Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I thought that was what the rust was for.

Nature's Loctite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The dual plug 4 cylinder 2.3 litre was gutless, but they ran forever. Good motor, just didn't breathe well.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I think we're heading out to the desert this weekend, initial plan is to rent 2 sand cars/buggies down in Ocotillo region, but might just take the hummers. I was hoping the temperatures was going to be like last week, around 90F but it looks like it's going to be around 110F instead...

Trying to avoid Imperial dunes, that place is going to be a total zoo this weekend...

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jonathan posted:

The dual plug 4 cylinder 2.3 litre was gutless, but they ran forever. Good motor, just didn't breathe well.

In a regular cab with 2wd and the m5od trans, they moved just fine. Granted, my ranger weighed about 2350lbs...

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I got my first (and only) speeding ticket in a little 2.3 2wd ranger, doing 90 in a 55. I was going downhill.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

In a regular cab with 2wd and the m5od trans, they moved just fine. Granted, my ranger weighed about 2350lbs...

That was my setup, but not my recollection in regards to moving just fine. I still loved the hell out of that truck and wish I never sold it.

Maybe I was spoiled by driving a '74 F250 with a 390 in it. Goddam bare bones, but enough torque to pull a house off its foundation.....at 8 MPG....with your fuel gauge being how much sloshing you hear in the tank behind the bench seat in the cab. I'm sure that was totally safe.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

If you're not making any major changes such as going spring-over or doing away with leaf springs entirely, I'd either use a "bolt upwards" clamp design, or a spring plate skid like this:

That's probably something like what I'll do, though I may surround the bolt holes with sched40 pipe for just a little more crush resistance and more importantly to keep mud and saltwater from collecting inside the perch.

I've also been considering a U-bolt eliminator setup, which would leave just bolt heads facing downward if done right.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

I'd hate to see how mine would move with a 2.3, I scaled it last week at 4800lb.
If ford were thinking, they'd have found a way to shoehorn that new 3.7 from the mustang in, and maybe even find more than 20MPG doing it. Call it a F-100 and they wouldn't worry about stealing sales from the F-series, either. I love mine to death, and it's the only newer truck with a bed that'll fit the jeep trails here, or I'd have traded to an F-150 by now for the mileage and power alone.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Very interested in getting a 4x4. Preferably something I can attach/carry my motorcycle in. (drz400sm)

My family owned a dodge truck for a long time. I also owned a Honda cr-v for about 5 years which I loved and still regret selling.

I think I would prefer something like a land rover so long as I can attach my motorcycle to the back...

Anyways, the reason I'm posting is just asking if there's a good newbie's guide to 4x4 cars in general and whats involved in owning one and all that?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Get these books, they will cover everything and I totally recommend them to anyone who wheels, lots of good information.

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Wheelers...ywords=4x4+book

http://www.amazon.com/4-Wheel-Freedom-The-Off-Road-Driving/dp/0873648919/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346378137&sr=8-2&keywords=4x4+book

They go through a lot of the make and models, the differences in drive trains, AWD, 4x4, etc.

They covered all sorts of stuff, incidents ranging from cross ditches and farmers fields to avoid a tornado to recovering a flipped over vehicle, and more every day stuff :)

Where do you live exactly? UK? Or US? or elsewhere? What type of areas/terrain do you plan to drive with your bike/4x4 combo?

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 31, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

soy posted:

I think I would prefer something like a land rover

Consider this an invitation to join our support group. I hope you have a garage and tools. (it's totally worth it)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Obese Wallaby posted:

I went out on sunday with the BC Jeep Club, up to a flooded quarry and a lookout point. It was my Ranger, a stock XJ, a semi-built YJ, and a stock TJ.

The view across the quarry, the water was warm enough that I came back on monday to swim.

And then a shot from my dash, following the group up to the viewpoint. It was super dusty following an open/open cherokee up the loose, silty trail.

But it was worth it for the view from the top:

And I took a magazine shot for the XJ's owner:

He needed spotting down this obstacle, I was too long to avoid both the trees and the rock. My passengers seemed a little worried by the grinding noises from my sliders, but they hold up better than body panels do.

And then on the way down, the YJ caught his extra-long Ubolts on this little stump. The XJ couldn't pull him, so I got to pull him out and even up the score from the last time I needed a pull from a jeep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JFwmut2lVw

Where abouts in BC was this ? Ive explored pretty much everywhere in the mainland, and don't recognize that.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geared Hub posted:

They covered all sorts of stuff, incidents ranging from cross ditches and farmers fields to avoid a tornado to recovering a flipped over vehicle, and more every day stuff :)

Where do you live exactly? UK? Or US? or elsewhere? What type of areas/terrain do you plan to drive with your bike/4x4 combo?

Awesome, exactly what I'm looking for.

I live in California, so mostly deserts, mountains, possibly some beaches, forests like the redwoods. Really it doesn't have to be a hardcore rock climbing machine, rather a very utilitarian vehicle that I'll use to commute when weather sucks for motorcycle, but also for going on fire roads into BLM land and generally visiting semi-distant national parks and such for camping. It would be nice if it's suited for long highway trips as getting to parks and whatnot from Los Angeles means driving pretty loving far.

I'm also a big backpacker/amateur rock climber/mountain biker and into shooting guns and whatnot so it'd be used for getting to that kinda stuff too. Oh, and being able to sleep 2-3 in the back would be a plus.

I used to take my 2003 Honda CR-V (which had AWD, not 4x4) up into the fire roads and mountains just fine, but I always wished it had the balls to really get up somewhat steep dirt inclines and not be as thrown off by dirt roads in general. (more clearance, better shocks/handling offroad, ability to drive clear cross relatively sane non-roaded areas would be nice)

Aaand, preferably mileage in the 20+ range. Maybe the car I'm describing doesn't exist yet unless you drive it on the moon.

Motronic posted:

Consider this an invitation to join our support group. I hope you have a garage and tools. (it's totally worth it)

I have a pretty decent wrench set and some other tools but I live in a condo with very limited garage space however I plan on getting a house in the next few years. I do oil changes and other light maint on my bike now, but my only car right now is a Prius which my wife basically monopolizes (don't care, motorcycle) which is nice because that car never needs anything done to it besides oil.

Really looking forward to getting a garage though, with tools.. And a beer fridge.

soy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 31, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Until you mentioned fuel economy I was going to suggest a Quigley 4x4 fullsize conversion van. Hell I might anyways, they're just plain badass.

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Gallery/FordProducts/FordProductPhotos.aspx some pictures of their Ford offerings - they also do Chevy/GMC, some including Duramax Diesel engines, unfortunately I don't believe they do any Dodge products.

Hit the "Scenarios" button then "Rocks".

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 31, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My TJ gets 18 mpg with a lift and 33" all-terrain tires. A more stock setup will probably get you better mileage. You'd have to pull a trailer to carry the bike, though.

The bigger the vehicle, the harder it is to get down trails. You mention that you don't really want to do extreme rock crawling or such, but a muddy and rutted fire road is no place for a vehicle without lockers and ground clearance.

Just my two cents, those requirements are pretty tough.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

jonathan posted:

Where abouts in BC was this ? Ive explored pretty much everywhere in the mainland, and don't recognize that.

It's near Shawnigan Lake, just north of Victoria. I'm about as close now to it (and real trails!) as I was to Triangle Beach in Richmond before I moved, and 1/3 as far away as Harrison was. There's an old quarry north of the lake, and a whole network of old dirt roads and trails nearby to get lost in.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kastein posted:

Until you mentioned fuel economy I was going to suggest a Quigley 4x4 fullsize conversion van. Hell I might anyways, they're just plain badass.

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Gallery/FordProducts/FordProductPhotos.aspx some pictures of their Ford offerings - they also do Chevy/GMC, some including Duramax Diesel engines, unfortunately I don't believe they do any Dodge products.

Those are really pretty bad rear end, the only thing that stops me from really considering it is that trying to parallel park one of those in a stupid city like LA where there's never any parking would be awful. That and gas cost, but drat... A cool concept.

I think so far the most appealing thing I've seen is a Ford Ranger... Simply because it's an easy load for the bike, they are abundant, and I can throw a camper shell on it if I need which I've seen on craigslist for like $300~

Most of the time I camp in a tent anyways, but the option is nice if I drive 200 miles at 1am and get there and it's snowing like the last time I went to Joshua tree. Although the lack of options ended up with me illegally camping in a pretty cool rock formation which worked out pretty well.

soy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 31, 2012

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

soy posted:

Those are really pretty bad rear end, the only thing that stops me from really considering it is that trying to parallel park one of those in a stupid city like LA where there's never any parking would be awful. That and gas cost, but drat... A cool concept.

I think so far the most appealing thing I've seen is a Ford Ranger... Simply because it's an easy load for the bike, they are abundant, and I can throw a camper shell on it if I need which I've seen on craigslist for like $300~

Most of the time I camp in a tent anyways, but the option is nice if I drive 200 miles at 1am and get there and it's snowing like the last time I went to Joshua tree. Although the lack of options ended up with me illegally camping in a pretty cool rock formation which worked out pretty well.

If you're willing to have an older vehicle, what about a 1st/2nd gen Toyota Surf/4runner? Solid vehicles, easy to drive onroad and capable off it. Not sure on how well the USDM models went with mileage, but shouldn't be ridiculous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4runner

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

If you're willing to have an older vehicle, what about a 1st/2nd gen Toyota Surf/4runner? Solid vehicles, easy to drive onroad and capable off it. Not sure on how well the USDM models went with mileage, but shouldn't be ridiculous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4runner

As he specifically said he wanted to carry his motorcycle in the back, I think a 4wd Tacoma/Hilux would be the better choice. At least being in California, rust is less of an issue. He should be able to find a 84-94 "Pickup" easily enough. Just avoid any pre-tacoma V6 models. 22re supremacy.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas

ACEofsnett posted:

As he specifically said he wanted to carry his motorcycle in the back, I think a 4wd Tacoma/Hilux would be the better choice. At least being in California, rust is less of an issue. He should be able to find a 84-94 "Pickup" easily enough. Just avoid any pre-tacoma V6 models. 22re supremacy.

Seeing as he mentioned looking at Land Rovers I didn't think having a wagon body was a dealbreaker, but yeah, if you prefer a ute you can't go wrong with Toyota's offerings (well only if you buy the V6).

Also 1st gen 4runners were just the Hilux with a removable canopy, I'd imagine it would be ridiculously awesome driving around with the top off and a dirtbike in the back.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure how heavy your bike is, but a classic range rover is a great long distance car with good off road capeabilities. Perhaps you could rig up some sort of platform to sit your bike on the back of it. 20mpg with a rover v8 is a little wishful though. If you could find a 300tdi one you should get near 30mpg.

I prefer vehicles with a body, but a pickup would definitely be easier to run a bike up into and tie down. A fun option might be a truck cab 90 / 110 / 130 hi cap, however you won't be going long distances in comfort.

The landcruisers are also a very solid choice.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel K posted:

I'm not sure how heavy your bike is, but a classic range rover is a great long distance car with good off road capeabilities. Perhaps you could rig up some sort of platform to sit your bike on the back of it. 20mpg with a rover v8 is a little wishful though. If you could find a 300tdi one you should get near 30mpg.

I prefer vehicles with a body, but a pickup would definitely be easier to run a bike up into and tie down. A fun option might be a truck cab 90 / 110 / 130 hi cap, however you won't be going long distances in comfort.

The landcruisers are also a very solid choice.

322LB~ wet, so something like a versahauler carrier should work just fine on a landrover assuming it has a trailer hitch which I've read on some random landrover forums are typically rated for around 500lbs.

I also prefer the body vehicles over pickups. I think a 300tdi would be optimal at this point, although I'm guessing these are difficult to find and somewhat expensive. I'll have to read more about them.

e- Also, the 20mpg thing is more of a wish and probably the least important of all of the above. Somewhere between 15-20 would be doable. Gas prices tend to be very high in my area though so more mileage is always better.

soy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 31, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

soy posted:

I also prefer the body vehicles over pickups. I think a 300tdi would be optimal at this point, although I'm guessing these are difficult to find and somewhat expensive. I'll have to read more about them.

Unfortunately you'll not get one at all being in CA. They were never federalized, so there aren't any legal ones in the country. Conversions are done by shipping in 300 TDIs, transmissions, and pedal clusters as "tractor parts" (to get through customs) putting them into Discos or whatever and re-registering them as a diesel in a state that doesn't pay too much attention that that kind of thing. No way you'll get one registered in CA. I'm pretty sure I could get away with it in PA, but it's not worth the risk for me to even try. Definitely nothing '97 or newer (as your OBDII won't work after the swap).

Also, as someone who has driven a 300tdi let me explain why they never bothered bringing them to the US: they are anemic on the highway. Fantastic torque curve for off road (I mean....of course...diesel) but LRs were brought over a luxury vehicles and the v8 is simply a much nicer motor on the road. Their target market was never us vultures who are buying formerly $60,000 vehicles for $4000 to flog them off road in accordance with what they were really built for.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Motronic posted:

Unfortunately you'll not get one at all being in CA. They were never federalized, so there aren't any legal ones in the country. Conversions are done by shipping in 300 TDIs, transmissions, and pedal clusters as "tractor parts" (to get through customs) putting them into Discos or whatever and re-registering them as a diesel in a state that doesn't pay too much attention that that kind of thing. No way you'll get one registered in CA. I'm pretty sure I could get away with it in PA, but it's not worth the risk for me to even try. Definitely nothing '97 or newer (as your OBDII won't work after the swap).

Also, as someone who has driven a 300tdi let me explain why they never bothered bringing them to the US: they are anemic on the highway. Fantastic torque curve for off road (I mean....of course...diesel) but LRs were brought over a luxury vehicles and the v8 is simply a much nicer motor on the road. Their target market was never us vultures who are buying formerly $60,000 vehicles for $4000 to flog them off road in accordance with what they were really built for.

My boss has a Defender TDI 110 in the parking lot at my office. I'm guessing it's an early model. 1980's era, I know it's not a mid 90's NA version.

I'd say forget mileage honestly, the best you can possibly get with most 4x4's is probably 20 under ideal optimal situations. That's going to go down to 10 in the desert/mountains.

I usually see people ask for a 4x4 they can pull a quad on a trailer with, toss a bike in the back and go shooting and camping with..... AND it has to get 30+ mpg and I'm all :cripes:

If mileage is that big of a concern maybe you can track down a diesel Jeep Liberty.. I know theres a few stateside, I saw one at the place where I get biodiesel from.

I was going to ask if you wanted foreign or domestic, I was going to throw out one of these as a comedy option, a CUCV:

http://www.100dollarman.com/trucks.html

It's basically a military spec dodge ram or blazer, diesel with heavy duty axles and a Detroit locker in the rear. But those will need a bit of work usually. Mileage will be like any other 4x4, mid teens and the 6.2 N/A means you won't be breaking any speed limits anytime soon.

Toyota pickup may be a great idea, or a 4 runner.. If you want to put a bike in the back are you ok going with a hitch carrier? You may need something that supports a lot of tongue weight for a bike say a Class IV hitch receiver built in.

Going with a ranger or an s10 pickup may be cheaper than going with a toyota in California, there's a bit of a price premium there on a toyota truck.

I think the big question is what's the budget?

If you want to browse classifieds I'll throw this out there:

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/

There's alot of off road race stuff but the off road vehicles part has lots of toyotas and fords already rigged up, sometimes for a really good price but as with all used off road vehicles you may need to make sure you do your due diligence on inspection.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 31, 2012

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

soy posted:

322LB~ wet, so something like a versahauler carrier should work just fine on a landrover assuming it has a trailer hitch which I've read on some random landrover forums are typically rated for around 500lbs.

e- Also, the 20mpg thing is more of a wish and probably the least important of all of the above. Somewhere between 15-20 would be doable. Gas prices tend to be very high in my area though so more mileage is always better.

You should certainly be able to pop that on some sort of rack on the back of anything.

It depends if you can live with it - as has been mentioned, the 300tdi is not a particularly refined engine especially compared to a v8, but on a run you usually will see the positive side of 30.

The landcruiser I've put just under 27'000 miles on since we picked it up and I have averaged 27mpg (based on odometer mileage and fuel used) This includes long runs (33mpg a tank best) around town, shooting, over fields and towing an 18ft trailer reasonably frequently.

Saying that, I ran (and still own) a 3.5 v8 rrc which averages 9mpg on a run.

As has also been mentioned, if you want to go down the land rover route you should be prepared to spend time here and there with the spanners keeping on top / fixing things.

If you want just a great reliable vehicle I'd go for the 80 or 100 series LC although I think that will be more 15-20mpg.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geared Hub posted:

My boss has a Defender TDI 110 in the parking lot at my office. I'm guessing it's an early model. 1980's era, I know it's not a mid 90's NA version.

Yeah, that's the other way to get it that I should have mentioned: if it's 25 years old or more you can import it regardless. So that leaves out Discos and puts you into Series territory at the moment.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

Are these really like $12,000 each? Like, I could show up with $12,000 and leave with a 4x4 van?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Are these really like $12,000 each? Like, I could show up with $12,000 and leave with a 4x4 van?

I'm pretty sure that's the conversion price - i.e. BYOV (suitable vans only) and leave with a 4x4 van.

Me, I'd backyard hack it and call it good. In fact I'm horribly tempted to do that, since I presently have a van with a bad auto trans, a 4x4 5spd manual that would bolt in with proper electronics mods, a suitable transfer case, and even a front axle I could use. drat it, I don't need another project.

The upside to the Quigley conversions is that they're done using mostly factory parts from suitable donors (I suspect the frontends are chosen from similar GVWR pickups by the same manufacturer) and are in fact factory warrantied/serviced/certified, or at least won't result in a screaming service writer when you bring it in.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think the 1500 chevy vans come with AWD systems... Our work place crew haulers use them, and so far, most of them have over 300,000 miles and work fine. But I noticed the towing capacity really drops.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
There is a really bad part of me that wants to buy an AWD Express panel van and slam it to the ground, chop the roof a couple inches, and turbo-charge the 5.3l in it. Then I'd go troll Evo and STi owners.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 1, 2012

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
So I have a '91 Ford Ranger 4x4 I really want to get ready to take out and cut my teeth on some 4x4ing.
Its totally stock but the tires are nice Hankook Dynamic Radial. What should I make sure I go over before I take her out?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

therunningman posted:

So I have a '91 Ford Ranger 4x4 I really want to get ready to take out and cut my teeth on some 4x4ing.
Its totally stock but the tires are nice Hankook Dynamic Radial. What should I make sure I go over before I take her out?

Transmission mount, ensure it's not cracked and chewed up. Same with engine mounts.

Ensure your cooling system is in good working order. Make sure your exhaust isnt hanging down too low.

Other than that, if it's road worthy, its trail ready. Maybe bring a tow strap, a place to put your tow strap such as a d-hook for your reciever hitch, and a way to get in contact with a friend with a bigger truck incase you get stuck or break down.

Don't go out with a single vehicle. Bring a shovel and a cum-a-long (it's like a hand operated winch, not a fat chick)

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Do you have automatic hubs and push-button 4WD? The auto hubs tend to strip out and sometimes the electric 4WD motor doesn't work. Check 'em before you go out. It's easy to check the 4WD, not so much the hubs.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
To lock the wheels I do need to manually turn them on the front wheels, but I engage it with a pushbutton in the cab and it all seems to work OK.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

jonathan posted:

Don't go out with a single vehicle.

^ this so many times.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I go out alone all the time, but only in areas I know I have cell reception, which I have wheeled a minimum of two or three times previously, with a full complement of spares and tools. And I tell people where I went.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I've done the same, went out with one vehicle this weekend, but I got 2 cases of common trail break down parts, a set of tools, 2 coolers, CB/HAM and a Iridium Phone, a ton of water, GPS, plus lots of paper maps, etc.

And of course letting people know where you are going and when you are coming back and not to hesitate to call for help if you don't check in.

Celphone coverage helps, but keep in mind if its summer in the California deserts, temperatures can get up to 120F and a lot of consumer electronics and displays start getting weird at that temperature.

We rented a few Chenowth sand cars for the weekend down in Plaster City/Ocotillo and my friends droid phone just stopped working.. overheated...

Rescued a family in a stuck ford F250 in a sand wash out in Font's point.. just tow strapped them out...

Big desert tips that people gently caress up and die from is leaving the disabled vehicle and not driving enough.

When we were messing around in the desert we were going through a quart and a half of water per hour like it was nothing, we rigged up a shade using ratchet straps and a blanket for one of the buggies which didn't have a canopy...

We kept hydrated and were fine in 100-110F heat... with the occasional dipping of the hat in cooler water. :3:

That being said, did a ton of exploring in the Anza Borrego/Imperial Valley region of Southern California and it was dead out there. I'd expected some off roading traffic due to the long weekend but we came across exactly 4 other vehicles [stuck F250, a jeep, and a rhino and a dirt bike] during 2 days. Lots of Coyotes and jackrabbits though...

I'll post some pics in a day

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 6, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I tell people where I'm going and when I'll be back, and to attempt to contact me before calling for help just in case I simply forgot to tell them I was back.

I've seen some pretty amazing videos of desert washes flash flooding, anyone who wheels out in the desert should be fully aware of that (sometimes they'll do it under a clear sky because that wash drains an area dozens of miles away) and under no circumstances should one camp in a wash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORZQUlk8vxg

Spares:
* driveshafts (at least rear, preferably front as well)
* rear driveshaft yoke, should start carrying a front one as well
* at least one each of front left/right axleshafts, preassembled with unit bearing installed
* tire
* crankshaft position sensor
* serpentine belt
* upper and lower radiator hoses (used my spare upper a few weeks ago, should probably get another)
* thermostat, gasket
* water pump, gasket
* tie rod, drag link (if far from home)
* ujoint straps or ubolts as needed
* brake lines (not sure if I still have those in the kit)
* set of balljoints (enough to rebuild one side of front axle housing)
* throttle position sensor
* fuses
* I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

I tell people where I'm going and when I'll be back, and to attempt to contact me before calling for help just in case I simply forgot to tell them I was back.

I've seen some pretty amazing videos of desert washes flash flooding, anyone who wheels out in the desert should be fully aware of that (sometimes they'll do it under a clear sky because that wash drains an area dozens of miles away) and under no circumstances should one camp in a wash.

even when rain is not a consideration, I remember the basin where I lived drained strangely from the mountains which causes dry arroyo beds to form and in some cases enormous sink holes. So it's definitely important to keep that in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Spares:
*Extra Jeep

Holy poo poo dude you carry lots of parts. I'm glad I don't wheel that far from civilization :psyboom: