Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Pinechild posted:

Cancri (note Cs) is the genitive for stars in the constellation Cancer, i.e. Alpha Cancri, Beta Cancri, 55 Cancri, etc. I figured the Ks were just for continuity with Karkat.

Also, can cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Anyone else think that trashy romance book Rose snatched from Meenah is troll 50 Shades of Grey? Meenah said she was getting hot and bothered by just the title. Just a thought.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Hussie's real stroke of genius here is that he's managed (so far) to avoid criticisms about "ten more characters hogging the spotlight :argh:" by introducing the Beforan trolls in a big blob of content. Nobody has the time to complain about wanting to go back to the familiar characters, because by the time we've finished reading the walkaround we like the new ones already.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

escape mechanism posted:

Hussie's real stroke of genius here is that he's managed (so far) to avoid criticisms about "ten more characters hogging the spotlight :argh:" by introducing the Beforan trolls in a big blob of content. Nobody has the time to complain about wanting to go back to the familiar characters, because by the time we've finished reading the walkaround we like the new ones already.

This is true. On the one hand I found the bombshell of content right out of the hiatus to be somewhat tiring (which to a serial reader would mean nothing), but on the other there's no multitude of updates and pages to cover to get to know the new characters away from the old. These introductions have been handled pretty much perfectly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It'd probably have taken four weeks to introduce all these characters (in which I include the ones we haven't met yet from the next walkabout or two) in the usual way anyway. Considering they're pretty peripheral, that'd have been unpleasant to archive or serial readers compared to this high-density method, and also have stalled a lot of other important developments like dave_ebubbles.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Akett posted:

Anyone else think that trashy romance book Rose snatched from Meenah is troll 50 Shades of Grey? Meenah said she was getting hot and bothered by just the title. Just a thought.
Porrim has totally mastered all 50 shades of grey :iamafag:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Aargh I'm stuck, I can't be Kankri because I guess I have to be Latula first? But when I try to be her she just gives me her skateboard and nothing happens. What am I missing?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

floofyscorp posted:

Aargh I'm stuck, I can't be Kankri because I guess I have to be Latula first? But when I try to be her she just gives me her skateboard and nothing happens. What am I missing?

You need to pull off some sick grinds and ollie out

edit: Go be Porrim, look at that crystal ball memory thing to create the shortcut stair, then go to the top of those stairs as Meenah and you get the option to grind down them if you have Latula's skateboard.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Man, that's some funky rear end music. The sprites are horrible though

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Call Now posted:

The sprites are horrible though

sm0ke weed every n0cturnal-diurnal cycle
                    \

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The art and code were ready weeks ago, Hussie just needed time to actually write out all of Kankri's :words:.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

From her Symbolically Rendered appearance way back when to her titanic Angelina Jolie puffy lips in this flash, has there ever been a time when Aradia didn't look off somehow? :/

And about the walkaround sprites, do they remind anyone else of the sprites in Phantasy Star 2?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Call Now posted:

The sprites are horrible though
I actually liked all the sprites except for Aradia's; it was too overshaded.

So it looks teenage Dave is getting more philosophical about things. I hope he's getting over his insecurity about not being as "heroic" as John or Dirk.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HalfHazard posted:

From her Symbolically Rendered appearance way back when to her titanic Angelina Jolie puffy lips in this flash, has there ever been a time when Aradia didn't look off somehow? :/

Aradia's horns are always off-model. Especially when Hussie forgets to draw them.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I found the most hilariously stupid tumblr post ever.

quote:

people keep posting porrim with these huge knockers and it’s like

alright i know “artistic interpretation” and all that but

those aren’t that large, man. that is 4 pixels out from the innermost indentation.

i see the grey line down the middle that kind of implies breast shaping, but the dress just does not support that implication, and it could also very likely be a scar from an injury similar to kanaya’s?

maybe her sex isn’t actually even female, maybe she only identifies as one, Kankri would surely have talked all the trolls into using proper gender pronouns when referring to her at this point if that was the case.

just keep that in mind guys

y’all makin ya’selves look silly

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Can you do anything with Hussie once you get him to follow you? I noticed he's also standing on a platform in the right upper corner of the starting screen, is it possible to get over there?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

This is a textbook example of what is wrong with Tumblr SJWs.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

voting third party posted:

Can you do anything with Hussie once you get him to follow you? I noticed he's also standing on a platform in the right upper corner of the starting screen, is it possible to get over there?

There's an open window in the beginning area where you can go over to him and see him do a thing, and open a treasure chest.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

voting third party posted:

There's a broken window on the right, right at the start. But no, none of the interactions with Hussie 'do anything' per se.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Pessimism posted:

edit: particularly loved the references to all of the trashy literature disappearing in a blur

It seems Rose inherited her ecto-father's flash step abilities.

Slime posted:

Then again John seems to have a way of making friends. Maybe she actually kinda liked him.

Both John and Sassacre were corny comedians, what are the odds they used fish puns to endear themselves to the Batterwitch?

TheDemon posted:

There's a broken window on the right, right at the start. But no, none of the interactions with Hussie 'do anything' per se.

If you present the Hussie sobbing in the 8-ball pile with the Horse Hitcher he'll follow you around. If you lead him into Karkat's Memory Vault you can find a secret item in the top left corner.

That's about it.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Call Now posted:

Man, that's some funky rear end music. The sprites are horrible though

If you mean the walkaround sprites, then yeah, I wasn't too fond of those. Even if they're supposed to indicate growth, I dunno..

If you mean the portraits, then I think most of them are pretty good except for Aradia's. (Who I think may have soured most people to them since she was one of the first we actually got to see.)

It feels like they've gone all-out on expressiveness this time, and it's really nice.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Midnight Raider posted:

If you mean the walkaround sprites, then yeah, I wasn't too fond of those. Even if they're supposed to indicate growth, I dunno..

If you mean the portraits, then I think most of them are pretty good except for Aradia's. (Who I think may have soured most people to them since she was one of the first we actually got to see.)

It feels like they've gone all-out on expressiveness this time, and it's really nice.

I will admit when I first saw Aradia's talk sprite I kinda flinched back from the screen and went "eurgh" outloud. But the rest of them are pretty great, especially Latula's.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Also, DaveKap will you please make an avatar of Dave shrugging/smiling for me? I will buy you archives or some poo poo if you'd like.
Not sure exactly what you wanted (either the original animation you quoted or something as close to what you asked for) so here ya go. I kinda feel bad making something that would remove a GKC avatar!

I haven't read everything here since the update so if this was mentioned, welp... but holy hell did this walkaround feel a lot like Ness in Magicant. Porrim's/Kankri's music really notched this up a bit too.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Haha, I absolutely loved Kankri. I read every single thing he said, he's so terrible and completely hilarious.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I noticed something during the update that I haven't seen anybody else mention: Apparently, Latula takes some kind of behavioral medications? At one point (talking to her as Kankri I think) she mentions something about the way she act "when I haven't taken my meds". I wonder if that will be sopor slime, or something new, or just be forgotten entirely.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DaveKap posted:

Not sure exactly what you wanted (either the original animation you quoted or something as close to what you asked for) so here ya go. I kinda feel bad making something that would remove a GKC avatar!

Yes, thank you so much! I will take this one. I would not change my Gunnerkrigg Court hearts except I have been wanting a Dave talksprite avatar since Seer: Descend, which was, holy poo poo, almost 18 months ago.

Now I just have to come up with some title text, which I will do by refreshing a dave_ebubble until I get something I like.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Miracon posted:

I noticed something during the update that I haven't seen anybody else mention: Apparently, Latula takes some kind of behavioral medications? At one point (talking to her as Kankri I think) she mentions something about the way she act "when I haven't taken my meds". I wonder if that will be sopor slime, or something new, or just be forgotten entirely.

What if Latula was ADD? That would explain her not really paying attention to things like LE blowing up a dream bubble and quickly being confused during Porrim's very short feminist lecture.

(oh god this sounds like something from Tumblr. kill me now)

KoB
May 1, 2009
In some of the Dave ebubbles, hes clearly talking to Gamzee. Were those previous pesterchum logs or does that confirm that Gamzee didnt hide the whole 3 years?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It would make sense if he was creating the ebubbles with fragments of memories.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I think Hussie mentioned that they're every line of text Dave has had.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

KoB posted:

In some of the Dave ebubbles, hes clearly talking to Gamzee. Were those previous pesterchum logs or does that confirm that Gamzee didnt hide the whole 3 years?

Dave actually talked to Gamzee at least twice. The first I remember being around the time Dave was in the game, broke Caledflwch, and talked to Equius, when Gamzee was stoned. Later we saw the conversation Dave mentioned remembering in that, in which Sober Gamzee contacted him before he even got into the game, and told him how he was going to kill everyone.

Speaking of, I wonder how the ebubbles even work. If someone compiled a truly massive list of everything Dave ever said, or some trick was applied. I initially guessed that it just did a search of every TG: line from Act Five and back(skipping Act 6 so as to not get Roxy lines), but then I noticed there were still Dave lines from Act 6 intermissions in there so :iiam:.

Edit: VVV :ms:

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 1, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

I think Hussie mentioned that they're every line of text Dave has had.
After hitting one of those orbs about 15 times that's the immediate conclusion I came to. It's just grabbing random lines of Dave's from the textdump.

It works really well too, since a lot of Dave's pesterlogs consist of sentences broken up over multiple lines.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Midnight Raider posted:

Dave actually talked to Gamzee at least twice. The first I remember being around the time Dave was in the game, broke Caledflwch, and talked to Equius, when Gamzee was stoned. Later we saw the conversation Dave mentioned remembering in that, in which Sober Gamzee contacted him before he even got into the game, and told him how he was going to kill everyone.

Speaking of, I wonder how the ebubbles even work. If someone compiled a truly massive list of everything Dave ever said, or some trick was applied. I initially guessed that it just did a search of every TG: line from Act Five and back(skipping Act 6 so as to not get Roxy lines), but then I noticed there were still Dave lines from Act 6 intermissions in there so :iiam:.

It's not like it couldn't detect the colour coding if it did a search through the pages.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I assume it's doing something like the script I used to make this ugly thing (2 years ago...):

http://home.earthlink.net/~omnomnomnivore/pesterloglog.html

(It uses chat names + color codes to uniquely identify characters).

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I assume it's doing something like the script I used to make this ugly thing (2 years ago...):

http://home.earthlink.net/~omnomnomnivore/pesterloglog.html

(It uses chat names + color codes to uniquely identify characters).

The Aradia sprite was a bit offputting, but everything else in the update was great. I'm beyond excited for more.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Midnight Raider posted:

Speaking of, I wonder how the ebubbles even work.
They actually work like Horse_ebooks.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So someone came out with the best cosplay of any of these new characters.

http://undyingumbrassiere.tumblr.com/post/30610610462

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

The worst part is there was a good point to be made there about how fandom has a disturbing tendency to over-sexualize basically everything - like what happened with Faith from Mirror's Edge - and then he just went and veered right off the rails.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Hussie posted:

Survey

If you played the recent update, it would be a big help if you could fill out this survey on the game’s performance. This will help us fix remaining issues for the next couple games.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DJP5Y8C

Thanks!

Hey yo fill out da survey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Seoinin posted:

sm0ke weed every n0cturnal-diurnal cycle
                    \

Can someone please make this avatar-sized for me so I can buy it?