Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

They've still got the Neutral (Evil?) Albino Lizardfolk Cleric to deal with. Although, I wonder why Tarquin left him behind. Maybe he understands Malack to be competent even on his own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

inthesto posted:

That's some incredibly weak deus ex machina right there.

Is there even a thrown weapon feat that gives you knockback/bull rushing?

No it's not. Tarquin's been established as powerful enough to hold off the Order by himself, so taking one member out for a round isn't deus ex machina.

And the OOTS won that encounter, no question. Great passage of play (plus fast strips thank gently caress).

V is next I am guessing. FIENDS AHOY.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

LashLightning posted:

They've still got the Neutral (Evil?) Albino Lizardfolk Cleric to deal with. Although, I wonder why Tarquin left him behind. Maybe he understands Malack to be competent even on his own?

I think it might just be a "parents do stupid things for their children" type of deal, honestly - if anyone's more important than Malack to Tarquin, it'd be his sons.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LashLightning posted:

Although, I wonder why Tarquin left him behind.

Malack was separated from the rest of the group by a door trap, so they couldn't grab him for a quick retreat. And Malack is competent enough to get away on his own. He hasn't been deafened, so he can hear what's happening on the other side of the metal (?) wall.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Malack definitely strikes me as the type to have Word of Recall prepared.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LashLightning posted:

I doubt that the Order can open that door too quickly, it was closed by a trap so I think they will need to find and disarm the trap first.

Otherwise Tarquin would have just opened it himself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

sebmojo posted:

No it's not. Tarquin's been established as powerful enough to hold off the Order by himself, so taking one member out for a round isn't deus ex machina.

And the OOTS won that encounter, no question. Great passage of play (plus fast strips thank gently caress).

V is next I am guessing. FIENDS AHOY.

Randomly knowing Drow sign language is INCREDIBLY deus ex machina

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

Like randomly knowing how to pun-duel? Wearing a ring of true seeing? Knowing where the draketooth clan was at? Being able to catch all the slaves and nail them up in some tiny amount of time? Writing a manual with every possible PC scheme in it?

He's been set up as a character who's more skilled and knowledgeable than anyone in the strip to date. That's the joke - he's an Evil Mary Sue. Him always having some absurdly detailed skill (and associated awesome story about the time he...) that fits the needs of the plot is the basis of his character.

Unless you want to say he's a walking DEM, in which case, sure.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

sebmojo posted:

I'm referring to the drow sign language. I know it's a callback to a really esoteric rule, but it's really not an interesting or entertaining one.

And then the next few panels were just crammed with words that didn't add anything.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

greatn posted:

Maybe, but I think that the Drow could probably get the idea of what Tarquin wanted just from the context of the situation alone, so I'll give that a pass.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

inthesto posted:

I'm referring to the drow sign language. I know it's a callback to a really esoteric rule, but it's really not an interesting or entertaining one.

And then the next few panels were just crammed with words that didn't add anything.

Oh, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood.

I think Rich just liked that line about 'unbalanced in the best way' and wanted that in.

And Tarquin has to leave in a stylish and in-command way, because he hasn't had his reversal yet. So a quick story about some awesome Drow hottie he banged back in the day is a way of showing he's retreating, rather then running away.

I actually quite liked the old school call back - though it never made sense to me that a purely visual language would develop underground. THOSE WACKY OLDSCHOOL DUDES.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Come on, these are the same guys who made the underground people have dark skin.

Okay, we probably shouldn't go down this road, so:

Predicting that Malack is going to turn on Nale and side with the Order in an instant. It's clear that he harbors them no ill will on a personal level, and he'll probably jump on any excuse to make Nale suffer.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

sebmojo posted:

I actually quite liked the old school call back - though it never made sense to me that a purely visual language would develop underground. THOSE WACKY OLDSCHOOL DUDES.
Erm, infravision? Which I still don't know why it was changed to the much more boring darkvision

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

inthesto posted:

Predicting that Malack is going to turn on Nale and side with the Order in an instant. It's clear that he harbors them no ill will on a personal level, and he'll probably jump on any excuse to make Nale suffer.
Turn on Nale? Almost certainly.

Turn on Tarquin? I'm not so sure.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Colon V posted:

Turn on Nale? Almost certainly.

Turn on Tarquin? I'm not so sure.

It'll depend hugely on how Tarquin keeps dealing with Nale. If Malack sees that Tarquin has no intention of letting him deal with Nale eventually, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, given their relationship, I wouldn't be surprised unduly if Tarquin takes in completely in stride instead of going off on a ranting revenge angle.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ursine Asylum posted:

It'll depend hugely on how Tarquin keeps dealing with Nale. If Malack sees that Tarquin has no intention of letting him deal with Nale eventually, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, given their relationship, I wouldn't be surprised unduly if Tarquin takes in completely in stride instead of going off on a ranting revenge angle.

It's a really interesting question. I love Malack too, he's a fascinating character.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Another thing to consider about the Drow sign language is that the Drow mage was originally a parody of Drizzt Do'Urden and the Drizzt books used the sign language a lot, especially in the prequel books when he still lived with other Drow. It's more likely a co-incidence than a reference though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Another thing to consider about the Drow sign language is that the Drow mage was originally a parody of Drizzt Do'Urden and the Drizzt books used the sign language a lot, especially in the prequel books when he still lived with other Drow. It's more likely a co-incidence than a reference though.

There is no way it is not a deliberate reference.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That poor winged kobold dude. He's just completely out of his depth. :3:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

My Lovely Horse posted:

That poor winged kobold dude. He's just completely out of his depth. :3:

He's pretty rad. Kobolds in general are cool, though.

And if I remember my stuff correctly, winged kobolds are Dragonblooded, which both makes them Special in kobold society and gives them some bonus oomph. There might be more to that guy than we've seen yet.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 31, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Redeye Flight posted:

He's pretty rad. Kobolds in general are cool, though.

And if I remember my stuff correctly, winged kobolds are Dragonblooded, which both makes them Special in kobold society and gives them some bonus oomph. There might be more to that guy than we've seen yet.

Drama demands that he kill Belkar. Maybe a bit too pat, but.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I hope we get a "-2" book that's all about Tarquin and friends.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I love the fact that Tarquin keeps talking even though everyone who can hear him is either deaf or unconscious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NihilCredo posted:

Erm, infravision? Which I still don't know why it was changed to the much more boring darkvision

Pure game mechanismery. "Okay, you can see up to six squares ahead." Perceiving infrared is harder to adjudicate during gameplay because not everybody has enough scientific knowledge to guess how long a warm footprint remains visible, whether shoes negate the heat transfer or not, and myriad other uses of infravision unrelated to "you see that there's an orc in front of you".

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 31, 2012

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I hope we get a "-2" book that's all about Tarquin and friends.

That would own.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

ZearothK posted:

I love the fact that Tarquin keeps talking even though everyone who can hear him is either deaf or unconscious.

He needed Roy to know that he banged that draw chick.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Tinyn posted:

He needed Roy to know that he banged that draw chick.

And apparently pissed on her

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ZearothK posted:

One cannot let minor inconveniences like that get in the way of proper style.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

RickoniX posted:

And apparently pissed on her

I'm not quite sure that's what we were supposed to infer from that, but given drow tendencies, I suppose it's possible. It's probably best left to the reader's imagination rather than explicitly spelled out, though.

As far as a Tarquin and Friends book, it should be Book -0.5, since it would almost certainly start after Book -1 did.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 31, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Cat Mattress posted:

Pure game mechanismery. "Okay, you can see up to six squares ahead." Perceiving infrared is harder to adjudicate during gameplay because not everybody has enough scientific knowledge to guess how long a warm footprint remains visible, whether shoes negate the heat transfer or not, and myriad other uses of infravision unrelated to "you see that there's an orc in front of you".
It also sounds dumb too in a fantasy context given that its a reference to science just like the Ring of X-Ray vision and ultravision.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

jng2058 posted:

I'm not quite sure that's what we were supposed to infer from that, but given drow tendencies, I suppose it's possible. It's probably best left to the reader's imagination rather than explicitly spelled out, though.

Tarquin posted:

This one time I thought I was using the hand sign for "drinking fountain" but it turned out I was actually asking if I could-

So he made a watersports joke out of that, I guess. \/:(\/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

jng2058 posted:

As far as a Tarquin and Friends book, it should be Book -0.5, since it would almost certainly start after Book -1 did.

I was thinking that, but I didn't know if that would fit on the spine.

And actually a lot of it would take place at the same time as the main story.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LashLightning posted:

So he made a watersports joke out of that, I guess. \/:(\/

Yeah, or he asked is she was a squirter, or if he could suckle her... Who knows, who cares.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I thought the strip was okay but it seemed a little silly that with such a good plan Roy didn't have some contingency in mind for teleport. He actually seems surprised they're doing it because he suddenly has to ask Durkon if he can stop them somehow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Apocron posted:

because he suddenly has to ask Durkon if he can stop them somehow.
He didn't expect Tarquin to know Drow Sign Language (and apparently didn't expect anyone to make their saves).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just as importantly he was expecting V to be there with his prepared spells.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Keep in mind that the entire plan is something Roy came up with about ten minutes ago and the sum total of its ambition was "counterattack and don't die." It's a really good plan considering that, but it's not reasonable to think it would be planned out to the tenth decimal place like something Batman had a week to set up or some poo poo. It has accomplished its twin goals of "counterattacked" and "we didn't die."

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

They survived a planned, coordinated assault by a capable band of prepared leveled classes. Usually that kind of strike team is death incarnate. None of them even died! Id say that's pretty badass.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
To be fair, Durkon would be dead if Tarquin hadn't specifically not killed him as a favor to his buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Roy sort of got killed, or at least had 0 hitpoints outside and had to be healed by Durkon as well.

At least they have Tarquin's axe now, maybe he won't be so impossible to defeat? Although the only one that could use it would be Durkon (assuming he is allowed to use axes - are clerics still bound by the whole 'no cutting edges' rule in 3.5?).