even if you drop all the crap that has accumulated along the years, the character doesn't make much sense unless you have a decent idea of what the Judge system is about.

If there's one big story that would make an awesome movie it's The Day the Law Died. It's relatively early in the comics history so it doesn't feature a million vital side characters. The story is essentially a grotesque parody of emperor Caligulas reign, placed in the year 2100. Vain, insane tyrant within a system that is already a hairsbreadth away from becoming full-fledged dictatorship? What could go wrong? Now if they only could buff up Steve Buscemi for his role as Fergee...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The already said that if this one does okay the next one would be Cursed Earth then the third and last one would be Judge Death.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess Cursed Earth is pretty easy to turn into a movie, since it's a bunch of different stories tied together, so they can just drop any of the really stupid stuff.

I'm going to guess that if they get to make the movie, there won't be any dinosaurs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrBling posted:

I guess Cursed Earth is pretty easy to turn into a movie, since it's a bunch of different stories tied together, so they can just drop any of the really stupid stuff.

I'm going to guess that if they get to make the movie, there won't be any dinosaurs.

Or Ronald McDonald :(

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hob_Gadling posted:

Death must be the worst-handled character in all of the comic. It started as a simple joke of "what if the Judges were even more extreme" and went to hell somewhere along the fourth story or so. The whole motif of "just like us!" has been forgotten decades ago. Shame, I liked the second Death story ever very much. Even if you drop all the crap that has accumulated along the years, the character doesn't make much sense unless you have a decent idea of what the Judge system is about.
Yeah, the Dark Judges in general have been fairly badly treated - they started out actually creepy and scary (Bolland's art on 'Judge Death Lives' is magnificent), but it didn't take too many appearances before they became joke figures, admittedly mass-murderous ones, cracking out one-liners before Dredd or Anderson found new ways to banish/trap them. 'Necropolis' was probably the last time they were portrayed as a genuine threat. Right now, I think Death is wandering around Nevada having nuked Las Vegas, and the other three are trapped in jars on PJ Maybe's mantlepiece.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They better have old one eye in a Cursed Earth movie! And also President whatshisname, the guy that started world war three, he'd have to be included. Meeting him after spending the whole movie seeing the radioactive wasteland he created would be pretty great.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

marktheando posted:

And also President whatshisname, the guy that started world war three, he'd have to be included. Meeting him after spending the whole movie seeing the radioactive wasteland he created would be pretty great.
President Booth (yep, naming the final president of the United States after a presidential assassin was quite deliberate).

Who would they have as the fifth face on Mount Rushmore, though? The Jimmy Carter joke probably wouldn't work as well today...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Payndz posted:

President Booth (yep, naming the final president of the United States after a presidential assassin was quite deliberate).

Oh yeah! It's been a long while since I've read the Cursed Earth, I should remedy this.

Payndz posted:

Who would they have as the fifth face on Mount Rushmore, though? The Jimmy Carter joke probably wouldn't work as well today...

Surely there is only one choice-

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Incidentally, the full score can be heard here. Some of the track names are probably spoilers, mind.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Payndz posted:

Incidentally, the full score can be heard here. Some of the track names are probably spoilers, mind.

Oh poo poo the last one looks like it is set up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Payndz posted:

..and the other three are trapped in jars on PJ Maybe's mantlepiece.

Every time I think I couldn't like him more he does something new to surprise me.

Deathroller
May 10, 2008

MrBling posted:

Alex Garland did a Q&A on the 2000ad forum (Here, it's a good read) where he seemed keen on including Satanus, but also seemed to rule out his involvement in any sequel.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Hob_Gadling posted:

Trailer also has a consistent look all over, with every piece of equipment having this slightly overblown but not ridiculous look. Lawgiver looks like modernized Jatimatic, kneepads and eagle on shoulder are sleek and so on.

And not a million miles away from Carlos Ezquerra's designs in the early days. Huge-rear end shoulderpads never made much sense (I believe the big forehead badge is a respirator, though)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Are you guys forgetting that there is already a Cursed Earth movie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVe7p5N62ug

Hob_Gadling posted:

If there's one big story that would make an awesome movie it's The Day the Law Died. It's relatively early in the comics history so it doesn't feature a million vital side characters. The story is essentially a grotesque parody of emperor Caligulas reign, placed in the year 2100. Vain, insane tyrant within a system that is already a hairsbreadth away from becoming full-fledged dictatorship? What could go wrong? Now if they only could buff up Steve Buscemi for his role as Fergee...

Oh god, I don't think I could handle Fox News calling it a metaphor for the Obama administration.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Looking forward to this movie, never really cared for Judge Dredd, but this looks pretty fun.

Coincidently, I was walking my dog in the field near my house and found a couple of old 2000AD progs from 1984; don't know why someone would leave them there, maybe it's a sign :tinfoil:.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
Up to 19 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes now, all fresh so far:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Also someone made this, it's hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgZrtoQ40Jw

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

marktheando posted:

Surely there is only one choice-

Isn't Bush a little passé? Reagan on the other hand has staying power!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

GeneralZod posted:

Up to 19 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes now, all fresh so far:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

Now upto 24 reviews, all fresh including the Guardian who are really picky when it comes to comic book movies. Its released in the UK today, so expect a few reviews later.

Also the FT review -

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/046d5296-...t#axzz25iST7KY9

paints it almost as the second coming of cinematic Christ.

ukle fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 7, 2012

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
gently caress. YES. They got it right! :dance:

Is it perfect? Nope. The action is some way short of the edge-of-the-seat kineticism of something like the Bourne movies or even an early Michael Bay flick. It's not bad, but it never quite gets to the stage of pulling you along with it; more that you're slightly ahead and waving for it to catch up. The relatively low budget shows too - even for a story that by design uses effectively one location over and over, you know that you're looking at the same corridor and the same balcony the whole time.

That said, I really enjoyed it. It's definitely got an Eighties exploitation actioner feel, and I mean that as a compliment. It's pared-down, gets straight to the point and once it's set up its world it goes all the way with it. And it's such a relief to see a comic-book movie that doesn't go on for three loving hours and have a third act consisting entirely of collapsing skyscrapers and CGI flying through explosions.

Urban pretty much nails Dredd - he's doing him as Dirty Harry Of The Future, which was how the character was intended in the first place. He takes no poo poo, delivers the occasional grim (but usually successful) one-liner, and kills a lot of people with maximum force. Which is really all you need from Judge Dredd. He's a hard man in a horrible world, and this is what he does. Deal with it. (The shot of him dispassionately watching a gang of screaming perps burning to death in a hail of white phosphorus while the flames reflect in his visor is as iconic an image of him as you could get.)

It's Thirlby who gets the bulk of the character work, and she did a really good job with it. Anderson's very human and reacts as such to some of the horrible stuff she encounters, but at the same time she's also trained as a Judge and acts accordingly. The moment when she executes a wounded perp is one of those cases of the film following through on its premise because you think "no, she's too nice to do that - whoa, gently caress! She did it!" - and then a few scenes later there's the darkest scene in the film, when she learns the full implications of what she's done. But she keeps it to herself even though she's obviously horrified - she's got a job to do. It's a strong performance that gets the most out of a deliberately lean script.

The 3D... well, it didn't add much. The Slo-Mo scenes are where it really stands out, but in my cinema the 'frame-breaking' effects from one of the trailers were barely noticeable because the projectionist had blown up the image so it practically filled the screen - making the gimmick pointless. Cheers for that! Everything also seemed 'soft', which again was probably a projection issue. That said, Lena Headey falling face-first into the camera so that her head explodes in slow-motion like a bloody flower was almost beautiful, in a seriously hosed-up way.

There were details that as a long-term fan of the comics kind of ground my gears, but ultimately I had to accept what superhero fans have had to ever since Tim Burton's Batman movies - things change. When Dredd and Anderson finally got radio communication and called for help, I was still in the mindset that a dozen H-Wagons and Mantas should have been there within five minutes, whereas here two guys stroll up and knock on the door. But this isn't the comic's Mega-City One with an all-powerful Justice Department that rules like a military dictatorship. This is Future Soweto and the cops don't even get replacement helmets when they get banged up. Besides, they threw in a ton of background references for the comics nerds like me anyway. Just off the top of my head I can remember Chopper, Kenny Who? and the Judge Child ('Khrysler's Mark'), and there were probably a ton more.

So yeah, that's a lot of words to say that while it's not a 5-star film, it still kicked rear end. :toot:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
That effect of stuff flying out of the frame was only noticeable on one occasion. The film is in the 2.35:1 ratio and there was one notable shot where they basically faked a 2.40:1 ratio in order to pull off that effect. It would actually work better in 2-D because the splatter leaves the bottom of the screen rather than coming toward you and exceeding the frame that way.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 7, 2012

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Professor Clumsy posted:

That effect of stuff flying out of the frame was only noticeable on one occasion. The film is in the 2.35:1 ratio and there was one notable shot where they basically faked a 2.40:1 ratio in order to pull off that effect. It would actually work better in 2-D because the splatter leaves the bottom of the screen rather than coming toward you and exceedingt the frame that way.
Yeah, the 3D added basically nothing... except £1.50 or so to the ticket price, and that was with my own 3D glasses. Just shy of ten quid to see a movie, and not even in London! 2D only unless there isn't the option from now on, I think.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Just got back from seeing this.

I'm not much of a reviewer, subtext goes right over my head so don't expect more than some superficial impressions with no attempt at further analysis. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

MEGA MEGA SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

Right so. I'm not enormously familiar with Dredd as a character having not read any of the original 2000AD stories, but there's a certain amount you pick up from being a SF nerd in the UK. From what little I know this is a much MUCH more faithful depiction of the character as originally envisiged than the stallone film. One, mask stays on. Two, he's thoroughly competent, utterly unwavering and ruthlessly efficient.

The setting and scale was also far more appropriate. Rather than Dredd being involved in some city wide crisis, it's just another day at the office. It gets sticky, for sure, but it's not presented as anything particularly out of the ordinary. Bar a few minutes at the beginning to introduce the characters, the entire film takes place in a single 200 storey towerblock, a megastructure called "peachtree" housing 75,000 people and controlled by one extremely powerful drug gang.

Most of the film follows Dredd and trainee Judge Anderson (a young woman with psychic powers who has been pushed through the Judge training program) as they play a tense game of cat and mouse with the gang in the locked down towerblock.

The film is very bloody and spectacularly violent. It's a hard 18, fairly rare for an action film these days. There's some incredible ultra slow motion which is used both to provide a bit of beauty and respite from the grimness, and to accentuate the violence (we see faces being torn to pieces filmed at hundreds of fps, bullets ripping through bodies and all manner of gory deaths).

There's a real feeling of life and grim vitality in the towerblock. The design and set dressing is fantastic, everything looks dilapidated and run down, but also lived in, from tatty plastic curtains covering grimy windows to the slap dash bazaar in the block's main atrium.

While Dredd is certainly the soul of the film, you could say Anderson is it's heart. Dredd is a stone cold bastard (albeit devoted to an extreme brand of justice), while Anderson still seems to have feelings. That's not to say she's some shrinking violet, after a difficult first execution she's soon happily popping dudes left and right, and though captured at one point she escapes without needing to be rescued. The psychic mind invasion scenes are also very effective (there's some nice use of weirdly distorted 3D in these too). She's also used as a device to help sketch in parts of the world for the audience; as a trainee on her first day she's under close examination and is constantly being tested, her answers to questions about sentencing and laws gives us a feel for how Megacity 1 operates without having it thrown in our face.

Visually it's great, as I said the sets feel extremely authentic and the long shots of the city and the towerblock give a great sense of scale, the ultra slow motion is spectacularly beautiful and brutal by turns (there's an in-universe reason for the slow-mo too, the drug being made by the gang massively speeds up perception so the world appears to move in slow motion). The judges costumes are a little goofy when placed among the very naturalistic dress style of the tower dwellers and sets, but they're certainly toned down from the comic in colour and style and it's easy enough to get past and gives the judges a distinctive visual feel.

The film provides action, tension and payoffs in quick succession and neither drags nor feels rushed despite clocking in at a brisk 96 minutes. There's a good deal of dark humour too in the dialogue and the gloriously OTT violence.

Overall a great rehabilitation for a character with a poor hollywood history, and a great return to the hard-R action movies we've been missing

Non spoiler impressions: visually engaging, tense, exciting, brutally violent, and doesn't try to add unnecessary layers to what is and should be a very straightforward character

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So far, so good. Excited for this now! :)

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
"FREEZE!"

"...Why?"

The film itself definitely has a lot more humour to it than we've been led to believe. It's not as outrageously funny as the comic, but it retains some of its silliness and manages to get some laughs. There are points where you feel like you either have to laugh at Dredd's murderous antics or be horrified by them.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Professor Clumsy posted:

"FREEZE!"

"...Why?"

The film itself definitely has a lot more humour to it than we've been led to believe. It's not as outrageously funny as the comic, but it retains some of its silliness and manages to get some laughs. There are points where you feel like you either have to laugh at Dredd's murderous antics or be horrified by them.
My favourite moment of deadly black humour was when Dredd was out of ammo and shouting all the different munitions at his gun to see if there were any left.

"Incendiary!"
[boop]
"Armour-piercing!"
[boop]
"Heatseeker!"
[boop]
"Hi-ex!"
[bing!]
EXPLODING loving HEAD!
:haw:

I was also pleased they didn't wimp out with the Lawgiver's defence mechanism like in the Stallone film. No puny taser shock here, it explodes and blows your entire hand off, as it should.

• Locked thread