Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I love in LA Confidential when Exley is going to the house to look for the kidnapped girl and he briefly looks in his coat pocket for something. His backup asks what he's looking for and Exley says "never mind". It took me a second to realize he was looking for his glasses again. If he openly stated it the scene would have lost all of the tension, but it's still pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimpleSandwiches
Apr 15, 2009
In The Big Lebowski , Walter interrupts The Dude and Donnie while they're watching that performance-art-piece. He says he knows where the missing briefcase is and rattles off an address. Donny asks a few times, "That's near the 'In 'n' Out Burger'?" (Resulting in, IMO, the funniest, "SHUT THE gently caress UP, DONNIE!" in the whole movie).

The next scene is the interrogation of Larry and the memorable, "This is what happens, Larry...".

After they're chased away by the furious neighbor, the next scene is the 3 of them in the car, eating "In 'n' Out" burgers.

It's hysterical.

SimpleSandwiches has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Aug 31, 2012

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore

SimpleSandwiches posted:

In The Big Lebowski , Walter interrupts The Dude and Donnie while they're watching that performance-art-piece. He says he knows where the missing briefcase is and rattles off an address. Donny asks a few times, "That's near the 'In 'n' Out Burger'?" (Resulting in, IMO, the funniest, "SHUT THE gently caress UP, DONNIE!" in the whole movie).

The next scene is the interrogation of Larry and the memorable, "This is what happens, Larry...".

After they're chased away by the furious neighbor, the next scene is the 3 of them in the car, eating "In 'n' Out" burgers.

It's hysterical.

What's even more hysterical is that The Dude isn't even eating, he's just got that seriously angry stare the entire time.

Of course, that movie is filled with them. Like the fact that the Dude wrote a check for .69 cents or some small figure, but watch that scene again and you can tell it's been post dated, to I think 9/11 of all dates.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Suzuki Method posted:

Not so sure if this is considered subtle enough but this shot from Drive is my favourite shot in any film, symbolizing the fact the Driver is about to become a dark intrusion on her family.

Yes. I thought this was a fantastic shot.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Wiley360 posted:

What's even more hysterical is that The Dude isn't even eating, he's just got that seriously angry stare the entire time.

Of course, that movie is filled with them. Like the fact that the Dude wrote a check for .69 cents or some small figure, but watch that scene again and you can tell it's been post dated, to I think 9/11 of all dates.

Didn't ever notice the check being post dated but the date on the check is Sept. 11 1991. Exactly ten years before 9/11. Movie was made before 9/11 so just weird coincidence.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

1stGear posted:

That's called an Oedipus complex.

You sure it isn't called edible complex?

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Didn't ever notice the check being post dated but the date on the check is Sept. 11 1991. Exactly ten years before 9/11. Movie was made before 9/11 so just weird coincidence.

Look closely at his checks, you'll notice they have whales on them...later in the movie, we see The Dude listening to whale sounds on his Walkman

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

SimpleSandwiches posted:

It's hysterical.

I like the more subtle moment there when Walter tries to say "SHUT THE gently caress UP DONNIE" and gets shushed himself.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Alhazred posted:

You sure it isn't called edible complex?

You're the worst.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
In Chasing Amy, there's the scenes that obviously references Jaws but what I like is near the end of that scene: After Banky and Allysa have compared several scars that chronicle their sexual escapades, Holden pulls up his sleeve slightly and considers his scar for second before realizing he is out of his league and remains quiet. Just like Chief Brody with his appendectomy scar in Jaws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD26xyWewcE&t=130s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjNzwEULG8

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

A few years back the local TV station aired The Terminator and this happened:

Kyle Reese: "What day is it? The date!"
Cop in Alley: "12th... May... Thursday..."

Laying on my couch, I realize it's actually Thursday May 12 IRL.

Good job local TV station!

Edit: This must have happened in 2005...

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My private The Big Lebowski theory is that The Dude in fact owns the bowling alley.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zushio posted:

My private The Big Lebowski theory is that The Dude in fact owns the bowling alley.

I don't know if this counts as subtle, but the whole movie is a film noir detective movie with the Dude replacing the detective. Bunny is basically the maltese falcon from the film of the same name.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

rodbeard posted:

I don't know if this counts as subtle, but the whole movie is a film noir detective movie with the Dude replacing the detective. Bunny is basically the maltese falcon from the film of the same name.

I've mentioned it to a number of my friends. They all think it seems plausible but no one had actually caught it before. I'm glad someone can back me up!

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Except it's sort of a film noir with a narrator who got thrown into the wrong genre, which I also find hysterical about the movie.

I introduced a friend to it a few weeks ago. She liked it but didn't immediately love it (which, I didn't either, to be fair). I had trouble explaining to her WHY exactly I like the movie so much. It really is just a bunch of little things that stack up.

One of the things I like about it is how the Dude borrows dialogue from other characters. "In the parlance of our times" is the example I always think of immediately.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zushio posted:

I've mentioned it to a number of my friends. They all think it seems plausible but no one had actually caught it before. I'm glad someone can back me up!

I'm not sure he was backing up your point about the Dude owning the alley. What points to that being the case? If it's true, what would that achieve in the context of the movie? Why would the Dude live in a shithole if he was rich enough to own his own bowling alley?

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005

Leovinus posted:

I'm not sure he was backing up your point about the Dude owning the alley. What points to that being the case? If it's true, what would that achieve in the context of the movie? Why would the Dude live in a shithole if he was rich enough to own his own bowling alley?

Small business owners are totally rich, all of the time, ever.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
His house is so close it's probably part of the same property.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Zushio posted:

His house is so close it's probably part of the same property.

So the Dude's landlord owns the bowling alley?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Really? We're going to do this about The Big Lebowski?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

1stGear posted:

Nothing is sacred.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Falling Down was filmed during the LA riots. The citywide rioting isn't the director's doing but it really compounded with the narrative quite well and added some flavor to the film. Angry white male rampaging across urban L.A. with violence against minorities as a recurring motif to a narrative concurrently set in a town that's tearing itself apart with racial tensions boiling over.

Rodney King(RIP) and the LAPD may have ushered in the grandest mise en scene I've ever seen. None of the rioting is explicitly depicted. However, since when was good cinematography about explicit imagery? As we watch D-FENS going home it becomes apparent that something isn't right about that town and he's only along for the ride.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

1stGear posted:

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man. :smug:

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Double Muhammad posted:

Falling Down was filmed during the LA riots. The citywide rioting isn't the director's doing but it really compounded with the narrative quite well and added some flavor to the film. Angry white male rampaging across urban L.A. with violence against minorities as a recurring motif to a narrative concurrently set in a town that's tearing itself apart with racial tensions boiling over.

Rodney King(RIP) and the LAPD may have ushered in the grandest mise en scene I've ever seen. None of the rioting is explicitly depicted. However, since when was good cinematography about explicit imagery? As we watch D-FENS going home it becomes apparent that something isn't right about that town and he's only along for the ride.

It's also a really good mind-gently caress if you don't know the plot going into this movie. I watched it when it came out, and had no idea what it was about. It opens to Michael Douglas in a car in traffic, Joe Everyman stuck in a mundane situation. Knowing Michael Douglas and the fact that he's the first thing you see, you peg him as the hero. The first thing he does is abandon his vehicle in traffic. A dick move but right from there you are cheering for him because, Hey I've always wanted to do that, just say "gently caress it". His goal is stated, he just wants to go home. That sounds good, he's the good guy. Then his crimes start escalating, but you are given reasons for what he does. "He beats these guys up, bet they are gangsters trying to rob/kill him" but as things go, his crimes escalate, and the reasons for his crimes get thinner and thinner. But it's subtle, and soon, you are cheering as he murders a golfer on a golf course because of his crimes of being a jerk. Then the titular line on the docks "So wait, I'm the bad guy?" and everything falls into place. He's not the good guy, he's a creepy stalker terrorizing his ex-wife, the guys a sociopath and... you've been cheering him on this whole time. You WANTED him to kill the people he killed... You wanted him to go 'home'. Up until this point the bumbling cop moments from retirement was the antagonist, he was the bad guy, and why? because they set up Michael Douglas as the good guy through how he was introduced in the film. Through common cinema conventions they got you to root for the bad guy and actively boo and hiss at the good guy. Not through their shades of grey actions, but through pure cinematography. I thought it was pretty smart, it was the first time I had ever watched a movie where the lead character wasn't the hero. That really had an effect on me.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Wait, seriously? During the entire film I felt uncomfortable because I knew people would actually root for D-FENS, despite him clearly being a) unhinged b) a dick. All those 'I'm just an ordinary guy why doesn't everything go my way????' speeches just reeked of egoism and a complete lack of empathy. I guess I can see someone rooting for him when he attacks the gangmembers - it was arguably self-defence. But thrashing a store because you don't want to pay the full price of a can of coke? Shooting up a fastfood joint because they stopped serving breakfast? Blowing up a road because whatever? How can you root for any of those things? How can you ignore him terrorizing his ex throughout the entire movie?

I'm sorry, but if it took you until D-FENS himself said so to figure out he was the bad guy, you're pretty hosed up yourself.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Am I thinking of the wrong movie or wasn't the point that he wanted to get killed so his ex could get the insurance? His briefcase was empty because he didn't actually have a job or something.

I haven't seen it since it was released, so I might be misremembering.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
D-FENS was laid off from his job but continued to go through the actions getting to and from work. I don't think they expand much further on that point past him keeping his work status to himself and his mom not knowing. I always assumed he was covering up the facts so his mom wouldn't ask questions and start riding his rear end to get a new job.

I guess LA's infrastructure was bad enough back then to lead the one guy with nowhere to go and no deadlines to meet down the path of insanity.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Well the only person he actually kills is the Nazi guy so he's not all bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In The Rock there's a scene with this big machine that doesn't seem to have a purpose other than to have big moving parts and shooting flames. It has the word "Bay" stamped on the side of it.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

R. Mute posted:

Wait, seriously? During the entire film I felt uncomfortable because I knew people would actually root for D-FENS, despite him clearly being a) unhinged b) a dick. All those 'I'm just an ordinary guy why doesn't everything go my way????' speeches just reeked of egoism and a complete lack of empathy. I guess I can see someone rooting for him when he attacks the gangmembers - it was arguably self-defence. But thrashing a store because you don't want to pay the full price of a can of coke? Shooting up a fastfood joint because they stopped serving breakfast? Blowing up a road because whatever? How can you root for any of those things? How can you ignore him terrorizing his ex throughout the entire movie?

I'm sorry, but if it took you until D-FENS himself said so to figure out he was the bad guy, you're pretty hosed up yourself.

I interpreted it as an acknowledgement of how ridiculous normal life can be sometimes, but that doesn't give a person the right to be a maniac. That was basically Duval's speech at the end. We all get annoyed at shop owners, restaurants, traffic, etc. But that's life. You deal with it, you ignore it, you move on. You don't solve it by being a giant rear end in a top hat.

If anything, the movie is a precursor to modern Internet culture that is nothing but hyperbole and hatred. Michael Douglas is just a nerd fantasy who's angry that someone gave him a weird look in public, overcharged him, or insulted his favorite video game. He thinks normal people are morons who are beneath him, but they all see him as a lunatic who never learned to socialize.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So Michael Douglas is all those guys that watch Taxi Driver and go "Yeah, that's totally what I'd do"?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Praseodymi posted:

So Michael Douglas is all those guys that watch Taxi Driver and go "Yeah, that's totally what I'd do"?

Yeah, I'd say that sums it up.

a world called z0r
Aug 31, 2012

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Haha, this is great. He just narrates each scene without adding anything. "Und here I am vurking at my job as a construction vurker." "Now here is ze gross scene vere I remove ze bug from my nose und it is really gross, it is a great scene."

And you did exactly the same thing as Arnold by explaining the video and I'm doing the same thing by explaining your post.

My head hurts.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

1stGear posted:

That's called an Oedipus complex.

If there was any relationship between Bruce and his mother in Begins, you might be right, but there seriously is none. At all. The two characters never interact.

The object itself is a reflection of Bruce. Its story throughout the films mirrors his. In the end, it illustrates that his character has come full circle by moving beyond the murder of his parents, giving up his death wish, and actually finding happiness and closure. Reducing it to a mere Oedipus complex is just juvenile and myopic.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

NGL posted:

My favorite aspect of The Dark Knight Rises, I think, or at least the one I keep coming back to, is Selina Kyle wearing Martha Wayne's pearls at the end. It says so much about the character of Bruce and his development over the course of the trilogy.
It's not that subtle, they mention it in the scene right before the end. They are cataloging his estate and handing stuff out, right after Blake leaves with his bag the guy with the clipboard says something like "we're still missing those pearls, don't want to have to mark them down as missing" which obviously they last we saw them Bruce has just taken them back from Selina

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

R. Mute posted:

I just watched it for the first time today and I have to agree with this.

I'd say if the movie hadn't started with his interaction with the Korean shopkeeper and instead with, say, the gangbangers or the neo-Nazi, it'd be a lot easier to sympathize with D-FENS and be strung along on the idea that he's the "good guy". However, his behavior in the Korean shop is so grandiose and self-important I couldn't wait for him to get what was coming to him, even when he was tangling with the bad elements of society.

I suppose another message to be taken from D-FENS is that a bad guy who fights other bad guys does not a good guy make.

Eclipse12 posted:

If anything, the movie is a precursor to modern Internet culture that is nothing but hyperbole and hatred. Michael Douglas is just a nerd fantasy who's angry that someone gave him a weird look in public, overcharged him, or insulted his favorite video game. He thinks normal people are morons who are beneath him, but they all see him as a lunatic who never learned to socialize.

To tack on top of this, all while he is raging against the machine, he never bothers to reach out to anyone who can correct any of the problems he has with society. He impotently thrashes out at people who have no authority or means to help him, other people who are at the bottom of the totem pole: The cashier at Whammyburger cannot make the burger look like the one on the menu, the construction worker can't cancel the road construction, the shopkeeper can't change his prices and stay profitable, the country club members can't magically turn the course into a public park. He's a worthless, whiny prick lashing out at people like a 4chan troglodyte telling people to kill themselves, making a lot of noise but effectively accomplishing nothing.

On that note, I think I would really like to see a modern version of the Taxi Driver/Falling Down concept, but with some internet slob who takes his frustrations out on the real world like D-FENS. If done well enough, it would be another great honey-pot like Travis Bickle or D-FENS for people to oust themselves as identifying with the main character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pretty soft girl posted:

I suppose another message to be taken from D-FENS is that a bad guy who fights other bad guys does not a good guy make.

... but a good guy who tries to stand up for himself via non-violent means gets crushed by the system and ignored by everyone. There's the scene where he's buying the snowglobe for his daughter and a guy who was refused a loan for being "economically unviable" gets arrested for protesting outside the bank. Everyone else on the street completely ignores him except for D-FENS who he tells "Don't forget me." Just in case the audience didn't get the message the guy is actually dressed exactly the same as D-FENS right down to the same pattern on his tie.

Oh and the tune the snowglobe plays is "London Bridge is falling down," a song which keeps getting referenced throughout the film and which even gives it its title.

pretty soft girl posted:

To tack on top of this, all while he is raging against the machine, he never bothers to reach out to anyone who can correct any of the problems he has with society. He impotently thrashes out at people who have no authority or means to help him

Impotence, rejection and the inability to reconnect are the major themes in the film.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

a world called z0r posted:

And you did exactly the same thing as Arnold by explaining the video and I'm doing the same thing by explaining your post.

My head hurts.

On the subject of DVD commentary: I heard that when Dennis Hopper did the commentary for Easy Rider, he had completely forgotten everything about it and so it was as if he was watching it for the first time. I don't have disc Netflix, can anyone confirm or deny this

The Slip
Dec 27, 2009
I don't know how subtle this necessarily is. I decided to watch the Three Colors trilogy back to back each night this weekend, and I just started watching part 2: White. If I hadn't watched Blue last night, I don't know that I would have picked up on the main character from Blue stepping into the court scene at the very beginning of White, which seemed like a throwaway scene when it happened from her perspective in Blue. It sounds confusing by the way I described it, but it's a nice nod that I can't help but fall in love with, connecting the stories without trying to rub it in my face.

But seriously. Everyone should watch these films. They're fantastic, and at this point I don't even mind if Red tomorrow night doesn't quite live up to these two. Though something tells me it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
"The Boston gig has been cancelled. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a big college town."

This Is Spinal Tap draws its whole humor from subtlety. I'm sitting here talking to my roommate about how this movie is amazingly spot-the-gently caress-on. Christ, the scene where they're talking about how the cover of the album is inappropriate, both David and Nigel have visible herpes.