Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Spiffo posted:

No, but just about every boss has either Dejaka or Dekunda, and they'll use it once in a while. Some of them will use both when you get halfway through the fight, then go back to only being able to use one of them. A few bosses, like the last one in the optional dungeon, straight-up have both and will use them with some regularity. That one in particular will almost always cast dekunda on himself if he's debuffed, he'll use dekaja less frequently but he'll still do it.

So yeah, you don't get them cancelled out instantly or anything. Like I said, the majority only has one or the other which is why it's important to carry some buffs AND debuffs around.

edit: I'll usually still throw down a fog breath, even if the boss has Dekunda, because a turn spent fixing themselves is a turn spent not attacking. Since I have other demons it's not exactly tit-for-tat and I feel like I still come out ahead.The last

The last part is especially relevant, iirc there are bosses in various SMTs that you can soft-lock this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

vanov posted:

The last part is especially relevant, iirc there are bosses in various SMTs that you can soft-lock this way.

Well pretty much all bosses get two turns, and they usually have one of those _____'s Eye moves that can give them a bunch of half-turns, so they're by no means locked down. It's still worth throwing down Fog Breath though in order to cost them one of those turns, or even better have them possibly miss and thus cost them two.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Spiffo posted:

Well pretty much all bosses get two turns, and they usually have one of those _____'s Eye moves that can give them a bunch of half-turns, so they're by no means locked down. It's still worth throwing down Fog Breath though in order to cost them one of those turns, or even better have them possibly miss and thus cost them two.

Right, hence soft-lock. I guess "slow down" is preferable though. I don't remember how much SP Fog Breath is but if you read it as "boss skips at least one turn per round" it's not the worst you could be doing at all.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

vanov posted:

Right, hence soft-lock. I guess "slow down" is preferable though. I don't remember how much SP Fog Breath is but if you read it as "boss skips at least one turn per round" it's not the worst you could be doing at all.

Even if you're not up against someone with Dekunda laying down two Fog Breaths is a VERY worthwhile investment simply because it increases the odds of enemies whiffing and wasting turns.

Fog Breath was a great skill and there's plenty of reasons why it stayed grafted to my MC all throughout Nocturne.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked in Persona 3 and 4 that debuffs were a one time thing that had a short duration. If you wanted to keep your attack up and their defense down with the same person they would be constantly rotating instead of buffx4, debuffx4 repeat

The result of this is that the bulk of the buffs/debuffs were things I never used. Once the buffs came in for the full party they were situationally used by characters who couldn't actively fight due to immunities or whatever. It didn't help that you couldn't refresh them.

Nocturne was kind of a weird experience coming from P3/4 due to it's heavy focus on stacking effects. The Persona games felt more traditionally JRPG where every turn was an attack or heal and I only bothered with utility when I got debuffed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mailer posted:

The result of this is that the bulk of the buffs/debuffs were things I never used. Once the buffs came in for the full party they were situationally used by characters who couldn't actively fight due to immunities or whatever. It didn't help that you couldn't refresh them.

What? Just cast them again after they fade.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mailer posted:

Dr Pepper posted:

What? Just cast them again after they fade.

I think that's the point he's getting at; you have to wait for the spell to wear off before you can recast it, whereas in most other games you'd be able to just extend the duration by another 3 turns by re-casting the spell on the last turn it's active.

Honestly, I kind of like having to wait for the spells to expire before reapplying them. It creates an interesting tension and rhythm in the boss fights.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh right. I guess that makes sense.

I have to agree it's better though. It also helps with you just completely crippling a boss. because there will always be at least one turn in which it's at full strength.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I'm not sure how recently it was put up, but there's a pretty great track on the SMT IV website right now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

http://indexweb.jp/news/2012/10411.html
Keep milkin that sweet sweet P4 money.
:shepface:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

To be fair, they did the same with P3 but with even more social games.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

http://megaten4.jp/
SMTIV website was updated, it now features a new song (the song is op.mp3 so it's probably the game's opening theme) and a new teaser image. You should listen to the song because it kind of owns.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
That is one sweet-rear end song. I hope the rest of the soundtrack is even heavier, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mailer posted:

Nocturne was kind of a weird experience coming from P3/4 due to it's heavy focus on stacking effects. The Persona games felt more traditionally JRPG where every turn was an attack or heal and I only bothered with utility when I got debuffed.

I had the opposite experience, I set up my party specifically so that I could abuse buffs/debuffs. In P3P I think Aki/Aigis had a bunch of them that complimented each other, and in P4 you get Debilitate which was awesome on bosses since it reduced every stat, you just had to have the MC cast it every 3 turns while Kanji casted attack buffs on your party every 3 turns. You could also have team mates heal or Power Charge/Mind Charge on turns where the buff wore off.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the Persona 4 target demographic young enough to get their parents to buy them a collectible card game?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I've found that Persona fans tend to have a lot of disposable income that they spend on the silliest things. :)

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

POWERFUL rear end SWEAT posted:

Is the Persona 4 target demographic young enough to get their parents to buy them a collectible card game?

Imagine a child gleefully nagging his parents to buy him a Persona 4 booster pack.

Only to get a holographic card displaying everyone's favorite Persona, Mara.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

avlein posted:

Imagine a child gleefully nagging his parents to buy him a Persona 4 booster pack.

Only to get a holographic card displaying everyone's favorite Persona, Mara.

You know, I think I'd actually pay good money to see a holographic trading card of a dick monster riding a chariot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Slime posted:

You know, I think I'd actually pay good money to see a holographic trading card of a dick monster riding a chariot.

...why?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Slime posted:

No, you would not.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Why summon Mara at all? Because dicks are hilarious and I'm a massive manchild.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Slime posted:

Why summon Mara at all?

Because it learns a unique spell in Persona 3! :pseudo:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I had a change to test out P4G this morning at PAX and god but Chie's new voice is bad.

It may not be bad on it's own, if you didn't play P4 and have an established voice already in your head, I suppose. Having played vanilla P4 a couple times, the fact that she seems like the only person with a new VA makes it even worse. I was sitting through one of the early CSes that I'd seen several times and in the middle of all the familiar voice work the new VA just stands out like nails on a chalkboard. Maybe I'll get used to it but after like 60 seconds I was skipping all her lines.

That aside, the rest of the game looks absolutely fantastic, the visuals are much sharper and detailed. Unfortunately they had the demo games set to the very beginning of the game so there was no chance of seeing how the combat looks.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Because he, too, :h: Cum

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is P4G even like worth getting if you've played the original P4? I mean at least the P3 remakes added important things (The Answer, and the Female story) But everything I've seen seems to add just more ~romance~ scenes with the girls, and some vacation stuff. I mean there's the two new s links but those don't seem like it's worth laying down cash for. Although I guess having a decent RPG on the go isn't too bad. Just curious if theres a feature or two I missed.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Probably not unless you are a crazy person who actually owns a vita.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Do you want to play a version of Persona 4 in which you don't need to spend an hour resetting in the Velvet room to get the Persona you want?

Because that's why I want The Golden.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Scooters! Going out at night! Adachi S. Link!

That's enough for me, I guess :shobon:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm getting P4G beacuse persona 4 is one of my favorite games ever. I have been dying to play through it for a year, but held off so the extra stuff should spice things up nicely. plus I need something good to play on the vita.

Also how cool is it to have every persona game on the same device.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TurnipFritter posted:

http://megaten4.jp/
SMTIV website was updated, it now features a new song (the song is op.mp3 so it's probably the game's opening theme) and a new teaser image. You should listen to the song because it kind of owns.

Goddrat. I cannot wait for this poo poo. At least we'll have (presumably) have Soul Hackers to hold us over until SMT4 drops.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Pepper posted:

Do you want to play a version of Persona 4 in which you don't need to spend an hour resetting in the Velvet room to get the Persona you want?

I'm sure you can take an hour out of your day to do that rather than spend 300 dollars and buy a Vita for a game you've probably already played to death.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is P4G even like worth getting if you've played the original P4? I mean at least the P3 remakes added important things (The Answer, and the Female story) But everything I've seen seems to add just more ~romance~ scenes with the girls, and some vacation stuff. I mean there's the two new s links but those don't seem like it's worth laying down cash for. Although I guess having a decent RPG on the go isn't too bad. Just curious if theres a feature or two I missed.

There's really nothing about P4G that is particularly interesting in terms of characters, gameplay, and story beyond the Adachi S. Link. Everything else added is not going to add to your overall experience, unless there are people who really believe that an extra 2 hours of gameplay for a lame dungeon, a new lame character they insert into the game like she's always been there, extra scenes that don't amount to anything other than fluff, and everything else added is purely aesthetics. If you've played P4 to death, there's nothing that P4G that is offering you that warrants you buying a Vita and the game.

No seriously, Marie being added and treated like she's been this big part of the group is really offputting and stupid, especially the extra ending where she's with the whole group a year after P4 ends.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sucks for you guys that already spoiled yourselves on the inferior Playstation 2 version. :smug:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm sure you can take an hour out of your day to do that rather than spend 300 dollars and buy a Vita for a game you've probably already played to death.

Uh. I already own a Vita. And I played Persona 4 once. Quite a while ago. I'd rather replay a game I like with improvements rather then play though it on the original knowing some stuff that bugged me about the game was fixed.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No seriously, Marie being added and treated like she's been this big part of the group is really offputting and stupid, especially the extra ending where she's with the whole group a year after P4 ends.

How the hell does this work? I figured she was just like Theodore, what role does she actually play?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I own a Vita, but I'm not going to lie, I kind of always planned on getting one specifically for P4G (Gravity Rush just kind of pushed me into getting it earlier than intended.) There almost certainly isn't anywhere near as much new content as P3P had, seeing as there isn't a new main character, but between the Adachi S-Link and some of the newer content that is there (plus the gameplay, aesthetic poo poo Sex_Ferguson obviously doesn't care about), I think it's a pretty drat good purchase.

Plus it's portable. Portability is good, particularly considering the Vita, much like the PSP, primarily goes into sleep mode instead of being turned off, so you can stop doing whatever it is you're doing at any point without needing to deal with save points or anything, which is really nice.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

How the hell does this work? I figured she was just like Theodore, what role does she actually play?

The least surprising one, I imagine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

Read all about it, it's just as forced as it sounds.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Marie

King of Solomon posted:

(plus the gameplay, aesthetic poo poo Sex_Ferguson obviously doesn't care about),

There is nothing new about the gameplay that is remotely interesting except new balance for characters. Team attacks and scooters are more than likely just new gimmicks they added to the gameplay, that's just adding stuff that I'm probably never going to use like Fuuka's abilities in P3. It's fine that they want to add extra stuff to the gameplay as they can't really improve on it, but it's not going to sell me on buying a Vita for the game. The aesthetic stuff is also nice side stuff, but not stuff you try and sell someone buying a game for, as nice as some of the new costumes are, they're not really that important to me nor is gardening, holiday scenes and some online dungeon thing that people still have no idea what it does.

P4G is a nice port, but it's not something I'd ever consider buying a new handheld for, which is kind of what everyone seems to be doing.

EDIT:

Dr Pepper posted:

Why would you buy an entire system for a single game in the first place?

You'd be surprised by how many people do this.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 1, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have a Vita because there's a variety of games I'm interested in. P4G is only one.

No. Persona 4 Golden is not worth a Vita by itself.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Read all about it, it's just as forced as it sounds.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Marie

Wow, that looks terrible. It sounds like Atlus really wanted you to like this new girl. I do like that there's yet another big bad though, because five apparently wasn't enough. If anything highlighted the problems with the game's story, it's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dr Pepper posted:

Do you want me to go back through this thread finding all the "WELP gotta buy a Vita day one" posts from the announcement? Because there were plenty.