Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

Wow, that looks terrible. It sounds like Atlus really wanted you to like this new girl. I do like that there's yet another big bad though, because five apparently wasn't enough. If anything highlighted the problems with the game's story, it's this.

Get this too, for her boss battle they use the best version of I'll Face Myself. So they really, really, really wanted you to give a poo poo about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^^^ Are you being for real?

Wasn't there an entire dungeon/event thing added with the ski-trip? Have people already played the game and confirmed that there's nothing worth caring about? It seems like there's enough stuff added to justify buying the game if you like Persona 4 (if you have a Vita[you don't]).

Hace fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 1, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Artix74 posted:

Goddrat. I cannot wait for this poo poo. At least we'll have (presumably) have Soul Hackers to hold us over until SMT4 drops.

You'll also have Etrian Odyssey IV, which is looking really, really good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

King of Solomon posted:

I own a Vita, but I'm not going to lie, I kind of always planned on getting one specifically for P4G (Gravity Rush just kind of pushed me into getting it earlier than intended.)

I did the exact same thing. Was gonna get a Vita for P4G but I had extra money and Gamestop had a sale where you'd get a game of your choice for free out of a select few and they were offering Gravity Rush which I really wanted to try.

I probably wouln't have bought the system just yet if P4G wasn't coming out for it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I figure that there are eventually going to be games for the Vita I'm going to want aside from P4G. So I don't look at it so much as "buying the system for a single game" as "investing in a new system."

That said, what do you care if we want to blow our money on this, Sex? It's not like it's any skin off your back how we waste our hard earned cash. I mean, if you don't care enough about it to purchase it, that's fine, more power to you, but why are you trying to dissuade the rest of us?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not trying to dissuade anybody (Except maybe a bit for the guy I responded to originally). Ibram Gaunt asked if P4G was worth getting at all, I answered his question with some detail. If you want to buy a Vita for P4G then go for it, it's all yours. I'm not going to try and stop you from dropping nearly 300 on it right now when you could wait until it's cheaper and it has games a year down the line, that's your business. I may not agree with it, but you have the right to do with your money whatever you wish.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 1, 2012

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Well you see he probably has watched official Japanese Release playthrough, and despite not understanding what was said on the screen he clearly didn't enjoy what he saw. He suffered so we don't have to.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maybe P4G alone wouldn't do it, but the Ys IV remake coming down the line is probably enough to seal the deal for me at least.

I'm probably going to get a 3DS for just SMTIV though :( And, uh, NSMB2? Maybe Soul Hackers, though didn't some people here say it was actually kind of mediocre?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm not trying to dissuade anybody.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

There's really nothing about P4G that is particularly interesting in terms of characters, gameplay, and story beyond the Adachi S. Link. Everything else added is not going to add to your overall experience, unless there are people who really believe that an extra 2 hours of gameplay for a lame dungeon, a new lame character they insert into the game like she's always been there, extra scenes that don't amount to anything other than fluff, and everything else added is purely aesthetics. If you've played P4 to death, there's nothing that P4G that is offering you that warrants you buying a Vita and the game.

Thank you for your completely unbiased opinion of this game you've yet to play(?) Sex_Feguson.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Maybe P4G alone wouldn't do it, but the Ys IV remake coming down the line is probably enough to seal the deal for me at least.

I'm probably going to get a 3DS for just SMTIV though :( And, uh, NSMB2? Maybe Soul Hackers, though didn't some people here say it was actually kind of mediocre?

I believe TurnipFritter confirmed that Soul Hackers' gameplay was kind of mediocre, but it's still playable enough. I don't remember him ever commenting on the story, though.

EDIT:

Hace posted:

Thank you for your completely unbiased opinion of this game you've yet to play(?) Sex_Feguson.

I actually didn't go by large telling people to not buy it, my original post was entirely directed towards the one guy who originally asked. I don't know why you're getting so uptight about this.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 1, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Also: Lots of PSP games and PSOne Classics. There's some good stuff buried in there like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Nate RFB posted:

It's a mid-nineties Sega Saturn game and it definitely shows its age. You may enjoy it, you may not, but you can probably wait and check out reviews of the English version (or impressions in this very thread) before you make up your mind.

Meanwhile, here are some other great titles you might be interested in: New Super Mario Bros. Land, Pushmo, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, and Etrian Odyssey IV.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So I assume they just did a quick n dirty facelift like Persona 1's PSP port? A bit disappointing but I'll prolly pick it up anyways.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TurnipFritter posted:

It's a mid-nineties Sega Saturn game and it definitely shows its age. You may enjoy it, you may not, but you can probably wait and check out reviews of the English version (or impressions in this very thread) before you make up your mind.
Panzer Dragoon Saga was a mid-nineties Sega Saturn game and that was good!

Might as well wait and see, though really it's not like there's much to choose from on the 3DS just yet anyway so whatever probably wind up picking it up anyway.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 1, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So I assume they just did a quick n dirty facelift like Persona 1's PSP port? A bit disappointing but I'll prolly pick it up anyways.

There's quite a bit of work put into it, the graphics have been updated to fit Vita standards. There's a lot of purely aesthetic additions (new costumes, holiday scenes, gardening, online dungeon thing), what they do add to the gameplay is rather trivial, there's two new S. Links and the new dungeon is about two-hours long.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I actually didn't go by large telling people to not buy it, my original post was entirely directed towards the one guy who originally asked. I don't know why you're getting so uptight about this.

I was just disagreeing with you? To my knowledge you've yet to even play the game for yourself, so I just think that it's largely misleading to say that you're giving personal impressions of it's quality thusfar.

Edit: Also I'm curious, is the ski trip thing just totally short/glossed over? I swear there was skiing in the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

There's quite a bit of work put into it, the graphics have been updated to fit Vita standards. There's a lot of purely aesthetic additions (new costumes, holiday scenes, gardening, online dungeon thing), what they do add to the gameplay is rather trivial, there's two new S. Links and the new dungeon is about two-hours long.

Oh whoops, I meant to quote Turnip fritter's post about Soul Hackers.

But yeah on P4G It's a deal breaker that there doesn't seems to be any content I care about besides Adachi's S. link, so I'll prolly hold off on getting a Vita for a while. But oh well.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

More or less. I'd say that added more to the gameplay of Soul Hackers 3DS than they did with Persona 1 PSP, but it's still basically the same game.

They figured out how to make it run really fast with barely any loading, which is apparently something they couldn't figure out how to do with the Persona PSP ports, so it has that going for it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

I was just disagreeing with you? To my knowledge you've yet to even play the game for yourself, so I just think that it's largely misleading to say that you're giving personal impressions of it's quality thusfar.

Edit: Also I'm curious, is the ski trip thing just totally short/glossed over? I swear there was skiing in the game.

The ski trip is a thing that just sort of happens, the real content of the ski trip has nothing to do with skiing, but the dungeon that takes place very soon afterwards. You get a scene of the group learning how to ski, them in a cabin and then BAM, new dungeon, which is... sort of a point of no return.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

:stare:
According to the Atlus USA Facebook page the Solid Gold Edition of Persona 4 Golden is sold out and not taking preorders at "Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, EBGames.ca, as well as the physical GameStop stores." The only place it's left is "GameStop.com and EBGames.com".

I'm probably playing right into Atlus's hands, but I ended up reserving a copy from Gamestop.com when I read this. At least reserving is free. If it really is scarce, and I end up not liking the swag, I can sell it pretty new to someone who might want to pay more, which would end up paying for a copy of P4G when I actually, you know, plan to own a Vita.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The ski trip is a thing that just sort of happens, the real content of the ski trip has nothing to do with skiing, but the dungeon that takes place very soon afterwards. You get a scene of the group learning how to ski, them in a cabin and then BAM, new dungeon, which is... sort of a point of no return.

I still think you're being overly dismissive about everything, but hey who knows! I don't really hold any animosity towards the new character since I know nothing about her so, but maybe if I hate her too most of the game's content will be spoiled to me as well.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Hace posted:

I still think you're being overly dismissive about everything, but hey who knows!

Hey I like persona 4 as much as the next guy and if it were coming out for ps3 that it (in addition to uncharted, journey, yakuza etc) would convince me to go get a playstation.

But it isn't. It's coming out on a 250 dollar paperweight. That is by far the bigger stickler here than a lack of new content.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
No yeah there's no way in hell it's worth getting a Vita for, I totally agree. I mean I'm totally banking on it being ported onto the PS3 eventually, especially if the Vita is still a huge disappointment a year or two down the line.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Hace posted:

No yeah there's no way in hell it's worth getting a Vita for, I totally agree. I mean I'm totally banking on it being ported onto the PS3 eventually, especially if the Vita is still a huge disappointment a year or two down the line.

A year or two down the line they'll port the Persona 4 remake to a then-8-year-old console?

No, if Sony is smart, they'll make the console port one of the first titles for the PlayStation 4 :newfap:

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The link to the new character's page on the wiki.

Haha oh my god that's just pathetic sounding. If it's even 1/10th as bad as the wiki makes it sound she's going to be the most akwardly tacked on character in games in years.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

POWERFUL rear end SWEAT posted:

A year or two down the line they'll port the Persona 4 remake to a then-8-year-old console?

No, if Sony is smart, they'll make the console port one of the first titles for the PlayStation 4 :newfap:

I was kind of hoping they'd release it over PSN in lieu of P3, but yeah you're totally right. :sigh:

On the other hand, if someone figures out how get CFW on the Vita, and subsequently PS2 emulation running halfway decently, I'll snatch one up in literally seconds.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm not trying to dissuade anybody (Except maybe a bit for the guy I responded to originally). Ibram Gaunt asked if P4G was worth getting at all, I answered his question with some detail. If you want to buy a Vita for P4G then go for it, it's all yours. I'm not going to try and stop you from dropping nearly 300 on it right now when you could wait until it's cheaper and it has games a year down the line, that's your business. I may not agree with it, but you have the right to do with your money whatever you wish.

Having not played P4 I went ahead and grabbed the Vita. I anticipated SMT support so there was some disappointment when the Soul Hackers/SMT4 news came out. That being said, there are some sweet bundles coming out. Black Friday could be interesting for the Vita.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Catalina posted:

:stare:
According to the Atlus USA Facebook page the Solid Gold Edition of Persona 4 Golden is sold out and not taking preorders at "Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, EBGames.ca, as well as the physical GameStop stores." The only place it's left is "GameStop.com and EBGames.com".

I'm probably playing right into Atlus's hands, but I ended up reserving a copy from Gamestop.com when I read this. At least reserving is free. If it really is scarce, and I end up not liking the swag, I can sell it pretty new to someone who might want to pay more, which would end up paying for a copy of P4G when I actually, you know, plan to own a Vita.

How did you work it to be free? I tried this just now and it declined my (to be fair, empty at this moment) card, so either it wanted to charge me or it just needs to "see" that I have funds, which'll be another nine days :(

I guess PM me when you get yours if you still aren't getting a Vita, 'cause I need this something fierce.

Vita chat: look dudes the PSP is my currently most-played system due to homebrew, how long do you really think it's going to take them to crack the Vita? I'm upset at not having UMDs because I don't believe in buying digital, but I'll get over it. I'm not so much buying a Vita for P4G, rather I'm buying P4G and using that as an excuse to get a Vita since by that point I can afford it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Actually Vitas do have physical media. They're carts, generally for most games you can go physical or digital.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dr Pepper posted:

Actually Vitas do have physical media. They're carts, generally for most games you can go physical or digital.

Yeah, this is true. It just means you can't play PSP games on it (unless you change your mind about buying digital.)

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, this is true. It just means you can't play PSP games on it (unless you change your mind about buying digital.)

Right, that was my point, I'm unwilling to convert my physical library to digital.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vanov posted:

How did you work it to be free? I tried this just now and it declined my (to be fair, empty at this moment) card, so either it wanted to charge me or it just needs to "see" that I have funds, which'll be another nine days :(

I guess PM me when you get yours if you still aren't getting a Vita, 'cause I need this something fierce.

If you order onine at Gamestop or Amazon, you're not charged the price of the game until it ships. I guess you were declined because of funds. :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I use my Vita a lot. Put in let's say 100 hours between Disgaea, Gravity Rush and fighting games, MGS: PW was a lot better on the big screen with two analog sticks and put in about 40 hours, have a lot of PSP games on the system that I never played on PSP, and now that there's PS1 stuff I'm playing FF9. So it's basically games you want to play again: the system but I'm ok with that.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
The Adachi s link is enough for me because they'll never give me enough Adachi merchandise to spend my dirty collector whore money on don't judge me.

Joking aside though I was going to get a vita eventually anyway, this just kind of fast forwarded the when. It's still better than the original reason I bought my psp and I loved my psp. Playstation's been having lovely launches for ages now but they still end up my favorite systems eventually. :unsmith: I wouldn't recommend others buy it for only P4G though unless you can see yourself maybe being interested in other future titles too.

Also are you loving making GBS threads me with the preorders? I was hoping that wouldn't happen- amazon and eb games in store have always been good to me but the online system GameStop and eb use hosed me over so bad with P3P I neither got my game, the preorder bonus or my money back.
Yeah sure I may buy a vita for P4G but the day I order online with those guys again... yeah no. We'll see. :colbert: I have a line somewhere. That incident was very much a "never a-loving-gain" deal, it was that bad. Those bonuses are hardly worth it anyway.

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 2, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr Pepper posted:

Is it still true that the physical carts load faster than PSN-downloaded games on the Vita?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Playing P3P on hard and I'm stuck on the floor 110 boss. I could beat it pretty easily with Magic Mirrors + Wind Break, but I can't find a list or anything that tells me which personas learn Wind Break. I'm level 32. Anyone have a list or database or something like that I could check?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DeathBySpoon posted:

Playing P3P on hard and I'm stuck on the floor 110 boss. I could beat it pretty easily with Magic Mirrors + Wind Break, but I can't find a list or anything that tells me which personas learn Wind Break. I'm level 32. Anyone have a list or database or something like that I could check?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/971508-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-portable/faqs

Specifically this guy: http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/971508-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-portable/faqs/60399

edit also I wish I thought of that combo, that's genius

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Catalina posted:

If you order onine at Gamestop or Amazon, you're not charged the price of the game until it ships. I guess you were declined because of funds. :(

Just wanted to say thanks again for the tip, I got mine preordered today so yay! :)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vanov posted:

Just wanted to say thanks again for the tip, I got mine preordered today so yay! :)

Yay, that's great! I'm glad I was able to help. :)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe someone can help me. I'm at the true ending dungeon in P4 having :smugteddie:bearly survived the last boss. I am around level 74 and have spent all my money on healing items. I have no way to recover SP outside of the fox and have no soul items. Am I pretty much screwed on the final boss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dehry posted:

Maybe someone can help me. I'm at the true ending dungeon in P4 having :smugteddie:bearly survived the last boss. I am around level 74 and have spent all my money on healing items. I have no way to recover SP outside of the fox and have no soul items. Am I pretty much screwed on the final boss?

The true, for real, actual last boss honest this time guys was actually really easy for me. Then again I pretty much breezed through the game once I got past Kanji and got to the point where I could start making good personas.

If you need SP for the MC, you could always keep a persona with an SP restoring ability and run through an early dungeon. I for one ended up with a Black Frost with one of the SP restoring skills and put the game on auto, fought an enemy who nulled phys and attacked with fire and went to get a cup of tea for myself.

Honestly that Black Frost carried me along for a crazy long time. I think I ended up using it enough that it was still pretty useful even in the endgame, with it's mind charged agi/bufudynes, immunity to fire and ice, and SP restoration every turn. I'm pretty sure I managed to put either wind or elec resist on it too.