Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

makere posted:

Red, with the "Keep calm and Kacho ON" on the back and small GCCX logo on the front?
That's what I would want :)

We can't use the trademarks; we're giving them enough trouble as it is.

It's a concept that's been kicking around a while. We've been working on some designs with the hope that we'll be able to offer them for sale in a few weeks time. We have other responsibilities that have been slowing us down and we want to get this right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Random Stranger posted:

We can't use the trademarks; we're giving them enough trouble as it is.

It's a concept that's been kicking around a while. We've been working on some designs with the hope that we'll be able to offer them for sale in a few weeks time. We have other responsibilities that have been slowing us down and we want to get this right.

It's a picture of Nakayama standing on the front, bowing on the back, and it has the word 'ponkoron' wrapping around the waist.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Not gonna lie though, "Keep calm and Kacho On" is a fantastic thing to put on a shirt.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I randomly stumbled upon a hilarious Abe video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXguekkfHqc

This is what I was initially expecting to happen during Densha De Go.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Can I just vote a massive 5 pre-emptively while I panic and struggle with all this JAPAN because I'm so helplessly afraid of using anything-oh hey look Youtube link.

....welp.

You've ruined my life, I'm never going to have time for creativity again. Thanks guys! Seriously this show is goddamn hilarious and anything you describe as "like Top Gear but with..." is going to be solid gold in my book.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

FinalGamer posted:

Can I just vote a massive 5 pre-emptively while I panic and struggle with all this JAPAN because I'm so helplessly afraid of using anything-oh hey look Youtube link.

....welp.

You've ruined my life, I'm never going to have time for creativity again. Thanks guys! Seriously this show is goddamn hilarious and anything you describe as "like Top Gear but with..." is going to be solid gold in my book.

You'll run out of translated episodes quickly. And then you'll be stuck with the rest of us waiting every week. Welcome, brother/sister.

Unless you can speak japanese and in that case... welp cya

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heti posted:

You'll run out of translated episodes quickly. And then you'll be stuck with the rest of us waiting every week. Welcome, brother/sister.

If you think it's bad now what are you guys going to do in six months when we're completely caught up?

(Disclaimer, we won't be completely caught up in six months. By my math it will be closer to eight.)

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Random Stranger posted:

If you think it's bad now what are you guys going to do in six months when we're completely caught up?

(Disclaimer, we won't be completely caught up in six months. By my math it will be closer to eight.)

We'll start bugging you to redo the TV Nihon episodes!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zrrgin posted:

We'll start bugging you to redo the TV Nihon episodes!

I included those in my math. :colbert:

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Random Stranger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90cwlneRjPQ&t=31s

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

Well, that's when we start dubbing the episodes. That, or translating the subtitles back to Japanese. And then retranslating. Or making an American version where the American Arino just curses at the screen for an hour, and we learn all the various ways "gently caress" can be combined with other words. You won't expect "loving gently caress-burgers with gently caress ketchup and gently caress mayo, but gently caress the mustard."

If we dub it, I call Abe.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I got my In USA DVD today, so I did a quick and dirty scan of the inside of the "envelope" that comes with it.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Random Stranger posted:

are you legally blocked from doing the kotaku ones? I'd like to see the originals, can't stand that announcer enough to watch them.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, that's when we start dubbing the episodes. That, or translating the subtitles back to Japanese. And then retranslating. Or making an American version where the American Arino just curses at the screen for an hour, and we learn all the various ways "gently caress" can be combined with other words. You won't expect "loving gently caress-burgers with gently caress ketchup and gently caress mayo, but gently caress the mustard."

If we dub it, I call Abe.

I wanna help with a dub. It'll be awful. :buddy:

Also there's still a WHOLE GAME you guys can translate so don't worry! Or you could do the full 24 hours of live footage. :downsgun:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

No no, you promised you were gonna sub Japanese-dubbed episodes of Seinfeld! :saddowns:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

rdbbb posted:

I got my In USA DVD today, so I did a quick and dirty scan of the inside of the "envelope" that comes with it.
Why is the flag on backwards? :911:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Heti posted:

are you legally blocked from doing the kotaku ones? I'd like to see the originals, can't stand that announcer enough to watch them.

Those episodes are on the DVD set from Discotek with actual good subtitles and the Japanese Audio as well, so they won't (re-)do them since they'll be available legally.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Ciaphas posted:

No no, you promised you were gonna sub Japanese-dubbed episodes of Seinfeld! :saddowns:

I'd watch "The Bet" with all the jokes re-explained. You can do it right after Arino challenges Dark Souls

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Volfogg posted:

Those episodes are on the DVD set from Discotek with actual good subtitles and the Japanese Audio as well, so they won't (re-)do them since they'll be available legally.

ah, ok cool.

redmercer posted:

I'd watch "The Bet" with all the jokes re-explained. You can do it right after Arino challenges Dark Souls

I hope someday they run out of retro games and start playing more modern ones. Dark Souls is the perfect game for this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heti posted:

I personally am not going to work on the Kotaku ones but zari-gani has already retranslated all of them for Discotek (available in two weeks!).

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 1, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Sweet display in Tokyo:

Interesting to see how they shifted elements of the picture around to make everything fit.

Random Stranger posted:

I included those in my math. :colbert:

Even Season Zero??

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 1, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Naw man, they gotta make him start playing the Game Boy games. (Did you know that you can play Game Boy on your SNES? I did!)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

zari-gani posted:

Sweet display in Tokyo:

This has to feel pretty surreal for you.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I wonder if the Japanese wonder about western GCCX infatuation with Inoko MAX, him being so prominently displayed on the poster? Or is he as popular there as well?

I think Abe is popular everywhere so that's no contest.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I always got the sense that they were amazed when they came over here that the fans knew, well, everyone and seemed to like them as much as Arino. What I can't discern is whether this is unusual for them back home or whether they simply thought we were ignorant of the show outside of KOTAK and just hadn't seen enough of the crew yet to know them well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jyrque posted:

I wonder if the Japanese wonder about western GCCX infatuation with Inoko MAX, him being so prominently displayed on the poster? Or is he as popular there as well?

I think Abe is popular everywhere so that's no contest.

Inoko MAX is relatively popular from what I've seen. Or at least he's the AD that people tend to remember. :v:

It also doesn't hurt that Inoko MAX is also featured heavily in the episode.

Now if we were all obsessed with Tsuruoka or Katayama then they might be confused. (It has occurred to me that I don't think Tsuruoka is even featured on a DVD set. Toujima assisted Arino with the DVD challenge that was made around the time that he was AD.)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

RadicalR posted:

Naw man, they gotta make him start playing the Game Boy games. (Did you know that you can play Game Boy on your SNES? I did!)

They could start doing more PSX games. (Ace Combat would be fun.)

jyrque posted:

Nakayama's ponkoron bow for SMS/notification or ringtone use:

.mp3 version.

I'm not familiar with Japanese culture. Is Nakayama's excessive bowing actually seen as rude, or is just just a silly little "tick" of sorts?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 1, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Three-Phase posted:

I'm not familiar with Japanese culture. Is Nakayama's excessive bowing actually seen as rude, or is just just a silly little "tick" of sorts?

It's not that it's rude, it's just excessive to the point of hilarity. Nakayama was probably really nervous: a lot of the new ADs seem to have trouble presenting themselves on camera.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Random Stranger posted:

We'll celebrate.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

xamphear posted:

This has to feel pretty surreal for you.

Gotta say, never thought my art would be plastered throughout Japan in any capacity. Here's another display:

Does anyone know if The Game Maker DVDs are worth getting, by the way? Very curious about those, but those Japanese DVD prices...

Crotch Bat posted:

I always got the sense that they were amazed when they came over here that the fans knew, well, everyone and seemed to like them as much as Arino. What I can't discern is whether this is unusual for them back home or whether they simply thought we were ignorant of the show outside of KOTAK and just hadn't seen enough of the crew yet to know them well.

I think they were shocked by the staff's popularity. They even mention in the episode that it was a surprise. If the Kotaku episodes were all the overseas fans ever saw, they wouldn't know much about the other staff. (That said, without knowing who'd be on the trip, I'm really glad that the two staff members I put in the poster actually went to the US and showed up in the special. I only wish I had put Kibe in there too.)

Random Stranger posted:

(It has occurred to me that I don't think Tsuruoka is even featured on a DVD set. Toujima assisted Arino with the DVD challenge that was made around the time that he was AD.)

There's 53 Stations and Quest of Ki. Unless you mean DVD exclusives. I've read that the staff regard Tsuruoka as the worst AD due to some huge mistakes he's made and sleeping on the job...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Does anyone know if The Game Maker DVDs are worth getting, by the way? Very curious about those, but those Japanese DVD prices...

I've been meaning to give them a try but there's always something else to get. Amazon.co.jp has them for 2400 yen which actually isn't bad as far as Japanese DVD's go (especially when you consider this is something of a specialty item). Or around 1500 yen if you're happy with a used copy. It's the shipping on getting that to the US that will kill you.

zari-gani posted:

There's 53 Stations and Quest of Ki. Unless you mean DVD exclusives. I've read that the staff regard Tsuruoka as the worst AD due to some huge mistakes he's made and sleeping on the job...

I was talking about the DVD exclusive but I hadn't heard that Tsuruoka was that unpopular. Inoko MAX screws up all the time, though, and they keep inviting him back...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I was talking about the DVD exclusive but I hadn't heard that Tsuruoka was that unpopular. Inoko MAX screws up all the time, though, and they keep inviting him back...

Yeah, but Inoue has a more endearing personality and his mistakes are many but relatively harmless. Tsuruoka's major mistakes are resetting Bikkuriman World, not realizing the much shorter route in F99 of Quest of Ki and guiding Arino to the reset item in F100 of Quest of Ki.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Dag. Plus, sleeping on the job is kind of a chump move no matter what.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Yeah, but Inoue has a more endearing personality and his mistakes are many but relatively harmless. Tsuruoka's major mistakes are resetting Bikkuriman World, not realizing the much shorter route in F99 of Quest of Ki and guiding Arino to the reset item in F100 of Quest of Ki.

That first one occurred to me as it might have been the one that got him really hated. That blunder meant they had to go to an extra day and that is about the most expensive error that you can make in television production.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Aw, I liked Tsuruoka. He was almost crying over that continue fail. Arino pulls them often enough but I guess he gets cut more slack. He shows up sometimes to play songs, doesn't he? It didn't seem like anyone disliked him... :(

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

That first one occurred to me as it might have been the one that got him really hated.

I'm sure he really felt the Wrath of Kan after that.

Corridor posted:

Aw, I liked Tsuruoka. He was almost crying over that continue fail. Arino pulls them often enough but I guess he gets cut more slack. He shows up sometimes to play songs, doesn't he? It didn't seem like anyone disliked him... :(

I'm sure they like him just fine as a person. He just wasn't a great AD in their eyes.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
So are the ADs basically interns? If so it's just so cool that they get so much screen time and focus. It must feel good to be new to the television industry and be on tv.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

I'm spoilering this since we're talking about episode details.

I think the problem is that when Arino screws up it's part of the show. When Tsuruoka screwed up then they had to let Arino have another chance to be fair. It was too late at night for them to play back to that point so that meant they had to go to day two for the challenge. Even when that makes for good television the producers (not just Kan) are going to be royally pissed.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Awwww. And after all the dioramas he spent hours working on. :( They probably have chewed the poor guy out for ages. Such an easy mistake to make, too.

Anyway, another question... I'm rewatching the earlier episodes (Sasano :3:) and I was wondering why they pronounce dragon the English way - 'duragon'. It's not like they don't have plenty of dragons in their own culture. Plus the one they were referring to in this instance (Ghosts N Goblins) was an Eastern dragon in any case. I get why they say various game terms like 'gamey obera' and 'continue' and stuff the English way, but 'duragon'?

On a side note, god it's hard to go back to the TV Nihon translations after so much zari-gani. "The staff tell me I have the rank of daichou (Japanese floor manager)" "Uwa! Something came out! Uwa!"

e: It cracks me up how they pronounce Satan so literally.

e2: I just noticed that during the interview with Kojima (who seems totally awesome), the clip they play of MGS is in English, with David Hayter's voice. Don't tell me the original MGS is voiced that way... :aaa:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Corridor posted:

Anyway, another question... I'm rewatching the earlier episodes (Sasano :3:) and I was wondering why they pronounce dragon the English way - 'duragon'. It's not like they don't have plenty of dragons in their own culture. Plus the one they were referring to in this instance (Ghosts N Goblins) was an Eastern dragon in any case. I get why they say various game terms like 'gamey obera' and 'continue' and stuff the English way, but 'duragon'?

There's no real set rules in fiction for this sort of thing. It's probably written that way in the manual or something. Sometimes they just want to be exotic.

edit:

quote:

e2: I just noticed that during the interview with Kojima (who seems totally awesome), the clip they play of MGS is in English, with David Hayter's voice. Don't tell me the original MGS is voiced that way...

I don't think it is, but Kojima prefers dubbed MGS to the original VA.